• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Mainly because of the song lol

*edit* also Kimi no na wa opening, but I can't find any youtube of it XD

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Too many to name, but Death Parade comes to my mind first. So good.

While we are at this, can we also talk about the one and only best ED ever?

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Patlabor is the best one. Tough Boy the funkiest one.

Something a bit more recent, Sono Chi no Kioku (with the edit of the World stopping the time and then going against Star Platinum).

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of FMA:B's, but i'm not sure which, probably Period.
All but golden time lover are amazing.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I think theres been a lot of great picks in this thread. Many of the openings I see referring to are at times nostalgic or have sublime animation, others are art within themselves showing off some of the best and more inspiring aspects of what anime can accomplish. I don't think there is any bad picks throughout this thread (okay maybe a few but those seem intentional xD) for me though I love it when an anime opening either tells a story within itself or shows you EVERYTHING you need to know about the show you are about to watch. In theory I don't think there is any 'wrong' way to do an anime opening but those are two of the things that most resonate with me.

So getting to it, for telling its own story I present: Twin Star Exorcists Opening 2

Since this is kinda long I'm going to spoiler tag this, if you haven't seen the show there are spoilers here but I can't talk about the opening without spoiling anything so... yeah.

This is in many ways retelling the audience the main backstory of the first arc. We see Benio and Rokuro floating in the water clearly beaten down, seemingly defeated but still alive with Yuto standing before them, injured by smiling in his victory. The opening then cuts to two familiar pictures, Benio and her family and Rokuro and his friends from his dorm with the pictures burning away at the same focal point, Yuto (who is present in both) symbolizing how he has burned away everything our two leads cared about leading into the reveal of the series title and then the picture fades.

What comes next is showing the aftermath and trauma within those pictures, Rokuro with his bandaged arm clings to himself as he cries from realizing what has happened. Then Benio who hugs her parents Coffins not wanting to let them go. Both of them obviously younger then we first see them as revealing that this is clearly the past that unites them.

We then have several jump cuts of various characters, mostly the more minor characters that play apart of this arc and story but also hint at things to come (such as the shadow of Mayura clearly showing the impurity form she would take because of Yuto) We then focus on a large impurity clearly gathering power, we then cut back to the wounded pair of heroes from the beginning who struggle to reach out to each other but they are able to clasp their hands together both showing that they are going to use the power of the Twin Stars they share but also revealing that they have to do this together. Also I just want to mention this but the scenes with them in the water also hide the parts of each of them that would end up becoming impurities, Rokuro's arm which is obvious but Benio's legs as well which is a rather well hidden spoiler once you know what ultimately happens in the fight with Yuto,

We return to the big impurity with the 'current' Benio and Rokuro working together to take it down, showing off each of their own abilities such as Benio's speed and Rokuro's crazy power. It does a great job of showing how Benio becomes a distraction in order for Rokuro to get into position to really unleash his full power.

The opening comes together after the impurity is defeated, cutting back to the past version of Benio and Rokuro but instead of being alone like they were before their future selves (and by future I mean future, not the 'current' selves I mentioned that were doing the battle in the previous part) are their to comfort them, smiling as a sign that everything will eventually be okay, as a great nod to how well they put both a past, future, and current versions of these characters within this opening future Benio has the hairclips that Rokuro would give her at the end of the arc, showing how far off the future versions of themselves actually are.

We fade quickly in to the aftermath of the battle showing a confidant and happy version of Rokuro and Benio before fading back into Yuto, who is squaring off against the 'current' Rokuro and Benio but this time wearing the 'master' outfits their future selves where wearing showing the growth their current selves have made over this arc but also this opening. They attack together with the Twin Star Sword power which makes the whole screen go white before we fade in to a much more destroyed setting but a smiling but injured Rokuro being held by a crying Benio who has now lost her original hair clips just how it plays out within the arc showing they were victorious over Yuto in the end which leads to them becoming the future selves that would ultimately comfort their past selves.

All in all it does a great job of telling the major things within the arc and the real importance that the two find within their conflict with Yuto, each other. Also the song kicks ass and the animation is extremely well timed to the various parts of the music.

