• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Don't be an April Fool. Read a book!

Orujv.jpg

Join the ResetEra Goodreads Book Club to track your progress on our monthly read threads.

-----

Previous Book Club Threads:

-----

Support ERA authors:

Explore

Happy reading!

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
81W392q7ClL.jpg

Always a book that's hovered around my recommendations so finally giving it a go. Really pleasant read so far.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still reading Record of a Spaceborn few by Becky Chambers. I'm enjoying it a lot, a lot of the themes of it as always are super relatable and well conveyed. Chambers is genuinely just one of the best authors around atm.
That said I think I like A Closed and Common Orbit more still.

I picked up The City In The Middle of the Night to read next because I enjoyed All the Birds In The Sky while thinking it was pretty flawed and the ending was a bit shit. I'm hoping this time Anders sticks the landing a bit better but I enjoy her writing enough that I don't mind too much if she doesn't.
40793594.jpg

THAT SAID. I've been hearing so much about The Light Brigade that I think I'm actually going to read that next.
40523931.jpg

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu yesterday morning, and man, that may be one of the best books I have ever read.

I am not going to rush into Death's End, going to let the series sit for a bit and read Kafka on the Shore.

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Currently on the final act of Foe by Iain Reid and I think I'm growing a little sour on Iain's style of backloading his stories.
It feels like he spends a good 90% of the book leading you with a few breadcrumbs, just to give you the whole loaf in the final few chapters.

Good in premise, but makes the middle of his books very stodgy. That being said, it has been very intriguing throughout the slow burn, and I'm kinda dying to know how it all plays out.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for making the thread my dude.

Was really feeling like horror yesterday and it came highly recommended, so I started reading Little Star last night and I'm really enjoying it so far. Snappy pacing, delightfully fucked up characters and the curious premise are keeping me very entertained so far, and I really like the fact that all the chapters are super short. You can easily pick it up and read for 5 minutes.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up The City In The Middle of the Night to read next because I enjoyed All the Birds In The Sky while thinking it was pretty flawed and the ending was a bit shit. I'm hoping this time Anders sticks the landing a bit better but I enjoy her writing enough that I don't mind too much if she doesn't.
40793594.jpg

THAT SAID. I've been hearing so much about The Light Brigade that I think I'm actually going to read that next.
40523931.jpg

*nods approvingly*

You're in for a ride. Those are my two favourite books of the year so far.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Currently Reading:

7235533.jpg

Have about 10% left of The Way of Kings. Loving every second of it. Just got particularly shocking turn of events. My jaw dropped and I am officially shook.

39618887.jpg

Have started but haven't gotten far in Un-Sun Kim's The Plotters. Like what I've read but haven't been able to put down Way of Kings since about the half way point.

Deleted member 13550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone, thought this was a good place to ask, but if theres some kind of Book OT lol or something i'd appreciate if you could link me there.

Want to take a break from Berserk and havent enjoyed a regular book in a while, but now that the weathers getting good id like to get something i can read while chillin outside.

Just finished Watch Dogs and i want something that goes in a similar direction, cyber/techno thriller with hackers n stuff.

I know theres a Watch Dogs novel, is it any decent? A lot of the stuff i found was more on the futuristic side which im not that into, but if its a must read i can overlook that too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
ElOdyssey Yeah, I've been looking into my options with House of Leaves and I figured there might be some sort of super fancy Kindle version to retain all the fancy stuff from the original. But apparently not, so I'll have to get the print version

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Currently on the final act of Foe by Iain Reid and I think I'm growing a little sour on Iain's style of backloading his stories.
It feels like he spends a good 90% of the book leading you with a few breadcrumbs, just to give you the whole loaf in the final few chapters.

Good in premise, but makes the middle of his books very stodgy. That being said, it has been very intriguing throughout the slow burn, and I'm kinda dying to know how it all plays out.

I know exactly what you mean. I did feel a lot of stuff all happened at once a little too quickly towards the end of Foe, felt like I was processing an overwhelming amount.

Still enjoyed the book though, and I'm looking forward to reading other people's thoughts on it.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still going through my ASOIAF reread. Started A Clash of Kings. AGOT is still as great as i remembered. I like meandering Martin as well but there's something to be said about how tight and focused Thrones is compared to everything that comes after. Not a chapter is wasted or superfluous.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Still going through my ASOIAF reread. Started A Clash of Kings. AGOT is still as great as i remembered. I like meandering Martin as well but there's something to be said about how tight and focused Thrones is compared to everything that comes after. Not a chapter is wasted or superfluous.

To be honest the first three books are super tight. Its only after a storm of swords that the bloat comes thick and fast.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Recently finished:

51idRPZ8dcL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A Little History of Economics by Niall Kishtainy—This was a fun, comprehensive, and easily digestible history of modern economics. Rather than just being a straight history of the subject, Kishtainy approaches economics from the perspective of how it was influenced by and affected the world. He's harsh on capitalism (which is a stance I'm sympathetic towards), and I found myself appreciating and better understanding how much of economic theory is just men (it's almost always men) theorizing subjectively about economics and how it could better fit their world view. Highly recommended for any newcomers to the subject.

the-light-brigade-9781481447966_lg.jpg

The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley—An amazing, cutting take on the classic Military SF formula first popularized by Heinlein and Haldeman. Like Kishtainy above, Hurley's very critical of capitalism, and she explores the way late-stage capitalism melds into feudalism and the way war is used as an economic weapon.

