• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
2D or 3D, linear or open world, whatever. I demand a remake of this amazing game. I don't even know who owns the IP at this point (maybe Sega?) but it is time. Below are some reasons to remake it.

Exploit the Undertale fanbase by seducing them with talking flowers:
joWKkWH.gif

Opportunity for remade classic ost excerpts:

Modernize the animal helper roster through microtransaction helpers. Gacha system helpers if you want to double the awful modernisms. Just look at the below screenshot - Kitty is begging to be paywalled.
RDXpaN9.png

Exploit the Dark Souls lore community by seducing them with this unexplained, deep Tapir quote:
MMjfNDd.png

Speaking of Dark Souls, isn't this game kind of a Metroidvania? You do backtrack and unlock new areas with abilities after all
DPN3qef.png

Anyone contemplating replying with "0":
XjudDMf.gif

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
I'd say pretty low as the game has never been high on the SEGA re-release priority list (that's the nicest way to put it).

I still think it's a great game, but at this point I almost wonder if there's a rights problem somewhere.

EDIT: From what I remember, Nextech made the game for SEGA, but then a few years later SEGA bought Nextech. If that's the case I just don't understand why it has never been on the genesis re-releases.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say pretty low as the game has never been high on the SEGA re-release priority list (that's the nicest way to put it).
Yeah just dreaming in thread form (._. )

EDIT: From what I remember, Nextech made the game for SEGA, but then a few years later SEGA bought Nextech. If that's the case I just don't understand why it has never been on the genesis re-releases.
If it is Sega I wonder why they wouldn't have thrown it on Steam or something like Landstalker.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Yeah just dreaming in thread form (._. )

If it is Sega I wonder why they wouldn't have thrown it on Steam or something like Landstalker.

Exactly.
People usually say "it's too derivative of Zelda, that's why they don't talk about it".
That doesn't make sense to me, as other derivative games such as fatal labyrinth have received re-releases.

Either they think it sucks (and we def need to open their eyes on this beauty) or something's wrong with the rights.
With SEGA, both can be true.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
SEGA tends to forget its bright past, and looks focused in just publishing other people's work. Oh, and Sonic, as a tragic reminder of their corporate identity I guess.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly.
People usually say "it's too derivative of Zelda, that's why they don't talk about it".
That doesn't make sense to me, as other derivative games such as fatal labyrinth have received re-releases.
Either they think it sucks (and we def need to open their eyes on this beauty) or something's wrong with the rights.
With SEGA, both can be true.
We must find the truth.

SEGA tends to forget its bright past, and looks focused in just publishing other people's work. Oh, and Sonic, as a tragic reminder of their corporate identity I guess.
They can take one of the animals as a mascot to usher in a new age of Sega. Possibly Tapir.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I want to say zero, but then, Monster Boy happened. So, who knows?
Modernize the animal helper roster through microtransaction helpers. Gacha system helpers if you want to double the awful modernisms. Just look at the below screenshot - Kitty is begging to be paywalled.
Oh, this is a troll thread? Nevermind :(
you monster :(

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No! But a big publisher CEO may be browsing for ideas, and so I have to tempt them.

Only if highly advertised and well received thus leading to remake!
A gacha remake would not be a good thing though! DELETE THIS THREAD

Oh wait I'm the mod I should be DELETING THIS THREAD~

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
True I guess there aren't enough animals to warrant it. Save it for the sequel. Thread saved!

Really loved the feel of this game and the animal helpers were a cool feature too! Would love this
Yeah it was so fun.

Not sure why but the Castle Freesia -> Root Temple section is one of my favourite times spent playing games. Good music too.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland

Oh wait I'm the mod I should be DELETING THIS THREAD~
Your resistance only makes the gacha lords happier

But yeah, the derivative BS don't hold up when you see games like Oceanhorn.
I think it's just seen as a below standard game for SEGA, half-forgotten, no point in bringing that up.
That would sadly make a remake even harder to pull-off as the Monster Boy one came from higher brand name recognition (I think)

We should send flowers and chocolate to the M2 team.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a mystery of why Sega never added this game to their compilation titles. The only answer I could think of is they simply forgot about this game.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
None unless one of us starts working on it OP. :(

It's what I want to do myself but for Landstalker. Except not so much a remake, more like my own version of a spiritual successor or whatever to it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's just seen as a below standard game for SEGA, half-forgotten, no point in bringing that up.
It's such a mystery of why Sega never added this game to their compilation titles. The only answer I could think of is they simply forgot about this game.
Any idea what the reception for the game was like originally? I guess I just always grouped it together with Landstalker but even years ago I guess there would be good reasons why Landstalker got a bunch of spinoff sequels and this just died.

None unless one of us starts working on it OP. :(
It's what I want to do myself but for Landstalker. Except not so much a remake, more like my own version of a spiritual successor or whatever to it.
That PSP remake will be out one day ;_;

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Are you serious OP? How can anyone think the answer is anything other than "zero"? The game was obscure even on release. You can count the number of people who would buy this based on its existence in the 90s in the dozens, at most.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Are you serious OP? How can anyone think the answer is anything other than "zero"? The game was obscure even on release. You can count the number of people who would buy this based on its existence in the 90s in the dozens, at most.
Listen Nigel just because Landstalker is on Steam and Dark Savior / Alundra / Lady Stalker exist does not mean you have to insult your fellow Genesis RPG family.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Listen Nigel just because Landstalker is on Steam and Dark Savior / Alundra / Lady Stalker exist does not mean you have to insult your fellow Genesis RPG family.

