• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of depressing at times, but harsh truths are worth coming to terms with.

For me, it's definitely the harsh truth that, no, you really CAN'T accomplish everything you set your mind to. You can still work hard, 12 hour days, and pursue a dream...only to realize that you still just aren't good enough. No matter how much effort I put into, say, being a basketball player, I'll never be a good basketball player.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Your employer is never your friend. It should be the best possible relationship for you, but never forget that.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
That most humans are dumb fucks who believe that using their brains is useless.

And thus, that we are fucked and will probably be wiped out from the surface of the planet in a few centuries (if we are lucky).

Oct 27, 2017
Social capital and the ability to formulate a reliable network is invaluable.

Everything can't be done on you're own. Contrary to the bullshit people try to feed you with "the American dream" and meritocracy, aligning yourself with the right people is very very important.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
There's not really magic/supernaturalness in the literal sense. The universe just kinda is what it is. Humans and civilization are just sort of here and we gotta do the best we can with it. There's simply no scientifically sound reason to believe that there is some larger elegant storyline to human existence.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
People are fucking idiots. No matter how good things could be for us all, fucking idiots will ruin it.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing earth shattering new but some are:

Most friends are really acquaintances and even the best friendship is not guaranteed to last forever.

It is not alwas about what you know but who you know when you try to build a career.

Life is unfair and unbalanced. Just got to deal with whatever your life has brought you. You can change somethings others you cannot .

There are more. Dont let it get you down though. Just focus on what does go wel no matter how small.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you worry what people think of you you'll be relieved to discover they don't think of you at all.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That we need a mass extinction event to reset us

Also the saying that the only two definites in life are that you will pay taxes and die, are as true to this day as ever

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone dies there is no way around it. You are a blip in history majority of humans barely live to 60-70

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
People are not in tune with one another at all and live in totally separate realities from each other.

Unrequited love. Botched friendships. Misunderstandings. They all happen because everyone is in their own cosmos of sorts.

There is the rare exception where you get very close to someone and sort of sync to their wavelength, but unless you actively cultivate such relationships (which most people don't) this is only temporary.

It's why whenever someone voices that they treasure the same memories as me, I become ecstatic. One of those rare moments of synchronization that feels so good. Shared experience is so wonderful, so rare.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the words of Chris Rock - "even roaches have kids."
I had always thought of having and raising children as a pretty big deal that takes a lot of work and effort and thought but now that we're all older it's weird to see my cousins and friends with kids. I've seen these people do some real dumb shit. I wouldnt trust them with a mouse, yet here they are with 3 kids. It's surreal.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Some people aren't destined to "live their dreams" or "a good life". Some of us have to be the bottomfeeders.
The quicker you accept and come to terms with that fact, the easier life gets.
Certainly makes my 8 - 5 mind numbing job a little easier to swallow, I just wasn't one of the lucky ones.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
As an older friend told me when I was 18 and reeling from a particularly bad breakup:

"You know how people say it will feel better in time- thats a lie, it won't. What actually happens is you will think about it less and remember it less- but on the occasions you do it will be just as bad as it ever was, forever."

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Your employer is never your friend. It should be the best possible relationship for you, but never forget that.

Pretty much. Also for me, employers WILL ALWAYS see ADHD as a negative thing and WILL view what you do in a biased light, and never a good type of biased. Never under any circumstances mention you have it.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As an older friend told me when I was 18 and reeling from a particularly bad breakup:

"You know how people say it will feel better in time- thats a lie, it won't. What actually happens is you will think about it less and remember it less- but on the occasions you do it will be just as bad as it ever was, forever."
I feel like that is the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
London
People when push comes to shove lack empathy and don't care about anything other than their in-group. The political trends of 2015 to now certainly prove that we humans are trash.

Oct 26, 2017
Adults are often just as petty, spiteful, ignorant and self centered as children. As I was growing up I think I just assumed that by the time we all reached adulthood and started working we would all be in an environment where everybody operated with a base level of "reasonableness" . Needless to say, I was very wrong.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I feel like that is the same thing.

I don't really think they are; I've had experiences of both sorts. There are plenty of things that made me feel really shitty in the moment and for some time afterwards that I look back on now and just sorta shrug my shoulders at. On the other hand, there are some choices I made that I still (mostly metaphorically, sometimes literally) shudder at the mere reminder of because of how much emotional shit they resulted in.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Time is the most important currancy you have. You're going to eventually age over that hill and become old. That may also come with other problems, like disability, medical issues like diseases or cancer, or some other form of acquired inhibition. You think you have time to do this or that, i'll do it later, i'll do it next year, i'll do it after whatever life event comes to pass... and that will work for a while, until it doesn't.

When you're young and healthy, even if you are told this by your elders and understand it, you really can't grasp it. It's beyond you. Because you're going to live forever. You know you aren't going to live forever obviously, but that's not how you feel. What you feel is that your potential and time extends beyond your needs. But it will run low, and eventually, out.

Really agree with a lot of the others mentioned, particularly the one about only having yourself to count on.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Changing who you are is a really, really hard thing to do and I probably don't have the willpower to do it.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Life isn't fair

You aren't the "main character" of your story

I always thought of it more as "You may be a hero of your story, but that doesn't prevent you from being a villain in someone else's."

Also- everyone has an agenda. Everything is a means to an end. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water from the womb.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
You can't control everything. Focus on making the best with what you can, and stop worrying about the rest.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
There will never, ever be Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

I know this can be seen as a punch-line....but the more you think about it the more it is pretty harsh. Half-Life fans have been waiting, what, ten years to finish the damn story? It's really agonizing as a fan to know that we will never know the conclusion of the series.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- You can only rely on yourself.
- Some people are incapable of admitting a mistake.
- Living in the suburbs sucks
- You will develop a core group of friends.
- You get better with age.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Talent doesn't mean much. Hard work helps, but it's nothing compared to luck and connections.
When you realise this you can of course adapt and change the way you are doing things, but at the same time you risk losing what made you love what you were doing in the first place.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
You cannot assume people will help you when need it even if you've been helping them in their time of needs.
It's not a reason not be be helpful. On the contrary, I've found that been a helpful and a nice person help me be ahead in life.
Just that you can't expect to help you when you need them. Then, when they do help you, you can only be surprised in a good way.