• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Tough one:
Is there a word for the opposite of "thirsty" in any language?

Our dictionary (D) created the artificial term of "sitt" (related to "satt" for the opposite of "hungry") for that feeling, but nobody ever uses that.

Last edited:

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed.

What I find so interesting about these kind of 'language black holes' or unique-to-a-language words is that it often tells you something about the culture. The English don't have 'gezellig' because they don't really have that concept in other forms than 'cozy'. It's like how Inuit languages have more words for snow to be able to identify the different types better (if that isn't an urban legend). Or the Portuguese word Saudade, which just like gezellig, is a feeling that is part of the culture.

It's not always that we don't have that concept, just that we have ways to express it that do well enough so the language has not needed a special word. Like in this example :

Ubermorgen or 'the day after tomorrow'. It's dumb that we don't have a word for it.

Most people know what day of the week it is and in that situation it would be common just to use the name of the day instead. So if it's Monday I don't need to say the day after tomorrow I just say Wednesday. Or if you are talking about a sequence you can just say 'the next day' which can also be chained without requiring more words for the day after the day after tomorrow, and so on.

I don't think English has a word that describes all of these together? In Norwegian we call them "bestikk".

VisBildeServlet

The word is Cutlery.

More formally, including plates and everything it's a Setting, or Table Setting.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The English localiser's nightmare. Though I'd argue we can use the word "classic" similarly, at least in a sarcastic, colloquial sense. "Psh, classic Yosuke-kun."

Translator's note: 'Sasuga' is a Japanese word encapsulating the meaning of "That's just the kind of thing/conduct/action one would expect from this particular person/in this kind of situation".

Not a single word, but would "Of course" or "Not surprising" work for this?

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
To share some more Portuguese:

Desenrascar
"estar à rasca" > be in trouble
"Des" > undo
So it's roughly "unbe in trouble". It's used when you have a situation and you have to find a solution for it, whatever it might be.
"Isto é muito trabalho" (This is a lot of work)
"Desenrasca-te" (Make do? Find a solution?)
We also have a dirty version: "desemerda-te". "Unshit yourself".

Know that sensation when you just woke up and don't want to get up yet?
"Estar na ronha" (To be with ronha, a disease that affects sheep). Basically means "to do nothing", usually in a very cozy manner.

A gross one:
"Escarrar". It's spitting, but specifically applies to phlegm, specially if it's nice and green (escarro). If it's just saliva it's "cuspir".

Oct 25, 2017
"Feierabend", one of the most important German words.
It's the point in time when work stops. People yell it a million times a day.
Kind of crazy how there is no direct equivalent.

Feierabend_deutschwortschatz.jpg

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Not a single word, but would "Of course" or "Not surprising" work for this?

Those could all be accurate translations depending on the context, but 'sasuga' covers a broader set of situations. We pretty much only use "Psh, typical" negatively, for example, whereas 'sasuga' works either way and is probably used positively more often than not. If someone's just done a good job with something and you want to praise them with the implication that only they could have performed so well due to some unique skill or talent they have, that's a classic 'sasuga' situation.

Mar 3, 2018
There's a Dari and Urdu word ; Gheywrath / Gairat

Its basically having a sense of pride, and protection towards you wife, sister, mother and the women close to you. Its like pride but more specific.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
The Finnish word "löyly". I don't think there is an English translation. It's the steam that rises in Sauna when you throw water on the stove. But it's also sort of used to describe being in Sauna.

Johan oli perkeleen hyvät löylyt = That was damn good sauna bath ???

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there is a long list of curse words that have no meaningful translations between the language of origin or their usage, probably because insults are supposed to be personal, but also become unpersonally generic over time. Unfortunately a lot of them are either sexist or racist, even if they dropped those in their casual usage, so I won't mention or list them here. Just realize that curse language is actually the one thing you can't really translate, ever.

