• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
And now just fired up Hyperion by Dan Simmons at the recommendation of... someone on era, I can't recall lol. Seems really nice so far, lovely detailed and specific scifi.

Enjoy! I'm two stories into it and it's incredible so far. Taking a bit of a break, will probably continue it this weekend.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance, and then Edgedancer before Oathbringer.

These aren't really required, and both could be read before Words of Radiance, but they definitely flesh out that world and add to the experience of the 2nd and 3rd books.

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
IMG_6459.jpg

I read like 25% of the book and it's extremely brutal describing "satirically" the morbide society of today (in Rochdale, UK) and the near future.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have and I'm quite 'meh' on them - the first one (La Belle Sauvage) is an interesting story about how baby Lyra gets to Oxford, the second one (The Secret Commonwealth) is about Lyra going to find a place called 'The Blue Hotel' where daemons without their humans go. Unfortunately both books seem to be simply setting up future events - the first one Lyra's world in the main books, the second one the Blue Hotel. They both have some good ideas but nothing major. I'll probably read the final one but I'm not overly impressed - although your mileage may vary as I loved The Subtle Knife (although I didn't like the conclusion either!)

Interesting! Maybe I will check them out after I watch s1 of the show then.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Starsight. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and I think it's overall a better book than the first in the series. Next, I read Ormeshadow. It was fairly short, and I didn't enjoy it that much. It was trying to do something like Wuthering Heights but without the depth of detail, character, or passion.

Currently debating what to read next.

Oct 29, 2017
Currently reading The Wise Man's Fear.

Finished The Name of the Wind last week after being unable to put it down for several weeks, and anticipate I'll devour the sequel in a similar fashion. I also picked up The Slow Regard of Silent Things as a companion to it.

Read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance, and then Edgedancer before Oathbringer.

These aren't really required, and both could be read before Words of Radiance, but they definitely flesh out that world and add to the experience of the 2nd and 3rd books.

This is the same advice a friend of mine gave me, so I'm definitely following it. Finished The Way of Kings last summer and loved it.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Currently reading The Wise Man's Fear.

Finished The Name of the Wind last week after being unable to put it down for several weeks, and anticipate I'll devour the sequel in a similar fashion. I also picked up The Slow Regard of Silent Things as a companion to it.

Tempted to start a 'Rothfuss has no regard for his readership' tussle, but I'll refrain...

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
36337550.jpg

Finished 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

I have a weird roller coaster of opinions of this book as it went on. I ended up really liking it and thinking it definitely sticks the landing, I just don't think the whole ride is really all that great along the way. I don't think it really does a good job of setting up all the mystery and really putting all the pieces in front of you. It's almost like the author realized this and suddenly had to create a detective POV to better handle this for the second half of the book.

I absolutely love the concept and think the ending really comes together and it earns it's ending but everything up to that point is kind of all over the place and sometimes too repetitive for me.

I kind of hate how the whole thing is just a damsel in distress. The guys entire motivation through the entire book is to just save a woman. It just changes who and the reasoning from time to time. It's annoying that he's constantly told his loyalty and having to save the girls will screw them in the long run but he is nothing but rewarded. It just feels like a lazy fill in for the character needing motivation since we can't give him his own.

Also love that they talk about a murder mystery on a cruise ship or big boat and his next book is possibly this exact story.
I have The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo on my to be read list and now I'm terribly amused by how similar these titles are. On Goodreads the author said it was a coincidence and the US title was changed to 7 1/2 Deaths, haha.

Oct 29, 2017
Tempted to start a 'Rothfuss has no regard for his readership' tussle, but I'll refrain...

Well I only just picked up Name of the Wind for the first time earlier this month, and only now just starting Wise Man's Fear, so I don't feel the same sting that others do in regards to how long it's taken him to work on and release book 3. Waiting 9+ years has gotta suck for folks who've been reading since the beginning.

It's got to come out soon, right? ...right? haha...

