• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've been cooking every meal at home for 2 weeks straight now and I got maybe another week and a half left before I need to start looking for inspiration

Tonight I made poke bowls with some tuna I had in the freezer

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Chicken and Dumplings
OVUWvfe.jpg

Tater Tot Hotdish
kANkIqi.jpg

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
rice and chicken

chicken salad

egg salad

beans and rice

noodles and soft boiled egg

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
fuckin spam

i have like 10 cans of that shit

put that with rice and i'm gooooooooooooooooooood

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cooked a big pot of Chili last night which I will mostly eat in form of wraps with lettuce, cheddar, cream and spring onions. Will freeze half of the Chili.

Other than that, made some Gulash with Sauerkraut a week ago for the first time which was surpisingly easy (the variant is called "Szegediner Gulash").

Got my asian/thai cuisine fix in with Kao Soi, Pad Thai and Papaya Salad last week, too.

Potatoes with Quark (linseed oil mixed in) and some diced onions on top is also an easy and tasty staple dish that I make regularly.

edit: forgot the one-pot pasta dish with broccoli and cream.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
A lot of tinned tuna and beans, plus chicken and re-heated frozen vegetables. Healthy, but grim.

I'm a horrid cook, but decided as of a few days ago I was going to change that, so slowly working through the basics (and I mean the absolute basics). If anyone has any good resources or tips for an absolute goober in the kitchen, I'm all ears.

Currently not focusing on recipes, but just aiming to get the fundamentals and principles down-pat (optimal ways of cooking different meats and cuts of meats, how to cook certain vegetables, how to season and salt).

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Made veggie meatball stroganoff today :)
Tastes amazing
Cheated and used a flavour seasoning packet though (NOT a sauce).

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I made a butternut squash soup yesterday as my wife baked for the first time and made chocolate and orange muffins. Both turned out pretty well!

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of tinned tuna and beans, plus chicken and re-heated frozen vegetables. Healthy, but grim.

I'm a horrid cook, but decided as of a few days ago I was going to change that, so slowly working through the basics (and I mean the absolute basics). If anyone has any good resources or tips for an absolute goober in the kitchen, I'm all ears.

Currently not focusing on recipes, but just aiming to get the fundamentals and principles down-pat (optimal ways of cooking different meats and cuts of meats, how to cook certain vegetables, how to season and salt).
www.youtube.com

ChefToddMohr

Chef Todd Mohr's mission is to demystify recipes and reveal chef secrets to bring people back to their home kitchens. By teaching basic cooking method over t...

I learned a lot from this guy over the years. Not the fanciest production but a lot of good lessons about basic cooking skills / techniques, different forms of applying heat, making sauces, etc. Basically he wants you to be able to cook without recipes.

For asian cooking, this is my go-to channel:
www.youtube.com

School of Wok

Hey there, wokstars! Welcome to the School of Wok YouTube channel, home to the epic recipe playlist, Wok Wednesdays. We are a pun-loving, award-winning Asian...

If you are German and would like to learn some traditional German recipes:
www.youtube.com

CALLEkocht - Grandma's Recipes

We are Chef Calle and Camera operator Carmen. Every week we show you grandma's recipes and tips about cooking. Grandma's recipes are our passion! We have mad...

Very fun cooking channel which you probably know about already:
www.youtube.com

Food Wishes

Hello this is Chef John, and welcome to the Food Wishes channel, where the food is the star. Watch these fun-to-make, and easy-to-follow recipes, and you'll ...

Last edited:

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017

If you're down for a book, I'd highly recommend Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. Does a really good job of establishing a good framework so you understand the basic building blocks of all good dishes. It's also a really breezy read, you can get through it pretty quickly and then the back quarter is structured like a workbook where you take the concepts you learned and practice them with different recipes.

From there, I'd recommend The Food Lab. It's a bit more technical and it's more structured the recipes, so it's more of a deeper dive into how to make (a lot) of specific recipes. I've gotten countless fantastic tips and just about every recipe I've tried from it has been great. Most of the recipes and info can be found on SeriousEats (his website) but I like the way the book is organized. Oh, and both of these are great Ebooks.

