• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Make "What Are You Reading" a permanent, single OT?

• Yes

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
51GNKL%2B-o2L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

this book is SO good. Like insanely good. About to dive into book 2 of the trilogy. I don't think I've read better grimdark fantasy. Can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it.

I got this on my "next up" list, I've heard really, really good things about it. Really cool dark fantasy set in an african-inspired setting

9780316489768-1.jpg

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I have just finished 'Tiamat's Wrath' so that is me up to date with "The Expanse" book series. I am looking to find another book series that will really grab me so your suggestions would be most welcome. I adore the "Old Man's War" series and am also very fond of the "Forever War" series but it does not have to be science fiction; it might be a good idea to broaden my genre horizons. Ideally, it should be an easy reading page-turner that is character-based like the aforementioned OMW series. Is there anything in the Thriller or Detective Fiction genres that would fit my requirements? What about Stephen King? Does he write anything that is not horror? (I have to be careful with horror and violence in media as a little of it can go a very long way with me).

I suspect the following are likely to be recommended:
  • The "Foundation" series - I find Asimov to be a bit too clinical for my tastes. Not in the mood for that right now.
  • THHGTTG series - read and re-read before. Looking for something new.
  • Ender's Game series - enjoyed them up to and including the third novel. Started the fourth and just couldn't connect with it. I might try again one day.
  • The Lord of the Rings - read and re-read multiple times. Also, I find it a tough, oppressive read and that's not what I'm looking for right now.
  • Harry Potter - listened to the audiobooks multiple times. Looking for something new.
  • Dragonriders of Pern series - I tried to read the first one but found the writing to be so awful it made me angry.
Possibles:

• The Dune series - I tried the first novel once but didn't like the writing style. That was many years ago though so perhaps it's time to try again.
  • The Ringworld series - I loved Halo CE so I might enjoy this?
  • A Song of Ice and Fire series - I have never seen an episode of GOT. Yes really.
  • The Wheel of Time series - not a huge fantasy fan but there is a lot to dig into there so this might be worth a try?
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series - I have not seen the movies but it has a big pussycat in it so that's an immediate win. I do not consider myself a Christian but then nor am I a fundamentalist atheist so I don't think the Christian themes would bother me.
  • The Dark Tower series - it's not straight-up horror so I might be able to stomach this. King is a fine writer so this is a definite possibility.
RSVP

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Has anyone read All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr? Read it in October & was very impressed.

Amroth

Oct 27, 2017
I have just finished 'Tiamat's Wrath' so that is me up to date with "The Expanse" book series. I am looking to find another book series that will really grab me so your suggestions would be most welcome. I adore the "Old Man's War" series and am also very fond of the "Forever War" series but it does not have to be science fiction; it might be a good idea to broaden my genre horizons. Ideally, it should be an easy reading page-turner that is character-based like the aforementioned OMW series. Is there anything in the Thriller or Detective Fiction genres that would fit my requirements? What about Stephen King? Does he write anything that is not horror? (I have to be careful with horror and violence in media as a little of it can go a very long way with me)

I've been reading a lot of Lois McMaster Bujold's books this year, and would recommend both her Vorkosigan series (SF, 16 books) and her World of the Five Gods series (fantasy, 3 books). Both of those series really grabbed me, particularly because of their brilliantly portrayed characters. The Vorkosigan series starts with Shards of Honour, and The World of the Five Gods with The Curse of Chalion. Of your possibilities, The Wheel of Time books are mostly good to excellent - when I read most of them 15 years ago, I devoured them. Great magic system and world-building, good (mostly) characters, lots of awesome moments.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I have just finished 'Tiamat's Wrath' so that is me up to date with "The Expanse" book series. I am looking to find another book series that will really grab me so your suggestions would be most welcome. I adore the "Old Man's War" series and am also very fond of the "Forever War" series but it does not have to be science fiction; it might be a good idea to broaden my genre horizons. Ideally, it should be an easy reading page-turner that is character-based like the aforementioned OMW series. Is there anything in the Thriller or Detective Fiction genres that would fit my requirements? What about Stephen King? Does he write anything that is not horror? (I have to be careful with horror and violence in media as a little of it can go a very long way with me).

