• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I never reflected on the fact that blunda and gapa don't exist as verbs in English. Now it's gonna annoy me to no end.

We swedes love creating verbs. We do it with all manner of nouns, and even have a word for it (though I don't think it's recognised by SAOL). "Verba." Which is in itself, if you paid attention, a noun turned into a verb.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I don't see why you'd need 2. You don't have two different words for each of your grandfathers or grandmothers.
You might not see why you'd need two because it's probably not typically relevant where you're from. Family dynamics are sometimes different in various cultures. For example, Ancient Greek allowed a lot of specificity in terms of referring to relatives, largely due to traditions of inheritance and distinctions between the mother/father side, making such distinctions important at the time.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
You might not see why you'd need two because it's probably not typically relevant where you're from. Family dynamics are sometimes different in various cultures. For example, Ancient Greek allowed a lot of specificity in terms of referring to relatives, largely due to traditions of inheritance and distinctions between the mother/father side, making such distinctions important at the time.

Yup. And I mean, if you looked at any language with that 'why is it necessary' mindset you could remove a lot of words.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The french word "dépaysement", the closest I could find is "fish out of water"

Also "flâner", closest would be "wandering around".

"empêchement", when you can't make it at an meeting or appointment. Wait, no real word also for "Rendez-vous" ? Seems like there are different words in english for specific cases (like date) but you can use this one for all in french.

"Spleen", describes the sensation that comes from a profound feeling of dissatisfaction and discouragement (from Baudelaire).

"Sortable", to qualify one person you can go out with without feeling embarrassed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LookAtMeGo

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Yeah I like sehnsucht. Its fascinatimg how a simple word in another language can mean something or represent a feeling you've never really been able to describe in your native language.

Just knowing that a word does exist for it makes it seem more "real" if that makes any sense..

I wish I knew more languages.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think English has a word that describes all of these together? In Norwegian we call them "bestikk".

VisBildeServlet
It's "Silverware" and I'm a little annoyed the folks who quoted you didn't know that.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

yeah, and other languages also often have words for, example, the "middle" child, or the "youngest", etcetera.
I guess we Dutch don't really care, as long as it is "gezellig" :P

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Vakidioot, a Dutch word for someone who's an expert in his own field but knows nothing outside of it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese - shikatanai - means basically it can't be helped. It's used a lot in times where it can be helped, but sometimes there's literally nothing you could have done to stop something happening.

Japanese - yoroshiku onegaishimasu - it's used in so many contexts and situations there isn't really even a literal translation, but I love it as it encompasses so much stuff.

Hentai and Ecchi. (No joke)

The closest English translation would be Lewd.

Hentai means pervert in English. If you're calling someone a hentai you're calling them a pervert. The English adopted usage of that word to describe erotic anime is wrong.

H (Ecchi) - is harder to translate but it's as you say used to describe anything mildly erotic or lewd.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
The English word is ereyesterday.
I've airways said "the other day." Is that not as common as I think?

Adding to the above, you have all your favorite lazy translation catchphrases, shikatanai being one, but also omatase (kept you waiting) specific words when leaving or coming home, itadakimasu before eating, and others im too lazy to think of atm, I'm a hundred years too early to be posting this (even though that ones not just one word.

And yeah, yoroshiku onegaishimasu means a lot of things, most of the time it's "nice to meet you," like that one time in Persona 5 when it should've been translated that way, but they decided to be literal and make it "take care of me" which had me banging my head.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Well as a non-uppity Jones, silverware has only ever meant spoons, forks and butterknives that go into the silverware drawer after cleaning the dishes/emptying the dishwasher.

But I guess that's just an evolution of a word that technically means what you all were saying. But STILL lol.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
We're big fans of just taking words from other languages and adding them to our own.

This is kind of the thing. If something becomes relevant in English it gets its own word, usually on loan. It's why English is such a godsawful mess. Our farm animals are Anglo-Saxon (cow, sheep, etc) but our meat is French (beef, mutton). Our homes are German, unless they're a domicile in which case they're Latin. To entertain ourselves we can go Japanese for Karaoke, go French for the theatre, a mix of Latin and Greek for Television, or go Dutch and end up on a booze cruise.

