• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel targeted. I even played through Kuon for the science and was linking images of bloody ropes and item descriptions from the game.

Then came E3 and what looked to be Nioh related. Screen went dark.

FROM SOFTWARE
I thought it was Tomb Raider from the very first scene of the trailer, but as soon as a character appeared (can't remember if it was the Busshi or Kuro that appeared first) I knew it was From. :')

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I thought it was Tomb Raider from the very first scene of the trailer, but as soon as a character appeared (can't remember if it was the Busshi or Kuro that appeared first) I knew it was From. :')

I was still unsure what it was until Wolf woke up and looked at his prosthetic.

"Looks like death is not your faith, just yet..."

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Yeah trailer was hype. I hope we get a similar trailer. FROM's CG trailers are pretty epic but when it comes to new IP I rather see in-engine stuff and gameplay. That is if this is a new IP and not a revival of an old series.
I feel the same. Either way though these last couple weeks before the reveal are getting me so hyped.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
If From has to show us a cg trailer again, I hope they at least reveal gameplay as well

Oct 25, 2017
It would be so weird for the reveal to be CGI if this is the Dark Fantasy RPG. A CGI trailer would look pretty much like a Dark Souls 4 CGI trailer. I have to imagine they'd want to show what's different.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
It could be wildly different where it wouldn't matter or as vague as the Sekiro teaser reveal and speculation just continues on and on and on.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
If From has to show us a cg trailer again, I hope they at least reveal gameplay as well

Perhaps new information has already disproven this, but a Souls YouTuber named Prod made a video a few days ago saying he had been invited by Namco Bandai for some secret event at E3. If that is related to this game, at least some people will be seeing gameplay.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Perhaps new information has already disproven this, but a Souls YouTuber named Prod made a video a few days ago saying he had been invited by Namco Bandai for some secret event at E3. If that is related to this game, at least some people will be seeing gameplay.

I did not know this, dun dunn dunn the plot thickens. Hype!

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
It would be so weird for the reveal to be CGI if this is the Dark Fantasy RPG. A CGI trailer would look pretty much like a Dark Souls 4 CGI trailer. I have to imagine they'd want to show what's different.
That is... if this game is indistinguisible from ds in terms of visuals, which is something we still dont know

I too would preffer to see a trailer similar to sekiro's, I think it was great at setting our characters goal and then quickly jumping to action
However, this game will probably be more about the world/setting and I feel like the best way to introduce us to a new world is via cgi, just like with ds3
Regardless, as some others have mentioned, it's likely some people already got to see actual gameplay, so I wouldnt be surprised if we get CGI trailer and then gameplay video in the weeks after

Oct 25, 2017
That is... if this game is indistinguisible from ds in terms of visuals, which is something we still dont know

I too would preffer to see a trailer similar to sekiro's, I think it was great at setting our characters goal and then quickly jumping to action
However, this game will probably be more about the world/setting and I feel like the best way to introduce us to a new world is via cgi, just like with ds3
Regardless, as some others have mentioned, it's likely some people already got to see actual gameplay, so I wouldnt be surprised if we get CGI trailer and then gameplay video in the weeks after
Right, but the thing is, there's nothing about this:

tumblr_o28r4abrqM1t6xtc8o1_540.gif

that particularly looks "like Dark Souls". It could be a new IP with the exact same CGI trailer, just changing the voice over.

It's when you see Dark Souls III in-game that it looks distinctively like Dark Souls, instead of any other Dark Fantasy ARPG.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Right, but the thing is, there's nothing about this:

tumblr_o28r4abrqM1t6xtc8o1_540.gif

that particularly looks "like Dark Souls". It could be a new IP with the exact same CGI trailer, just changing the voice over.

It's when you see Dark Souls III in-game that it looks distinctively like Dark Souls, instead of any other Dark Fantasy ARPG.
I guess it all comes down to the actual setting. If it's medieval dark fantasy, a CG trailer could easily be something you could relate to DS.

I really hope they nail the setting and hopefully make it something unique. Not that the art direction of a FROM game (the ones I know the best, at least) has ever been less than amazing.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I guess it all comes down to the actual setting. If it's medieval dark fantasy, a CG trailer could easily be something you could relate to DS.

I really hope they nail the setting and hopefully make it something unique. Not that the art direction of a FROM game (the ones I know the best, at least) has ever been less than amazing.
So true. Is their idea of medieval locked into European esthetics or are they looking to examples outside of the knights in shining armor stereotypes?
Oh and isn't supposed to be a "fantasy" game not specifically "medieval"?