Bon Appetit has a series called "Basically" where they limit each recipe to just 10 ingredients. A lot of really great, simple dishes on there and there's usually a walkthrough vid to accompany the recipe, if that's more your thing.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been cooking most our food and baking almost daily.

Here's some things I've done recently

I started making red Miso paste and getting a biproduct of amazing tamari sauce a few months ago. An ongoing project, but even after a few months the paste and sauce are incredible. It's going to go a full year+ and I just use a little bit of it at a time.

an31Ztu.jpg

Used the Miso the other day for a few things. Made chicken and salmon glazed with a Miso sauce I made.

wGH6GHD.jpg

I made my own bacon, brined and smoked, then sliced.

boyCqCa.jpg

cN2PntW.jpg

Then lastly the bread this week. Started with french bread for sandwiches and such

uG0wV3X.jpg

But then evolved into some artisanal loaves as I got back into it.

Standard loaf
xJfWZ3W.jpg

Expiremental loafs (Were incredible, didn't need butter at all, tasty, rich, salty with a little hint of sweetness. Only thing I might do is a garlic infused olive oil for dipping). What they were is about a half a cup of Miso added into the dough mixture, then I brushed Miso/soy/tiny bit of oil mixture onto the crust, followed by an egg wash with the remaining touch of red Miso mixed into that. Really really good.

CDP0Cgu.jpg

NGSWLKF.jpg

Only mistake was I was worried about the bread burning due to our oven, so I probably pulled them a tiny bit early. Really good, but the crust wasn't quite as crackly/thick as I like.

Nov 8, 2017
Last thing I made was sausage casserole with mash and green beans. It was fine.

Tomorrow I'm making indian-style curry with some carolina reaper chilli in it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Glad to see Chef John mentioned in this thread already.

I've got some Creme Fraiche getting ready on my counter now.

m.youtube.com

Homemade Sour Cream! How to Make Creme Fraiche

Learn how to make a Creme Fraiche recipe aka Homemade Sour Cream! Visit http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemade-creme-fraiche-nobodys-ever.html for t...

And I'm gonna use it to make Beef Stroganoff tomorrow.

m.youtube.com

Beef Stroganoff Recipe - The Best Beef Stroganoff

Learn how to make a Beef Stroganoff Recipe! Visit http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/03/no-russian-this-beef-stroganoff-recipe.html for the ingredients! Plu...

Anyone making that stroganoff recipe I recommend doubling the mushrooms.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Monday - I think we had a Turkey loin with mashed potatoes and broccoli.
Tuesday - Insta pot broccoli cheddar soup with toasted baguette
Wednesday - Thanksgiving panini (Turkey, stuffing, swiss, homemade cranberry sauce, dijon mustard, sourdough)
mkDnotokUkB_KGkOhlkuqJLgC02nQTNXPU9Y4t4041t5af3SZkNzZsZOAUArzl1SiRBSt7bMW5mUuMNdgQH7XnY36Sn-0xTUQexjQOkifY4Szfbx29llm7A4cSnQaLgcI_UecnXIzNNOzFGkk-yKMutPg_SpifKvyLcaxj-RkGtI-AuMlnEnmVWYHBlRPXq62F-rqFWNj6l2zytv2bnNwYzKf8enBT3kV6PEza0K9XFgDph4F7YntJP-Koi4hsvGNEgVu8QCjKZynPkORpMQqsJzNm3xtuOfNN-RSBfgtD2IL7ZhbZRePA9u87arfYmYr80d4H-8_9ZgYKmEcE5Rsvmv0Ey13JUvRbVXoc42777XktSUMFy3E_gRsliyI_Ye2qB9DcZUhQ3x61A75cgT_1ahSmGvJ23hPAdaRHUku0MvXRApavKRPcUhBeWBzhBp4fy4hyEzRY2sUZGvzoaNVGt66IwLllcCXEYduAaQLPgH2hf0-QKLygg-9VyXVLPtRLB8vkiouX6NyK-y5JrL8Jrz6RbGpm8og6--vk3shNzNH7SIxMauaabpaX1ZTFodr5iy9DO9qEYg7GGgukb6NXBd9lSDUiPKR4_Mq6sN4OYvi6XiUD3x8zgujafslEiJgew-mI03Rup55gM_EgXXOg7Ay_l9ESEijxEaFcwc_UH8f9qcuGODy0yHvOECEA=w1292-h970-no

