• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: this is a thread by CLaddyOnFire backed by the Adopt-a-user program.

I find myself at work in front of a computer with lots of idle time, and I'd really love to fill it with something a bit more engaging than browsing Era all day (sorry). Given that I would need something purely browser-based, I thought I'd get a discussion started about what browser games y'all enjoy that are good time-sinks, have good progression, or generally just have that "gotta get my time in every day" feeling.

To kick things off, I'll offer up the best browser game I've ever been a part of, Billy vs. Snakeman

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/

It's made by one guy, and I started playing it back in high school, around 2007. It's still active, albeit with a very small active playerbase. Updates are few and far between, but the creator interacts with the community all the time and is still dedicated to adding more and more content.

Part parody, part celebration, part nonsense, it takes a bunch of then-popular anime and inserts as many of their tropes as possible into an incredibly deep game. Essentially, you're a "ninja" with Chakra and Taijutsu/Ninjutsu/Genjutsu levels. You join a village, do quests to increase your player rank, and complete storylines. You recruit "Allies" you would recognize as parodies of characters from a TON of various anime (Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Code Geass, etc.) and use them to advance in the story. There is an ENORMOUS amount of content to get through, but luckily you don't have to do it all at once. Some content doesn't unlock until your second or third "Season" so you don't get bombarded immediately, and experienced players can help you decide what and when to do things.

There are also too many smaller things to talk about, like BillyCon (every weekend your character can attend an anime convention and pick which panels to go to, each giving their own bonuses, etc.), the Party House, the Arena, WorldKaiju, and every other tiny detail that has been fleshed out by the developer.

I honestly, sincerely, can't describe how impressive the game is, even with how basic the interface and mechanics seem. There's a lot of complexity, and the progression is really well balanced. Like I said, I started playing this 10 years ago, and (granted, after a few year hiatus) even now I login every day and bash some WorldKaiju, farm up more TACOs, help my village defeat a map full of Zombjas (Zombie Ninjas, duh), or whatever floats my boat that day.

HOWEVER! To the point of the thread, I'd really like to see what kind of browser-based games that Era enjoys on a near-daily basis. More specifically, are there games similar to what I described, with progression of some type, a story, etc.? Essentially, more of a Kingdom of Loathing style game, rather than a fun little game you might expect to see on a flash-game website.

Oct 27, 2017
Before opening this thread I was legit going to say "this ain't 2007, pal, nobody plays browser flash games anymore" LOL

But yeah, there are tons out there for everyone. I remember being addicted to boxhead and stickman.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Griddler is awesome. Picross fans should definitely check it out, it's basically endless mouse-based Picross where anyone can build levels of just about any size. There's so much stuff to play it's incredible.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dnkox.jpg

Touken Ranbu, which is kind of Kancolle but then with male swords instead of female battleships.

It's a perfect game for work or when you're also doing other things, as it only requires a click of the mouse and doesn't require you during combat.

CLaddyOnFire

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
Thanks so much for the thread!
Before opening this thread I was legit going to say "this ain't 2007, pal, nobody plays browser flash games anymore" LOL

But yeah, there are tons out there for everyone. I remember being addicted to boxhead and stickman.
Haha yeah, nowadays I can play a Flash game for maybe 5 minutes before I have to close the tab and pretend it never happened. If it makes it any better, the game I described in the OP isn't Flash ;)
Winnie the Pooh Home Run Derby. Sorry everyone...but it's true!

1357106352699.jpg
Oh man, I've damn near broken a keyboard trying to beat that freakin game. I don't think I should risk it using a work computer

Deleted member 12430

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't dare go back to playing flash games, my backlog has acquired sentience at this point and would probably give some angry looks. But it does bring back memories (some good, and some that really need rose-tinted glasses to look good):

Like completing the Fireboy & Watergirl games (solo like the forever alone bastard I was); spending hours into checking other user-made machines in IncrediBots; waiting hours for my dial-up connection to load some games; building towers in poor man's Minecraft, Cubelands (I tried revisiting it years later and it was as unrecognizable dumpster fire).

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I used to love browser games when I was in high school. I spent so long playing Insaniquarium. Some version of it still exists but it's not the way it used to be. I remember sites like Addicting Games where I could spend an entire afternoon.

