• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
I have been on bit of a crime/mystery binge recently, started the Ian Rankin 'Rebius' books late November, liking continuity when I am reading a series so I'm also reading the spin off 'Malcom Fox' series. Finished the 19th Rebus book to discover there is a Rebus vs. Crossover, I know I could have just read the short story without reading the Roy Grace books but the previous vs. crossover books but I can't help myself. So now I'm about a third of the way through the Peter James 'Roy Grace' series, should see me through March.

After I have finished the Rebus, Fox and Grace series' there are a few books that have been released over the last few month's for other series'. Simon R. Greens 'Murder in the Dark, Louise Penny's 'Kingdom of the Blind', Elly Griffiths 'The Stone Circle' and 'Through Fiery Trials'. Can't wait to read about the various adventures of Chief Inspector Gamache, Dr Ruth Galloway, Nimue Alban and Ishmael Jones.

After that I think I'm going to do a bit of rereading, the Culture books have been mentioned an awful lot on Era the last month or so which keep reminding me how much I loved them. Diskworld is another series I think I will enjoy again, while quite a few books I have read over the years have had their laugh out loud moments, I recall the Diskworld books either having me laughing or a massive grin on my face throughout.

I read both of those series' in 2013 so while I have fond memories of reading them the details are pretty vague, a read of a books description and snippets will no doubt flash through my mind but I've forgotten enough to enjoy them at least as much as the first time through. Probably even pick up on subtle things missed first time.

I suppose a bit of rereading will give authors time to finish books for other series' I'm invested in as well šŸ˜‚

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading the second book that had just released around 2011 lol, I'm pretty sure the estimate then was 2013 XD,

I hope it comes out then, but tbh Patrick is one of those authors that is done when he's done, so I'm not really going to hold my breath until it's actually out. Makes it easier to wait that way lol.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
On vacation so I decided to tackle to Egan's newest book, Manhattan Beach. Not as amazing as Goon's but I'm loving it nevertheless!

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett.

Wow, this is so much more enjoyable than Pyramids imo.

The humour is spot on and the pacing seems perfect so far.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I thought I was in the movie thread, never mind then.

I read To The Lighthouse. I mostly enjoyed, especially the 2nd and 3rd part, though I found it a bit hard to follow at times. It was definitely written incredibly well though.

Last edited:

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Murakami

This is my first Murakami and I am about 240 pages in. I'm enjoying the two alternating stories, good way to get you hooked because as you finish one chapter, you want to read ahead to get back to the other story, and vice versa. The female characters in this seem, err, odd.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
FRom another thread about world ships, i got the idea of the Culture Universe books by Ian Banks.
Now , quick quetstion about where to start ?
Books get mixed results , especially the first one .

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
FRom another thread about world ships, i got the idea of the Culture Universe books by Ian Banks.
Now , quick quetstion about where to start ?
Books get mixed results , especially the first one .
Player of Games since the start of the book takes place within Culture Society and then back to Consider Phlebas if you enjoyed it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have been reading The World of Ice and Fire to get myself hyped for the final season of Game of Thrones. I am really enjoying the insight into the history of Westeros. I hope the prequels touch into some of this. I hope to get to the Dunk and Egg stories and some of Fire and Blood the season airs.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
About halfway through Abbadon's Gate, it felt like it started out kind of slow but holy hell does it go places. Glad it kind of goes back to a bit of the body horror of the first book. Really liking it so far.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
Player of Games since the start of the book takes place within Culture Society and then back to Consider Phlebas if you enjoyed it.

That's what I recommend too, though there's no real "Required" reading order. I would advise that Consider Phlebas be read before Excession and Look to Windward, and that The Hydrogen Sonata, which is the last one published, be saved for last. With the unfortunate death of Banks I think Hydrogen Sonata is the perfect bittersweet note to end the series on.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started up Wizard and Glass. 5 chapters in i'm already in love with this. Very strong start.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
51iEYVz4iDL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reading this, after it was recommended to me.

It's interesting, but it jumps around a lot and that can make it hard to follow at times.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
vAYVdt9.jpg

11 chapters into it but I already feel like I'm liking this more than the first. The writing feels way better, the dialogue is honestly really great and a shit ton of stuff has happened in only a few chapters. I liked the first a good bit, enough to get the second book, but this already feels like it's soo much better.
Finally received my paperback edition of Dune. Can't wait to continue my read.
Dune is something I've wanted to read for a long time but it's really pricey with how many books there are. Also, the time commitment is insane.

