• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I can't stand it when someone tells me I look like a well-known Black person.

Not in the "hey, did you got to such & such school? Cuz you look like a friend I knew from way back" kinda shit. That's fine. I mean specifically in the "ayyy you look like *insert Black celebrity or character here*" way. It's always someone that doesn't look like me at all, and I can't help but take it as either an insult, or as racism because they think all niggas look alike or whatever.

Doing this is a easy way to get cut off. What are some of your social hard lines?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

Not in the "hey, did you got to such & such school? Cuz you look like a friend I knew from way back" kinda shit. That's fine. I mean specifically in the "ayyy you look like *insert Black celebrity or character here*" way. It's always someone that doesn't look like me at all, and I can't help but take it as either an insult, or as racism because they think all niggas look alike or whatever.

Doing this is a easy way to get cut off. What are some of your social hard lines?
FWIW, I get told I look like various random white male celebrities all the time too.

Oct 27, 2017
When you're walking down a skinny sidewalk and you have two people walking towards you shoulder to shoulder, taking up the whole sidwalk in the process and neither one of them step back/to the side when you inevitably reach each other so you can comfortably walk past.

So got damn rude.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
The "you look like X black person" annoys me also, but to their credit, from middle to high school to college, all these different people who didn't know each other all landed on the same person so maybe they're right.

Condescension and patronization mostly get on my nerves, especially when it's completely unprompted. And then on here, oddly abrasive answers to simple questions.
Example: Do you celebrate your birthday?
Them: No, I'm not a 12 year old.

Have you ever broken a console?
Them: No, I actually take care of my items.

Who talks to people like that?

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God. I have a couple things that trigger my anxiety. My introverted rant when I'm in social settings:

People that never seem to stop talking and can't pick up on the social cues that everybody is starting to lose interest in what they're talking about. I had a coworker that wouldn't stop ranting about something for (what felt like) an hour straight. Some people just cannot stop talking about themselves, and I personally start tuning it out after 10 minutes.

The person in my example is a cool guy but I just can't deal with constant conversations especially when it's about the same thing (usually about them) and it's long winded.

Another thing that kinda makes me uncomfortable in social settings are people that swear non-stop around children and elderly folk. I'm no prude, I cuss like a sailor on Era and around my own friends in areas where it's just us (or areas where kids aren't allowed ie bars)

But when it's kindergarteners and their grandmas around it's almost like I have a natural switch where my crass gets dialed down.

But not for some people lmao. "Fuck this, fuck that, suck a dick" blah blah blah. Like c'mon yo, control yourself around certain ages lol.

I probably seem uptight. But some peoples mannerisms just make me go "bruh".

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Mine probably don't qualify as "pet peeves" as they're boring, broader annoyances, but:

1) Rudeness and arrogance towards service staff (hospitality, retail, etc) is a pretty quick way to evaporate respect I have for you. Having little to no consideration for the hard work service staff do, treating them like they need to earn your respect, and blaming them for service/business problems they almost assuredly have no say in, says a lot more about you as an individual, your self worth, and your perception of others, than it does about the staffer. I have pretty low tolerance for it.

2) Persistent tardiness. I don't care if people are late, I don't care if they forget, I don't care if life gets in the way. I don't care if they're not precisely on time. Shit happens and I'm not that anal about it, because it happens to me too. But if you're someone consistently, persistently late to literally, literally everything and you never, ever communicate you're running late, you need to develop better awareness of and respect towards your actions and how they impact others. If you're someone who is consistently late, okay, just communicate. Tell me you're running late. Give me a heads up your schedule isn't aligning with mine. Give me information to make a decision. If you're always late to shit, especially shit involving me, and you never communicate until the last minute, I'm going to fucking lose it.