Want to go to sleep? Well put on some pyjamas (Indian) or a mix of German and Norwegian for nightclothes!

We've stolen from Russian (the blindly loyal bureaucrat - an apparatchik), Spanish (Mosquito, Mustang), Italian (Hey presto, a soprano prima-donna!), even African words (Hey, a chimpanzee on Safari playing a banjo!).

The English languages steals and bastardises words from basically everywhere then adds them to compounds, verbs them, mutates them some more, and then 4 centuries later gives a historian a headache because there really shouldn't be a common root to two words...but there is so they have to deal with it. About the only word we think might be an English original is "dog" which just appears with no real etymology.

Better than asking what words are missing in English is to ask what the English language hasn't stolen yet.

As a post-script I do think we need a word for the emotion felt when raising up a mug of tea, only to find one has already finished it. Sadness doesn't quite cover that one.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
on the other hand, many languages have to thank english for the word "Timing"

I speak daily a ton of Spanish and German and BOTH languages are in urgent need of a word of their own for that one

"ja das war ein perfektes Timing" or " como que el timing no fue el correcto", people just got tired of finding a single word that explains exactly that.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
spanish has tons of terms for extended family that just get lumped into "cousin, uncle, or aunt" in english.

Priapus

Oct 27, 2017
the swedish word "olla", which means to secretly rub the head of your penis (your "ollon") on someone else's possessions in order to humiliate and/or prank them
Like my Dutch compatriate said already; swaffelen seems the compareable term for us.
kalsarikänni

(slang, often in plural) Getting drunk in one's underpants at home, usually alone.
Mitä teit perjantaina? —Olin niin väsynyt, että menin kotiin ja vedin kalsarikännit.
What did you do on Friday? —I was so tired that I went home and got drunk alone.

That's so Finnish.:D

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Like my Dutch compatriate said already; swaffelen seems the compareable term for us.

Not really. The definition of "olla" is weirdly specific and narrow. It can only be used describing the action of putting the actual head of the penis, the "ollon" against something. Not slapping the penis around willy-nilly in that whimsical dutch fashion we all know and love. This is swedish precision work at its finest.

Incidentally, "ekollon" means acorn in swedish, oak-ollon. So that's kind of fun.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not really. The definition of "olla" is weirdly specific and narrow. It can only be used describing the action of putting the actual head of the penis, the "ollon" against something. Not slapping the penis around willy-nilly in that whimsical dutch fashion we all know and love. This is swedish precision work at its finest.

Incidentally, "ekollon" means acorn in swedish, oak-ollon. So that's kind of fun.

Lmao. The Dutch word for dickhead is 'Eikel' which is the same word we use for an acorn hahaha

We also have the verb 'eikelen' which sort of means being annoying...being a dickhead.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if they have a word in another language for it; but we could do with a word to mean 'sunny, but in a bad way'. Like when it's too sunny and the sun is pointy and burns and hurts. Sunny always sounds nice and pleasant.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

The English localiser's nightmare. Though I'd argue we can use the word "classic" similarly, at least in a sarcastic, colloquial sense. "Psh, classic Yosuke-kun."

Translator's note: 'Sasuga' is a Japanese word encapsulating the meaning of "That's just the kind of thing/conduct/action one would expect from this particular person/in this kind of situation".

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
There is the german word "Muss" which would be literally translated as "Must" or "have to" but is also used in a different context that doesn't have a proper translation in english (i think)

Muss is the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and you'd rather die than go to work but you go anyways because you gotta pay rent.
Muss is the feeling when you're piss soaked in rain but continue onwards because your car broke down.
Muss is the feeling of dread whenever you do something unpleasant you don't wanna do at all, but have to continue doing.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that since we dont have a word for that, that we have never actually felt that feeling?
There's a theory in linguistics called the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis which basically claims that our language affects how our brain works and how we think. It has sbee discredited since, and I don't think any modern linguistics believe it any longer. If you're interested in this, there should be some reading that doesn't get too far into the weeds of linguistic theory available on Google, especially after Arrival (because the movie hinges on the concept). Just be careful because it will spoil the movie for you. The hypothesis is covered in most Ling 101 classes, I'd imagine.

