• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
> when you see that Omnipotent seems to be more excited for this reveal than Sekiro's

giphy.gif

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet
I agree, these weeks of speculation + hype are half the fun

A bit unrelated, but did we get any confirmation on whether or not Deracine was the "weird" game miyazaki talked about? I think there's good arguments for both sides

I remember one of his older posts, Omni said Deracine is that the weird game, but Miyazaki declines it. I'm trusting Omni more than Miyazaki lol.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Ahh im even excited about minor stuff like finding out about the title. Will it be something souls ?? Are they done with that suffix???
Still cant wrap my head around what omni meant with "what could from have done differently"
I remember one of his older posts, Omni said Deracine is that the weird game, but Miyazaki declines it. I'm trusting Omni more than Miyazaki lol.
Same boat. I dont think miyazaki counting deracine as half a game deconfirms it.
So... like from DeS to DS ? Or biggest gap ?
looking like it'll be their new Knights IP, but expecting a bigger gap in combat + minor one in traversal

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they adapt posture and deflect mechanics to shield, armor and bigger/slower weapons and make a Dark Souls game with it, plus jumping/better/faster traversal and a new name/ip. And more daylight maps too, less dungeons.
Maybe classes that affect posture stats and traversal speed/weight but just inventory builds, levels and numbers everywhere can fuck off after (having played) Sekiro. :)

Oct 25, 2017
> when you see that Omnipotent seems to be more excited for this reveal than Sekiro's

giphy.gif
Yeah, that's crazy. Though I don't know how he personally feels about Sekiro after playing it, so maybe he's not that into it, but personally I just love it more and more, can't stop playing. Just started a level 1 run last night.

It's consuming me.

I really hope they still have time for Sekiro DLC even with this project in full development.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't think I had this much fun with an open world action/adventure since Batman Arkham City as I'm having with Sekiro.

While I understand that From's next title is likely to be more of a traditional RPG, I do hope they consider some of the traversal mechanics they've created here for those titles. Character builds and loot aren't incompatible with a fun traversal system-games as far back as Darksiders II did it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
If you think that's the best possible outcome then perhaps you need to think more creatively 👀

Is this previous message of mine creative enough? And/or approximated to the next announcement?

I just hope they adapt posture and deflect mechanics to shield, armor and bigger/slower weapons and make a Dark Souls game with it, plus jumping/better/faster traversal and a new name/ip. And more daylight maps too, less dungeons.
Maybe classes that affect posture stats and traversal speed/weight but just inventory builds, levels and numbers everywhere can fuck off after (having played) Sekiro. :)

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if that crackpot GOT rumor and the game Microsoft is teasing is real, it would be different. At least it wouldn't be called Dark souls 4, but the books definitly have some lovecraft bullshit in there to exploit and enough landmass that the show would never go to.
People would be the most stoked with a multiplayer game since that has longevity going for it,

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet
I wouldn't be surprised if that crackpot GOT rumor and the game Microsoft is teasing is real, it would be different. At least it wouldn't be called Dark souls 4, but the books definitly have some lovecraft bullshit in there to exploit and enough landmass that the show would never go to.
People would be the most stoked with a multiplayer game since that has longevity going for it,

Really ? Which books have lovecraftian things ? I would like to read if they have some. Only watched the show lol.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Really ? Which books have lovecraftian things ? I would like to read if they have some. Only watched the show lol.

The books have a decent amount of mystic lore and some fairly low-key magic/mysticism with the whole "ancient powers are stirring/magic is coming back" vibe, but as of book 5 I don't recall any eldritch monstrosities.

I recently read the first entry in another series, "The Long War" by A. J. Smith. That series (Book 1 is called The Black Guard) has been described as "GRRM meets Cthulhu" and that's a fairly apt description of certain aspects of it.

Back on topic: has FromSoft ever expressed interest in adapting literary licenses before?

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Underwater stuff would really creep me out!
Maybe omni meant what it is that From could have done with the swimming/diving systems in sekiro?
I'm pretty sure some of the traversal systems from sekiro will translate here, maybe not the ones that add too much verticality like climbing or double jump as that seems to be critical to what makes sekiro different
Also dont really see knights jumping or even swimming but maybe here we mostly wear rags and cloth
AHHHHHHHHH eyes on the inside

Dont mind me, just omw to paint a cold, dark and gentle world :)
T6MNEQE.jpg

Last edited:

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling these 2 are hinting at the same idea
What's there that From could have done with past souls titles that will be pressent here?

