• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
For me: my main life influences are the fantasy genre, science fiction, western progressive politics, middle class mixed race parents, futurism, LOTR, ASOIAF, Memento, Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Matrix, DBZ, Hunter X Hunter, basketball, hip hop, punk rock, electronic music, toxic masculinity, history of the Roman Empire, Vedantism, Picasso, Mozart, drugs, cats, track & field, California coastline, USA food, Nigerian food, Chrono Trigger, Halo, and Nintendo. These things influence all my art, work, speech, desires, thoughts and activities. When I think back each one is part of an important milestone in my life. I have been obsessed with all of them to varying degrees. Each built upon the other over the years, until I became the international techno-futurist sports geek IT hippy that I am today. My YouTube feed confirms it :p

Life influences can be almost anything. Basically: What things/media/people/etc. made you into what you are?

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
In no order:

• A Heartbreaking A Work of Staggering Genius
  • High Fidelity
  • Bioshock
  • A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Talib Kweli
  • Nas
  • Eminem
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Tomb Raider
  • Westside Story
  • The Exorcist
  • Donnie Darko
  • Contact
  • Giant Bomb
  • Anything Dave Eggers writes
  • TYT
  • Marshall Mathers LP
  • Eminem Show
  • Illmatic
  • College Dropout
  • Return of Saturn by No Doubt
  • Madonna in the 80s
  • George Carlin
  • Bernie Sanders
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • AOC
  • Transformers cartoon
  • Thundercats cartoon
  • Get By by Kweli
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Sega in the 90s
  • Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Ken Griffey Junior
  • The Yankees in the 90s (mostly)
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Dan Savage
  • Jeff Gerstmann
  • Ultra Game Players magazine
  • PSM
  • Next Generation
  • Amy Hennig
  • Ken Levine

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Having immigrant parents and being an immigrant living in Texas (albeit in one of the more diverse areas) obviously was a huge influence. Also growing up starting fairly poor immigrant going to middle class suburban lifestyle.

Being part of a Christian household was another big one, though I'm not religious anymore I was quite influenced by many christians along the way, most of whom were asian american. And I don't quite have the same resentment of Christians that many who left the faith seem to, mostly because at least in that community I grew up in the people were largely really nice to me.

Not gonna lie, certainly being on GAF way back in the mid 2000s and into ERA now probably influenced me quite a bit.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I owe everything to Resetera

I knew I forgot to put something on my list :D

In no order:

• A Heartbreaking A Work of Staggering Genius
  • High Fidelity
  • Bioshock
  • A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Talib Kweli
  • Nas
  • Eminem
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Tomb Raider
  • Westside Story
  • The Exorcist
  • Donnie Darko
  • Contact
  • Giant Bomb
  • Anything Dave Eggers writes
  • TYT
  • Marshall Mathers LP
  • Eminem Show
  • Illmatic
  • College Dropout
  • Return of Saturn by No Doubt
  • Madonna in the 80s
  • George Carlin
  • Bernie Sanders
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • AOC
  • Transformers cartoon
  • Thundercats cartoon
  • Get By by Kweli
  • The Blair Witch Project
  • Sega in the 90s
  • Under the Bridge by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Ken Griffey Junior
  • The Yankees in the 90s (mostly)
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Dan Savage
  • Jeff Gerstmann
  • Ultra Game Players magazine
  • PSM
  • Next Generation
  • Amy Hennig
  • Ken Levine

This is one hell of a list of influences. Seeing a good bit of overlap with myself *thumbs up*

Having immigrant parents and being an immigrant living in Texas (albeit in one of the more diverse areas) obviously was a huge influence. Also growing up starting fairly poor immigrant going to middle class suburban lifestyle.

Being part of a Christian household was another big one, though I'm not religious anymore I was quite influenced by many christians along the way, most of whom were asian american. And I don't quite have the same resentment of Christians that many who left the faith seem to, mostly because at least in that community I grew up in the people were largely really nice to me.

Not gonna lie, certainly being on GAF way back in the mid 2000s and into ERA now probably influenced me quite a bit.

Being a fish out of water is so crucial to certain types of development. I am personally thankful for it.

3 ninjas
Kung Fu movies
Rap music
Jesus
Satan
Alcohol

Wow! I am pretty curious now...