• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Star Wars isn't my favorite franchise by any stretch of the imagination, but as an artist and designer I appreciate that it's been without peer in terms of iconic imagery, jaw-dropping character designs, and finely-detailed and memorable mechanical constructs. Some of the most popular characters in the series owe much of their popularity simply to how well they were designed, even if they barely are in the films. Some don't even have speaking lines and yet are still popular.

Many of them could've gone quite differently. Yoda was once going to just be a glorified lawn gnome, for instance.
Yoda-2.jpg
1a12e3de82a78ffab58a2ea90dce630b--to-look-star-wars.jpg

Iconic ships like the Millennium Falcon were once entirely different in initial conception (many scrapped versions just became regular transport ships).
994422089_3e474456ed.jpg

Which is why it's good to appreciate just how well the series handled its many exotic aliens and fantastical sci-fi transports in the final films. There are HUNDREDS of ships and aliens and robots in the series, both in films as well as the comics, games, novels, and toys.

Starting off, and being disappointingly predictable, I think my favorite alien design is still the Dathomirians... mostly due to Darth Maul. I tend not to gravitate towards "humans painted different colors" in terms of alien designs, but from the very first concept art of him I saw during the film's marketing to the first trailer shot of him with his big entrance, it gave me something I feel Star Wars always lacked but I never knew what - a magic ninja space devil.
bdWG6NS.gif

As a design, he's both incredibly intimidating and yet also incredibly stupid, all at the same time, which is perfectly Star Wars. He's the angsty Sith lord who clearly listens to nu metal and got inked up to show his mom she wasn't the boss of him. He's human ENOUGH, but the red and black color scheme, crown of horns, and tribal tattoos creates a sort of alien savagery that Star Wars hadn't quite had before and that would've looked quite odd in the original trilogy. I'd chalk the retconning of his death and return in material like Clone Wars and Solo: A Star Wars Story almost entirely on the fact it was a design too good to waste. The rest of his species was equally elegant and unsettling, like a race of alien nightmare creatures.
acc70409a9ca9971ce144ccab199fd31.jpg

As for my favorite mechanical design, I'm quite fond of the Naboo Starfighter. I think I can thank the N64 games for that...
51Z8g9cWo8L._SX425_.jpg

It's like a sports car - sleek and streamlined, smooth and flowing to sharp points, and with a bold yellow that is a far contrast to most of the other gray ships in the Star Wars universe.

I just realized I used two examples from The Phantom Menace, which isn't even a movie I remotely like, but artistically it was incredibly imaginative in its designs and concepts. It looks fast, nimble, and classically retro.

And then I guess you have stuff like Dewbacks and Tauntauns, which double as both aliens AND transportation.

Out of all of them, which alien, droid, or creature design stood out to you most? And which mechanical vehicle became your favorite? There doesn't need to be any rhyme or reason for it, but it would be nice to share why that's the case. Whether it's Ewoks or Gungans, Jabba's Khetanna luxury barge or Yoda's Homemade Evacuation Pod, which stuck with you after you saw it?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Ok, Jar-Jar is a baffon... but I really enjoy the Gungans. Specifically their culture and technology they've developed.

Also Mos Eisley Cantina. The sheer Breadth of creatures in that concentrated area just looking for booze is amazing.

As far as ships/Vehicles. I'll always be partial to General Grievous TSMEU-6 Wheel Bike. Because Pre-Teen me couldn't handle how awesome it was lol.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Love the X-Wing and Y-Wing. Especially the X-Wing is so fucking swoosh

I'm a big fan of the Naboo starfighter too.

Droid-wise I think BB-8 is great in its simplicity

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The A-Wing has to be my all-time favorite spacecraft. Here's a few pics of a model I build of it. Ignore the finger :)

TyyE0Yo.jpg

YADHOlh.jpg

qYapnba.jpg

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Super Start Destroyer.

I always wanted to know how many engines it has, you never get the right angle in the movies.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Really like the Devaronians, bunch of goofy space devils.
Toruk.jpg

As for ship I wouldn't mind having Kyle Katarns ship the Moldy Crow a HWK-290 light freighter
Dfmac7.jpg

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly while I'm fine with a lot of the alien and robot designs of Star Wars, I'm just that: fine with them. There are some real classics but I don't really think about them much. Creature would probably be the Chiss. It's about as predictable as a Dathomir but the blue with red eyes is incredibly striking. Robot would be the Astromech series.

Ships, on the other hand. Hoo boy. So many fucking great designs. X-Wings, A-Wings, the various TIE fighters, LAAT gunships, ARC fighters, the Falcon, the walkers, the Naboo fighters and royal ships... just a wealth of amazing designs. My all time favorite though has to be either the Imperial class Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer. I tend to lean towards the basic one as it's the more iconic design but I love how huge the SSDs are. And while I dig the First Order Star Destroyers, they don't live up to the originals. The Supremecy is terrible.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I've always been a huge fan of the A-Wing and Jedi Starfighters. The Episode 3 version of the Jedi Starfighter especially is one I'm a big fan of.

The Kel Dor is a pretty cool race. I always wanted to see more of Plo Koon in the movies.

Dec 25, 2018
Doug Chiang gave a good talk on the design work that went into Phantom Menace a few months back that's worth a watch.

For prequel stuff, I always liked the Clone Gunship, Naboo Starfighter, Droidekas and Grievous design even if I was disappointed in his portrayal in Ep III vs the 03 Clone Wars Cartoon. He was like what I thought a big budget edgier Bionicle would like (I found it funny when Lego actually did a grievous in that building style).

