• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Some of these games are relegated to much older systems and could really need some new exposure. Especially with how big Xenoblade has been for Nintendo, I'd love to experience the previous games.

Same with SMT. I know a lot of these games are on PS3, but imagine bringing SMT4 and it's sequel over to console.

Just some thoughts as I'd love to dive in and I think the current systems would benefit from these games.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Harada expressed interest in Xenosaga but he did say at one point that he'd want Monolithsoft to be involved IIRC.

Atlus did say they would like to do a Noctune/Lucifer's Call remaster as well.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love for them to port SMT IV over to consoles, but I see the chances of that happening soon to be fairly low at this point.

Xenosaga Im not as sure about, but my guess would be probably not either

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus doesn't care about SMT anymore and didn't even bother porting stuff to Switch. So I don't expect it.

Xenosaga maybe at some point.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears isn't happening without Square. Xenosaga I could see happening eventually.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect SMT4 and 4:A to be re-released so soon. SMT1, 2 and If have actually been re-released a few times, including virtual console releases on both Wii and Wii U, the problem there is localization. (SMT1 was localized for iOS but now it's lost to the sands of time)

With SMT5 on the way it's possible we'll see some classic SMT re-releases in the leadup but I doubt they'd be in a collection.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Maybe Xenosaga HD at E3. Praying. Xenogears though... i'm not sure as no XG blades were included in Xenoblade 2 which might show that Square is not interested.

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears: Unlike PS1 days SE has a working relationship with Nintendo now. They can collab with Monolith and give this damn gem an insanely overdue facelift.

It kills me how they flame the fires every now and then with random XG stuff. Like that crossover in that robot game, and all the fanfare with the recent concert. Not to mention Perfect Works reprint.

If budget and scope are a problem, they don't have to heavily mess with its structure. Just acknowledge the disc 2 portions as a Visual Novel, and serve it as such. The story is running on all cylinders by that point anyway. Dungeons would mess with the pacing.

Xenosaga: Monolith put KOSMOS and Telos in XB2, Harada seems to wanna do it, Bamco is chummy with Nintendo. This Trilogy collection needs to happen. I'll take a remake or HD remaster. Honestly surprised we haven't gotten it yet.

My ONLY wish would be to add more music. (Preferably Mitsuda). I don't miss the silent dungeons and towns.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I need at Xenosaga and Nocturne rerelease in my life. There is legit no reason why either of them can't be released other than the will to do it. As for Gears...that's on Enix.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
SMT maybe.

I don't see Gears happening, Squares been completely dead on that franchise for decades.
Before XB2 I would have said that Saga HD aint happening, but with the current situation, you never know; that balls in Bandai's park now though.

Dec 23, 2017
I hope Xenosaga gets another chance. Monolithsoft may have not been well known in the past, but they are better known now thanks to the help of Nintendo.

Awhile back Bamco issued a statement where Xenosaga would no longer be receiving any games and that they would only make cameo appearances in other games. I haven't been able to find that statement though.

Would be nice to see another Xenosaga game personally but instead of the planned 6 episode series, it could be shortened and summarized into one game. I really liked seeing the re-designs of KOS-MOS and T-elos in Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is a Xenogears collection? There was only one game :/

Surely you don't mean a collection combining Xenogears AND the Xenosaga games? They aren't even by the same copyrights holders.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Xeno saga is possible but high odds it'd be a Nintendo exclusive as it'd be likely that they and Monolift soft would help it happen in the first place

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Xenogears: Unlike PS1 days SE has a working relationship with Nintendo now. They can collab with Monolith and give this damn gem an insanely overdue facelift.

It kills me how they flame the fires every now and then with random XG stuff. Like that crossover in that robot game, and all the fanfare with the recent concert. Not to mention Perfect Works reprint.

If budget and scope are a problem, they don't have to heavily mess with its structure. Just acknowledge the disc 2 portions as a Visual Novel, and serve it as such. The story is running on all cylinders by that point anyway. Dungeons would mess with the pacing.

