• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
People are not entitled to be your friend and the length of a relationship doesn't necessarily determine quality.

All learned this year, yayyyyyyyyyyy.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people are beyond help/saving.

Words/actions matter and can follow you around for years.

You can't please everyone.

You feel less as you get older. I remember the scene in Boyhood where Hawke tells his son "hold onto your feelings because you lose them" and that's so true. I'm 30 and I can't remember the last time I legit cried over something, I also laugh at comedy movies but it's a rehearsed laugh 98% of the time, like I know it's funny but there's no spontaneous hahaha response. When I see people crying over The Last of Us II unveiling I just feel like an emotionless husk because I don't feel that passionately about anything.
That's funny... I feel like the ability to cry during movies increases with age.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That bigots aren't just something to laugh at, they need to be taken seriously and they are dangerous. As a person with plenty of priviledges, this took me way too much time to realize. And has become evident with the rise of far-right globally.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Having depression can cause you to lose nearly all of your friends. And it's definitely your own fault.

Aggressive assholes will often be better off than you.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Harsh truths :

- Life isn't fair, but it is an opportunity that is given to everyone to "experience". Some parts of this experience are real good and others are real bad. The other option is to never experience anything. Once you realize this, life gets easier because you do not feel like something has been taken away from you - You had nothing to begin with. It is an incredible thing that you exist, in that moment, being conscious of your existence and the world around you. So you try to make the best of what is given to you.

- People will complain and bitch about everything in life, even when they live a decent or beautiful life, because they won't take time to reflect and appreciate what they have. And then, once something happens to their health and they know they are done, they feel regret and guilt.

- People are self-centered. Most people think joy and fullfilment will come from self accomplishments, from self-love... While I think it is important to appreciate and work on yourself first, imo life gets meaning when you share things with another conscious being. Whether that thing is love, your talent, your generosity, friendship, sex, or even your money or a beer! You have to keep at it even if you have been disappointed or hurt.

- Nobody is perfect.

- The Universe will still go on without me.While it is a bit unsettling at first, it becomes comforting after a while. It gives another perspective of the problems we face.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
There is no sense of cosmic justice or karma. A LOT of the time bad people do bad things and get away scott free with no consequences. Sometimes without even a guilty conscience.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not about qualifications or how hard you work, people will hire those they can be friends with.

ResidentBio

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
It's all fun when things are going great but once things get messy a bit, people will show their colors and never blame themselves.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Love is not a reward for being a good person. It's just the product of trying to be the best person you can, playing the numbers game, and hoping to catch someone at the right time.

The good news is that having "a soul mate" is a lie, as there are many out there who could be that for you. Much like job interviews, you just need to give yourself as many opportunities as you can.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Adults are often just as petty, spiteful, ignorant and self centered as children. As I was growing up I think I just assumed that by the time we all reached adulthood and started working we would all be in an environment where everybody operated with a base level of "reasonableness" . Needless to say, I was very wrong.

As a man once said, "Fundamentally, there are no adults."

Also, "love" is a thoroughly debased word, and what most people call it is practically a parody of what they pretend it is.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Everyone dies there is no way around it. You are a blip in history majority of humans barely live to 60-70

Similar, my dad died at 32 years old. I was 11.

Grew up as a teen/young adult with the exact OPPOSITE attitude of the usual "I'm invincible". Grew up thinking/knowing I or anyone else I know could die at any moment.

This kept me from doing anything really "stupid" through most of my life.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm pretty sure this has been said in some way in this thread already, but: the people you know are far more important than the skills you have and/or what you know in terms of navigating your professional career path. Granted, having tremendous skill can sometimes give you an edge in some circumstances, however it rarely trumps just knowing the right person(s). Almost every bit of career growth I've had thus far in my life has been from networking and relationships, and rarely has it been because I am the most skilled at what I do. As an introvert, this has always freaked me out a little and I'm always paranoid I'll hit my "networking ceiling" so-to-speak at some point.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Wiped out by who? Other humans? Self destruct?

By our own stupidity yes. Either by wars or by rendering earth unliveable because everyone seem to refuse to learn or acknowledge our impact on the athmosphere and the planet.

I may be a bit too pessimistic by saying few centuries but in the end, if we stay as stupid as we are (as a whole), it seems bound to happen.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Racism will never go away and white people are god damn morons

tenor.gif

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're the protagonist of your own story, and the centre of your own universe. That's not a call to selfishness - you have the power to do good. It's a call to self-respect. Don't confuse being nice with being a doormat.

The world isn't always kind, or fair. When it tries to bowl you over, plant your fucking feet.

Friends are good, friends you can truly trust are better (if perhaps uncommon). Self-reliance is the best.

Humanity as a whole cannot be trusted to make smart, ethical, or reasoned decisions. Some people rise above the pack. Cherish them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The highway and its onramps is a fantastic visual and statistical indicator of how stupid and selfish and oblivious people are. It's like a moving diagram of George Carlin's "average intelligence" thought. And it has the most spectacularly binary results.

Oct 28, 2017
Learning my parents didnt know everything and that they were just doing the best they could. For your entire childhood you have this idealized version of them in your head and then you see them as fallible people. It's very disconcerting at first.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As an older friend told me when I was 18 and reeling from a particularly bad breakup:

"You know how people say it will feel better in time- thats a lie, it won't. What actually happens is you will think about it less and remember it less- but on the occasions you do it will be just as bad as it ever was, forever."
Too real.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
History is cyclical and we are destined to repeat the mistakes of our forefathers.

I wanted so hard to believe this isn't true and that this generation with access to so much history and information would be able to break the cycle but I guess I was just fooling my self.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That it's way, way more important to first learn to love yourself before loving anyone else. Too many relationships crash and burn because they are dependant on the other to stay happy.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Never get sick enough to have to rely on hospitals or health insurance because they will fuck you over eventually.