For OT lots of the Rebel and Imperial ships are great. Falcon & Slave-I absolute favourites.

For Sequel stuff theres a lot of great droid designs, BB8, K2SO, L3-37.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars designs always seem more fantasy than scifi but they had some good ones

I liked the Darksaber, The Hutts decide to build their own Deathstar, but they were cheap and just built the laser and a cockpit.
latest

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The A Wing was posted earlier, so I'll go with the TIE Interceptor. Built for speed and sleek as hell.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit- beaten like Younglings

Oct 25, 2017
The sail ship in Ep 2 is one of my favorites, just because the idea actually isn't far fetched

latest

Also the Republic Gunship is top tier sci-fi dropships
star_wars_republic_gunship_by_simjoy.jpg

As mentioned the Naboo Starfighter and the Nubian designs in particular are all amazing. Mentioned earlier but B-wing is my favorite of the designs, just a great rugged heavy fighter.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I was generally always a fan of the Imperial ship designs. Star Destroyers, pretty much all variations of TIE aside from the standard fighter. X-wings are real cool too though.

Prequels are, well, the prequels, but they do have one of the coolest droid designs:

zRKVdgE.gif

Sep 7, 2018
Doug Chiang gave a good talk on the design work that went into Phantom Menace a few months back that's worth a watch.

For prequel stuff, I always liked the Clone Gunship, Naboo Starfighter, Droidekas and Grievous design even if I was disappointed in his portrayal in Ep III vs the 03 Clone Wars Cartoon. He was like what I thought a big budget edgier Bionicle would like (I found it funny when Lego actually did a grievous in that building style).

For OT lots of the Rebel and Imperial ships are great. Falcon & Slave-I absolute favourites.

For Sequel stuff theres a lot of great droid designs, BB8, K2SO, L3-37.

Doug did amazing work with the prequels. People often dismiss the films as trash, but the setting, creature, ship and veichle design are often top notch, and greatly expended the Star Wars world. My greatest, and perhaps only dissappointment with the sequel trilogy, is that the veichle and ship designs are so dissappointing, and that they do so little to expand the world in terms of setting. It all feel recycled, and perhaps a bit lazy, while the prequels brought so many fresh designs with them. I am still happy that Disney got the license, because Rouge One exists. Classic ship designs with modern CGI was incredible in the theater. The END space battle was one of the best moments in cinema as someone who always enjoyed the RoTJ space battle and the Rouge Squadron games growing up.

As for my favorites, the Venator Star Destroyer, LAAT gunship, AT-TE, Super Star Destroyer, Star Destroyer and Krennics Imperial Shuttle are among my favorites.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The making of star wars/empire /jedi books are so cool for behind the scenes stuff and designs. I'd recommend the e book version cause it has videos too. Definitely check those out!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Buck Rogers Thunderfighter was apparently an unused design from Star Wars. And it's the bomb.

i424l0d.jpg

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
As mentioned earlier in the thread, B-Wings and Droidekas.

Also, I love Snowspeeders
snowspeeder_ef2f9334.jpeg

The U-Wing (best design to come out of the Disney era)
artem-filonenko-starwars-uwing-0001-jpgfc2021e3-b4c5-4bd6-97ca-990b6d536814original.jpg

And the Jedi Starfighters
delta-7-starfighter_fe9a59bc.jpeg

latest

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The Medical Frigate at the end of Empire Strikes Back is just, like, a gun but I've always loved it.

latest

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The Wampa and Rancor for somehow being just as horrifying when rewatching the movies as an adult.

The Porgs are the cutest creatures in the films.

The AT-ST Walkers, Tie Fighters, Death Star and Millennium Falcon.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
As the video showed above, I had no idea it was based on a simple street lamp.
mwtrvq0sjos21.jpg

Not sure if its a rumor or not but I heard the Millenium Falcon inspiration was a sandwich with a bite out of it and an olive next to it.

Back to the topic. Pretty much all the OT ship designs, they're just fantastic. I always preferred the chunky/industrial sci-fi look to the overly sleek stuff.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The princess want to be a little incognito. So she had her entire vessel chromed out.
xzQlqfe.png

So that one.

I never liked when Star Wars ship designs go this ultra-sleek route, like this one and the Naboo fighter. To me it looks too inconsistent with everything from the original series and the universe as a whole. Also, the new 'upgraded' designs are trash, like the Super AT-ATs and in TLJ and that new TIE in the upcoming one. I feel like they said 'let's just make them bigger and slap some shit on them.' Everything in RO was aces tho. I really dig the AT-ATs in that . . . They looked like 'utility walkers,' you could assume what they were just by looking at them. Clear visual design.

I'm not a huge SW fan, so I can totally be off base. But the vehicles always got my imagination going.

Side note, but if you have a PC, check out 'Empire at War' from 2007 or so. The mod scene for this game is crazy, and there's a bunch of them that add new vehicular toys to play with and also makes the strategic depth so much better. Almost as good as a Total War game.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I love pretty much everything from the original trilogy, plus:

Everything from Rogue One
Moldy Crow
All the EU ships from the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games

All the other Disney stuff so far has just been updates and re-hashed.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite ships for me are the Tantive IV and Super Star Destroyer. Just something about their profiles do it for me.

For aliens, I think the Chiss are pretty sweet in their design.