Xenosaga: Monolith put KOSMOS and Telos in XB2, Harada seems to wanna do it, Bamco is chummy with Nintendo. This Trilogy collection needs to happen. I'll take a remake or HD remaster. Honestly surprised we haven't gotten it yet.

My ONLY wish would be to add more music. (Preferably Mitsuda). I don't miss the silent dungeons and towns.
I'll be on them if they also announce cut content for Gears and changes to Saga to make them look(XB2's facial animations please), sound(union VAs please) and plays better(Xeno 3's combat for everything!)

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
A Xenosaga remaster in the same vein of .hack should be a no-brainer. Someone just needs to push for it, I guess. For Xenogears, the PSN release it's probably all you'll ever get.

There is nothing stopping Atlus from re-releasing their old stuff, expect for the fact they are not Persona I guess.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Monolith Soft on bad terms with Kunihiko Tanaka? If he own the designs to the characters he might be blocking any re-releases.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Don't worry, as soon as I start playing Nocturne on PS2 and get 30 hours in, Atlus is sure to announce a remake.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I still haven't played Xenogears and it's currently in my backlog for my Vita. I'd love to play an updated version.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh

They did a huge SMT 25th Anniversary Special Edition for SMT SJR.

That sweet box doesn't look like "doesn't care" to me.
I'm swimming in all these new SMT game announcements and ports... or any SMT announcement in general. Nah. When they decide to promote persona again in a Nintendo game over freaking SMT that is getting a brand new game for that platform, you know they don't care a bit.

Oct 27, 2017

Imagining Xenogears remade in the Xenoblade 2 engine. It's EASILY the best translation of Tanaka's artwork to 3D
drool.gif

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm swimming in all these new SMT game announcements and ports... or any SMT announcement in general. Nah. When they decide to promote persona again in a Nintendo game over freaking SMT that is getting a brand new game for that platform, you know they don't care a bit.

So back when they were promoting SMT and the 25th Anniversary, you thought they didn't care about Persona? That's ridiculous.

Not having a constant barrage of something without new content to present doesn't mean not caring about it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I want:

Shin Megami Tensei: The Demonic Compendium

- Vol 1: Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II, Kyuuaku Megami Tensei

- Vol. 2: Shin Megami Tensei ...if, Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers

- Vol. 3: Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Digital Devil Saga 2

What we'll get:

Persona 5 Golfing All Afternoon

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Monolith Soft on bad terms with Kunihiko Tanaka? If he own the designs to the characters he might be blocking any re-releases.

I think you're thinking of a tweet Tanaka made about parting ways with Monolith Soft, which I'm pretty sure was in the context of Monolith Soft talking about wanting a permanent inhouse character designer.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly you could extend this question to a lot of classic JRPG franchises.

• How hard would it be to do a Phantasy Star collection? I think all the games except PS1 are in the Genesis/Mega Drive collection.
  • A Breath of Fire collection?
  • Suikoden?
  • Mana
  • Tales
  • There hasn't even really been a comprehensive Final Fantasy collection. Usually it's just two or maybe three games put together.
For a lot of these it probably gets more technically challenging when you talk about including PS1 and PS2 games, but when you think about it Square Enix's work bringing together all the Kingdom Hearts games ends up looking like a pretty impressive achievement. And look at what Capcom has done to remaster Resident Evil and Devil May Cry games, plus Onimusha. Would it be that much harder to bring together BOF 1-5? I guess Tales would be the most challenging because of the sheer number of Tales games across so many console generations, even if you just count "main" Tales games.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Harald23 - The Thread.

I can understand the Xeno games: different publishers hold the rights,...

But SMT i don't get it, Atlus holds the rights of all these games, they can totally rereleasing them on new systems, and it could be a way to hype people up for SMTV, or at least to give a chance to new players to discover this franchise.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point a Xenogears/Saga collection would only happen with Nintendo's involvement, as I don't see them happening without Takahashi

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really speak on Xenogears/Xenosaga as I haven't really played those and haven't followed them.