Battle Royales or always online shared open worlds. Or some other asymmetric seamless anonymous multiplayer shit where we control the bad guys on other people's game. Or it's a fucking fps. Or it's just Dance Dance Souls.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to be
Maybe omni meant what it is that From could have done with the swimming/diving systems in sekiro?
I'm pretty sure some of the traversal systems from sekiro will translate here, maybe not the ones that add too much verticality like climbing or double jump as that seems to be critical to what makes sekiro different
Also dont really see knights jumping or even swimming but maybe here we mostly wear rags and cloth
AHHHHHHHHH eyes on the inside

Dont mind me, just omw to paint a cold, dark and gentle world :)
T6MNEQE.jpg

How amazing would it be if, Fromsoft releases a new patch for DS3, that adds the painting she was working on, teasing the next dark fantasy game through the art...

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I kind of want most of that rumor to be true. This sounds pretty good to me:

– Bandai Namco would publish the game. (Multiplat, which we know is the case)
– Set in a fully open world. (Ambitious, different)
– Visit different kingdoms in any order. (Each kingdom having a unique and distinct setting would be amazing)
– New abilities as a reward to defeat each leader of these kingdoms

I want FROM to write their own stuff cause they do weird shit and that's amazing, keep the licensed properties away. Martin being part of the project would create some headlines for sure but I believe it when I see it. The amount of love for mechs in here is something else, I don't want any of that stuff near this project even though it's part of that studios DNA. Give me grotesque huge monsters not giant robots.

I'm sure they like many other big companies working on multiple projects share a lot of resources with each other so I'm fully expecting ideas and maybe even mechanics from Sekiro make it into this project. If it is truly open world, for the love of god let there be something we can mount.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The companion book that has all that bullshit that is more interesting than the main plot:https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_World_of_Ice_&_Fire
Euron greyjoy basically just wants to resurect an Old God from the sea in the books at least, and the companion book about the history of the world has info about distant continents and lands that are literally named after Lovecraft stuff and really weird nonsense.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
– Visit different kingdoms in any order. (Each kingdom having a unique and distinct setting would be amazing)
It'd be totally new to have areas with various living npcs
Im in for that but would also be cool if these kingdoms are mostly desolate, also more in line with how low population their games are lol

I want FROM to write their own stuff cause they do weird shit and that's amazing, keep the licensed properties away. Martin being part of the project would create some headlines for sure but I believe it when I see it.
Maybe this might be the game where Ty Franck helped writing the lore?? Totally agree with you, they are better off creating their own worlds and IPs but maybe he just helped with fleshing out lore that the guys at From thought of.
The GRRM doesnt make any sense.
The amount of love for mechs in here is something else, I don't want any of that stuff near this project even though it's part of that studios DNA
Think you are safe here, no reason to include mechs when they are already working on an armored core title.
there's space for some light sci fi stuff, not really my thing but im open minded about it. There are some great settings that mix both styles, like Angels Egg or the book of the new sun series

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It'd be totally new to have areas with various living npcs
Im in for that but would also be cool if these kingdoms are mostly desolate, also more in line with how low population their games are lol

Sure, I like the sense of loneliness and mystery in their games. Even though I loved Sekiro, it's environments felt more warm, beautiful and grounded than something that you find in Dark Souls. The dark and gritty feel of Dark Souls is what I prefer.

Maybe this might be the game where Ty Franck helped writing the lore?? Totally agree with you, they are better off creating their own worlds and IPs but maybe he just helped with fleshing out lore that the guys at From thought of.

I'm fine with that and feel a bit relieved that Miyazaki called this project very much a "Fromsoft-esque game".

Think you are safe here, no reason to include mechs when they are already working on an armored core title.

Have like zero interest for mechs and with AC at least I know what I'm getting into, If they aren't creating some kind of souls-mech hybrid.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
My dream From software game right now is a horror-esque arpg in a sci-fi setting. I want to temper my expectations, so I highly doubt they're working anything like that, but maybe someday. I at least hope that From's next arpg is a bit weird and has that mystery element