I think the modern explanation though would be that we do feel or experience these things but simply have not found an eloquent way of articulating them. There are concepts distinct to a certain culture, of course, and English also borrows and co-opts and remixes words and phrases from other languages all the time.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
No. Day translates as dag. Døgn would be used where in English you talk about 24/48/72/96/etc. hours.
Day has a lot of meanings, though...and the distinction between a day (a period of 24 hours), and the day (the daytime/light hours). An exception being if the the is the definite article (which is pure context) in which case it CAN mean the 24 hour period again but is usually referring less to the time/light, and more a general imminence or proximity of something important e.g. "Today's the day"

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird that English doesn't have a good word for someone who works under someone else. "He is my manager. I am his ________." In Japanese it's "buka". It's usually translated as "subordinate", but no one says that in real life. I usually hear people say "employee" but you're not an employee of the manager, you're an employee of the company.

I don't think English has a word that describes all of these together? In Norwegian we call them "bestikk".

VisBildeServlet

I would call these utensils.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Yall* need to read The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd. They used place names (which are useful words that are otherwise uselessly hanging around on road signs) to describe a great many common things that were previously un-named. You can read an incomplete version here: http://lib.ru/ADAMS/liff.txt

Some genuinely useful ones:
KENTUCKEY (adv.)

Fitting exactly and satisfyingly.
The cardboard box that slides neatly into an exact space in a garage,
or the last book which exactly fills a bookshelf, is said to fit 'real nice
and kentuckey'.

I use this one all the time.

BODMIN

The irrational and inevitable discrepancy between the amount pooled and
the amount needed when a large group of people try to pay a bill together
after a meal.

"Don't worry, I'll cover the Bodmin. Someone else can leave the tip though."

And some funny ones
SOLENT (adj.)

Descriptive of the state of serene selfknowledge reached through drink.

TOOTING BEC (n.)

A car behind which one draws up at the traffic lights and hoots at when
the lights go green before realising that the car is parked and there is no
one inside.

And so on. The definitions fit the word sounds very well :)

* Drop the apostrophe! The Campaign for the Second Person Plural Pronoun will not rest!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's weird that English doesn't have a good word for someone who works under someone else. "He is my manager. I am his ________." In Japanese it's "buka". It's usually translated as "subordinate", but no one says that in real life. I usually hear people say "employee" but you're not an employee of the manager, you're an employee of the company.

I've worked a few places where the manager thinks they're separate from the staff.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The English languages steals and bastardises words from basically everywhere then adds them to compounds, verbs them, mutates them some more, and then 4 centuries later gives a historian a headache because there really shouldn't be a common root to two words...but there is so they have to deal with it. About the only word we think might be an English original is "dog" which just appears with no real etymology.
This isn't unique to the English language. Not sure why you write about it like it is.

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
The English localiser's nightmare. Though I'd argue we can use the word "classic" similarly, at least in a sarcastic, colloquial sense. "Psh, classic Yosuke-kun."

Translator's note: 'Sasuga' is a Japanese word encapsulating the meaning of "That's just the kind of thing/conduct/action one would expect from this particular person/in this kind of situation".

typical?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
No, silverware includes all household silver like candleholders etc.

Like mentioned previously 'cutlery' is the translation of 'bestikk'

Like 99.999999% of US households do not have silver candleholders or any other form of household silver, and when they say silverware they are referring to (usually non-silver) knives, forks, and spoons.

However, if you are allergic to descriptive linguistics, then I think the term you want is "flatware". "Cutlery" is a less precise word because it is also used to describe knives used in food preparation, whereas flatware is only used to describe the knives / spoons / forks used in eating.