Now as for an opening that tells you everything you need to know about a show: Slayers Next

Slayers is a great series in the opening for its second season 'Next' does a great job of telling you so much in this one opening. It starts off showing both the world that the story takes place in then jumping right into some serious elements with Zelgadis and various other characters while also showing you the general theme with it clearly being a fantasy show that seems to be fairly serious then Lina casts as spell and it turns into some food while Gourry falls down in the background revealing that this is also a comedy. We continue with some more serious elements for awhile but jump back to comedy showing that the show can both be serious but also be hilarious all the while also seeing various characters draw weapons as well as casting spells as if ready to fight. The opening then centers on Lina our main character for a bit showing off her full character design (which is by far one of my favorites, seriously Lina is such a fun character that should be infinitely more popular then she is) and she even gets to show off a bit with the Ragnablade a spells he learns in Next but also revealing a hint of the power behind that with the golden Aura and lightening that takes old in the aftermath of her attack.

We then see some more adventurous scenes with the 4 main heroes dancing and traveling showing that this show has a lot of adventure in it before cutting to Martina who seems to look the part of a sinister villain before her she is hit from behind by a large mural of a monster that if you watch the show you'll know she made up, showing that comedy is in every aspect of this series. It ends with a few small reveals and a hint of a romantic pairing with Lina and Gourry before ending on a group shot of the main 'heroes' with two of the more sinister characters appearing in the background.

In the span of 1 minute and 30 seconds this opening tells you all that you need to know, its a fantasy anime that plays it both comedic and serious both of which it does extremely well. It shows various hints about character relationships and who is on whose side as well as showing off both returning characters from the original series and new characters as well, the only thing I think it doesn't get a chance to show is Xellos being funny, I mean he ends up being one of the most hilarious characters in the show but the opening doesn't capture that instead making him look much more like a sinister villain when... Okay he kinda is but really he is much more a third party most of the time with 90% of his interactions being humorous in nature.

Slayers is a fantastic show that like I said about Lina deserves to be infinitely more popular then it is. With how popular Konosuba is I'm surprised more people haven't seen Slayers since it really pioneered the comedic fantasy show back in the 90's and I'd say Konosuba owes a lot of what works in that to Slayers. I mean the whole concept of a group of what amounts to comedic rejects working together and fuck up a lot is literally what Slayers is most of the time.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Partial to the Dimension W OP, myself. It's so ridiculous.

The Mekakucity Actors OP is also really fun!

These 2 are mainly due to their music choices (especiially Mekakucity), but overall still really good!

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned... Except for this one:

CUZ I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

The bass line at the chorus bumps so hard, and the animation's stellar.

Farsi

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many good ones have been mentioned, I kinda feel it's my duty to post such a bad one that it's actually good.

Song is catchy and great but the visuals are a such a huge ??? and the outro shot made me burst out laughing when I first saw it.

Not a fan of Naruto, but this opening has always stuck with me because I think it's amazing.

Not only is the song great, but the intro shot is iconic. I love how the first minute sets the tone for the entire season. That shot of Sasuke dropping his bandanna at the sight of power and vengeance is fucking great. Then that outro shot of Naruto losing his emotions to the shot of Sasuke looking cold fading into darkness. Fucking tremendous.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Naruto is full of great openings.

Both Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood are also full of amazing openings. Brotherhood's first opening "Again" is one of my favorite openings of all time but it's been posted.

The best opening of all time.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
4 pages of greatness already.

Let's continue with stuff that hasn't been posted yet.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
I am in love with Akiko Shikata since I played Umineko for the first time. She was also one of the reasons why I played Ar Tonelico. And this opening is again just great. <3

Akatsuki no Yona OP 1
Posted for the fact alone that the opening is purely instrumental. And in a good way.

Excel Saga
It's Excel Saga. It's ridiculous as fuck.

The feels, the music fits so well. God, I need more of this.

And finally, the GOAT:

Normal opening on the left, superior version on the right. And yes, this is official.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd post the second Re:Creators opening, but I can't find it anywhere on YouTube.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017

I actually don't like the first Kill La Kill opening that much.

The second opening though? That's my jam. I love Ryuko and Satsuki slashing each other and their splattering blood coloring the giant "KILL LA KILL" in red. It's over-the-top and fits the show perfectly.
(NSFW?)