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Finding out that book 4 of the Stormlight Acrives comes out this fall reminded me that I never read book 3, Oathbringer (despite buying the hardback on release day). So I have decided to listen to both Way of Kings and Words of Radiance on Audible (I only listen to books I have already read), before reading book 3 and book 4 when it comes out. I am about half way into Way of Kings, and it is just as good as I remembered it. What such great characters, and I had no idea how much I missed that world. Listening to it has made my trail running so much easier.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Hopping between The Lies of Locke Lamora and the Edward Snowden biography Permanent Record. Not very far in either yet, hoping to finish both by the end of the month.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Well I only just picked up Name of the Wind for the first time earlier this month, and only now just starting Wise Man's Fear, so I don't feel the same sting that others do in regards to how long it's taken him to work on and release book 3. Waiting 9+ years has gotta suck for folks who've been reading since the beginning.

It's got to come out soon, right? ...right? haha...

I know I bring it up from time to time, but his publisher pushed Wind like it was the 'next big thing', it sold like wild despite a horrific cover, and guess what?!? 'The trilogy is already finished!' Biggest load of crap EVER sold to the reading public. And the guy is still treated like a rock star at conventions, although maybe more as a freakshow attraction at this point...

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
Finished Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.

The main character is a contemporary internet quipping urban fantasy protagonist while the setting and descriptions are basically death metal scifi. I mean, there were "That's what she said" jokes. It took some getting used to. I enjoyed it, but didn't exactly love it.

divination

Oct 26, 2017
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 😪 (I keep trying to find the passion that other's have for Murakami's work. The writing is just so bland and mechanical and repetitious. There was just a page long conversation about how it's going to be a longer story than expected and I guess this is supposed to be some meta-narrative wink and nod, but circling a drain of words doesn't make the drain deeper.)

I too struggled to get into Murakami. I tried reading both Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore as they're his most popular novels, but neither worked for me. A couple years later I picked up Sputnik Sweetheart, then After Dark and it clicked for me. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World ended up being my favorite of his works.

Currently reading Exhalation by Ted Chiang and it's already great and I'm not done with the first short story yet. I just finished his first collection of short stories and had to jump straight into his latest one.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
36204075.jpg

Knives Out got me in the mood for a whodunnit/detective story. Know nothing about the author or a book, hoping it's decent.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Best Served Cold. Dragged really hard for me. I wouldn't say it was bad, but predictable through most of it and I felt like the characters were much more simple and still less believable than the trilogy. Shenkt, Cosca, and Friendly are great though.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Finished Best Served Cold. Dragged really hard for me. I wouldn't say it was bad, but predictable through most of it and I felt like the characters were much more simple and still less believable than the trilogy. Shenkt, Cosca, and Friendly are great though.
I just started that yesterday and finished the first section. I'm hoping to read through The Heroes and Red Country, and maybe start the next First Law trilogy this year too. I was already a little turned off by the Grimdark/Mature Fantasy tone in Best Served Cold which surprised me since that was never a problem with the first three books. Hopefully Monza can grow on me. It's cool that there are already returning characters from the series too.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I'm still only like 20% into BSC even though I absolutely adored the trilogy. I dunno, nothing about it was really grabbing me. If worse comes to worst I'll just read a summary or something, since I really want to continue with the other books and I'm super excited about the sequel trilogy.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I liked Best Served Cold, the ending is refreshing in contrast to the original trilogy while still being in line with them.

I like how things end up alright for Monza, but the cost is absolutly astounding and she turns a good man trying to change for the better into a complete and utter monster. Also nice to see Bayaz get fucked just this once.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I liked Best Served Cold, the ending is refreshing in contrast to the original trilogy while still being in line with them.

I like how things end up alright for Monza, but the cost is absolutly astounding and she turns a good man trying to change for the better into a complete and utter monster. Also nice to see Bayaz get fucked just this once.