Hey, I genuinely like the game. The animal abilities stuff is inventive and unique. I'm just saying, I remember when this came out and it was obscure. There is literally zero chance of a remaster. In terms of chucking the ROM up onto modern game stores, sure, why not (they didn't already?)

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
"Crusader of Centy" and "Blades of Vengeance" are the two best Genesis games that seem to have been completely forgotten about.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more people mention Moster Boy than Crusader before the MB remake. I think it's zero right now. There'd have to be an effort to make it cool to like and mention it. Then maybe Sega might consider revisiting it in 20 years

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game, I beat it many times... I'll play it again next month as soon as I receive my Genesis controller from 8bitdo!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I still have my Megadrive version. Bad PAL pixelated cover and all. I cannot believe how utterly bad the PAL cover is. Thankfully a review I read sold me on the game. Seeing it on a shelf would have never compelled me to get it.
I must replay this someday. I wonder how well the batteries in these games hold up.
And now I'm imagining radial menus on the joysticks that let you change your chosen companion combinations on the fly. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I still have my Megadrive version. Bad PAL pixelated cover and all. I cannot believe how utterly bad the PAL cover is. Thankfully a review I read sold me on the game. Seeing it on a shelf would have never compelled me to get it.
I must replay this someday. I wonder how well the batteries in these games hold up.
And now I'm imagining radial menus on the joysticks that let you change your chosen companion combinations on the fly. :(
Running around a semi-open 3D world with your companions beside you. Damn......

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A rerelease as part of a Genesis Collection is probably the only thing you can hope for at this point.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Probably really low given how Sega isn't even interested in remaking better known stuff that would benefit from a modern release - like Shining Force 3, Phantasy Star IV, Landstalker, Beyond Oasis.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why Sega stopped releasing Genesis ROMs on Steam, especially since they keep putting that Genesis collection on everything, you'd think they'd still be interested.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I don't know why Sega stopped releasing Genesis ROMs on Steam, especially since they keep putting that Genesis collection on everything, you'd think they'd still be interested.
One reason might be them seeing the success of the NES Classic and since they're trying something like that this year with the Mega Drive, they might not want to continue flooding Steam with cheap roms at the moment.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

Atlus retained the NA publishing rights and getting it cleared for release even now that they're sister companies isn't as straightforward as one might hope.

There's also the fact that the people in charge of Japanese initiatives like Sega Ages, Virtual Console, etc are philosophically pre-disposed to sticking to Sega-ass Sega games.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I guess with Sega's recent trend to outsource remakes and new entries of some of their old ips, it's would not be that impossible anymore.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
still own my genesis copy, cant find the box though. ive only played through it once though so i need to fix that.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
signal you may already know this, but I think I know what the tapir is talking about, more or less. I recently watched a jdrama called dele where a villainous character called himself the dream-eating tapir on Twitter, and went around manipulating bullied young people into committing suicide. One of the characters (or maybe it was the fansubber in a note) mentioned that the tapir is mythologically known in Japan for eating people's nightmares (in a creepy, non-helpful way). So maybe the tapir here is referring to people's dreams in terms of their delectable quality.

Then again, sadly I haven't played Crusader of Centy yet, so I could be way off.

Also, a couple months ago Mama Robotnik posted a pretty amazing thread about Sega Zelda-likes y'all might be interested in if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-eleven-sega-“zeldas”-gifs.83360/

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
signal you may already know this, but I think I know what the tapir is talking about, more or less. I recently watched a jdrama called dele where a villainous character called himself the dream-eating tapir on Twitter, and went around manipulating bullied young people into committing suicide. One of the characters (or maybe it was the fansubber in a note) mentioned that the tapir is mythologically known in Japan for eating people's nightmares (in a creepy, non-helpful way). So maybe the tapir here is referring to people's dreams in terms of their delectable quality.

Then again, sadly I haven't played Crusader of Centy yet, so I could be way off.

Also, a couple months ago Mama Robotnik posted a pretty amazing thread about Sega Zelda-likes y'all might be interested in if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-eleven-sega-“zeldas”-gifs.83360/
lol I wonder if that's it. Honestly I have no idea, I was just making fun of it because it is kind of a "deep" quote (and that's the only thing he says) compared to most of the other non-recruitable animals in the game. Perhaps you just made it even deeper 🤔

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's honestly more of a chance of Landstalker coming back than Crusader of Centy.

And even Landstalker is a pipe dream

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope so.

Soleil, one of my favorite games on the Mega Drive. Killer soundtrack, pretty graphics, and the first time a game made me think about what I was doing by killing monsters.
Just the other day someone mentioned it on twitter and I remembered I made some drawings back in the day when I was still a kid.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I first played it when I bought an used Megadrive 8 years ago and I was really surprised by how good it is. One of my favorite 16bit ARPG for sure. But yeah, it's never ever happening.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I would hope so.

Soleil, one of my favorite games on the Mega Drive. Killer soundtrack, pretty graphics, and the first time a game made me think about what I was doing by killing monsters.
Just the other day someone mentioned it on twitter and I remembered I made some drawings back in the day when I was still a kid.

cute. Those fire snake enemies from Burn Daisy!