Now reading:

A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay—I've just started, but the opening chapter is up there with Kay's best. His work is always lyrical, but here it's undercut by a sort of melancholic menace that has me immediately sucked into the world.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
codlajsu.jpg

I'll be reading this all month. And I'm really enjoying it. I think this series is getting better for each book I read.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Finished American Prison by Shane Bauer. Good read. Although, not much new info.

Not sure what to tackle next? I started reading Start with Why by Simon Sinek but realized that it was a retread of his Ted talk.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You are reading your way through my high school years. Wish I could read them again for the first time. Toss the Belgariad in there too.
I know right! I'm actually reading these books specifically cause I was at a mental road block with reading. I read dragons of autumn twilight cause I had finished that in high school and thought if I read something "easy" it would jump start my appreciation for reading.

Dragons of autumn twilight.... Oh man some times you shouldn't go back. I actually have the belgariad volume one sitting on my coffee table from the library and I'm hesitant to open it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Currently Reading:

7235533.jpg

Have about 10% left of The Way of Kings. Loving every second of it. Just got particularly shocking turn of events. My jaw dropped and I am officially shook.

Holy shit! The last quarter or so of this book does not fucking stop. Revelation after revelation. I didn't expect to get answers to half this stuff for multiple books, and you just throw it out in the first book?! How long is this series supposed to be?

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit! The last quarter or so of this book does not fucking stop. Revelation after revelation. I didn't expect to get answers to half this stuff for multiple books, and you just throw it out in the first book?! How long is this series supposed to be?

Ten books. He said he's going to take break from the series for a while after book 5.

Last edited:

kingofrod

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Song of Kali by Dan Simmons - pretty scary book, albeit with some pretty damning descriptions of Calcutta. I've only read Summer of Night by this author, and I have to say Song of Kali was much better, as SoN felt like a lesser version of Stephen King's It (still a good book though).

song+of+kali+dan+simmons+tor+horror+paperback+Nov+1986.JPG

Halfway through In the River from Jeremy Robert Johnson - this one feels like a strong current pulling you along, and I have a feeling the ending is going to be end up being a huge mindfreak.
812WMPVN2xL.jpg

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I am very slowly making my way through Caleb Carr's The Italian Secretary.

It's not a very difficult or uninteresting read, I just don't make a lot of time for reading at the moment.

My current non-fiction read is Elizabeth Sandifer's Neoreaction, A Basilisk.

51ukDoVCAwL.jpg

So far it is... hmm... I can't say that I am enjoying it because of how bleak it is in its appraisal of our current moment, but the wry tone and general irreverence keep me going.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Ten books. He said he's going to take break from the series for a while after book 5.

Actually thought it was more than that for some reason. Either way I'm surprised the amount of stuff that gets answered just at the end of book 1 alone. But if it's anything like his other series I'm sure it will just be more layers added upon the revelations as it goes along.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Actually thought it was more than that for some reason. Either way I'm surprised the amount of stuff that gets answered just at the end of book 1 alone. But if it's anything like his other series I'm sure it will just be more layers added upon the revelations as it goes along.

Yeah. This is going to be a fantastic ride.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Plugging away at Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell. I'm enjoying it, but not as much as I was hoping I would.

23507810.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
vI4P7XW.jpg

Almost done with it, loving it. Very eventful book but I guess it has to be seeing as it's the penultimate to the series.

I do wish that Holden would've been a POV character, though. At least aside from that one chapter.

It's understandable why he's not features in this book but I miss him and it's a big highlight whenever he shows up.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
All of y'all talking about A Way of Kings makes me want to read that next. I recently bought it but I didn't wanna get right into that just yet since it's so meaty but I am in a fantasy mood right now.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
It's always sort of a bummer to read people give glowing impressions of the Stormlight Archives books cause man, I could not care less about the whole Cosmere thing if I tried lol. It kind of ruins them and the newer Mistborn books for me, tbh.

Anyway. Continued reading Little Star well over midnight again yesterday.

12492241.jpg

(Not reading the Finnish translated one that's pictured above, I just love the cover)

Enjoying it even more so far. Almost done with the second part ("The Other Girl") and I'm sort of getting Oyasumi Punpun vibes from this. It's not really similar in any way, just that I guess I don't read a lot of fiction with a big focus on sad children lol. And I loved Punpun. If this keeps up, I'll probably pick up more Lindqvist's books in the near future.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017

Story gets better. Although I had no issues, some* readers had Issues with how Sanderson handled a certain character.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, was reading Record of a Spaceborn Few on the way into work this morning and
Sawyer's death caught me completely off guard. It was so unceremonious and instant. I was wondering where she was going with that character and I guess I now know. At least he'll finally be part of the fleet like he wanted to be :'(

Oct 29, 2017
Was going to buy "The Light Brigade" for my Kindle before realising it doesn't have an audiobook to go with it. That's a pretty big deal for me as I get lots of my reading/listening done on my lunch walks etc.

I've tweeted Kameron Hurley to ask if an audiobook is coming but given there isn't one yet I don't hold hope there'll be one anytime soon.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to buy "The Light Brigade" for my Kindle before realising it doesn't have an audiobook to go with it. That's a pretty big deal for me as I get lots of my reading/listening done on my lunch walks etc.

I've tweeted Kameron Hurley to ask if an audiobook is coming but given there isn't one yet I don't hold hope there'll be one anytime soon.

The audiobook is available on Audible (at least in North America.) What region are you in?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Europe (UK to be more accurate). Nothing on Audible here.

The Light Brigade has a different publisher in the UK (Angry Robot Books instead of Saga Press), so there might be a rights issue holding up the release of the book over seas. At least the recording exists, so it should eventually come out.