SMT though, I have a few thoughts:

I think a Nocturne remake/remaster/port is inevitable. Atlus has expressed interest it within the last year, it would be a great way to build hype for SMTV (releasing it on Switch) and it's the only mainline game that hasn't been released on any other platform than it's original platform, other than IV and IV Apocalypse (NINE does not count). I'm honestly expecting it, knowing Atlus it just makes perfect sense. Even if it ends up coming after SMTV, I would still think it will happen. They could easily get mileage out of the tech they are using for SMTV to do a proper Nocturne remake.

I, II, and if... I think will likely get ported to something else again some day, but it's hard to say what, and even less likely it gets released in English. Those games are currently available on smartphones in Japan (both Android and iOS), but SMTI released in English on iOS, and now doesn't even work on modern versions of iOS. It also flopped and they never bothered to update and fix it, and it seemed like the last time Atlus USA was interested in localizing that game, II or if... I think there's sort of an understanding there that Atlus USA knows it's fans will just play fan translations and that it's more lucrative for them to let sleeping dragons lie. I hope Atlus USA changes their minds one day and localizes it the next time it gets ported, but I doubt it.

Strange Journey just released on 3DS about a year ago in the west, more than that in Japan. I wouldn't count on seeing anything about that one for a very long time.

IV and IV Apocalypse I wouldn't expect to see anything on, but they were both moderately successful (I believe IV moreso than Apocalypse) so I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to see them ported/remade some day. I would guess they might be remade, just because their look for the 3DS of 3D mixed with 2D sprites wouldn't exactly age well. Handhelds have moved to stuff like Switch, and I don't think the style of visuals IV and IV:A used would quite hold up there. However I wouldn't say no to straight ports if they did them.

No one cares about NINE, that one can stay buried.

For spinoffs, Soul Hackers was released on 3DS six years ago. Devil Summoner had a remake on PSP that never came to the west (not the Raidou games, the original Devil Summoner). The Raidou games might get something some day, but they are a bit lesser known. I would like to see a new game in the Devil Summoner franchise though, involving the Kuzonoha clan, Rei Reiho, Dr. Victor, the Gouma-Den, etc. There's a lot that can be done there that I think has yet to be explored.

Digital Devil Saga I would love to see come back in some form, even if it's just remakes/ports to another platform.

I don't really have a particular desire to see another Devil Survivor, as I think I had my fill of it after 2 Record Breaker, but I could see a Devil Survivor 3 happening.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Xenogears? Zero
Xenosaga? There's at least a little bit of a chance there because SE isn't involved and you could get Namco/Bandai on board with Monolith Soft or BluePoint working on an HD collection.
SMT? Probably more like likely we would see a Persona 3/4 collection release as opposed to a SMT collection.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
????

SMTV is still in development and they just aren't ready to show anything yet. I don't know how that can be translated to "they don't care"

Persona is a popular franchise, it makes sense to have a character from it in Smash.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMTV is still in development and they just aren't ready to show anything yet. I don't know how that can be translated to "they don't care"
One game. That's what it'll get for several years, we don't hear anything about the franchise for over a year. And as of right now, this game is more vaporware than even FFVIIR. Atlus never even says SMT's name for some time already, while the other side of the company gets a new announcement feels like everyday.

Persona is a popular franchise, it makes sense to have a character from it in Smash.
Oh yeah, because a 2M selling franchise (there are many more popular) really needed that promotion for a musou and SMT didn't need it for 5. It shows a complete lack of care for SMT. Good for Persona fans, but killed any expectations that I had to see SMT getting ports to promote V, when they passed up on their biggest chance.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So back when they were promoting SMT and the 25th Anniversary, you thought they didn't care about Persona? That's ridiculous.

Not having a constant barrage of something without new content to present doesn't mean not caring about it.

i mean when they were promoting the 25th anniversary box thing for deep strange journey, they announced three persona games and an animated series so i don't think your counter argument really works?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
i mean when they were promoting the 25th anniversary box thing for deep strange journey, they announced three persona games and an animated series so i don't think your counter argument really works?

What games would those have been? I think you've got your timeframe mixed up.

As for the anime, that's a separate thing. It's not exactly Atlus' fault that Persona is more popular and much more adaptable into anime series. Doesn't change the fact that on the game side there was a dry spell for the Persona games even with how successful the series is and Atlus was pushing SMT more at that time.

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017