Thursday- Dragon Noodles with shrimp and pot stickers.
Friday - Takeout pizza
Saturday - Wings with sauce bar.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Homemade Creamy Mac & Cheese

I use this recipe but I replace the gruyere with young gouda cheese cause it's like 6 bucks a pound vs 21 and still tastes great. I've basically just been making a full pan of this and replacing it with a new batch when the wife and I finish all of it over the span of a week or so as a side with whatever protein and veggie we're eating. I like it well enough but my wife could literally eat this for 3 meals a day for a month without flinching. I swear she only married me cause I was willing to make this for her on demand.

My Instant Pot has been getting a lot of work lately, too. Made some potato soup, and then pulled pork the other night out of a huge pork shoulder I got for 8 bucks.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There is something pretty awesome about cooking as a family. We are making chicken parm tonight and everyone will be chipping in.

We are cooking pretty much everyday. Occasionally there are some breaks and the kids will eat some fish sticks for lunch, but we and the wife are taking turns making eggs every day for breakfast (though we just ran out of orange juice). We made steaks and burgers in the last 10 days.

Aztechnology is on another level with his cooking though. Man we have to start making our own bread...

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
five spice roast duck. the leftovers went into making homemade duck fat shoestring fries with chopped crispy duck breast on top

had some bacon in the freezer, so we made bacon cheddar scones

also eating sauteed kale with basically every meal

edit
since somebody mentioned instant pot, thing is awesome for making tasty chicken soup. Sautee some onions and garlic in the pot, then throw in stuff like celery and chopped carrots, then I just drop in a package of frozen chicken thighs and some broth to get the liquid up. set it for 30 min at high pressure. while that's going, boil some pasta until just underdone, strain it and cold water bath it, then once the instant pot is done and the top off, stir in the pasta, liberally squeeze some lemon over it all. easy easy easy. Really wanna try it with some curry and coconut milk and lemongrass

Last edited:

Boy

Apr 24, 2018

I started making red Miso paste and getting a biproduct of amazing tamari sauce a few months ago. An ongoing project, but even after a few months the paste and sauce are incredible. It's going to go a full year+ and I just use a little bit of it at a time.

an31Ztu.jpg

Used the Miso the other day for a few things. Made chicken and salmon glazed with a Miso sauce I made.

wGH6GHD.jpg

boyCqCa.jpg

cN2PntW.jpg

Then lastly the bread this week. Started with french bread for sandwiches and such

uG0wV3X.jpg

Standard loaf
xJfWZ3W.jpg

Expiremental loafs (Were incredible, didn't need butter at all, tasty, rich, salty with a little hint of sweetness. Only thing I might do is a garlic infused olive oil for dipping). What they were is about a half a cup of Miso added into the dough mixture, then I brushed Miso/soy/tiny bit of oil mixture onto the crust, followed by an egg wash with the remaining touch of red Miso mixed into that. Really really good.

CDP0Cgu.jpg

NGSWLKF.jpg

Only mistake was I was worried about the bread burning due to our oven, so I probably pulled them a tiny bit early. Really good, but the crust wasn't quite as crackly/thick as I like.

What's your address? i'm coming over, lol. Your food looks scrumptious.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
www.youtube.com

ChefToddMohr

Chef Todd Mohr's mission is to demystify recipes and reveal chef secrets to bring people back to their home kitchens. By teaching basic cooking method over t...

I learned a lot from this guy over the years. Not the fanciest production but a lot of good lessons about basic cooking skills / techniques, different forms of applying heat, making sauces, etc. Basically he wants you to be able to cook without recipes.