• The "Foundation" series - I find Asimov to be a bit too clinical for my tastes. Not in the mood for that right now.
  • Ender's Game series - enjoyed them up to and including the third novel. Started the fourth and just couldn't connect with it. I might try again one day.
  • The Lord of the Rings - read and re-read multiple times. Also, I find it a tough, oppressive read and that's not what I'm looking for right now.
  • Harry Potter - listened to the audiobooks multiple times. Looking for something new.
  • Dragonriders of Pern series - I tried to read the first one but found the writing to be so awful it made me angry.
Possibles:

• The Dune series - I tried the first novel once but didn't like the writing style. That was many years ago though so perhaps it's time to try again.
  • A Song of Ice and Fire series - I have never seen an episode of GOT. Yes really.
  • The Wheel of Time series - not a huge fantasy fan but there is a lot to dig into there so this might be worth a try?
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series - I have not seen the movies but it has a big pussycat in it so that's an immediate win. I do not consider myself a Christian but then nor am I a fundamentalist atheist so I don't think the Christian themes would bother me.
  • The Dark Tower series - it's not straight-up horror so I might be able to stomach this. King is a fine writer so this is a definite possibility.
RSVP

The 3 Body Problem (and trilogy)(science driven and not great with characters but epic as fuck and they have their moments)
Joe Abercrombie stuff(awesome characters)
Annihilation trilogy by Vandermeer is great but short, and somewhere between the above
The Culture series ?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
51b5YG6Y1rL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Should finish this up by the weekend. At times I feel like I'm not really enjoying things. And then I find myself sitting in a place where I can't readily read this and wondering what will happen next and where the plot is going. So I'd say that I really am enjoying it.

9780241373330.jpg

About two thirds of the way through this one. Started it right after finishing volume 1. Finally got around to that due to the show. Love the characters and love the world but I'm not sure how to feel about this yet. I remember fondly the original trilogy and the wonder I felt reading that. This is good but I just feel like a little something is missing. There was an undeniable charm to the first trilogy that I feel is just a bit off in these. It almost feels like the price you pay for growing up and not being a kid anymore is for me what makes this just less fun than the original three.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

Possibles:

RSVP
I'd agree with posters saying Joe Abercrombie. His stuff is amazing. He's my favorite fantasy author today. His series can get a little grimdark but he's found a bigger sense of humor as time has gone on and the characterization is second to none

I wholly disagree with the three body problem or annihilation trilogy. They seem like they'd be too dry based on your preferred styles. King can work and the dark tower series, while occasionally violent, isn't super over the top and the horror aspects only rarely rear their head. I'd put in a strong suggestions for the works of Peter F Hamilton. His Commonwealth series is great popcorn space opera stuff and there's at least six books set in the universe. Honestly hes one of my favorite sci-fi authors working today and I don't feel like people mention him enough.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Amroth P-MAC Captjohnboyd

Thank you all for your input; it is much appreciated. I shall certainly try all of what you suggest even those that may not fit my stated criteria. They might have to wait for awhile though because after all my googling and your suggestions I have a nicely sized bookmark folder of books to try. I have some thriller, detective, mystery and spy novels in there too so those will make a nice change of pace for me. One of the suggestions courtesy of my googling is "The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin.

619UGpWJ%2BxL.jpg

I read the Prologue in bed last night and am not sure about it yet. The writing is easy enough to read but I have to wonder if the author is trying a bit too hard to write 'like a writer writes'. The style might grow on me however so I'll give it a chance. It's certainly an odd premise but it's too early for me to tell if I find it intriguing or irritating. It has not been discarded immediately which can happen with me as I can be very intolerant of what I consider to be bad writing so there's that at least.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017

Possibles:

RSVP

I'll second the recommendation for the Vorkosigan series. It's some of the finest character-based scifi around. I'll add in a recommendation for the Clocktaur War duology by T Kingfisher, which I finished this year and thought it was fantastic. Finally, I'll add the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny (start with Still Life) for some fantastic mystery fiction that also has very strong character work.

Last edited:

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Finishing up this imp:

27276256.jpg

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

In time for the coming Kaufman movie after starting on it MONTHS ago.

