• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm building up my 3DS library a bit now that games are cheap. I've used a lot of top 10 list videos but the vast vast majority of the games are Nintendo games because that's what people mostly bought Nintendo systems for.

But I'm interested in other games! Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater, Sonic Generations, Bravely Default!

What non-Nintendo games on 3DS would you recommend?

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The entire Atlus library.

Devil Survivor is one of the best games in general. Soul Hackers deserves to be played by anyone. Pick your Etrian Odyssey game.

Oh SMT4 is there, but I don't like that one.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Devil Survivor 2

Then there's the rest of the Atlus games depending on how you feel about first person dungeon crawling

Radiant Historia is very good, Resident Evil Revelations is probably the best looking game on the system

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
91e9VcXN6FL._SX679_.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 7 and 8 are both pretty rad. The graphics and frame rate in the latter are really rough though.
The Ace Attorney Trilogy as well as the other ports and sequels in the series are also worth playing for sure.

Also, CRIMSON SHROUD. Awesome JRPG in a tabletop style from legendary game designer Yatsumi Matsuno (FF Tactics, FF12, Ogre Battle, etc.) and a soundtrack composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto (FF Tactics, FF12, etc.). It's digital-only and 3DS exclusive by the way.

This game is very rarely talked about and if you like JRPGs you owe it to yourself to give it a try. It's got its share of issues, but it's very unique and worth playing for that reason -- much more rewarding than playing another Atlus or NIS style JRPG/SRPG. Also a relatively concise experience. Very little bloat, very lean. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy Life is a nice and cozy game.
I like the Dragon Quest ports.
Persona Q, Radiant Historia... Decent Atlus selection.
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Fun rhythm game.

Mar 19, 2019
Etrian Odyssey series and Bravely Default easily have the best class, skill and combat design of JRPG's period, not just on the 3DS, and do a really good job of fostering strategy over grinding and numbers' monopoly unlike any other JRPG.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Atlus games, all of them. They made like 14 games for 3ds I think.
My favourites are SMT4A, EO5 and Devil Survivor Overclocked.

jak153

Oct 30, 2017
If you're a hardcore dragon ball fan Dragon ball fusions is a fun rpg where you recruit characters from all the series to fight in a time space tournament

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default and Bravely Second are a duo of fantastic games. The implementation of the traditional job system is the best I've seen in any JRPG.

Jun 2, 2019
Bamco put two great games early with Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy and Ridge Racer 3D

Ace Combat also has a plus version with New 3DS improvements

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna say Dragon Quest VIII. Never played the original on PS2 but I had an awesome time playing the game for the first time on 3DS.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Monster Hunter 4/Monster Hunter Generations
Devil Survivor Games
Ace Attorney Trilogy
Persona Q
SMT 4
Stella Glow
I should start the etrian odyssey and SMT games i have in my backlog.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Don't recommend the horrible Bravely Second, stick to the FAR superior first game ;P

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
80s Overdrive
A-Train 3D: City Simulator
Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
Crimson Shroud
Futuridium EP Deluxe
Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D
Lifespeed
Mighty Gunvolt
Noitu Love: Devolution
Pocket Card Jockey
Puch Club
Proun+
SADAME
Severed
Siesta Fiesta
Steel Empire
SteamWorld Heist
Tokyo Crash Mobs

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus games - the thread.

Hell, they're the whole reason I bought the system (and I mean just SMT and Persona, not EO). The only other game I played on the system was Fire Emblem Awakening.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of the Abyss is a pretty good port (from PS2), and should be relatively cheap.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you have any other system that's capable of playing MGS3, I'd choose that system over the 3DS port. It was impressive for when it came out, but that 15 fps really killed the enjoyment for me. IIRC there's a demo on the eshop you can check out to see for yourself.

now to answer your question...

Fantasy Life

Rune Factory 4 (Probably not worth it as much if you cop Fantasy Life)

any of the Picross e games; e1, e2, etc.

Pocket Card Jockey is made by Gamefreak. It doesn't nearly enough love even when bringing up 1st/2nd party Nintendo games, so I'm adding that here. Most bang for my buck out of any 3DS game.

theatrhythm final fantasy is the best rhythm game for the system IMO. Lovely selection of songs from all the FF games, plenty of DLC too!

I forgot that the Bit.Trip saga also released on 3DS, that's also a phenomenal collection of rhythm games. The original Bit.Trip beat in particular is worth the purchase alone.

Monster Hunter 4U had my favorite single player out of all the 3DS monster hunter games. Idk if the online component is still active, but even then that's at least 100 hours of content for single player alone.

Outrun 3D is gorgeous. All of Sega's 3D classics are lovely, but this one's my fav.

