• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
It's called "studios had money". I mean, when even a mediocre show like TV Lodoss can haul in Yoko Kanno to compose the intro. . . those times ain't coming back.

I don't mean to be nitpicky, and I agree with your point about studio budget, but your specific example of Yoko Kanno is a bit revisionist. She wasn't the big name she is now and built up her cachet precisely through composing anime music. In fact, she composed the opening for Record of Lodoss War before she composed for Cowboy Bebop, which I think is where most people know her from.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
BolpBZD.gif

It's the opening of Cowboy Bebop, pure and simple.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Serial Experiments Lain
Not surprised to see Lain on here. It's not too often we hear English OPs. so that one's particularly memorable.

As for something from me... where do I even start? There's already a lot of good ones here. I can't think of anything as stylish and deliberate as Cowboy Bebop, so I'll focus more on the music.

D.N.Angel was actually good enough that I learned how to play this on the piano back in high school.

Chrno Crusade is nostalgic too.

Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino was so so so not what I wanted or expected from a second season of GSG, but I liked the feeling that the OP delivered.

Would Witch Hunter Robin be considered a one hit wonder?

Everyone praised the theme for Kimi no Na wa, but Radwimps only made me think of a messy version this.

I should stop...

Also, on the topic of OPs, did anyone find that ALL the Rozen Maiden OPs sounded very familiar when they first listened to them? Is there a name for that style of music? It makes me think of... opera... that can't be right.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We just had a thread for "best JoJo OP", it is known, JoJo is a beast all its own.

Course we can always have threads like this for the runners up ;D
I'll even go as far as to say that JoJo openings that even don't fucking exist yet are guaranteed to be great, simply because future manga parts that haven't been adapted yet contain sick ass characters and story themes, they'd have to make the opening/ending bad on purpose if they wanna fuck it up, and even then it'll probably still be good.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reading through this thread and realising I have watched an obscene amount of anime.

There too many bangers to list.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For those who are only getting their Opening/Ending fix via Youtube, may I suggest visiting https://openings.moe to get your high quality video fix.

While I'm on the subject of streaming quality, I've seen some unfortunately low-quality videos of Record of the Lodsoss War TV linked in here. For shame. You can look here for a higher quality video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Ea2q-kqmL_NkVBSl9qNzRrTzg/view

Now, on to the main event - opening credits. There's a long history of excellent title credits in anime dating back many decades, which means that it's quite difficult to list anything like the 'best' credits around. Many opening sequences have cool music, or do a great job setting up the tone of the series, or make you 'hype' - so what makes an opening "one of the best", beyond simply personal preference? It's very hard to say, but certain sequences are so iconic that they influence dozes of others. Other opening are extremely original in their visual message, or execute on an idea in very effective way.

Here's my list, in no particular order:

Ping Pong
Mob Psycho 100
Re: Cutie Honey
Garo Divine Flame
Kyousougiga TV
Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Tiger Mask
Record of the Lodoss War TV-
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Kiznaiver
Cowboy Bebop
Dirty Pair
Dirty Pair Project Eden
Gunsmith Cats
City Hunter (OP 2)
Kimagurae Orange Road (OP3)
Baccano!
Death Parade
Sailor Moon (OP 2)
Blood+ (OP3)
Gundam 08th MS Team
Maria Holic
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Space Adventure Cobra
FMA Brotherhood (OP1)
Pyscho Pass (Opening 2)
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water
Subete ga F ni Naru:The Perfect Insider
Concrete Revolutio - The Last Song
Michiko to Hatchin
Paranoia Agent
Welcome to the NHK
Gatchaman Crowds
Serial Experiments Lain
Nichijou

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to have to keep the class back for detention with the work everyone is presenting. Now pay attention as I post more examples on the board:

Hidamari Sketch

Xenoglossia (a prequel to Xenoblade fact fans!)

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Kyousogiga

Pokémon Best Wishes

I like this one because it changed every episode, starting in black & white showing only the mons as silhouettes and uncovering them every week as they showcased a new one.

Last edited:

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean to be nitpicky, and I agree with your point about studio budget, but your specific example of Yoko Kanno is a bit revisionist. She wasn't the big name she is now and built up her cachet precisely through composing anime music. In fact, she composed the opening for Record of Lodoss War before she composed for Cowboy Bebop, which I think is where most people know her from.
Nope; you have it backwards. Cowboy Bebop is probably the most enduringly popular 1990s work she was involved in so it's possible anime fans TODAY mostly know her from that. But if you're saying she got famous because of Cowboy Bebop, that's the revisionist take. She was already well-known by then.

It was Macross Plus (1994) that put her on the map -- among anime enthusiasts at the time, anyway -- and she followed that up with Escaflowne (1996). The latter alone made her the hottest composer in the anime industry. This was all before Cowboy Bebop (1998) or Lodoss TV (1998).

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'll be frank, the Shiotani OPs (Blood+ OP3 and Psycho-Pass OP2) are probably the best. The visual symbolism, color usage, framing, and art direction are out of this world. I'm going through a lot of the high end ones and those two still smoke everything else.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure humanity peaked with this one:

all these other jabroni intros are soft as fuck

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad to see Yuri On Ice and Gatchaman represented here, and was going to say "where the hell is Honey & Clover?!" but apparently that opening isn't on YouTube except in a terrible filmed off of tv version somehow?!?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
In threads like these, people just tend to post their favorite shows but sometimes really shit shows have great OPs. Like this, for instance.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Anyone remember this one?

Remember how we were all hopeful this was going to be awesome? Remember how "awesome" it turned out to be in the end? lol

Bleach had so many fantastic OPs

OP
OP
Makoto Yuki

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The OP already got it wrong because We Got Power is superior to Head Cha La in every way.

Naw man, We Got Power is lame. They tried to make Gohan the star and it failed. Cha-La Head-Cha-La at least highlights Gohans growth from youth to fighter. It also balances the cheerful nature of Goku with the serious battles he has in the future. Also, it changes with the series in tiny, but appealing ways.

Oct 25, 2017
Naw man, We Got Power is lame. They tried to make Gohan the star and it failed. Cha-La Head-Cha-La at least highlights Gohans growth from youth to fighter. It also balances the cheerful nature of Goku with the serious battles he has in the future. Also, it changes with the series in tiny, but appealing ways.

The only mistake of We Got Power is that it focused on Gohan and thought he was the main character. Everything else including the actual song is better than Head Cha La.

OP
OP
Makoto Yuki

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only mistake of We Got Power is that it focused on Gohan and thought he was the main character. Everything else including the actual song is better than Head Cha La.

We Got Power sounds generic. Cha-La sounds like the late 1980s anime carefree anthems of excitement and fun. It's lyrics are nonsensical, which makes it even more charming. Whenever I listen to it, I think, oh shit Dragon Ball Z is gonna be fun. I listen to We Got Power and I think, oh Dragon Ball Z is trying too hard.

Oct 25, 2017
We Got Power sounds generic. Cha-La sounds like the late 1980s anime carefree anthems of excitement and fun. It's lyrics are nonsensical, which makes it even more charming. Whenever I listen to it, I think, oh shit Dragon Ball Z is gonna be fun. I listen to We Got Power and I think, oh Dragon Ball Z is trying too hard.
Nothing sounds generic to me, and it fits the actual show while Head Cha La is good I can't help, but laugh at the lyrics like teaching a dinosaur riding a ball and other stuff.

I doubt I feel as strongly about it as you though.