• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Also Rune Factory is always fun
images

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Oh nice, Glad to see more people get in on the series. Sadly despite MHW hitting every bullet point I wanted (thought I wanted) story driven, open world-ish, better graphics, QoL updates, it was my biggest gaming disappointment.
I get that. I'm enjoying it a lot, but so far, I think 4U might actually be my overall favorite in the series.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Man, this thread really shows how much smaller the 3DS's third-party library is, compared to the DS's, or even GBA's. We're all mentioning the same games :\

Anyway, these are the ones I've enjoyed the most:
  • Resident Evil: Revelations
  • Monster Hunter Generations/XX (Japan only)
  • Bravely Default
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  • Fantasy Life
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
I also enjoyed these a lot, but they are harder to recommend:
  • The Alliance Alive
  • Little Battlers eXperience
  • Medarot 9 (Japan only)

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest 7 and 8 are both pretty rad. The graphics and frame rate in the latter are really rough though.
The Ace Attorney Trilogy as well as the other ports and sequels in the series are also worth playing for sure.

Also, CRIMSON SHROUD. Awesome JRPG in a tabletop style from legendary game designer Yatsumi Matsuno (FF Tactics, FF12, Ogre Battle, etc.) and a soundtrack composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto (FF Tactics, FF12, etc.). It's digital-only and 3DS exclusive by the way.

This game is very rarely talked about and if you like JRPGs you owe it to yourself to give it a try. It's got its share of issues, but it's very unique and worth playing for that reason -- much more rewarding than playing another Atlus or NIS style JRPG/SRPG. Also a relatively concise experience. Very little bloat, very lean. Good stuff.
Man, I appreciate on screen monsters for the 3DS for sure but DQ8 being a close port of PS2 JRPG mechanics is a bummer. The DQ mood and adventure are as vibrant as ever though.

I picked up Crimson Shroud without hesitation based on Matsuno's name power but I really should've hesitated a little because the game appears to be a Matsuno's love letter to table top DnD campaigns? I assume that's why there's so much dice rolling. I got no experience with that so that aspect just went by me.

Apr 19, 2018
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Fun rhythm game.

theatrhythm final fantasy is the best rhythm game for the system IMO. Lovely selection of songs from all the FF games, plenty of DLC too!

Get Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call if you're a Final Fantasy fan or rhythm gamer at all. It's fantastic. The older game is great too, but skippable if you play Curtain Call.

All correct. Definitely make sure you pick up Curtain Call instead of the original Theatrhythm. It offers everything the first title had and much more -- effectively rendering the original moot.

theatrhythm-review.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this thread really shows how much smaller the 3DS's third-party library is, compared to the DS's, or even GBA's. We're all mentioning the same games :\

Anyway, these are the ones I've enjoyed the most:
  • Resident Evil: Revelations
  • Monster Hunter Generations/XX (Japan only)
  • Bravely Default
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  • Fantasy Life
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
I also enjoyed these a lot, but they are harder to recommend:
  • The Alliance Alive
  • Little Battlers eXperience
  • Medarot 9 (Japan only)
Yeah for real I was quite surprised. Especially as I'm focusing on games unlikely to get a port to newer gen consoles (I didn't mention that because I didn't want to stifle discussion too much). The Atlus games are a great shout, and I have Theatrhythm already (awesome game).

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

I've been eyeing this game for a while, but I've seen rather mixed reviews. Could you tell us more about this one?

Futuridium EP Deluxe

I haven't played this on 3DS, but I have it on PS4 and Vita, and it is a great game on those systems. I imagine that the 3D effect combined with the clean polygon graphics would look nice on 3DS.

I wonder how I, Robot from Atari would fare if it somehow got a 3DS rendition?

Outrun 3D is gorgeous. All of Sega's 3D classics are lovely, but this one's my fav.

Oh yeah, this is beautiful on 3DS.

imo Shovel Knight looks and plays the best on the 3DS. I've played the game on PC, Vita, and Switch as well. The small screen really does wonders for the 8-bit aesthetic. This is another game that takes great advantage of the 3D feature.

Another good choice. This is a game that I bought originally on PS4 and Vita, and then later got for the 3DS also. It is a good fit for the system.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy Life and Picross 3D Round 2 are not just amazing 3DS games but games that are on my top 10 of all-time list. Amazzing titles you should absolutely pick up.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I appreciate on screen monsters for the 3DS for sure but DQ8 being a close port of PS2 JRPG mechanics is a bummer. The DQ mood and adventure are as vibrant as ever though.

