• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
Some are flashy, some are technical, some are dumb as fuck...

...but finishing moves have always been an important part of the art form of professional wrestling. Every performer needs that move to help guarantee a win against their opponent. Crowds go insane after some of them are utilized, and a lot of these techniques are known by non-watchers due to word of mouth/popularity.

Here are three of my favorites:

3. The Stone Cold Stunner
20044sbe.gif

Stone Cold Steve Austin was a key part of the Attitude Era, and is one of the most important performers in wrestling history as a whole. The Texas Rattlesnake cursed, drank beer, and the crowd loved him whether he played a face or a heel. Austin wasn't one of the most technical sort of wrestler, but he excelled in stomping a mud-hole on someone and making sure his strikes hurt his opponent so what better finisher than the stunner to be in his arsenal? It's a simple maneuver: a three quarter face-locked jawbreaker, but the impact always looked so stone cold. I always popped hard for this move, and I may or may not have gotten detention for doing it on a classmate many moons ago.

2. Pearl River Plunge/Tiger Driver
giphyl1s85.gif

Yes. I know. Ahmed Johnson. Hear me out on this: my first wrestling related video game was WWF War Zone. It wasn't too good of a game, but my friends and I played the hell out of it back in the day. Back then (and even now), there are not a lot of Black wrestlers. Some members of The Nation of Domination were featured in the game, and while I always liked them, there was also Ahmed Johnson. I did not know too much about him, but little kid me loved his look. He looked scary as hell, and while I could not understand the promos that he had in this game (and I still do not), I enjoyed using someone that looked similar to me and his finishing move was really cool. I love all sorts of suplexes and power bombs and while I know Ahmed was not the originator of this variation (Thank you and RIP to Mitsuharu Misawa), I will always love the look of Ahmed doing it. It's explosive, which is a good word to describe Ahmed Johnson as a whole.

1. Shining Wizard
tumblr_narxw7wt4n1qhjixs7b.gif

I'll be honest: I have not followed the career of The Great Muta/Keiji Mutoh to the best of my ability. In fact, Japanese wrestling is something that I have only recently gotten into other than seeing highlights from certain performers along the years. Another video game wrestling related story: in WWE: Shut Your Mouth, you could unlock preset movelists and one of them stood out to me. The taunts were feral-like, and the movelist had a lot of Shining Wizards: my first exposure to the name. It wasn't until later that I learned that the moves were that of The Great Muta, one of Japan's greatest. I've never heard of the technique before that game but eventually playing the variations all out had me in love with it. It was versatile: it could be done anywhere and each spot looked amazing. Certain American wrestlers used the move along the years such as Gregory Helms, who I was also a big fan of growing up. Who doesn't love a swift kick to the head?

So, throughout all of the eras of professional wrestling: What are your favorite finishing moves?

As a bonus, here is Donald Trump on the receiving end of a stunner!
giphynpkzq.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Masterlock was dumb as hell since it's just a full nelson, but Chris Masters made that shit look brutal.

rawr its ry

Oct 27, 2017
Anything the rock sold crazy for lol, but if that doesn't count:

Stone-Cold Stunner

Jack-Knife Powerbomb

Rainmaker or Clothesline From Hell ( I loves how physical and brutal they look)

mkp64

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond Cutter/RKO. It's the most versatile move you could hit. Clothesline from hell is a close second.

OP
OP
spindashing

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
Oh, this is definitely up there. It's just a shame that not a lot of wrestlers know how to make this move look good. Bret was obviously the best at it, though.

Was gonna post a finishing move from an anime before I saw that this was a wrasslin thread.

For me tho it's Kane's chokeslam.
Wrestling and anime go way back, so I wouldn't have gotten mad at you for it. Feel free to share nonetheless!

Diamond Cutter/RKO. It's the most versatile move you could hit. Clothesline from hell is a close second.
I love a good cutter too, even if I prefer the stunner to it. DDP's were too good for us.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond Cutter. And none of that jumping RKO nonsense.
If_you_don_t_jump_then_it_s_a_diamond_cutter.gif

Honorable mention to Arn Anderson's spinebuster.
Arn_Anderson_spinebuster.gif

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
In general I think the Stunner and Tombstone are like THE wrestling finishers.

Aside from them...

source.gif

ALL THE WAY FROM HELL /bias

4q8KbbK.gif

Steiner Screwdriver looks like an absolute killer, a go to in the games.

I have a soft spot for a good pedigree, one thing I've noticed over the years is anyone trying to move that isn't HHH is pretty much guaranteed to make it look cack, Trips on a good day makes it look decisive.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Rock doing The People's Elbow.

mtuhkj.gif

The Rock Bottom

rockbottomanimated.gif

John Cena's FU.

giphy.gif

Rey Mysterio's 619

giphy.gif

Eddie Guerrero's Frogsplash.

eguerrerofrogsplashanimated.gif

I have more, but that's enough.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought the sweet chin music was the best. It was so easy to set up, that it has that come out of nowhere surprise factor, or a reversal. Or hell, you could even hype it up in the corner for the anticipation factor.

For me, the less contrived the better. Like 619, I hate that shit. It requires the opponent to land their heads in between the ropes in way that ONLY happens in Rey Mysterio matches for some reason.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
DDP (Jake the Snake)
Diamond Cutter (Dallas Page)
Spear (Goldberg)
Last Ride (Undertaker)
Stunner (Steve Austin)
RKO (Randy Orton)
Sweet Chin Music (HBK)
Five Star Frog Splash (RVD)