I also love the ending. The whole Shivers thing is just disappointing I guess, from the perspective of what I wanted to happen but also from the perspective of wanting him to be an interesting character. He goes from treating this like a job so he can become a good honest man afterwards to an easily manipulated stupid brute. One of the things I love about Abercrombie is the characters that you root for despite them being bad people and I think that most of the characters in this book missed that, they are either good people or bad people. Monza is like John Wick or something. Singularly focused on her revenge and in the real world, definitely fucking shady, but within the world of the First Law she is a pretty good person. The bad shit she is known for in her past was not actually her, she never kills anyone but the people who murdered Benna unless it was an accident (still because of her shit planning).

Morveer is another weird one. It's hard to understand his motivations in the second half of the book. What did Cosca do to him that made him try to poison him? I don't remember Cosca doing anything to Morveer. Like I guess Orso has hired him to break up Monza's band but he is definitely having his own little revenge marathon, and by the point he tries to kill Cosca Orso has already lost. I understand him wanting to kill Monza. Otherwise I do like his character throughout, he is basically your carry in a game of Dota 2 mentally and everyone else are the people who see him truly.

As for why it's predictable; I never really thought there was a chance Monza would fail. The exciting stuff then becomes the character interactions along the way. I will also say that I don't really enjoy battle scenes in fantasy and there are a good number in the back half.

I liked it still, but where the first trilogy for me are all fantastic 5/5, this one took me a long time to finish.

Sep 28, 2019
Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and This book is one of the most depressing books I've read in my life.

I'm about 50 pages into the Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Abercrombie's Great Leveller trilogy (Best Served Cold , The Heroes and Red Country) are the author trying on different styles (revenge, battlefield and western) in the same world and I'd say very successfully so. I'd recommend you keep reading as I believe that BSC is the weakest of the three.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Finished Deadhouse Landing from Esslemont last night. Esslemont is not the writer that Erikson is but it's still fun to be back in the world of Malazan. His books fill in some of the world building gaps from the main novels, I just wish that they weren't so centered on the Crimson Guard.

TrickyPhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I would say some of the complaints there about Best Served Cold are definitely alleviated by developments in the later books, particularly things like certain characters being a bit simplistic and a lack of anti-heroes (or just plain bad people) to root for. When I first read the First Law Trilogy I couldn't stop until I'd read everything from that universe, and a big part of it was how interconnected even the stand alone works can sometimes be. Wonderful moments of "Oh shit look who it is!" in various books, which is a real testament to how wonderfully written his characters are for the most part. He also has some blogs on his website where he went back and reread the books to research for the new series, they're well worth a read.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Hey guys. I dont know where to go to. But there is this sequel book i want to read: Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman. But it is said to take place after HDM. Should i read hdm first before Secret Commonwealth?

Oct 27, 2017
Best Served Cold is the weakest of the 7 books by a long shot. Of the sequel trilogy The Heroes was easily my favourite. But I'm also a huge military history nerd so an entire book that looks at every side of one single battle was right up my alley.

Edit: dammit meant to add that into my previous post.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Who are y'all favorite thriller writers?

Just finished "wayward" by Blake Crouch and He's 3 for 3 with me. Dark matter and Recursion were great. Gonna try and read the sequels soon but since schools started I might have less time.

I also think Gillian Flynn is 3 for 3 with her books.
Recommendations?

Oct 27, 2017
So, how to explain this. Book of dust is a total new material containing three books, it is now on second book. His dark material is something else which is already complete series. Both to happen in the same universe.
Just makes sense to me to read the first trilogy first. You might as well? They're great books anyway and I'm SURE the following trilogy makes plenty of references you won't get without reading HDM.

Upon further inspection it appears the new books are direct sequels following the main character from HDM. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to start at the beginning.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I dont know where to go to. But there is this sequel book i want to read: Secret Commonwealth by Philip Pullman. But it is said to take place after HDM. Should i read hdm first before Secret Commonwealth?