Although, thinking about, my pet peeves probably are:

1) Hammering the pedestrian button at traffic lights. Pressing it over and over and over and over again does not accumulate data in the traffic network and does not make the light go red faster. Press it once and let the system coordinate.
2) Standing or stopping right out the front of gates/entrances or in the middle of walkways. Happens in the supermarket a lot. People walk in through the gates, and decide right then and there is the appropriate time to stop and check their wallets, purposes, or bags or whatever. Step to the side. Allow the flow of people to keep moving.
3) Judgement of children in public. Most of the time kids are just being kids, in that they're irrational, barely controllable little shits. Parents have a hard enough time just parenting, and 99% of the time are doing a fantastic job. You only notice and pick out the worst, most difficult moments, and use that as some weird barometer for their parenting skills. Just shut the fuck up and leave them alone.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I feel like being on The Spectrum™, my biggest social pet peeve is someone having too many nitpicky social pet peeves. I have enough to worry about in social interactions without having to consider that whoever I'm talking to might dislike me because I breathed a way they don't like, or something.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
"Kid's these days..."

shut up oldie. your grandparents said the same bout your generation.

people who only do surprise visits.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
- People who stare
- People who can't read my resting bitch face/headphones on and still come to talk to me
- People who are right up your ass when you're standing in line
- Condescending attitudes towards other people's opinions/interests

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I once got told I looked like Frodo.

While true, I did not appreciate it.

Would take literally any other random white male celebrity.
We are on the same page then. I used to get Elijah Wood/Frodo all the time. I don't have my hair in the same style anymore so and I'm older so I don't get it as much now. My SO didn't believe me but she has now seen multiple people come up and ask me.

I get some other celebrities now and then but that is by far the most common.

On topic, I avoid drama as much as possible so people who like to stir shit up really, really annoy me.

The other thing is strangers trying to talk to me in public when I clearly have headphones on. It is almost always for something that was not worthy of me turning off what I am listening to and taking out my earbuds or off my headphones. I get stopped all the time when walking with or without my dog.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like when I've made a subjective decision at work and I'm asked why I did it, when in actuality they just want me to change it. They don't actually care about the "why," they just want me to feel like I did something incorrectly. I'm a designer, so this is stuff like "why did you make this at font size 1. Please change to font size 1.01." Why did you ask why?

Also dislike when people back up a request with an ill-informed blog post aimed at DIYers. "Always use font size 1.015." No particular logic but it is the last word because it exists on the internet.

My dog is reactive and I work very hard to work with her on it. The things I do for it are very conspicuous (as are her reactions) yet others do things like cross to the same side as me after I've crossed to avoid them. Totally get that it's not other people's problem to super keep track of what I'm doing and why, but man does it ever drive me nuts.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
- People who can't read my resting bitch face/headphones on and still come to talk to me

This. I have serious RBF and even as I'm intently trying to do my work on the computer, people will still walk up and look at you until you talk to them.

Hell. Sometimes I don't even have work. I just look at old emails, hoping they'll take the hint that I don't feel like talking, but they'll straight up stare at you until you look their way. Lol smh.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
People who say "you're too smart for X" as if me being a modicum above average of intelligence because I do more than doom scroll social media and actually read some articles of substance every once in awhile make me some genius savant who knows all and can do anything.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019

I find it interesting that so many people act like White people dont just as often get miss recognized as some celeb that they dont look like or that white people only forget black faces. Im here to tell you that isnt the case. Whites all the time either dont recognize each other correctly or think they look like some celeb they look nothing like. I dont think its a good idea to allways be reading in to that. 99% of time shits completly normal for people to do to each other and is an innocent mistake. Ans its not some exclusive mistake that white people make.

Oct 27, 2017
Oblivious people, especially at the grocery store who block the lane with their cart not aware other people need to move through that space.
Learn to move your cart in front of you off to one side, please and thank you.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
People who say "you're too smart for X" as if me being a modicum above average of intelligence because I do more than doom scroll social media and actually read some articles of substance every once in awhile make me some genius savant who knows all and can do anything.
I know right.
Peoples Intelluctual Standards are so god damm low now.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
When people waste my time with horribly told stories about something they've experienced. I don't expect everyone to have an author's ability to give a great story every time. But if 90% of your stories you give me are filled to the brim with useless details and it's mostly you making mountains out of molehills…i will learn to hate you. Seriously. I will fucking hate you. I can't think of anything that makes my blood boil in regular social situations. But when someone is just ranting I feel trapped there. There's VERY little i can say or do in that situation that won't make me come off as an asshole so I've learned to just sit there with a blank stare and borderline disassociate.

If only I could just teleport away. That's the dream.