Anyone give this a gander? It's sleek, it ramps, so far, it feels like a hazy, potentially smug, probably rich skin crawler.
I really liked this one! Check out his most recent novel, Foe.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you all for your input; it is much appreciated. I shall certainly try all of what you suggest even those that may not fit my stated criteria. They might have to wait for awhile though because after all my googling and your suggestions I have a nicely sized bookmark folder of books to try. I have some thriller, detective, mystery and spy novels in there too so those will make a nice change of pace for me. One of the suggestions courtesy of my googling is "The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin.

619UGpWJ%2BxL.jpg

I read the Prologue in bed last night and am not sure about it yet. The writing is easy enough to read but I have to wonder if the author is trying a bit too hard to write 'like a writer writes'. The style might grow on me however so I'll give it a chance. It's certainly an odd premise but it's too early for me to tell if I find it intriguing or irritating. It has not been discarded immediately which can happen with me as I can be very intolerant of what I consider to be bad writing so there's that at least.
NK Jemisin is well known for being one of the few black female authors working in sci-fi and fantasy and it comes through in her writing. She's a refreshing voice in the genre and I enjoyed the series quite a bit for it's unique perspective and take on standard genre tropes. If you decide to go with it I hope you enjoy!

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Paradiso - Dante

81rOVS-20mL._SX466_.jpg

This is a struggle compared to the first two canticles. Heaven, the cosmos, and the souls of the dead are all represented solely through light and metaphors about light. There is nothing tangible to cling to except Dante's increasingly obscure recollections of mythology and Italian history, as if he is finally beginning to exhaust his encyclopedic medieval learning. The poetry is still beautiful, but I'm getting lost in the sauce.

Use of Weapons - Iain Banks

51RHThKGOEL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Another assault on my brain powers, though of a lesser degree. The sheer vastness of the Culture series is always a little confounding, and here Banks further disorients me by relating the narrative non-linearly (or non-chronologically? I can't tell which). I think I prefer the directness and clarity of Player of Games.
Use of weapons was my favorite culture series books. Really great!

I've read 58 books this year, pretty pumped about it!

Right now I am reading:
9781480423886_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

Which is amazing. I know there is a move, but the prose in this book are so good, I don't really see the movie being much better.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
RSVP

Dark Tower is not horror and my favorite series from King (and i have read them all). 11/22/63 was good as well.

619UGpWJ%2BxL.jpg

I read the entire series and it was ok. I don't get the rave reviews, but it was decent world and character building. Would recommend if you had nothing else to read, but there is much better fantasy/sci-fi out there.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always interested in giving more imaginative fantasy a try, but unfortunately only got like a third into The Fifth Season before dropping it. Just didn't click, I guess.

That said, maybe I should look for a new, somewhat out of the ordinary fantasy book to read. Maybe The Gutter Prayer. I don't actually know how ordinary or out of the ordinary that one is, but I remember it getting praised by people here and I already own it, so.

Oct 30, 2017
I finished "Blood of Elves" (#3 of the Witcher books) and honestly, I don't think I like these books. Having played the games is what got me this far but I think I'm done with this series. Other fantasy books are just so much better imo. It could be because of the translation but alas that's all I can read.

Yesterday I bought "This Is How You Lose the Time War" and it's the second book after "Bridge of Birds" where I read a page and it all just completely flies past me. I can make no sense of it. Luckily it was a dollar, digital and it's short. I'll give it another go tonight but I don't think I'll finish it.

Last edited:

woo

Nov 11, 2017
I'll second the recommendation for the Vorkosigan series. It's some of the finest character-based scifi around. I'll add in a recommendation for the Clocktaur War duology by T Kingfisher, which I finished this year and thought it was fantastic. Finally, I'll add the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny (start with Still Life) for some fantasy mystery fiction that also has very strong character work.

All added to the list; thank you.

NK Jemisin is well known for being one of the few black female authors working in sci-fi and fantasy and it comes through in her writing. She's a refreshing voice in the genre and I enjoyed the series quite a bit for it's unique perspective and take on standard genre tropes. If you decide to go with it I hope you enjoy!