Also also, it seems like not all the books have those fancy editions so I'd end up getting a mix of different editions which kinda feels icky.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Sufficiently Advanced Magic book 1

It's pretty decent, main character is kind of a weenie right now but I'm sure he'll grow up a bit. Good book so far.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Dune is something I've wanted to read for a long time but it's really pricey with how many books there are. Also, the time commitment is insane.

Also also, it seems like not all the books have those fancy editions so I'd end up getting a mix of different editions which kinda feels icky.
Yeah, you gonna have to pay up if you want multiple editions. I'm not a collector myself, so I just paid the $15 up front for the paperback edition and I think that's all I'll read till the movie comes out. Then after I can start the sequels.

I also just finished Book One in Dune this instant. Holy shit at some of these revelations, and things some of these characters can do. Poor Paul too and all this power residing in his mind. Book has been awesome so far.

Gonna start up Book Two: Muad'dib tomorrow.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I recommend too, though there's no real "Required" reading order. I would advise that Consider Phlebas be read before Excession and Look to Windward, and that The Hydrogen Sonata, which is the last one published, be saved for last. With the unfortunate death of Banks I think Hydrogen Sonata is the perfect bittersweet note to end the series on.

I know many people suggest Player of Games over Consider Phlebas as a starting point it's never been something I agreed with, I think it ended up making me enjoy the other books more.
I went into the culture only knowing it was considered one of the best sci-fi series, I think reading Consider Phlebas first gives you good outside perspective on the Culture from people on the other side of the war they are in. As a result when I read the subsequent books written from the view as characters in the culture in the back of my mind I was always thinking of the effects of the cultures actions from the point of view of those on the receiving end.

Agree with Hydrogen Sonata as the book to finish on. It will always be a book I will remember fondly, I finished the book the morning his death was announced. I normally jump onto the next book the moment I finished the last. I knew I had finished the last culture book but there were a couple of stand alone scifi books I hadn't read, popped his name into Google to load up his wiki only to see his death was the top result, was gutted. Banks, Terry Pratchett and Ric Mayall are the only deaths by people I don't actually know where finding out about their death left that hollow gut punch of a feeling you get when you get similar news about someone you know, with Banks though and the theme of Hydrogen Sonata still strong in my mind the effect of reading about his death, the same hollow feeling but then a smile as I imagined him subliming to the next level of existence.

RedFyn

Oct 25, 2017
vAYVdt9.jpg

11 chapters into it but I already feel like I'm liking this more than the first. The writing feels way better, the dialogue is honestly really great and a shit ton of stuff has happened in only a few chapters. I liked the first a good bit, enough to get the second book, but this already feels like it's soo much better.
Yeah, the series really picks up after the first book. The writing and characters improve and the scope greatly expands. And maybe it was just me but I found the constant helldiver references in the first book to be way overused and I was happy to see Brown cut down on that.

I also liked how the story picked up right where it left off rather than with a time jump/scene change. I just started the fourth book and it begins with a time jump that is understandable but a little annoying after following the characters every step of the way previously.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Mass Effect: Annihilation. A big disappointment.

thomaser

Nov 26, 2017
Just finished "Orientekspressen" by TorbjĆørn FƦrĆøvik. He's my favourite travel author, and most of his books deal with China. This, however, is an account of his trip with the Orient Express from London to Istanbul, and further on with other trains to Samarkand. Only in Norwegian, which is a shame as he's really damn good.

venushar.jpg

Started "Maidenhair" by Mikhail Shishkin, in the Norwegian translation. He's an exiled Russian author now living in Switzerland, and I heard a rave review about this book on the radio some years back. It's one of those modern, superambitious novels. Partly about a guy working as an interpreter in an immigration office in Switzerland, trying to decide whether asylum seekers tell the truth or not, partly about his childhood in Russia, about his relationship with his wife, about a biography of a singer he's been unable to finish, about Xenophon's accounts of ancient Persia, and so on and so on. Time will tell how it all hangs together.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am reading The Fork, the Witch, and the Worm which is a collection of 3 stories set in the Eragon universe. I am enjoying the stories, The final one is definitely the best, I should finish it today.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Abaddon's Gate. Felt like it had a really slow start and a really slow end but the middle 50-60 % was gripping as hell. I think it may be my least favorite of the three books so far, but that's mostly only because it didn't keep me gripped all the way through.

On a side note I feel like these books keep ending on a bait and switch kind of mood. Book 1-3 spoilers for The Expanse:
It feels to me like they keep promising the idea of aliens and big crazy expanded scope of the world but then it just becomes another political clash for the most part. A zombie like virus takes over a ship and basically becomes sentient and lands on a planet: next book it's just chillin' on the planet. Next a giant octopus like symbiotic rises out of the planet destroys tons of ships in an instant and flies off in to the distance, While Miller shows up and says "We need to talk": next book the octopus turned in to a ring that leads to basically a dimension bubble and becomes the landscape of another political fight. While Miller is basically a computer that happens to trust Holden.

