• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When you first load up the game, before you even start the game, you're usually treated to the main menu and if we're lucky, the main menu isn't a simple afterthought. What really elevates main menus is often the theme music that plays.

Ive always placed a huge importance on video game music, arguing its just as important as the graphics. Often the main menu theme is the first piece of music you hear from a game and it really needs to wow the player and make a strong first impression that wows them and draws them in before even starting the game.

Without further delay, here are two very bombastic main menu themes from very recent games.

Assassins Creed Origins

From the moment the music starts it evokes a sense of mystery and wonder. The music picks up and it demands vengeance. Theres tones of sadness, loss and tragedy in there. Theres a sense of grandiosity in the Egyptian vibes, not unlike the great pyramid gracing the cover of the game.

Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus

The music start off slow and quiet, perhaps a reflection of the game itself. The beat picks up about a minute in with the guitar and drums kicking into high gear before it crescendos into an amazing bassy synth at the 1:25 mark. That beat kicking into high gear really gets me pumped up to blast some Nazi scum before the beat starts cooling off and settling down, not too different from the gameplay pacing where you go from fast paced FPS action to quiet story beats packed with emotion and philosophy.

These two are just amazing pieces of music. I have to listen to them in their entirety before resuming the game everytime.

Now I want you all to share your highlights so we can enjoy the best main menu themes 2017 has to offer. Thanks for listening and sharing.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 is objectively the best. Such a beautiful sweeping orchestral melody.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Threads like is exactly why I wanted to be part of this community for years, its something that will simply never exist anywhere else in the world!

I don't know if it is the most impressive from a musical point of view, but this one always puts me in a good mood

Oct 27, 2017
Israel
Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus

The music start off slow and quiet, perhaps a reflection of the game itself. The beat picks up about a minute in with the guitar and drums kicking into high gear before it crescendos into an amazing bassy synth at the 1:25 mark. That beat kicking into high gear really gets me pumped up to blast some Nazi scum before the beat starts cooling off and settling down, not too different from the gameplay pacing where you go from fast paced FPS action to quiet story beats packed with emotion and philosophy.
/QUOTE]

This

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy 2 has a great one. Though that's not saying not much, as ever track in that game's orchestrated score is damn-near perfect.

For a more recent one, the main menu of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth just plays the game's main theme, which is a really solid track.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

I really liked this one

I'm not entirely sure here tbh. It's a great song, certainly, and very stylish too, and the way they do the "you're in a train station" thing with showing it when the P Studio logo comes up, then transitioning by having the windows race across the screen, only to drop you off at the station as the song starts is well done, but IMO the song itself isn't quite as good after the first minute or two so you only really end up listening to the beginning of the song.

My vote would be for the ARMS main menu song, which IMO is more consistent all the way through.

I really like just how out there it is, and it really sticks in your head and refuses to get out. It's hard not to start dancing too once you hear it.

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Call me biased, but I've always loved the Fallout main menu themes. Here's the one from Fallout 4:

Stirs up my emotions and stuff.

Last edited:

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Wolfenstein 2's for sure. Though just played it so I'm biased.

Also does BF1 count? They had a new expansion they added some Russian music and it sounds fantastic as well in the menu.

OP
OP
Poutine Runner 2049
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sorry but the Persona 5 menu music didnt do much for me. I never was compelled to stick around on the main menu to hear it out. Maybe because the rest of the games soundtrack is so stellar (Beneath the Mask, Boss and midboss themes, Rivers in the Desert) but the menu theme just doesnt compare imo. Heck even the opening trailers "Life Will Change" is better imo.

Does this count?

I'm in love with this. Mitsuda ❤️

Loving the piano work on this even if it is restrained and low key.

Threads like is exactly why I wanted to be part of this community for years, its something that will simply never exist anywhere else in the world!

I don't know if it is the most impressive from a musical point of view, but this one always puts me in a good mood

Welcome! Glad to have you join us. Mario Odyssey has a good main menu theme. Is it the instrumental version of Jump Up Superstar or different? At least Nintendo rememebered to add music to the menu this time unlike Breath of the Wild.

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
Easily my favorite, the one from Zero no Kiseki Evolution (not from 2017, but 2017 is when I played it)

Last edited:

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Welcome! Glad to have you join us. Mario Odyssey has a good main menu theme. Is it the instrumental version of Jump Up Superstar or different? At least Nintendo rememebered to add music to the menu this time unlike Breath of the Wild.

Thank you :) To be honest i'm not sure, it certainly does sound quite similar. I think it also reminds me some of the music from the Toy Story 2 game (which I loved as a kid) which may well be why I like it so much