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
So true. Is their idea of medieval locked into European esthetics or are they looking to examples outside of the knights in shining armor stereotypes?
Oh and isn't supposed to be a "fantasy" game not specifically "medieval"?
Yeah, man, with Martin here, they could some great things in terms of actual politics, families and the like.

Not that I want an ASOIAF-lite (I'd love if it the game was in that universe, but alas), but having some very fleshed out world with regards to it society and man-made history with lords, ladies, kings, queens and traditional knights could be great, especially if this is a game's world (in terms of playable environment) is opener and bigger than in the past.

And yeah, it's indeed Dark Fantasy, seems like. Although nothing has pointed to medieval (the Norse bit is from a rumour that seems a bit wonky, so yeah).

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a cg trailer is a good idea under any circumstance, for anyone.

If aesthetically/thematically it's different enough to previous games (imagine it's futuristic) I wanna see how it reflects on gameplay, not just cool cgi characters that never appear ingame in a recognizable way.

Plus game graphics have come a long way since dark souls 1-2 even for them, the cgi trailer for Dark 3 was never necessary with the graphics it had. The gameplay reveal trailer for Sekiro was fucking hype (although the shadows die twice cgi teaser was a shit marketing decision imo). I mean, that ugly leaked gameplay trailer for Bloodborne (project beast trailer) was THE HYPE. Bring that on.

Stop cgi trailers. Stop the madness.

Seriously if I'm getting a shit cgi reveal or teaser tell me beforehand because then i'm skipping E3.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Adryuu
Problem is...it's not really up to what we want lol
I think the reason why cg trailers still exist is because they help sell the idea to outsiders, simply because many people equate great graphics + epic music = "ahhh great game"(hell imo there are pretty popular games out now that basically sell themselves on good graphics regardless of boring gameplay)

As it was talked some pages ago, bamco will likely bank harder on this game simply because of the recognition that comes with the grrm name, that probably translates to putting more money on the marketting side and the option of going for cgi trailers.

Again, I think even if we get a cgi trailer, i dont think it'll take long to see gameplay.
Regardless I too would preffer for them to put the money into the actual game developement and instead make a great ingame trailer like they did for sekiro. Maybe the heads @ From agree w us and recognise that cgi trailers arent really needed anymore and that's why we got none for sekiro

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Do people still believe that namco is behind this?

if its true they would be shooting themselves in the foot, they have their new souls game Code vein coming out, it was supose to be their souls substitute, and now they re gonna do marketing for a new from game??

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

if its true they would be shooting themselves in the foot, they have their new souls game Code vein coming out, it was supose to be their souls substitute, and now they re gonna do marketing for a new from game??

1. This could be marketed as not-souls, we don't really know what it is. Maybe a real open world rpg with decisions and souls like combat but not a traditional souls game
2. Code vein is gonna bomb and who doesn't want to distribute the new From soft crown's jewel anyway, they already lost Sekiro to Activision
3. Maybe this was started/contracted with bamco before/just when code vein was starting to take shape

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
1. This could be marketed as not-souls, we don't really know what it is. Maybe a real open world rpg with decisions and souls like combat but not a traditional souls game
2. Code vein is gonna bomb and who doesn't want to distribute the new From soft jewel crown anyway, they already lost Sekiro to Activision

People see from, people see souls alike, there no way around.

Code vein is gonna bomb? you would be surprised how people are thirsty for souls combat, loom at The surge, theres a new one coming out soon, first was a sucess.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
What the fuck is going on with Armored Core?!?!? From, what are ya'll doing?!?!? Lol....
a year ago Omni said AC was in the works but some other games were coming prior to it
He probably meant sekiro and this ARPG
Last year miyazaki also mentioned 2 unannounced games were in development so...
one was this ARPG then the other has to be AC, likely coming 2021

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
People see from, people see souls alike, there no way around.

Code vein is gonna bomb? you would be surprised how people are thirsty for souls combat, loom at The surge, theres a new one coming out soon, first was a sucess.