Next we have all the gates opening up to undiscovered land with the threat looming over of some huge universe destroyer. I'm guessing the next book will just talk about the exploring of those systems vaguely in the background as some other political fight happens again.

I like the political fights and the battles that take place because of it and I like these characters that we get to follow throughout, don't get me wrong, but I feel like you can only go so long by keep hinting and propping your endings on these big things only to fall back on the same thing over and over again.

Deleted member 18535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Hole: A Novel by Hye-young Pyun, only two chapters in but so far its excellent. I don't think I've ever felt this much dread reading a book before.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1511235751019411087%253Faccount_id%253D0

I have no idea why, but I decided to read every Jack Reacher novel back in September, and I just finished the latest one (Past Tense) a few minutes ago.

Including a short story collection and some insane, navel-gazing, making of book called Reacher Sad Nothing, it comes out to 25 books. A few were very good (Worth Dying For is tied with Dennis Lehane's Darkness Take My Hand for my favorite thriller novel now), two were godawful, and most of them were alright. They were all very easy to read, so my Goodreads reading challenge stats are nicely padded now.

I have no idea what I'm going to read now. I've been accumulating books in a pile while I worked through the series (I took a break from Reacher to read We Have Always Lived in The Castle back at the beginning of January, but other than that it's been nothing but Reacher), so I'll probably just pick one at random.

EDIT: I have to throw this in, because it blows my mind. In Reacher Said Nothing Lee Child goes on record as saying that he has no idea where his books are going to end up when he starts writing them. He writes largely in sequence (he also says in the book that he only ever does one draft, but it seems like he does a lot of intermittent editing as he works) and never makes an outline or plan or anything. That's insane to me, but it also kind of explains why half the books have really mediocre climaxes, or reveals that just don't make a lot of sense. Some of the conclusions Jack jumps to during the parlor scenes are poorly conceived, but I guess that's what happens when you don't have the benefit of seeding breadcrumbs for a known conclusion while you write.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ara

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Month and a half into 2019 and I have barely read anything, so I decided to shape up last night and started reading Foundryside.

I still have no idea what to expect considering how much I loved the first Divine Cities book and hated the second one, but I'm intrigued so far. For some reason the main character just straight up smashing a rat's head with her fist in the beginning made me laugh. The scriving stuff is pretty funny too - the mental image of a carriage moving by itself because its wheels are convinced they're going downhill is pretty hilarious.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read anything either - this is actually my first post in this month's thread! I've had a new job and the book I was reading was fairly dry, so I'm going to do a couple of quick ones this week as I'm on holiday to get back into the swing of things!

Finished:

Conscientious Objection: Bertrand Russell and the Pacifists in the First World War

last night. It's fairly good but as it's more of an academic work than anything else, can be fairly matter of fact. It feels like there's a really interesting novel trying to get out with how the Conscientious Objectors were treated during WWI but a lot of it is taken up with descriptions of their meetings, instead of how they were treated by the public and the government during the war.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
I know many people suggest Player of Games over Consider Phlebas as a starting point it's never been something I agreed with, I think it ended up making me enjoy the other books more. [...]

I'll see how i start. I already got the ebook for player of Games. But maybe until i start , i 'll get the Phlebas as well

Finished Abaddon's Gate. Felt like it had a really slow start and a really slow end but the middle 50-60 % was gripping as hell. I think it may be my least favorite of the three books so far, but that's mostly only because it didn't keep me gripped all the way through.
[...]
I like the political fights and the battles that take place because of it and I like these characters that we get to follow throughout, don't get me wrong, but I feel like you can only go so long by keep hinting and propping your endings on these big things only to fall back on the same thing over and over again.

I just yesterday watched season 3 and I must admit that they actually improved the source material with the scene to scene intense dramatic and the slow start and ending are not really visible. Maybe due to the fact that the end the season in between books. I am now at the same point in the story as you and I think I will switch to the book from vatta's war once I finished the tv series. But I always read them one at a time. Then i get fed up with the same script of politics vs. aliens script as you described it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Dune. Haven't read it since high school and never anything more than the first book in the series so I think a full read will be fun. Buckling myself in for a ride.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Dune. Haven't read it since high school and never anything more than the first book in the series so I think a full read will be fun. Buckling myself in for a ride.
Can't wait to read your impressions along the way.