Yes, read HDM first. HDM is about Lyra growing up and finding her destiny in the world, The Secret Commonwealth is about her not really having a place after fulfilling her destiny. Also, events in TSC will not really mean as much unless you know what happened to Lyra and her daemon.

It would be sort of like jumping from Revenge of the Sith to A Force Awakens.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the new Thrawn series. Liked it alot. I'm glad Zahn got to revisit him in the new universe. May try out some of the newer books, but I need to make sure it's only the good ones. I didn't like the Wendig novels at all.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Finished the new Thrawn series. Liked it alot. I'm glad Zahn got to revisit him in the new universe. May try out some of the newer books, but I need to make sure it's only the good ones. I didn't like the Wendig novels at all.

I'm in the same boat, so I suggest you check out Alphabet Squadron. Probably the best of the new books, IMO.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
9781444763607.jpg

Finished Early Riser by Jasper Fforde. Had a really strong start and sort of puttered out by the middle. Info started being dumped and plot started getting jammed together to make things fit. It was still an enjoyable read despite that, though.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
After being on and off for two years, I only made to about 50% of Les Miserables.

Today, thanks to a headache, decided to spend the evening reading book instead of gaming. Somehow I managed to add 10% (around 100 pages)...Hopefully will be able to finish it this week. It's easily one of if not the most emotional book I have ever read (to the point I nearly dropped it off on one occasion)

I followed up my promise and finished Les Miserables today.

That ending tho

4-45005_crying-emoji-png-moto-g7-vs-galaxy-s9.png

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
3141840.jpg

Finished Paul Theroux's The great railway bizarre last week. It was interesting enough. The introduction states he mostly wrote it because his publisher was willing to give an advance for a travel book which they never would for his fiction.​
Ends up being interesting in a kind of historical document way almost since he goes through Iran pre-revolution and Vietnam just as the Americans are pulling out but the war is still technicality going on.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
latest

My dad gave me this book a while ago, think it's time I finally read it. I generally emit Trek books, hope this is good.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to reread Dune on a whim for the first time in 15 years. This book really hit me differently at 30 vs reading at 15. Such an amazing experience.
81BJ3OD3J-L.jpg

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who are y'all favorite thriller writers?

Just finished "wayward" by Blake Crouch and He's 3 for 3 with me. Dark matter and Recursion were great. Gonna try and read the sequels soon but since schools started I might have less time.

I also think Gillian Flynn is 3 for 3 with her books.
Recommendations?
Battle Royale, by Koushun Takami.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I finished The Hunting Party, it was a pretty standard trashy thriller really, kept me entertained, won't remember a thing about it in a week's time.

Next up is this,

81VFCOSfnsL.jpg

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read Dune Messiah and I have no idea what to think of it. On the whole it didn't feel as compelling as the original, at all, yet I blew through 2/3 of it in a single day.

I have no idea if the ending is good or bad, either. There's still so much I don't fully understand.

I'll have to give it some time before I move on to Children of Dune.

As for what's next, I really don't know- I'll probably continue Sandman.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
if you like historical fiction/fantasy give Guy Gavriel Kay a try. Finished "Sailing to Sarantium" another wonderful read.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Read through Volume 3 of Sandman (pretty nice but definitely the least interesting of the volumes so far) and Einstein's Dreams (decent little book).

I ended up restarting The Great Sea by David Abulafia on a whim for my next book, but I'm not so sure that that's wise when I have to look up terms like 'neolithic' for the book to make sense to my history-inept brain. It's the first time ever that I'm trying to learn history on my own time, except for reading Guns, Germs & Steel (which I dropped about 60% through because I wasn't retaining any information).

From the 10ish pages I read so far I learned that briefly some kind of cult existed on Malta which is really cool. They got colonized :(

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
So, i don't read much myself, but i want to do a present for my sister who reads a lot for her birthday!

I know she really liked that one book, i am pligrim from terry hayes

18144124.jpg

Can you recommend me something similar that isn't too well known? I rather give her something she didn't read yet

thanks