• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Escaflowne was a pretty great show. A game inspired by it could be amazing.

It would be!

Dy85jPtU8AARfN_.jpg

C9_lET_VoAA3ngu.jpg

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
an entry in a franchise that eventually becomes a souls game with new features.

jokes aside, Nothing. While it may be true they are working on more than one game at once, they just release a game, not expect much if anything.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I think there are some important things people are missing
During last year's e3 thread, Omni claimed Armored Core was in the works but we'd get some titles prior to it
Still coming. Couldn't say when as its not the only other thing they're working on but development seems to be going smoothly without any major issues.
Additionally, he mentioned that From had a third title (together w sekiro and this AC game) that was more soul-ish. Another post said that those sad about sekiro not having multiplayer/rpg would have something else to be excited about in the future...i think he was talking about the same game, which would also be the game miyazaki labeled as " An action role-playing game with a dark fantasy setting similar to Dark Souls, but approached from a 'different angle'. "

This has to be the game they'll show this e3
now, in regards to the setting, dark fantasy could encompass some sci-fi bits too, after all, they'll want to visually differenciate if from souls even if for the most part this is looking like it will be filled with their usual "knights n dragons". It cant be too sci-fi mech because then it might step on the upcoming ac game. If the dark souls IP is trully on a break, i'd see From wanting to have their own new IP that can turn into a franchise with time, one that represents what they've been mostly know for this past decade . So far the elements are there.

In regards to the director, I dont expect it to be full-on miyazaki but also wouldnt be surprised if he's co-director. Regardless, this is not something we should be too concerned with, From has other talented directors that shouldnt be judged for having their name on a product that had problems during developement. I can see miyazaki not wanting to take the spotlight from them.

As for the systems, i can see them reinventing the combat and maybe also bringing some traversal options from sekiro like swimming

TLDR: this can't go full on mech souls because AC is still coming. sci fi elements can still be there but classic dark fantasy will be more pressent cause from needs their new df IP

How am I doing Omnipotent , did I get anything?? If i can ask one question, would you say this game will be visually distinct enough from dark souls? is it on the level of dark souls to demon souls samey-ness? Maybe ds to bb? ds to sekiro??

Last edited:

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
I think there are some important things people are missing
During last year's e3 thread, Omni claimed Armored Core was in the works but we'd get some titles prior to it

Additionally, he mentioned that From had a third title (together w sekiro and this AC game) that was more soul-ish. Another post said that those sad about sekiro not having multiplayer/rpg would have something else to be excited about in the future...i think he was talking about the same game, which would also be the game miyazaki labeled as " An action role-playing game with a dark fantasy setting similar to Dark Souls, but approached from a 'different angle'. "

This has to be the game they'll show this e3
now, in regards to the setting, dark fantasy could encompass some sci-fi bits too, after all, they'll want to visually differenciate if from souls even if for the most part this is looking like it will be filled with their usual "knights n dragons". It cant be too sci-fi mech because then it might step on the upcoming ac game. If the dark souls IP is trully on a break, i'd see From wanting to have their own new IP that can turn into a franchise with time, one that represents what they've been mostly know for this past decade . So far the elements are there.

In regards to the director, I dont expect it to be full-on miyazaki but also wouldnt be surprised if he's co-director. Regardless, this is not something we should be too concerned with, From has other talented directors that shouldnt be judged for having their name on a product that had problems during developement. I can see miyazaki not wanting to take the spotlight from them.

As for the systems, i can see them reinventing the combat and maybe also bringing some traversal options from sekiro like swimming

How am I doing Omnipotent , did I get anything?? If i can ask one question, would you say this game will be visually distinct enough from dark souls? is it on the level of dark souls to demon souls samey-ness? Maybe ds to bb? ds to sekiro??

I was searching for the same information, and landed on this.

I told you guys that AC is in development weeks ago.
Unless you mean the other thing, in which case
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sooo... AC is there for sure. But who knows if it's the soup for this E3.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Sooo... AC is there for sure. But who knows if it's the soup for this E3.

That's what my whole post was about. by the way he talked it seemed like AC was second in the pipeline and this other game is coming first. Consider him mentioning the game "pleasing fans of fromsofts output for the past decade". It has been mostly souls-esque games recently, I dont see them releasing AC now.

on another note, i just found out that Escaflowne has some bits where mechs arent pressent. This is what i hope miyazaki meant when he mentioned the series as this is the level of sci-fi i'd love to have in this upcoming game. I dont think From wants 2 mech IPs so if they are going to take inspo from escaflowne then its either:
a) the not so mech heavy moments of the series
b) the ac game is the one taking inspo from escaflowne
tumblr_owtkt8jP9b1qzqnxxo1_r1_540.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That's what my whole post was about. by the way he talked it seemed like AC was second in the pipeline and this other game is coming first. Consider him mentioning the game "pleasing fans of fromsofts output for the past decade". It has been mostly souls-esque games recently, I dont see them releasing AC now.