For asian cooking, this is my go-to channel:
www.youtube.com

School of Wok

Hey there, wokstars! Welcome to the School of Wok YouTube channel, home to the epic recipe playlist, Wok Wednesdays. We are a pun-loving, award-winning Asian...

If you are German and would like to learn some traditional German recipes:
www.youtube.com

CALLEkocht - Grandma's Recipes

We are Chef Calle and Camera operator Carmen. Every week we show you grandma's recipes and tips about cooking. Grandma's recipes are our passion! We have mad...

Very fun cooking channel which you probably know about already:
www.youtube.com

Food Wishes

Hello this is Chef John, and welcome to the Food Wishes channel, where the food is the star. Watch these fun-to-make, and easy-to-follow recipes, and you'll ...
If you're down for a book, I'd highly recommend Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. Does a really good job of establishing a good framework so you understand the basic building blocks of all good dishes. It's also a really breezy read, you can get through it pretty quickly and then the back quarter is structured like a workbook where you take the concepts you learned and practice them with different recipes.

From there, I'd recommend The Food Lab. It's a bit more technical and it's more structured the recipes, so it's more of a deeper dive into how to make (a lot) of specific recipes. I've gotten countless fantastic tips and just about every recipe I've tried from it has been great. Most of the recipes and info can be found on SeriousEats (his website) but I like the way the book is organized. Oh, and both of these are great Ebooks.

Bon Appetit has a series called "Basically" where they limit each recipe to just 10 ingredients. A lot of really great, simple dishes on there and there's usually a walkthrough vid to accompany the recipe, if that's more your thing.
Thank you so much you two! Will definitely use these resources. I had already bought Food Lab on my Kindle, but after reading around it seems it's better to save it for my second cooking utility book, so have bought Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat now also.

It's a shame there isn't a cooking Era

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat
Thank you so much you two! Will definitely use these resources. I had already bought Food Lab on my Kindle, but after reading around it seems it's better to save it for my second cooking utility book, so have bought Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat now also.

It's a shame there isn't a cooking Era
You're welcome. Cooking also has become my go-to stress reliever. :)

And I'm going to buy that book, too. Maybe as an audio book if it's suitable.

Edit: There totally is a cookingEra thread somewhere around here.

Edit2: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ironera-ot-vol-1-mise-en-place.1449

Last edited:

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Bestie housemate whipping this up tonight:

5C6RAT4.jpg

It's actually a recipe she first improvised last year in imitation of a local restaurant's dynamite squid-ink spaghetti dish. She absolutely nailed it on that first try, so I know tonight's version is going to be galaxy-mouthgasm redux. 🤤

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I made a killer seafood stew earlier this week. Gonna try my hand at making some pasta sauces from scratch this weekend.

Aya

Last night I made oven baked broccoli sprinkled with pecorino. Served drowned in a creamy sauce (made from a bit of broccoli cooked in heavy cream, a lil chicken broth, pan roasted garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of Philadelphia cream cheese plus pecorino and lastly crispy bacon - blended together after they are cooked to form a nice creamy sauce that's pretty damn amazing).

Last edited:

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I've made:

Meatloaf (beef for my husband and chicken for me, made a batch of each into 1 serving size and froze all but 1 we each ate)
Homemade pizza
Chicken & Potatoes
Cheeseburger & Baked beans (Beans were from a can)
Chicken Parm (When hubby had the burger, I used a frozen chicken patty to make it easier, added sauce and Mozz cheese)
Pasta with red sauce
Chicken and veggies
Rice, with veggies and shredded chicken.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im in trouble guys, i have like 2 days, max 3 worth of food, but my next grocery delivery is due next thirsday and i can't go to the supermarket anymore due to having a chronic disease, what should i do? Just each potato and rice until there?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
inspo threads

www.resetera.com

Era, what are you cooking this quarantine?

Having these weekends off has put my creative juices on overdrive. I’ve made pizza, spicy shrimp, lasagna and more. It’s another fun thing to do with my SO. Today I got extra creative and got a whole pork picnic (purchased a week ago!). I took the bone out, and split the meat in half. Tomorrow...

www.resetera.com

For those holed up, what have you been eating/cooking?