Atlus's 3DS run was stellar. I def recommend you check out at least one entry from the 3DS Etrian Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei games. I've only played Etrian Odyssey IV and SMT IV, which from my understanding aren't the best ones available on the system. You may want to do some more research for which one is right for you. With that in mind, I do not recommend Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon. Too unfair for my taste. Shame there isn't a Shiren the Wanderer game...

Capcom's 3DS run was also fantastic. Monster Hunter was the cream of the crop, though.

BRAVELY DEFAULT IS THE BEST DAMN JRPG ON THE SYSTEM. Well I only played the first one. Apparently the 2nd is much better... so maybe that's the best damn JRPG on the system.

The Ace Attorney series is great. IDR if there were any 3DS exclusives in the series that made it west, but the rereleased collection of the GBA/DS ones is still worth checking out.

imo Shovel Knight looks and plays the best on the 3DS. I've played the game on PC, Vita, and Switch as well. The small screen really does wonders for the 8-bit aesthetic. This is another game that takes great advantage of the 3D feature.

Gunman Clive was a cute indie platformer. Sepia-toned cowboy vibes.

Dragon Quest VII and VIII both had admirable ports to the 3DS.

Every game on this list is available on the eshop. Several are eshop exclusive. If you are to pick only one game out of all of the ones I mentioned, get Pocket Card Jockey (eshop exclusive). Again, it's a gamefreak game so if you're a stickler it may still count as a "nintendo made game"... in which case go get Theatrythm.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Second was fine, though?

The characters and writing are so bad I struggled to get through the game, they weren't exactly great in the first one either but at least it wasn't offensively bad. Magnolia is one of the worst characters I've ever witnessed in a jrpg

The music was a massive drop in quality as well and the sound quality was all messed up for voices, it makes everyone sound like they have heavy lisps

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Seconding Etrian Odyssey V, also the best mainline game in that series. Etrian IV is very good as well, though I personally didn't like it as much as some of the others. As others have said, Atlus in general has had an outstanding run on the 3DS.

Get Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call if you're a Final Fantasy fan or rhythm gamer at all. It's fantastic. The older game is great too, but skippable if you play Curtain Call. And speaking of rhythm games, I loved the heck out of Hatsune Miku: Project mirai DX.

There are many, many great downloadable games as well. Level-5's Guild series is generally excellent, and I'm a big fan of the pixel art games published by Circle Ent./Flyhigh Works (Witch & Hero series, Ambition of the Slimes, etc.).

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest 8 is probably my favorite non-Nintendo game on the system (yeah yeah avatar quote)

The Sega 3D classics were all fantastic, except I remember there being some weirdo audio issues in Sonic 2.

OP
OP

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations! So Monster Hunter, SMT, Atlus Games and Bravely Default are games I should look at. DQ 7 and 8 I'll hold out for a Switch port in the future I think.

How is Sonic Generations? I hear it's quite different from the PS3 generation.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd also recommend looking at the Phoenix Wright trilogy on the 3DS. Touch / dual screens are the best way to play these games

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this two months ago on the recommendations of MH era as someone new to the series and I'm kicking myself for not getting into this series earlier. Game is legit crack.
If you have a switch get MHGU. It's still classic MH but with DMC/Destiny like supers/fighting styles. Tons of stuff to play with and learn. One of my favorites is brave LS. Gives R1 attack a guard point that does massive damage. The whole play style is based on non stop attacking and cutting through attacks. Also probably the largest monster list. Less about story like 4 is and more about the pure hunting aspect.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
If you have a switch get MHGU. It's still classic MH but with DMC/Destiny like supers/fighting styles. Tons of stuff to play with and learn. One of my favorites is brave LS. Gives R1 attack a guard point that does massive damage. The whole play style is based on non stop attacking and cutting through attacks. Also probably the largest monster list. Less about story like 4 is and more about the pure hunting aspect.
Actually, MHGU is what got me into the series earlier this summer. I made an LTTP thread about how much I liked it and asked for recommendations aside from World since that was already on my radar. 3U and especially 4U got a lot of mentions, so I bought 4U and just yesterday got around to getting 3U on 3DS.

And yeah, been switching between Adept and Valor Long Sword. Getting the parry off in the latter style's incredibly satisfying.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
REvelations and KH3D
images

Yeah they are far from the best RE and KH respectively but, impresdive efforts for a humble portable system regardless

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, MHGU is what got me into the series earlier this summer. I made an LTTP thread about how much I liked it and asked for recommendations aside from World since that was already on my radar. 3U and especially 4U got a lot of mentions, so I bought 4U and just yesterday got around to getting 3U on 3DS.

And yeah, been switching between Adept and Valor Long Sword. Getting the parry off in the latter style's incredibly satisfying.
Oh nice, Glad to see more people get in on the series. Sadly despite MHW hitting every bullet point I wanted (thought I wanted) story driven, open world-ish, better graphics, QoL updates, it was my biggest gaming disappointment.