Hajime No Ippo 2nd opening

This song was my alarm clock for several years after college. I didn't even watch all of Hajime no Ipoo, but that song and opening are ridiculously hype.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone that says Baccano is a good person that I'll trust with my life. It's legit up there with Cowboy Bebop is terms of GOAT levels.

For recent stuff, Princess Principal, Kakegurui, Houseki no Kuni and Girl's Last Tour are fantastic (though for this one I prefer the ED). Also Devilman Crybaby's OP grabs me in a weird way that I love and never skipped it.
If we're talking Gundam, then there's no substitute.

My man. Zeta's OP1 is so damn good (but ANIME JA NAI rivals it imo for classic Gundam OPs)

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Chala Head Chala complete version (Cell Saga) is probably one of the best.

But i absolutely have to mention One Punch Man because i still lose my shit every time this bit comes:

tumblr_ov6dh8JYdf1rzi375o1_500.jpg

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how others feel about it but honestly, Part 3's Last Train Home is the best ending.

It's one of the few endings to actually get an emotional reaction from me.

It's not the same, but LWA's ED1 is also one of the few that really gets to me emotionally for some reason. Guess it's the song + the comfy witch slife of life goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfltpO1620

And speaking of Trigger, Kiznaiver is a shit show but it's OP is probably their best from a visual and song perspective (FRANXX's OP is pretty good too)

Last edited:

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Chala Head Chala complete version (Cell Saga) is probably one of the best.

But i absolutely have to mention One Punch Man because i still lose my shit every time this bit comes:

tumblr_ov6dh8JYdf1rzi375o1_500.jpg
Oh god yes! The split-second gag of Saitama randomly punching in the face of some Star-head guy who's holding a knife is my second favorite part of the opening, next to the awesome shot of Saitama getting struck by lightning.

5c8dc40bdecd4a5a34173d61177c6b5b--one-punch-man.jpg

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy bebop is the best without a doubt.

After that I can do a lot of honorable mentions.
-First opening of Kenshin is lovely melodically. The chorus part always gives me goosbumps. Nostalgia binging the entire series in VHS that a friend recorded from canal +
And now i start with nostalgic anime culture from Spain:
-The spanish op of Sailor Moon is also fucking fantastic (its basically a dub from the japanese one) and really nostalgic for me catching it having breakfast before school watching Antena 3.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbaisQFKKw
-Nostalgic fun is Chicho Terremoto's spanish op (Dash Kappei in Japan). The whole spanish dub was fucking crazy and we all loved it here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cN41J1yxSu4
-Los Caballeros del Zodiaco (Saint Seiya) spanish intro. This one a complete and strange, if funny, change. Completely different from the Pegasus Fantasy (with footage from the movie), it sounds like an heroic anthem instead of rock and the most strange thing is that it was made by French for the spanish television, so the guy that sings is clearly french singing in spanish, with really famous funny lines, like "La canciĂłn de los herĂłes" (the song of heroes) sounding like "La canciĂłn de los errores" (the song of errors). Even then, close to spaniards hearts.
-A bunch more like Oliver & Benji (Captain Tsubasa) and Ranma in spanish, Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Dr slump and Musculman (valencian and catalonian), etc...
-The Spanish version of Butterfly from Digimon. Is the same melody of Butterfly, but the lyrics tell what digimons are and the kids trying to get rid of the black gears. Probably the last good spanish dub intro done. (We dont really dub songs anymore apart from the animes for kids).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7_2Wq9ddCE

But I want to add specially the two famous spanish/japanese coproductions during the 80's

D'artacan y los Tres Mosqueperros (Dogtanian and the 3 Moskhounds)

La Vuelta al Mundo de Willy Fog (Around the World with Willy Fog)

Im really proud of this two, that there was once a day we could work with japanese anime studios to create fantastic series.

The Italian/japanese coproduction Sherlock Hound (spanish op here that was a dub of the oroginal italian one) was also incredible, Miyazaki worked on this series, and it shows.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ksMXKC6IE
That siren sound at the beginning triggers my nostalgic weekend 8am mornings, when the block of good stuff starts airing.

Last edited: