• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In your opinion, what is the best Metroidvania game of all time?

• Super Metroid

Votes: 370 32.7%
  • Castlevania: SOTN

Votes: 273 24.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 323 28.5%
  • Ori and the Blind Forest

Votes: 91 8.0%
  • Axiom Verge

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 64 5.7%

• Total voters

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thread is asking the title question really, what are the absolute top tier Metroidvania games, and why? Which are your favourites, which ones are underrated, and what makes them so good?

I beat Hollow Knight at the weekend and I'm still reeling from how good that game is, so what are the other games in the genre you would consider to be the best of the best, and what are the games from the genre you would say are must plays?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Super Metroid very well might be the closest to perfect of any video game I've ever played. Absolute masterpiece.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Steamworld Dig 2 springs to mind, the progression in that game was just perfect. There was always something new to play with, the pacing was spot-on and it didn't outstay its welcome. Wonderful game.

Also had a great time with Shadow Complex. But it's been almost ten years since I played that.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think the best one is probably Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, while my favourite is Symphony of the Night.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Axiom Verge is good but it definitely does not deserve to be on this list, to be honest.

I'll keep stanning for Environmental Station Alpha. Best Metroidvania game I've played in recent years. The post-game content is ludicrous.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ori and the Blind Forest is by far the best Metroidvania I've played.

Super Metroid is a classic, Hollow Knight has some great aspects, Guacamelee is very fun, SotN is dripping with atmosphere.

But Ori is just beautiful - platform gameplay, level design, art, music, story. It's a Perfect Game.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Order of Ecclesia > Metroid Fusion > Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet are my top three for metroidvania.

Looking very forward to Bloodstained though.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Ori is the best one in the voting list. Super metroid overrated af. Messy game with very basic visuals and bad movement/controls

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid is king, but Ori and the Blind Forest and Guacamelee are my favorites

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the DS Castlevania games. I constantly get them mixed up because I played them all back to back but I love the soul stealing from enemies to get special powers.

I also think that Cave Story never gets mentioned enough in these threads. It's a massive achievement for a single person and for someone who was mostly PC oriented in the 2000s, that game was awesome.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Of those I've played, Symphony is by far my favorite.
But there is an elegance to Super Metroid that makes it the better game in my opinion.
I think that is due to the lack of rpg elements. Now those are a plus for me but that allows Metroid to have a tighter focus overall. While Symphony is kind of a glorious mess.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I went Hollow Knight. It's overtaken Super Metroid for me. Mainly as it controls far better and has better combat. Metroid is more impressive for its time though. The level of atmosphere both games have is amazing for 2d games.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of those it's:

Tier 1
Super Metroid
Castlevania

Tier 2
Hollow Knight

Tier 3
Axiom Verge
Ori

Each tier is a huge step up

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Super Metroid has still not been touched and the next three or so would me Metroid games too, Zero Mission, Prime and Prime 2.

Aria of Sorrow is the only Castlevania game that would enter the next tier.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's Ori without a doubt, and it's not even close. All the other games are good, but Ori nails every single aspect.

Super Metroid and SOTN have the nostalgia factor, as does Order of Ecclesia, but I couldn't possibly put them on the same level.

Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge are on a different tier, and I don't think they are better than many others like Momodora, SteamWorld Dig 2 or even stuff like Dead Cells and Valdis Story.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow knight for me.

Pushes forward on the exploration aspect significantly without going into the obtuse like La Mulana (although that is my second favourite), it's a game that wants you to take your time and absorb it, gives purpose to the world and intrest throughout its characters and environments, less item biased progression than other metroidvanias which often became far too predictable and goes for player customisation instead which is more engaging. It actually tries to invoke different emotions in the player which I haven't seen from a metroidvania before. It has some fun boss battles and some engaging platforming as well as a wealth of content and lore if you want to dig into that.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I heard Touhou Luna Nights is one of the best games out there. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Super Metroid and Order of Ecclesia for me. Hollow Knight might make it with less padding and better save/travel mechanics.
Bloodstained has me quite impressed so far, though.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Aside from the fact you can lock yourself out of 100% completion, Tomba's event system is one of my favourite additions to the genre.

The gameplay is tight and the world is charming as hell too. Definitely an underrated pick I'd put in my top 5.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight and SOTN. Ori is marred by the god-awful (imo) "escape sequences", its still great tho.

Ironically, shantae and the Priate's Curse is top-tier for me, I say ironically because that is a weird series where each game is a bit different, but Pirate's Curse is just absolutely fantastic and, honestly, a near perfect metroidvania.

I have a soft spot for Salt & Sanctuary myself, but that's because im a big Souls fanboy.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Needed to come in here and say Aria / Dawn of Sorrow because I don't think they get their due, especially DoS.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Elliot Quest is one of my personal favorites. Even though it doesn't call itself a Metroidvania, it has many of the same stylings. It's a great Zelda II homage with really neat level design. Can't praise it enough.

I agree that Guacamelee is a top notch, but I'm not sure it fits the genre too well. I've always thought of it as a brawler/platformer mainly.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid isn't even the best Metroid game, let alone the best Metroidvania. Zero Mission is definitely better, and Fusion arguably is. Outside of 2D, I'd put at least Metroid Prime 1 above it too.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Aria of Sorrow for me, great level design, great visuals and music and I love the Souls mechanic. Trumps SOTN for me.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I mean, it's an SNES game... Of course it has basic visuals?

and bad movement/controls

Wha...? Super Metroid has one of the best, most responsive controls out of the SNES and platformers in general, especially compared to other Metroidvania types.

It had so many great ideas and the 'NES Glitches as gameplay' was quite brilliant. Some amazing 'keys' evolved the formula.

But the whiny protagonist and lame story were downers. Bad bosses and too many weapons too.

There were some cool aspects to Axiom Verge (I really like the fever dream stage, it's amazing), and I definitely liked that it didn't use the genre staple power-ups like double jump - the glitch gun in particular is cool - but the game has a lot of flaws. The boss fights, as you say, are very bad, and are definitely not helped by the weapon arsenal - there was some interesting guns in there, but honestly, I ended up using the same 2 or 3 weapons, most of which from the early game, all the time regardless because they were just so much better than the bizarre weapons you end up finding later on.

That said, I think my biggest issue with Axiom Verge, and pains me to say this because in a vacuum, the art direction is really awesome and I just adore how alien it is - is the visual overload.
703274_scr2_a.png

I am red-weak colour blind, and I struggled every so often discerning foreground, destructible objects, enemies, projectiles, background and once you pick up the red coat, the player character. It doesn't help that the health bar also is red.
And even in the areas where that colour blindness didn't affect me, I found the visuals to be super busy way too often.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
For Metroidvanias with RPG elements: The Castlevania Sorrow Duology (Aria/Dawn of)
I'd also like to give a shoutout to Environmental Station Alpha (ESA) for a more traditional Metroid-like without any fancy RPG-nonsense. It's from the developer of Baba is You.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the many excellent examples already mentioned, I gotta mention Rabi Ribi, if only for the insane boss encounters - basically take Metroidvania and cross it with bullet hell boss fights. Some of the most fun I've had with boss fights ever.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
To this day Super Metroid is the only game I can confidently give a 10. Not that the game is perfect, but it's as close as it's gonna get.

Some of the more renowed games in the genre focus too much on platform challenges or combat for my tastes. SM has a perfect balance.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Hollow Knight, game is an instant classic and does everything better than other games in the genre. i love that it is so long and you just keep digging deeper and deeper into the world.