It's only speculation on my part but I remember previews were not that positive. The surge gets a sequel because, to my understanding, the first one is not really a bad game and got commercial success relative to its development costs, I guess. Anyway if I were bamco and thought code vein wouldn't sell then obviously wouldn't make it so... They just may have thought From would stop making souls, or at least with them, and that they could fill a gap with souls like anime aesthetics, and hell, why not. But then From comes to you with a new game and, even if they negotiate to keep the ip to themselves, you don't simply say no. Because then they go to Activision and you're stuck ONLY with your questionable quality anime souls game.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017

Code Vein was supposed to come out in 2018 and will now release in 2019. This game is probably coming out in 2020. If From came to Namco in like 2016 with a pitch for a GRRM-attached dark fantasy ARPG, you think they'd really say no because of Code Vein?!

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Code Vein was supposed to come out in 2018 and will now release in 2019. This game is probably coming out in 2020. If From came to Namco in like 2016 with a pitch for a GRRM-attached dark fantasy ARPG, you think they'd really say no because of Code Vein?!

the problem is that namco had cut business with from so they promoted and will release code vein, how is that good marketing for their game when they shift the attencion to a from new game?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the problem is that namco had cut business with from so they promoted and will release code vein, how is that good marketing for their game when they shift the attencion to a from new game?
surely the idea is that nobody cares if code vein has good advertising when you have a new Soulskiruneborne to advertise and sell instead? like if code vein fails... who cares?

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017

You're right in a way, it may not be ideal on paper. But there's just no way that Namco could have turned this down. It's like if a movie company planned to release a [insert minor superhero character here] film and then were offered Endgame release rights. Screw the first deal, you gotta say yes.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I dont think code vein will overshadow a fromsoft game in any way, only reason I've seen people excited about it is because of anime tiddies. Gameplay wise, it's like they took the souls formula and tried to add new elements on top without knowing why those elements were good in the first place.
Additionally, seems like they are going through dev hell atm, its like they made a prototype fast enough so they'd have something to show while souls was on a hiatus and then realized it'd take them way more time than they initially thought to complete the rest of the game...I dont believe they've shown anything other than the creatively bankrupt broken city area
if we get yearly Soulskiruneborne games I'll be happy
If you bring DLC into the mix then maybe we'll get something most years, but wouldnt expect them to keep going at this phace...and wouldnt really want them to
it's the same situation that we got in 2014-2016 (ds2-bb-ds3). Only back them they were going through shorter dev cycles and it feels like some games (ds3 specially) suffered because of it
Im happy they took a break cause it seems like all of their games coming out now have been in developement for at least 3 years and you can tell they are way way more polished.
I'd argue this is what their release schedule looks like for the next years
- 2019 - sekiro dlc (1/?)
- 2020 - new dark fantasy arpg + sekiro dlc(2/2??)
- 2021 - armored core + dark fantasy arpg dlc
then I wouldnt mind if they take like a year of two without releasing games in favor of going full dev

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
If it's Bandai Namco, I've read this interesting post on reddit.

Prod who has done a lot of content on Fromsoft games, recently put out This video.

At around 06:00 minutes he mentions that Bandai Namco invited him to participate at an event during E3 (VIP lounge he called it) where he gets the chance to look at some of their games but also unannounced projects.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
If it's Bandai Namco, I've read this interesting post on reddit.

Prod who has done a lot of content on Fromsoft games, recently put out This video.

At around 06:00 minutes he mentions that Bandai Namco invited him to participate at an event during E3 (VIP lounge he called it) where he gets the chance to look at some of their games but also unannounced projects.

Yeah, SteamyPunk mentioned it in post #1,161. If I recall correctly Sekiro was shown behind closed doors to press where Activision/From played the game and the press got to ask questions. They also got to meet and throw questions directly at Miyazaki. Easy Allies mentioned it was in a hotel room where they saw the game in action.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
The thread is slowing down. I don't want it to slow down. Omni, bless us with hype for the "calm before the storm" is dark and full of Sekiro haters.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I would like this to be separate from Dark Souls, but it would be fun if the was some small implication/tease somewhere that it was the same universe

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
I just want to know if Omni's ultra mega hype is based on the game's story or gameplay. I have no interest in the possible GRRM connection, so I hope that's not the most exciting thing about it...

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
I really dislike that name but I think I'd feel the same way about "dark souls" if I knew nothing about the game.
'Bloodborne' wasn't such a great name either. It reminds me of Bloodrayne. Both 'Dark Souls' and 'Bloodborne' are a bit too on-the-nose and inspired by game mechanics. I guess it's just part of the FROM charm that they give mediocre names to excellent games?