on another note, i just found out that Escaflowne has some bits where mechs arent pressent. This is what i hope miyazaki meant when he mentioned the series as this is the level of sci-fi i'd love to have in this upcoming game. I dont think From wants 2 mech IPs so if they are going to take inspo from escaflowne then its either:
a) the not so mech heavy moments of the series
b) the ac game is the one taking inspo from escaflowne
tumblr_owtkt8jP9b1qzqnxxo1_r1_540.gif
Sekiro-style combat on foot + fantasy mecha parts? HGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGKHKCBKJVCKNBKVJXCNSDKNAKFN
oandsfohb
fdopigjfsdpajA
PODJASPOFJOSPJOAP

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
While escaflowne isn't all about mechs, the machine is the title of the show. There wouldn't be a whole lot there without the mechs.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
While escaflowne isn't all about mechs, the machine is the title of the show. There wouldn't be a whole lot there without the mechs.
you are probably right, and as Gbraga mentioned, miyazaki has also talked about Aura Battler Dunbine, another mech anime. I still think it'd be weird for them to release both an armored core game and an escaflowne like game...so unless they're both the same game then I dont know
Anyways, I dont think this e3 we'll get anything that has to do with that. As i said: looking like dark fantasy setting and perhaps a touch of scifi on top

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Off topic but does anyone remember this FromSoftware tech demo for PS2 from 1999?

vp8hWbF.jpg

efO9KIS.jpg

aw1b5BT.jpg

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with King's Field or another game that was eventually released, or canceled, or if it was just a demo not related to anything else.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Off topic but does anyone remember this FromSoftware tech demo for PS2 from 1999?

vp8hWbF.jpg

efO9KIS.jpg

aw1b5BT.jpg

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with King's Field or another game that was eventually released, or canceled, or if it was just a demo not related to anything else.

FromSoftware style was dope already in 1999.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
From Software doesn't release more then 1 game a year...next game is probably in 2021

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Armored Core, the fast pace ones.

Or a Armored Soul, ala those Concept Art/Fan Arts a few post above, those look amazing.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
From Software doesn't release more then 1 game a year...next game is probably in 2021
Omni is telling us they'll show a game this e3...chances are it'll come out march-april 2020. Nobody said they were releasing two games a year.
Armored Core, the fast pace ones.
Or a Armored Soul, ala those Concept Art/Fan Arts a few post above, those look amazing.
Pretty much confirmed the game we'll see isnt armored core, read my previous post
Also, for as much as people want them to mix both IPS, i dont think it'd do good for From to join their 2 biggest game series into one, it'd only normalize their output even more.
Again, i think there's a chance some sci-fi influece will be present in this coming dark fantasy arpg (or others in the future) but wouldnt expect mech stuff to be the focus. The more i think of it, the more it seems like it'll just be pure dark fantasy but with a slight visual twist to stand appart from the ds series, here's hoping Omni comes thru with some new bits

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
If I just give away everything about the announcement then it'll be less fun for everyone.
and it kinda shits on the months of hard work and care that people put into making these things.
Little over 3 weeks to go!

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
If I just give away everything about the announcement then it'll be less fun for everyone.
and it kinda shits on the months of hard work and care that people put into making these things.

That's right, agree with you, man.

I'd like to know if FromSoftware actually knows that there are some insiders out and there which give those little tidbits to the fans... and what's their position regarding this?

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gunna use this opportunity to plug these guys because I love these guys and I'm sure many of you guys will too:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah 3 weeks is a pretty easy wait it out. As always, whatever From puts out will likely be the thing Im looking forward to the most at E3. Hoping we get some announcement of sekiro dlc as well.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I agree, these weeks of speculation + hype are half the fun

A bit unrelated, but did we get any confirmation on whether or not Deracine was the "weird" game miyazaki talked about? I think there's good arguments for both sides

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I don't think my heart can handle another hype train this soon, Sekiro's was just a couple of months ago. My prediction about the game is that it will have souls-like combat with the traversal options/speed of Sekiro and will be open-world similiar to botw maybe with dungeons/bridges/valleys sprinkled all around that will also give it a bit of ds/bb style level design with shortcuts and whatnot.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
obviously! as I said before, I am already surprised at how much you have posted about it so far.

If all goes well during the upcoming weeks I will deliver at least one more hype bomb closer to E3 and I promise to make it worth the wait.
well now I am wondering what the heck kind of bombs you could drop at this point that won't give it away!

hmm

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
cursed with knowledge

maybe the big ole hype juice is "those cool looking models from a while ago are from the new game"

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
So there's something specific about this game that is producing overwhelming hype in Omni. But what is it? I remember them being more cautious about Sekiro. Their hype was strong, but measured. Now it's overflowing... What is it about this game that brings out the excitement?

1. The crazy GRRM rumor was true and Omni's a huge GOT fan? Fits with the "you'll be excited for what From could have done" comment.

2. It's a Battle Royale game!

3. It's a sequel to an old favorite. It was Bloodborne 2 all along. (Nope)

4. Genre that Omni prefers. SciFi? Horror? Romance...?

5. All of the above! Bloodborne sequel written by GRRM where you romance 100 player-controlled dolls! Okay, now I'm hyped!