• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada
That thread that Aenia or whatever their name is was on a really obscure jrpg only playable through a rom translation patch!

Looked really good so i recommend that, think it was Tenkgai something

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Golden Axe Warrior for Master System. One of my favorite games along Phantasy Star.

89032-Golden_Axe_Warrior_%28USA,_Europe%29-3.png

this is a great pick - i adore OG zelda and this really expanded on that. likewise, CV fans shouldn't sleep on Master of Darkness.

for SMS, there's a lotta gems i love but i wish Zillion got an update.

Oct 25, 2017
Check out Willow for the NES.

tavern.gif

It's a "Zelda clone", but a damn good one. However, unlike Zelda, Willow has RPG elements like leveling up. You can find and use quite the variety of spells, swords, shields,etc. Gameplay style and movement is similar to A Link to the Past. You can move in all directions unlike the original Zelda, and the character swings his sword around instead of the simple stabbing that Link did in the original.

Graphics are SUPERB for the era and platform, and the music is very catchy.

It is (VERY) loosely based on the movie by the same name. And I mean LOOSELY.

It has a pretty big world to explore, several caverns, towns and optional treasure chests to obtain upgrades.

willownes-6.png

If you like Action-RPG's and you love the Zelda style, I'm sure you will end loving this game as much as I do.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
The entire Monster World series are great action-adventure platformers which would fit into the "Metroidvania" category. Dragon's Trap is the best known of the bunch, but Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV (which is where my avatar's from!) are pretty great too.

Treasure games on Mega Drive are pretty great. Dynamite Headdy is a gem and even that McDonald's Ronald Treasure Whatever is somewhat good. And while not Treasure, Contra: The Hards Corps, also on Mega, is fantastic. Shadow Dancer is a spin-off on Shinobi. The Mega Drive is full of good, forgotten action games.

Congo's Caper on the Snes is kinda cool. Cheap bosses tho.

Dragon Quest V, on the Snes, is sublime. One of the greatest JRPGs ever made.

My weirdest recommendation, however, is a portable game: Donkey Kong '94, or simply Donkey Kong:
latest

This is a fantastic game. It starts off pretending to be a conversion of the original arcade game, but after you finish the first set of levels the game flips upside-down and becomes a totally new thing.

The whole "acrobatic Mario" theme that got popularized in Super Mario 64 actually started with this game. Seriously, it's outstanding.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this game probably ties with Super Mario Odyssey somewhat (haven't played it yet). The very first world after the arcade one is titled "Big City", and definitely alludes to what New Donk City is - besides having Pauline and all.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Definitly Donald Duck in Maui Mallard. At least it's brought up very rarely.
It's an insanely gorgeous game with fantastic animations but hard af.

donaldmauimallard.jpg

Maui%20Mallard%20in%20Cold%20Shadow%20(U).png

2596668-maui+mallard+in+cold+shadow006.png

maui_mallard___hoop_by_ribozurai-d3i6z7m.gif

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
This is my kind of thread :)

Keystone Kapers (Atari 2600)
220px-KeystoneKapers.png

keystone.gif_backup

Fun little game where you have to catch a thief while avoiding obstacles.

Bruce Lee (Commodore 64)
tune-528100-1.gif

Brucelee_screenshot2.gif

Great platformer/beat 'em up mashup. Collect lanterns while beating up a ninja and a green sumo wrestler. Brilliant two-player mode.

Trailblazer (Commodore 64)
479179-trailblazer-commodore-64-screenshot-gameplay.png

Trailblazer_Animation.gif

Guide a ball through tricky levels. Prepare to fall down pits a lot. Great fun with two players!

Wonder Boy In Monster Land (Sega Master System)
screenshot_wonderboyinmonsterland_002.png

IJMTH.jpg

Sure, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap is the superior game, but that one's not so obscure nowadays due to the release of the recent remake. The previous installment in the Wonder Boy series is a fun platformer with light RPG elements and it's still worth checking out.

Mazin Wars / Mazin Saga (Sega Mega Drive)
339.gif

634.gif

Beat 'em up with elements of platformers and fighting games. Simple yet solid.

ESWAT: City Under Siege (Sega Mega Drive)
genesis-3.png

genesis-siege-eswat-58afbe31ffd06034e3b7c476-g.gif

Cool platform shoot 'em up. Recommended if you like games like Revenge Of Shinobi.