I'm thinking of creating a thread for first-time Dune readers (any Dune readers really), should I do it?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
As it turns out, The Wiseman's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles #2) is a really long book. I'm at 52% read after about half a month of pretty steady reading. Kvothe just made his stupidest unforced error yet. I think my main issue with the series is just the portrayal of Kvothe. About ninety-percent of the time he is this seemingly brilliant Mary Sue character that can do no wrong, then the other ten-percent of the time he just does something stupid... almost on purpose, just to add adversity. His faults never feel earned.

I'm still enjoying this more than the first book, the world building has been piecemeal but I like connecting everything and creating a map of it in my head. I wish the story wasn't quite so Kvothe centered, but the framing makes it hard to break away from him even for a brief respite.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Two things at the moment.

Reading this:
1142264.jpg

It's 300 pages and I'm over 2/3rds done. The first couple of chapters are excellent. The last 3 or so have been serviceable though not spectacular.

Listening to this:
51Y9A3aQZxL._SL500_.jpg

I honestly don't know much about MLK, so decided to pick this up as an Audible Deal of the Day. A few hours into it now, and it's very illuminating. Basically a collection of select MLK speeches and writings read by contemporary black celebrities. Really enjoying it and can already see myself coming back to it time and again. His approach to learning mimics my own. Loved the breakdown of how he came to non-violence as his major philosophical approach, and how he agreed with some aspects of communism, but not the aspects that reduce the individual to his resources and worth to the state, and with no place for god.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Nothing right now but I just finished Brave New World (took me forever to get around to it)

It was really bad. It has some interesting ideas and concepts but wow the characters are not interesting and the plot is so dull and uneventful. Also, the constant Shakespeare drove me crazy and I just don't like the authors way of writing.

I only read it because everyone says it's better than 1984 but it's really not. Orwell > Huxley.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
41qUX6RslWL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished Borne by Jeff VanderMeer, author of Annihilation/The Southern Reach Trilogy.

Overall I really fucking loved it. The concept is ridiculous and there's a lot of pieces that are just so bizarre, but it all works together so well when you're getting into it. Going to read his short story that's connected next.

Anyone reading Black Leopard Red Wolf? I'm like 50 pages in and really contemplating just putting it down.

What's your issue with it? I was going to actually possibly pick this up next based on good word of mouth/reviews.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to read your impressions along the way.

I'm thinking of creating a thread for first-time Dune readers (any Dune readers really), should I do it?

I for one would appreciate it. I'm going through the Dark Tower but will be starting Dune afterwards, later this year. A thread like that would be pretty cool to have.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I was pulled back into the productivity genre... usually I hate/love this genre. Anyway I recommend Chris Bailey's Productivity Project. It's well written and doesn't feel too long.

I am now reading Atomic Habits and I am exactly halfway through. Very good though I don't need to stop or start habits at the moment, mostly reading it to follow a podcast that will discuss it in the future.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Only like 10% into The Blade Itself and I'm shocked at how much I'm instantly loving it. Immediately having multiple characters with completely different personalities being recognizable without being over the top. Excited to keep reading.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Just finished Never Let Me Go. I really like Ishiguro's writing, I'll definitely check out his other works I'm still missing.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I have a goal of 26 books in 2019, but I am already behind due to work and running in my free time. So far I've read...

The Short-Timers by Gustav Hasford. I first read this back in the early 90's after I joined the Marines. The book is quiet excellent and of course the movie based on it is too. I had to read a pdf version I found online, due to high cost of buying this out of print book. Link to pdf below (it is a pretty fast read).

JjSlPLV.jpg

https://wrathoftheawakenedsaxon.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/theshorttimers.pdf

Corpsepaint by David Peak. You like black metal? What about Lovecraftian horror? Well do I have a book for you. To be clear while I am fascinated by the black metal scene (blame Lords of Chaos), overall I am not that big of a fan. Still I enjoyed the book.

r672LLi.jpg

Currently reading...

WemBZvq.jpg

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Only like 10% into The Blade Itself and I'm shocked at how much I'm instantly loving it. Immediately having multiple characters with completely different personalities being recognizable without being over the top. Excited to keep reading.

I read it recently and I was also very impressed by it. I haven't gotten around to the rest of the series yet though.

I really enjoyed how well described the scenes and the geography are.

Also I don't know why but I couldn't help but picture Geoffrey Rush in the first Pirates as Glokta.

Last edited:

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gave up on The Devil Crept In by Ania Ahlborn after around 50 pages. It was just too cliche and boring and my backlog is too vast to waste on something I'm really not enjoying. Instead I'm going with Zero World by Jason M. Hough.

23995290.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.