Oh, I had no idea. I read the first chapter earlier and now have a couple of characters to care about, potentially at least. I am more intrigued than after reading the Prologue but it's still too early to say that I am hooked. I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

Dark Tower is not horror and my favorite series from King (and i have read them all). 11/22/63 was good as well.

I read the entire series and it was ok. I don't get the rave reviews, but it was decent world and character building. Would recommend if you had nothing else to read, but there is much better fantasy/sci-fi out there.

Thanks; Dark Tower is already on the list and it not being Horror is good to know. The JFK book has now been added to the list too.

I'm always interested in giving more imaginative fantasy a try, but unfortunately only got like a third into The Fifth Season before dropping it. Just didn't click, I guess.

That said, maybe I should look for a new, somewhat out of the ordinary fantasy book to read. Maybe The Gutter Prayer. I don't actually know how ordinary or out of the ordinary that one is, but I remember it getting praised by people here and I already own it, so.

Well as my friend is fond of saying: "We can't all be the same (name)". Unless it really grabs me I shall drop it but it's still in with a chance.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Reading The Silmarillion before bed each night.

Listening to the Audible audiobook of Neverwhere read by Neil Gaiman.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

ASOIAF is not a thriller/detective/horror novel, but good god if you have the slightest interest in fantasy then you need to get on this immediately.

It's denser than something like The Expanse, but it's very character-based and an absolute page-turner once you get going.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017

Possibles:

RSVP

commonwealth saga by Peter F. Hamilton.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
ASOIAF is not a thriller/detective/horror novel, but good god if you have the slightest interest in fantasy then you need to get on this immediately.

It's denser than something like The Expanse, but it's very character-based and an absolute page-turner once you get going.

Thanks for that; you have helped bump it up the pecking order in my reading list. I am not a great lover of fantasy but if it's well written then I don't mind it. You do make it sound very appealing.

commonwealth saga by Peter F. Hamilton.

Yep, on the list, thanks.

Seconded. My favorite author/series. World building is insane

That is several recs for this now so that's going higher up the pecking order too; thanks.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Worm, I can't stop reading Worm. Why has nobody ever talked about how damn good a web serial is?!

Seriously guys, Worm by Wildbow is really really damn good. And it's free to read or listen to.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018

619UGpWJ%2BxL.jpg

I really liked the series. But I found the first series 'Inheritance Trilogy' of her easier to read and a bit not so dark in theme. The Character stayed long with me even after finishing the books. It has the best characterization of a trickster(-God).

Nevertheless I think the Fifth Season is her strongest work up to date.

Other work of African authors, I really liked are the three Novella of ' Binti' and ' Who fears death' from Nnedi Okorafor.

I finally finished the Tawny man Trilogy of Robin Hobb. An o boy is it a roller-coaster of emotions. I was on the fence on the Royal Assassin books, but now in combination the current books, I think they are one of best character driven books I have read so far.
Yeah compare to the Gutter prayer and the Orange tree priory, the actual action is relatively slow, but no other books made me shed one or more tears on public transportation like three times the previous week and I was never happier about the closure certain characters got .
And the books get all topics which are adressed in the books well fleshed out.

I could rave about them all day and I think I actually start right away with the next series ' Fritz and the Fool' even though I wanted some ScyFy in between...

Happy to discuss or recommend the Series further :)

woo

Nov 11, 2017
eisschollee Your post has put a big smile on my face. It is really lovely to see someone have such a strongly positive reaction to a work of art, especially given these cynical, edgy times we live it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
51GNKL%2B-o2L._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

this book is SO good. Like insanely good. About to dive into book 2 of the trilogy. I don't think I've read better grimdark fantasy. Can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it.
I really want to get around to this book. I'm very curious. But I don't know how well I tackle fantasy stuff. I like it in movies and shows, but I don't think I've read a fantasy book yet. I tried the preview pages of this one, and it seemed very interesting with Ninefingers being stranded and falling from some really high cliff. It peaked my interest at least.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
eisschollee Your post has put a big smile on my face. It is really lovely to see someone have such a strongly positive reaction to a work of art, especially given these cynical, edgy times we live it.