Double Dragon Advance (Gameboy Advance)
dda_fase1.jpg

tumblr_nwvfwdgEFv1r9mds2o1_500.gif

The best Double Dragon game in existence, and one of the best beat 'em ups I've ever played. Great mashup of the first two Double Dragons, with updated graphics, new enemies and levels and great, responsive controls.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Gimmick! for NES/Famicom

gfs_59409_2_5.jpg

Amazingly ambitious 8-bit platformer with an incredible amount of unique assets, a high-skill ceiling physics system, and a one of a kind soundtrack using an additional sound chip.

Unfortunately, the game has never been rereleased, and a genuine cart will cost you several hundred dollars minimum on the secondhand market. Would love to play this one on real hardware someday.

tumblr_mpxwn8XnA21roqda3o1_500.gif

Bucky O'Hare for NES. One of the most pleasant surprises in the console's library. I played it for the first time at a friend's house almost five years back and it immediately became one of my favorite NES games. It's a licensed title, based on the old cartoon, so the only way to play would be to procure a used cartridge.

Payed $95 dollars for my copy and have no regrets. One of the best action-platformers ever made.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
Solar Jetman for the NES.

Rygar for the NES.

Demon Sword for the NES.

Little Nemo, Gargoyle's Quest 2, and Monster Party also for the NES.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Warriors

v1NWZ17.png

Basically an unintentional American riff on Konami's Assault Suits/Target Earth/Cybernator series. I remember renting this one weekend back in the day and having an amazing time with it, including the two-player versus mode. You could even get in and out of mechs. Looking back, it's shocking how "90's anime" this game looked despite being from Lucasarts.

My weirdest recommendation, however, is a portable game: Donkey Kong '94, or simply Donkey Kong:
latest

This is a fantastic game. It starts off pretending to be a conversion of the original arcade game, but after you finish the first set of levels the game flips upside-down and becomes a totally new thing.

The whole "acrobatic Mario" theme that got popularized in Super Mario 64 actually started with this game. Seriously, it's outstanding.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this game probably ties with Super Mario Odyssey somewhat (haven't played it yet). The very first world after the arcade one is titled "Big City", and definitely alludes to what New Donk City is - besides having Pauline and all.

I didn't even know about this game until it came out on Virtual Console on 3DS, and it's probably one of my favorite games I have for that system. It's pretty much the true sequel to the original Donkey Kong, and it sucks Nintendo never made any more other than the Mario vs Donkey Kong spin-off games.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I am a big follower of retro games, trying to find lost gems and such, so I have a pretty good pulse on obscurities... but one game that I recently discovered by perusing my friend's Everdrive, that I have -NEVER- heard mentioned by the retro community is Saint Sword for the Genesis.

It's by Taito, with that Conan the Barbarian art style that was all the rage in the late 80's-early 90's. A game with slightly nonlinear levels where you have to kill a specific enemy to get a key, then find the exit. You also get a few limited-time transformations, into a centaur, bird, or mermaid. The controls are solid, graphics are decent for their time, music is excellent too.

Saint-Sword-U-c007.jpg

saint-sword-1335819622.png

Saint-Sword-U-c020.jpg

spydersvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
Sweet Home on the Famicom (fan translation patch available) - it's basically Resident Evil on the NES.

I'm also really fond of The Goonies on the Famicom, which is more of a puzzle room level design. Almost like Vampire Killer (Castlevania) on the MSX...but actually good.

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Crest, one of the best platformes ever, yet people talk 100 times more about Super Mario World (nothing against it).

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know this sounds a bit silly given the fame and reach of the series, but anyone who hasn't played Metal Gear 1 & 2 should make it their primary ambition in life to do so.

Metal Gear 1 is good, but Metal Gear 2 is incredible. The concepts and mechanics they pulled off with the technology they had is amazing. The game feels like a modern story-driven action game... just in pixels. Metal Gear 2 will challenge how sophisticated you believe "8 bit" games can be.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad the only re-releases of Kenseiden have been on GameTap (now gone) and the most recent AtGames Genesis (I don't trust the quality on those things).