Oct 27, 2020
When people tell me to smile or cheer up. It was nice when we were wearing masks as I didn't have to hear that, but now I feel like I have someone (usually an older man) says it to me at least once a week.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of, but I get annoyed by people who wait in line through multiple orders only to finally look at the menu and start deciding at the register. They usually ask questions like "what comes on a big mac?" or "are your tortillas made fresh daily here at taco bell?"

I also really don't like it when people blow their nose at the table or around people who are eating. That one there is a pet peeve that I learned from someone else.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
When people stand behind me silently and wait instead of just asking me to move out of the way, please. Always makes me feel weird and kinda unsettled when I move on my own and just hear 3 other people I hadn't noticed behind me. I'm not gonna eat you, just tell me to get out of the damm way

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
When people stand behind me silently and wait instead of just asking me to move out of the way, please. Always makes me feel weird and kinda unsettled when I move on my own and just hear 3 other people I hadn't noticed behind me. I'm not gonna eat you, just tell me to get out of the damm way
Does this actually happen?

I need more context cuz this sounds super creepy.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Does this actually happen?

I need more context cuz this sounds super creepy.

It happens to me often when I go to my local supermarket. I'll be blocking the way for somebody I can't see and they just won't say anything. They'll stand there and wait until I move, as if they're afraid to tell me to give them some space to move through

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Random people i don't know always calling me big guy or big man. I know it not meant to be negative when they say it but i don't like it because it's basically like coming up to me and saying you're quite tall and fat.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i mind people being dickish condescending or whatever, otherwise i have the patience of a saint and i don't want to be annoyed by people who are just being shy/nice in their own way

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
People who can't stop talking no matter how many cues you give them that it's time to stop. I work where a lot of old people come in and it happens a lot. I get that many of them are lonely and want to tell their story but I have to work.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I can't stand when people are in the way. Oblivious people who stop to chat in a doorway. People who walk slowly side by side down a hallway not realizing someone is trying to get around them. Someone stopping to look at their phone in the grocery store, and they're blocking the item you need. Public spaces are shared spaces, have some consideration for the people around you.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

Sometimes i wait because I want to browse a section and I'm just waiting my turn. If i know exactly what i want I'll jump in real quick with an 'excuse me' and grab it, but I'm not going to hurry you along just so i can then stand there for 5 minutes looking at the variety.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I got so fed up of terrible movie theatre etiquette that I basically stopped going.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
2) Persistent tardiness. I don't care if people are late, I don't care if they forget, I don't care if life gets in the way. I don't care if they're not precisely on time. Shit happens and I'm not that anal about it, because it happens to me too. But if you're someone consistently, persistently late to literally, literally everything and you never, ever communicate you're running late, you need to develop better awareness of and respect towards your actions and how they impact others

Was about to post this.
I don't mess with these "sorry sth came up" type of people anymore.
Have a wife, daughter, full time job and work around the house to take care of.
My "meet friends" time is therefore very limited.

Have witnessed first hand how one of my buddies screwed over a guy he was supposed to meet. Agreed to meet the dude in an hour at a location ca. 20mins away. Then ordered food the moment he hung up.
Just a little math in your head would tell you that it's virtually impossible for the food to arrive (~30min / best case scenario), eat (~15min), get ready and get to the meeting spot (20mins) on time.
Dude had an hour to get somewhere 20mins away and still was late, was done with him as a person after witnessing this.
Put a lot of incidents where he was late into perspective.

Personally I would have just eaten a sandwich, chill a bit and make it there with plenty of time to spare. Inconveniencing a friend of mine by being late for some takeout?

Just an anecdotal example but it is that kind of mindset that makes people habitually late to shit.

jleo

Aug 12, 2021
Parents who put babies/children in front of iPads with the sound all the way up

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
People being late and not communicating they will be late. If i have to wait more than 15 minutes I just leave.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
People who get inquisitive and all up in your business as to why you didn't marry or find an SO. I didn't find the right person for me and I chose not to settle and possibly ruining my life. Healthy financial standing took precedence, particularly living in the US.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Buzzkills.
Everyone is trying to have a good time, people who intentionally try to sour the mood or be a dick for no reason is a huge red flag for me.

On the flip side, people who are receptive to keeping the good times flowing are my favorite kinds of people.