Then I can you whole heartly only recommend you the book which did it to me :)
They offer two very unique relationships and the book really put effort in them to make you invested in them

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Then I can you whole heartly only recommend you the book which did it to me :)
They offer two very unique relationships and the book really put effort in them to make you invested in them

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your previous post but I should start with "Fool's Errand", yes?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Does anybody know any good YouTube channels for book reviews and discussion or explanation of themes etc? Sometimes I finish a book and can't stop thinking about certain aspects and would love something like this to go a bit more in depth. But if I just YouTube search "(book name) review" for example, it's generally just super amateur stuff talking about the extremely obvious. Nothing against those guys but was wondering if anybody knew of some really good ones. Especially around some more bizarre stuff like weird fiction or some of the more out there sci fi because I think some interpretations could be super interesting.

woo

Nov 11, 2017
Does anybody know any good YouTube channels for book reviews and discussion or explanation of themes etc? Sometimes I finish a book and can't stop thinking about certain aspects and would love something like this to go a bit more in depth. But if I just YouTube search "(book name) review" for example, it's generally just super amateur stuff talking about the extremely obvious. Nothing against those guys but was wondering if anybody knew of some really good ones. Especially around some more bizarre stuff like weird fiction or some of the more out there sci fi because I think some interpretations could be super interesting.

What about Reddit. I don't use it but it has an enormous userbase, no? If you wish to talk about eclectic books then you probably have more of a chance of a discussion going somewhere there I would have thought. Or start a thread here? This place is full of nerds, like me, so you never know.

Assassins trilogy is still very very good. I've only read that first trilogy and I loved them, the first 2 books especially.

Right you are, oh purple one.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
What about Reddit. I don't use it but it has an enormous userbase, no? If you wish to talk about eclectic books then you probably have more of a chance of a discussion going somewhere there I would have thought. Or start a thread here? This place is full of nerds, like me, so you never know.

Ahhh I was thinking more videos specifically, as it would be fun to watch them with my gf and stuff. But you're probably right, I would get a much wider range of viewpoints and probably better overall quality that way. Thanks!

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Since we're talking about Robin Hobb, I'll just say: "Don't skip the Livetraders trilogy just because Fitz isn't in it". I haven't started the Tawny Man trilogy yet, so I don't know how much connection there is between those trilogies, but the books are just fantastic. Pretty different from the Assassins trilogy as well, which was surprising to me.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got my grubby hands on a copy of The Toll by Neal Shusterman and can't wait to get into it. After the 2nd books cliffhanger, I don't know what to expect.

1481497065.jpg

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I stopped reading Cloud Atlas around a year ago and decided to pick up where I left off. I probably stopped at the worst chapter: chapter 6. I plowed through and managed to finish chapter 7 and was surprised how different it was from the movie.

So unlike the movie, this whole movement was fabricated by the government just so humans would distrust the fabricants and the fabricants can never raise up? There is no love interest at all. It...left me wanted more but the story ends here, it seems.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped reading Cloud Atlas around a year ago and decided to pick up where I left off. I probably stopped at the worst chapter: chapter 6. I plowed through and managed to finish chapter 7 and was surprised how different it was from the movie.

So unlike the movie, this whole movement was fabricated by the government just so humans would distrust the fabricants and the fabricants can never raise up? There is no love interest at all. It...left me wanted more but the story ends here, it seems.

all of David Mitchell's books are connected into a much wider battle between two forces (the Anchorites and Horologists) so you could get more of the overall ideas. It does feel like Cloud Atlas just stops but that kind of ties into the themes of everything being reincarnated time and time again (although it's been about a decade since I read it, so I'm very fuzzy on the details!)

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Since we're talking about Robin Hobb, I'll just say: "Don't skip the Livetraders trilogy just because Fitz isn't in it". I haven't started the Tawny Man trilogy yet, so I don't know how much connection there is between those trilogies, but the books are just fantastic. Pretty different from the Assassins trilogy as well, which was surprising to me.

Good to know!
But I mean, is Fitz really the reason to read them :)
I mean what is his role in the assassin books ?
Running around doing mistakes and heavily suffering from their consequences ?