I don't have the time to waste to play games like this anymore, but sometimes I wish I did.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Once in a while, when I wanna just unwind with something simple, I'll still look up Dice Wars. It's pretty much Risk, but they do all the reinforcement placements for you. It's super quick to get into and feels great once you start to build up a little power and start taking over the world.

I'm actually pretty surprised we don't see browser games more these days. HTML5 (from my limited understanding) seems like a fine platform, and stuff like WebGL and WebASM only help expand possibilities. I guess kids don't really have computers any more, but it still seems like it could be beneficial to skip the installation step involved with standalone app-store games.

CLaddyOnFire

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City
I used to love browser games when I was in high school. I spent so long playing Insaniquarium. Some version of it still exists but it's not the way it used to be. I remember sites like Addicting Games where I could spend an entire afternoon.

I don't have the time to waste to play games like this anymore, but sometimes I wish I did.

Insaniquarium brings back memories. Pretty sure I found it on Addicting Games as well. Spent so much time on that game, I'm not sure why I stopped. Must've just forgotten about it for a while and all the fish died or something.

Once in a while, when I wanna just unwind with something simple, I'll still look up Dice Wars. It's pretty much Risk, but they do all the reinforcement placements for you. It's super quick to get into and feels great once you start to build up a little power and start taking over the world.

I'm actually pretty surprised we don't see browser games more these days. HTML5 (from my limited understanding) seems like a fine platform, and stuff like WebGL and WebASM only help expand possibilities. I guess kids don't really have computers any more, but it still seems like it could be beneficial to skip the installation step involved with standalone app-store games.

Dice Wars is pretty fun. It gets repetitive but it's a nice distraction for a game or two! It really does seem like browser games have been thrown to the wayside in favor of app-store games. Not that there's anything wrong with app-store games (which is arguable, but I don't wanna get into it here), but there's something about a browser game that catches you. To me, mobile games seem to require your attention too much, whereas with browser games you can do a few actions, then switch to a different browser tab for ten minutes before picking up right where you left off in the game

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if others here like MUD's (Multi-User Dungeon, text-based online multiplayer games).

I sometimes play the Discworld MUD through my web browser: http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/

There's something very atmospheric about text-based games to me, plus it helps that the Discworld and associated characters make for a fantastic setting.

drumnsuxs.png

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
What was that one with the dolphin that you would rotate with the arrow keys and you had to get it up to the moon? is that one still around

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Spent waaaaay too much time playing BeGone a few years back.Bad internet, hackers and all, it was addictive.
Basically a CS clone in Unity.

Nowadays, nothing. Mobile took it over if I want a quickie.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom of Loathing once in a blue moon. I really need to get their new Steam game at some point.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just read that Abode will be ending Flash browser support in 2020

An end of an era. I can't even imagine PC gaming without Flash/browser games

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
My personal favorite is Epic Coaster. I lost countless hours to it, there's something really satisfying about the way the coaster moves.

I've also been known to lose hours of my life to clicker games, like Cookie Clicker and Paperclips.

Griddler is awesome. Picross fans should definitely check it out, it's basically endless mouse-based Picross where anyone can build levels of just about any size. There's so much stuff to play it's incredible.

I am terrified to even click to this. I lost so many hours to the DS Picross... I actually had to hide the cartridge at one point because if left unattended, I would sit there for hours.

Robot Unicorn Attack. That song has been stuck in my head for 800 years.

Thank God this is blocked at work, this is another one that I've lost hours to. I've left it open just to jam to the music before.

I don't know if others here like MUD's (Multi-User Dungeon, text-based online multiplayer games).

I haven't played a MUD in probably around... 10 years, at least. I used to play a lot on Aardwolf.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Robot Unicorn Attack. That song has been stuck in my head for 800 years.
Fuck this game! It was not made by a developer, but constructed by physiologists and sociologists.
Too perfect.

-----------

I sometimes play the Discworld MUD through my web browser: http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/

There's something very atmospheric about text-based games to me, plus it helps that the Discworld and associated characters make for a fantastic setting.

drumnsuxs.png
You can play this roguelike via web browser too - Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
https://crawl.develz.org/

Even graphics are pretty decent and its open source with active development community.
Quill18 made recently quite nice lets play of this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHa7hiLVQ0k&t=1s

Nice feature of online client is that you can watch others play:
7Tg1Irs.png

Last edited:

PhantomMartyr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super Mario 63 is honestly a fucking masterpiece. It's good enough to be an officially developed Nintendo game. It even had a level editor long before Super Mario Maker.