• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Epic Rap Battles of History is one of my favorite web series of all time. For those not in the know, is a Youtube webseries created byNice Peter and EpicLLOYD, The series puts famous historical and pop culture figures, real and fictional, against one another in a rap battle format.

They tend to be funny, clever, and at their absolute best they do a excellent job of incorporating actual history into their ciphers. However, at their worst, they are unfunny and uncreative in terms of lyrics. I would like to list off some of my favorite and least favorites from the series.

Favorites

Eastern Philosophers vs Western Philosophers

This is without a doubt my absolute favorite battle in the series. Witty, Clever, and incredibly creative in the ways the incorporate the personalities of the various philosophers into their rapping styles. The best instance of this being Sun-Tzu actually making the western philosophers fight among each other. Just a joy to go back and pick through the lyrics for things I missed.

Rasputin vs Stalin
Also a great example of a multi-man battle. Really clever lyrics and fun nods to Russian History.

Darth Vader vs Adolf Hitler
The second battle in the series and the one that put them on the map. This was also the first battle to it a fictional character against a real one, and the first one to have a quality both rapper share in common (in this case, both being fascist dictators). There are a long of gut busting laughs to be had with this one.

Einstein vs Stephen Hawking
This one was cute. A lot of witty puns on both sides and Einstein gets one of the best lines in the series,
"I'm as dope as two rappers! You better be scared,
'Cause that means Albert E equals MC squared!"

Its so dumb that it just kinds comes around to being smart.

Least Favorite
Ash Ketchum vs Charles Darwin

This was so fucking bad. Darwin had a couple of decent lines, but both of Ash ciphers were absolute fucking trash. Add the overdone effects and Ash grating voice, and you have a recipe for one of the most mediocre battles in the series.

Genghis Khan Vs. Easter Bunny
I always forget this one exist. I get it was a joke,but its just a really boring battle. Kahn has a couple of decent lines, but overall its super meh.

Miley Cyrus vs Joan Of Arc
Awful match up, awful beat, awful actresses, awful flow. A real big disappointment after Blackbeard vs Capone.

I would be interested in seeing what are some of your favorite and least favorite rap battles from the series.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The garden of eden one is by far the worst one

Obama vs Mit, Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates and the one with movie directors are the best ones

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like Alexander the Great vs Ivan the Terrible. Wasn't big on Wonder Woman vs Stevie Wonder

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Einstein vs. Hawking is my fave. Doing funky auto-tune was pretty inspired. I totally didn't see it coming.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Top 3 would be Gordon Ramsey vs Julia Child, Ivan The Terrible vs Alexander the Great, and Stan Lee vs Jim Henson vs Walt Disney.

Least favorite is probably the Lady Gaga vs Sarah Palin one.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Top 3 would be Gordon Ramsey vs Julia Child, Ivan The Terrible vs Alexander the Great, and Stan Lee vs Jim Henson vs Walt Disney.
Ill be honest, Ramsey vs Julia Child actually kind of disappointing. Mostly because Lloyd sounded absolutely nothing like Gordon at all. Its the same issue I had with Roosevelt vs Churchill, Winston Churchill has a very distinct voice, and didnt nail it all in the battle.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Ive also got to nominate Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley for two of the best lines in ERB history.

"Your daddy beat gold records like alchemy, dont make me spank you and dangle your ass off of a balcony."

"Didnt lose any chocolate, I just added vanilla."

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best

Jack The Ripper vs Hannibal Lector
Freddie Mercury vs Frank Sinatra
Blackbeard vs Capone

Worst

Too many to list

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen a lot, but my favourites are Steve Jobs vs. Bill Gates and Tesla vs. Edison. Both have good beats, fun lyrics and influenced me to go read up on those involved.

OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Im actually shocked no ones mentioned this gem

Ive probably listened to this battle at least 20 times.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only one I've ever actually listened to so I guess this has to be my favourite and least favourite one.