I mean yrah he is te catalyst, so his choices set the world back on its right trackes but for him the always mean suffering or death

Maybe if you start with the Twany Man, you can give us a head up how those two stand next to each other?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm around two thirds of the way through Imaginary Friend, and I like what I've read so far.

It very much reminds me of King's IT, that same sort of vibe, so if you're a fan of that book I'd recommend giving it a look.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Finished a reasonable amount of books since the last time I posted in one of these threads.

The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt voulme 1 by Toru Toba and fal_maro - I thought it was a decent first entry, thankfully devoid of too much of the usual anime/manga fanservice tropes, although some of it does creep in. I'm not a military buff but a lot of things the author pointed out regarding the battles and running of the army made logical sense. I thought the genius prince character was well handled without getting too tiresome and predictable, and crucially isn't infallible. He makes mistakes. Sometimes to humorous effect. I hope the focus doesn't drift too much from the politicking and warmongering. Those were the most interesting bits. Will check out more.

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon - A strange reading experience this. For so much of it I was thinking it was decent mystery fiction but not much more than that. The mystery seemed obvious and there were only a few suspects. It seemed to be spinning its wheels as Brunetti was struggling to make headway into the case. Everything outside of the mystery was good. Characterization, atmosphere, sense of place. Then the final third happens and the mystery is turned on its head as one revelation after another transforms the book from a 3-star to a 5-star experience. I'm struggling to think of a previous occasion where the last third of a book has changed my opinion of a book so drastically. It all works so wonderfully to build on the character of Brunetti too. And this is just the first book in the series. Obviously I'm not going into the other books expecting a similar experieince.

Cold Spectrum by Craig Schaefer - Closes out the Cold Spectrum arc of the series quite nicely while leaving the characters in a new status quo ripe with story potential. There's a familiar pattern and rhythm to the book that's been there throughout the series. It's comfort reading. Something I can read and know I'll enjoy without it really blowing my socks off. To give the author some credit though I like the setting he has established in this and the Faust series. Plus there's been plenty of compelling hooks to reel me back in. I haven't got bored yet.

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny - Can't really say much else about this series without sounding like a broken record. Just another fantastic entry. Honestly, sometimes the mystery is the least interesting aspect in these books, which is not to say bad (they are very well plotted), it's just the other aspects elevate the series to another level. Even though each case is usually solved within each book I wouldn't say they really work as standalones. Each entry builds on what came before, adding additional layers of complexity. You have to read them in publication order for the best experience. It helps that each book is fantastic

The Neon Boneyard by Craig Schaefer - Similar thoughts to Cold Spectrum, although the two series do have a distinct flavour. The start of a new arc, so there's a new nemesis for Daniel to face off against. Again, very familiar, very comfortable and rarely disappoints. Maybe damning with faint praise, but I do keep coming back for more.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson - It's clearly an early Sanderson book but the characters aren't as bad as I remember them being in Elantris and Mistborn (admittedly read them a long time ago). There is still that one character that crops up in every Sanderson book that I find tiresome very quickly, here it's Lightsong who to his credit does redeem himself quite spectacularly. On the negative side, I didn't find the central mysteries and worldbuilding in this book that interesting. Same with the magic system. Usually once we're familiarized with the rules there's some interesting and outside-the-box uses by the characters. It all fell a bit flat for me which is unusual, as the magic system and the worldbuilding are often what I read Sanderson books for. The pacing is also uneven, the first two thirds is pretty slow and the final third feels rushed. As with a lot of Sanderson Cosmere novels I found it could have done with a 100-200 pages cut and a better balance to its pacing. It's above Elantris for me but still on the lower end of the Cosmere novels I've read.

Steel Crow Saga by Paul Krueger - I thought this was very good. I am unclear if this is standalone or not but I'd love to revisit this world and some of these characters again. It's easy to see the influences that the author has drawn from. I think Fullmetal Pokemist pretty aptly describes the book. The early going is a bit slow but the time spent with the characters is worth it. Really helps flesh them out and makes the journey worthwhile. The setting feels fresh. I don't know that many fantasy books that are set in that area of the world or in worlds inspired by those particular cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.