It's like someone suddenly using "Flying green monkeys!", which makes absolutely no sense to anyone who has never seen the US Hollywood versions of The Wizard Of Oz. Or for that matter Burt Ward's: "Holy something, Batman!". You can try to translate that, but the joke is lost in the process (and ho boy, do the wonders of dubbing make that obvious). Which btw, becomes really obvious when you're watching cartoons with (your) kids and notice all the odd phrasings that happen from 'untranslatable' jokes and lines. Sometimes the best solution is to not even try, like Big Mac's "yup" in My Little Pony.
(or "oh boy" itself for that matter. )

But anyway, I'm going to with:

Zeitgeist, or: that one word you know but you don't really understand why philosophy majors will suddenly show murderous rage in their eyes upon hearing it. Also a password in the first Deus Ex game. Suck it, Gunther.

But really it's supposed to be the 'general social feeling of a particular time and place', or something akin to that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Short versions of "The day after tomorrow" and "the day before yesterday", in Spanish are pasado mañana and anteayer.

But then there are Japanese "the week after next", saraishuu, and sensenshuu, "the week before last". So cool.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While we technically have a word for it, it's kind of weird that English speakers don't use 'Daughter' as a proper noun the same way we use 'Son'. For example:

"Come here, Son" - sounds pretty natural

"Come here, Daughter" - no one talks like this unless you're Thanos

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While we technically have a word for it, it's kind of weird that English speakers don't use 'Daughter' as a proper noun the same way we use 'Son'. For example:

"Come here, Son" - sounds pretty natural

"Come here, Daughter" - no one talks like this unless you're Thanos

Like another poster said, English has a weird problem with gender when talking to either one or many. It sounds fine to say "Hi guys!" But saying "Hi ladies!" or "Hi gals!" Sounds odd. "Hello son" sounds way more natural than "Hello daughter".

Meanwhile, My girl can go hang out with her girlfriends all she wants. I'm gonna get hella sideeye if I go chill with my boyfriends.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that English doesn't have a good word for someone who works under someone else. "He is my manager. I am his ________." In Japanese it's "buka". It's usually translated as "subordinate", but no one says that in real life. I usually hear people say "employee" but you're not an employee of the manager, you're an employee of the company.

The word you are looking for is "report" as in "to report" to a manager. For example "ElectricKaibutsu's reports" are people under under you. Though people generally uses the verb phrase when speaking of themselves "I report to ElectricKaibutsu". A report is anyone you are a manager for. You can further specify "direct-report" for just people you manage but not people they manage.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I use 讨厌 (taoyan) a lot, which can be exclaimed alone as kind of a catch-all of disgust (you can use it for "Ugh!", "I hate it!", "You're annoying and/or gross!"). Since I'm a hateful downer, this is very convenient.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Is that really specific for the group of fork, knife and spoon? Couldn't some other tool be called an utensil?

Silverware

That would be the word. Utensil is too open, as you suggested.

It used to mean things that were covered in silver like dishes, knives, Etc. That doesn't really apply anymore. If you go anywhere in the US and ask for "silverware" they'll know what you mean.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
Zeitgeist, or: that one word you know but you don't really understand why philosophy majors will suddenly show murderous rage in their eyes upon hearing it. Also a password in the first Deus Ex game. Suck it, Gunther.

But really it's supposed to be the 'general social feeling of a particular time and place', or something akin to that.

Zeitgeist is perfectly usable in English and (according to the OED) has been since the 19th century.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Spanish "estrenar", which means to use something for the first time. To debut, to break in, to "use for the first time" are just not acceptable substitutes.

Estoy estrenando zapatos > I'm wearing these shoes for the first time.

Me estoy estrenando como chef > I recently started working as a chef.

Ando estrenando novio > I have a new boyfriend.

It's honestly very useful.
There is a word it's just not used with the same context and familiarity as we do. Estrenando in English would be premiering.

El canal 4 va estar estrenando una película

Channel 4 will be premiering a movie

Antier doesn't have word in English though, it means the day before yesterday.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
There is a word it's just not used with the same context and familiarity as we do. Estrenando in English would be premiering.

El canal 4 va estar estrenando una película

Channel 4 will be premiering a movie

Antier doesn't have word in English though, it means the day before yesterday.
Antier estrené zapatos.

I've heard people saying you can't say "desvelado" / "desvelarse" in English, but I think "to undersleep" is close enough, even if not exactly the same.