It seems a shame to let this thread die quickly so here are some more games I didn't see mentioned yet:

Another World/Out of this World (Amiga and a ton of ports)
Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition is available on most modern systems.
Upf4039.png
Upf4039.png

GG Shinobi 1 and 2 (Game Gear)
The ninja action you would expect from Shinobi but with some Mega Man-inspired design. You acquire different characters with unique abilities. The first game is on 3DS Virtual Console. The second game is generally considered an improvement but unfortunately it hasn't been re-released.
TAAJcHV.jpg

Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (Atari 8-bit)
The 2600 version has seen re-releases in Activision Anthology compilations but I don't think the Atari 8-bit computer version has. It was the definitive version back in the day because of having a second quest.
xFtZcOM.gif

Demon Attack (Intellivision)
swnzTbU.jpg

Shadow of the Beast III (Amiga)
More accessible gameplay than the first two games but unfortunately not ported elsewhere.
ibp8a0b.png

Moon Crystal (Famicom)
X0CeXQ9.gif

The Last Ninja 1 and 2 (Commodore 64)
The trial and error design will turn off some people but for those of us that 'get' these games, they're classic action-adventures. The first game was on Wii VC but it has since been removed. It wasn't emulated well, anyway.
YtkTb1F.png

Penguin Land (Master System)
Puzzle platforming plus a level editor.
ZOel6Nf.jpg

Gaiares (Genesis)
ssjScAw.jpg

Archon (Commodore 64/Atari 8-bit)
Other ports and remakes just aren't the same.
cEuALne.png

Hagane (SNES)
ohl4Jhu.png

Sega Light Phaser games on the Master System have aged really well but you will want real hardware to properly enjoy them : Rescue Mission, Safari Hunt, Gangster Town, Missile Defense 3D, Rambo III, etc..
62wgPRn.png

XrEQoy7.png

A bunch of TurboGrafx games are on Wii U Virtual Console. The selection isn't as good as the library for the original Wii since there aren't any CD ones. The old Wii TG16 games often had nasty vaseline filters on them, though.

Alien Crush/Devil's Crush series
5rSZCQ2.png

Blazing Lazers
1xWitKq.png

Bonk series
Mazc6At.png

While not quite the same experience as the original, Bonk's Amiga port is available to download legally for free at Factor 5's site - http://www.factor5.de/downloads.shtml

Ninja Spirit
EREQqNL.gif

Super Star Soldier series
cVHmaHY.gif

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
E.V.O. Search for Eden

E.V.O._-_Search_for_Eden_Coverart.png

I absolutely adored this game as a kid, and having it played it again recently still loved it. Evolve through multiple geological times, progressing through a bunch of different creatures. A ton of fun that I think still holds up

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Blazer for SNES is pretty fun.

It's a top-down action RPG. It's not too long either btw.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Phantasy Star 4 is criminally underrated it can stand with any snes rpg

Nov 1, 2017
most underrated? maybe Actraiser, Soul Blazer and Terranigma.

Terranigma
is especially underrated. You RPG out a creation myth. There is nothing else like it.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Crest is my favorite SNES game and nobody ever talks about it. The atmosphere and world-building are incredible, especially for the time. It's a Metroidvania-style platformer with intricately designed areas, which are all connected by a big Mode-7 world map. The action is as tight as you would expect from a Capcom game.

MV5BOWIyNzNkOTMtNjgwMy00NzRjLWFkODgtY2MzN2NlMmE3YWYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzIyNTI3OTg@._V1_.jpg
stageone.png
Exactly what I came in here to post. It blows my mind that Demon's Crest isn't talked about the same way people talk abut Mega Man, Castlevania, etc. It's an absolutely incredible game and does things that very few of its contemporaries were doing.

I just finished up a playthrough on my SNES Classic, in fact. The game still holds up.

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 2 (Sega Master System)
vDuQaFD.gif

It plays nothing like Sonic 2 on Genesis, it's its own adventure entirely. There are some flaws, but overall, it's a fun, vibrant game with a kickass soundtrack.

This game is awful, and the only worse Sonic games during those days were Drift 1, Labyrinth and Sonic Blast.

Gentlepoke

Nov 5, 2017
Sweet Home on the Famicom (fan translation patch available) - it's basically Resident Evil on the NES.