I picked up Crimson Shroud without hesitation based on Matsuno's name power but I really should've hesitated a little because the game appears to be a Matsuno's love letter to table top DnD campaigns? I assume that's why there's so much dice rolling. I got no experience with that so that aspect just went by me.
I didn't mind that they didn't mix up al too much compared to the original. It's a nostalgia play after all. All of the QoL changes were very welcome though. My main issue was really just technical. The 3DS felt like it couldn't do the original justice and unlike the other remakes felt like a step back in terms of its visual appeal. Maybe if it would've been better if it was exclusive to the "new" models or pushed to Switch.

Yeah Crimson Shroud is kind of a mashup between combat-heavy tabletop RPGs and JRPGs. I wasn't super familiar with them at the time either, but I really liked the approach, its rapid pace and the general aesthetic. It's not a perfect game by any means, but I enjoyed how it sought to do something new. Very different from anything else in the JRPG genre.

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah CS is kind of a mashup between combat-heavy tabletop RPGs and JRPGs. I wasn't super familiar with them at the time either, but I really liked the approach, its rapid pace and the general aesthetic. It's not a perfect game by any means, but I enjoyed how it sought to so something new.
There's certainly nothing like that and it's excellently made, in mechanics and loot and presentation. Hitoshi Sakimoto's soundtrack is sinisterly atmospheric and the localization conveys Matsuno's intrigue and weary worldliness. I just got little history with it's inspirations so seeing a matter of fact text box over a figurine (complete with base) stating my dice roll failed to dodge the arrow just feels disconnected. But if table top and JRPG are what one is into, it's bound to be a great experience.
I didn't mind that they didn't mix up al too much compared to the original. It's a nostalgia play after all. All of the QoL changes were very welcome though. My main issue was really just technical. The 3DS felt like it couldn't do the original justice and unlike the other remakes felt like a step back in terms of its visual appeal. Maybe if it would've been better if it was exclusive to the "new" models or pushed to Switch.
I never played the PS2 version and picked up DQ8 because I had recently beat DQ11 and was hankering for some DQ so I didn't get the benefits of the nostalgia aspect of it. Alas. I was ready for 3DS level downgrades like midi music and graphics but the item management and less guided exploration plot progression was pretty cumbersome!

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've been eyeing this game for a while, but I've seen rather mixed reviews. Could you tell us more about this one?
well it is on the grindy side in that you need to replay races to get money for new entry fees but it looks gorgeous and performs amazingly. I've not finished it but I enjoyed grinding away. Wish it had more cool songs on the OST (you can at least pick which song is playing so I stuck with my fave most of the time).

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Stella Glow is a great SRPG. A little on the easy side, but it's great fun with much better characters than I expected. Soundtrack is also ace.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Culdcept Revolt is the best game in the long running series. No one mentioning it makes me fear it will be the last one to reach the West.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
well it is on the grindy in that you need to replay races to get money for new entry fees but it looks gorgeous and performs amazingly. I've not finished it but I enjoyed grinding away. Wish it had more cool songs on the OST (you can at least pick which song is playing so I stuck with my fave most of the time).

Cool. Thanks for posting your impressions!

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Devil Survivor Overclocked is the best game on 3DS, Nintendo or not.

3DS is the based Atlus machine along with PS2.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with those saying Sega 3D Classics. Soul Hackers is another great update of a classic. Shantae games are worth getting, too. Crimson Shroud's a lot of fun for a short strategy game.

Shinobi's an awesome exclusive game in the franchise even if it's not as nice looking as the Genesis/Mega Drive games.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
What non-Nintendo games on 3DS would you recommend?

Professor Layton x Ace Attorney (fantastic game and story with great production value and music).
Ace Attorney Trilogy
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice

Resident Evil Revelations (best looking 3DS game)

Street Fighter 4 3D (one of the best fighting games of all time)
Tekken/Dead or Alive (if you want a 3D fighting game)

Sonic Lost World (it is a very good 3DS game).

Tales of the Abyss

Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII

999 (DS game but you need it to play this fantastic trilogy)
Virtue's Last Reward (top 5 3DS/Vita game to me)
Zero Time Dilemma

Radiant Historia

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (best SMT game to me).
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Etrian Odyssey
Devil Survivor (both games)

Shovel Knight
Steamworld Dig 2
Mighty Switch Force 2
Mutant Mudds

Sega 3D Classics (especially Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2).

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The Alliance Alive, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, Monster Hunter Stories, Persona Q2, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, just to name some released in the past few years.

Also, don't go for top 10s, go for top 25s or more, that way you'll actually get some spread in the games featured.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Another vote for Theathrythm FF: Curtain Call on my part, stellar rhythm game.

(and I say that as someone who has never beaten a single game in the series)