I usually do Fresh Direct (an NYC area grocery delivery service) or Amazon Fresh, but those are completely booked obviously. I'm also in a COVID19 hotspot. I got a tip from a friend to order some food from a restaurant food supplier. I got my shipment the next day. This supplier opened up their...

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been cooking some really good food since I have nothing else to do. Made a nice tomato ragu from a whole pork shoulder, simmered until it was falling apart. Another good new thing I made was mujadarra - caramelized onion, lentils, and rice all cooked together (in stages), plus I threw in some golden raisins and made a yogurt sauce and cucumber salad with it too. Most bang for the buck I've gotten out my pantry in ages, HUGE flavor. It's a Lebanese dish and now I'm curious about trying more things from that region. Very humble ingredients but super satisfying.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Im in trouble guys, i have like 2 days, max 3 worth of food, but my next grocery delivery is due next thirsday and i can't go to the supermarket anymore due to having a chronic disease, what should i do? Just each potato and rice until there?

Can you find another store that can deliver sooner or move your delivery closer? Have a friend or family member get you more food? Possibly try going to a drug store, they have some food like canned soup, boxed stuff so you might be able to get enough food until your delivery comes but they are much less busy than grocery stores.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the stuff I've made over the last 2 weeks.

Mac and cheese:

pgwn24T.jpg

Pulled pork:
C1faSoL.jpg

zpEs8ts.jpg

Pulled pork nachos with caramelized onions:
j4iPADf.jpg

Naan pizzas with pineapple hot sauce:
uj2aabn.jpg

Buccatini Arrabiata:
8vzh7M8.jpg

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you find another store that can deliver sooner or move your delivery closer? Have a friend or family member get you more food? Possibly try going to a drug store, they have some food like canned soup, boxed stuff so you might be able to get enough food until your delivery comes but they are much less busy than grocery stores.
It all take a week to deliver, i'll try to convince a friend

Jun 10, 2018
I made some pizza with almond flour. The recipe called for coconut flour and baking soda, but I swapped those ingredients out for parmesan cheese and a whipped egg white.

Gotta say, I like the end result. The crust ends up having a buttery biscuit like quality, which only enhanced the flavor of the sauce and toppings.

Oct 28, 2017
I've not been cooking so much as I have been mixing stuff together, pouring stuff out of a can or just microwaving stuff.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Made some homemade mac & cheese the other day. Turned out pretty good, but I was hoping it would be creamier.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Made some homemade mac & cheese the other day. Turned out pretty good, but I was hoping it would be creamier.

The trick is to use low moisture cheeses to help emulsify harder cheeses like cheddar and parm. American cheese, mozarella, and cream cheese are all good things to add to bring the moisture content up.

Also, use waaaaay more cheese sauce than you think you need. Even the one I posted up there could have used more.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The trick is to use low moisture cheeses to help emulsify harder cheeses like cheddar and parm. American cheese, mozarella, and cream cheese are all good things to add to bring the moisture content up.

Also, use waaaaay more cheese sauce than you think you need.
I'll keep that in mind. I use provolone and added a shitton of steamed milk, haha. It tasted good but it took like 40 mins to melt the cheese.

I'll get a better cheese next time too! My local co-op didnt have a big variety this time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep that in mind. I use provolone and added a shitton of steamed milk, haha. It tasted good but it took like 40 mins to melt the cheese.

I'll get a better cheese next time too! My local co-op didnt have a big variety this time.

You should create a white sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Once it's thickened, the cheese should be grated and you just mix it in with the heat off and it should melt nearly instantly.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
You should create a white sauce with flour, butter, and milk. Once it's thickened, the cheese should be grated and you just mix it in with the heat off and it should melt nearly instantly.
Awesome. I'll try that next time! Maybe I'll even make sauce to put on the current mac, haha

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

an31Ztu.jpg

wGH6GHD.jpg

boyCqCa.jpg

cN2PntW.jpg

uG0wV3X.jpg

Standard loaf
xJfWZ3W.jpg

CDP0Cgu.jpg

NGSWLKF.jpg

Damn. Shut the thread down.