I'm also really fond of The Goonies on the Famicom, which is more of a puzzle room level design. Almost like Vampire Killer (Castlevania) on the MSX...but actually good.
Seconded on The Goonies (Famicom). It's just so easy to pick up and play.

Oct 27, 2017
Check out Willow for the NES.

tavern.gif

It's a "Zelda clone", but a damn good one. However, unlike Zelda, Willow has RPG elements like leveling up. You can find and use quite the variety of spells, swords, shields,etc. Gameplay style and movement is similar to A Link to the Past. You can move in all directions unlike the original Zelda, and the character swings his sword around instead of the simple stabbing that Link did in the original.

Graphics are SUPERB for the era and platform, and the music is very catchy.

It is (VERY) loosely based on the movie by the same name. And I mean LOOSELY.

It has a pretty big world to explore, several caverns, towns and optional treasure chests to obtain upgrades.

willownes-6.png

If you like Action-RPG's and you love the Zelda style, I'm sure you will end loving this game as much as I do.

This game gave me nightmares as a kid. The music, the way the grass shook when you got into battle, the weird proportions of all the NPCs when compared to the main character, etc. Fucking terrified me, especially that goddamn scorpion thing near the beginning and the horrifying caves.

Oct 25, 2017
This game gave me nightmares as a kid. The music, the way the grass shook when you got into battle, the weird proportions of all the NPCs when compared to the main character, etc. Fucking terrified me, especially that goddamn scorpion thing near the beginning and the horrifying caves.

Honestly? Same here. I was terrified of it when I was a kid, especially when going into caves. As I grew up I began to like it more and more. :)

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
This game is awful, and the only worse Sonic games during those days were Drift 1, Labyrinth and Sonic Blast.
It's bad on Game Gear, and the games you listed lead me to believe that you're talking about the Game Gear version. If so, I agree with you. But in the game's defense, many of the Game Gear problems are not present in the Master System version, such as the notorious Underground Zone Act 3. The Master System has a slightly higher resolution than the Game Gear, which makes controlling Sonic a lot easier.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's bad on Game Gear, and the games you listed lead me to believe that you're talking about the Game Gear version. If so, I agree with you. But in the game's defense, many of the Game Gear problems are not present in the Master System version, such as the notorious Underground Zone Act 3. The Master System has a slightly higher resolution than the Game Gear, which makes controlling Sonic a lot easier.
This is true. Being able to actually see more of the obstacles makes the SMS version much better. The GG version gives it a bad rep.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
It's been said, but Terranigma. One of my absolute favourite games a kid. I always wondered why nobody ever seemed to acknowledge it, until I learnt a few years ago that it was never released in the US. The overworld map is actually a map of the Earth, which I thought was so cool as a kid.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
At 4 or 5 years old, I didn't know much about video games other than the arcade cabinets and ugly DOS PC games, so I was kind of amazed to see my cousins' Genesis when I visited them. All these games with beautiful visuals and incredible responsiveness. Had to ask my parents for one haha. I did get around to playing SNES games too much later.

Aero the Acrobat and its sequel.

32831-Aero_the_Acro-Bat_(USA)-1458959255.png

Fun platform games with a neat art style.

NBA Jam

38737-NBA_Jam_Tournament_Edition_(World)-1459709856.png

"BOOM Shakalaka!"

'Nuff said.

Tiny Toon Adventures

39348-Tiny_Toon_Adventures_-_Buster's_Hidden_Treasure_(USA)-1453712395.png

This game had some really interesting gameplay mechanics, like Sonic.

Lost Vikings

lost-vikings-04.png

Toejam and Earl and its sequels.

Screen_Shot_2014-11-07_at_5.19.42_PM.0.0.png

Honourable mentions: Alex Kidd (someone has an avatar of this game), Tiny Toon Sports, Newzealand Story, Flicky and Pocky and Rocky (I always forget the name of this game).

Super Tennis on SNES needs more love for an excellent game.
35922-Super_Tennis_(USA)-1459532315.png
Yes, thank you. I've spent so many hours on this, both doubles and singles. Doubles are the most fun. One thing this game did well was when you were playing doubles and you switched sides, the AI would also appropriately switch sides. Playing the newer tennis games on the GB/GBA, this was sorely missing.

Last edited: