• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I really like my platinums.

Using the Uncharted 4 preset on most games and it feels like an IMAX sounding experience. I need to give the 3D a try. I think the presets are really cool.

I did have some old Golds; the new Gold revision look way better and closer in quality to the Platinums but I wouldn't know for sure. Third party headphones are interesting because I'm not really sure which are considered the best.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I've been using the Steel Series Arctis 7 (2019 version in black) for about two months now.
Really a fantastic headset with very impressive battery life and sound.

I figure they are a superb upgrade over my Platinum headset which had the left ear cup die on me after only a year (same as my Golds!).
Also the Arctis 7 look sleek and not obnoxious.

Tattarus

Mar 16, 2018
Italy
Used the "pulse" headset from a Sony from 2014 (bought D1 with the PS4) trough 2017 when I finally bought a pair of Astro A40 TR with the Mixamp (i'll use them with my PC too).
They're wired but audio quality and mic quality are really good.
Yes I kno, for 249.99 bucks I could have bought a nice pair of headphone and a good mic etc etc, I just wanted the Astro because they look cool and all around I only read good things about them

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I love my Golds. And I don't have any problem with the mic. I find that I have to wear it properly. The mic is located on the left side. I dont have problems with my voice coming in fine.

But if I were to replace them I'm looking at the Platinum's. I want to see that 3D audio. Vss is ok. But sometimes it makes the audio lower than the it just being default.

Oct 25, 2017
I had the Turtle Beach Elite 800, but the hinge on one of its cups broke after over 3 years of use. I switched to the new Sony Golds but I miss the Bluetooth feature of the Turtle Beach Elite 800, especially as my phone doesn't have a headphone jack. I have been considering switching back, but the price of the dang thing is so high.

Turtle Beach Elite 800's advantages:
+ Very good sound in all modes.
+ It has three inputs so it works with nearly everything, it's a jack-of-all-trades. You have Bluetooth, a 3.5mm audio port and the official transmitter that works with optical out for consoles. No need to have a separate gaming headset and other headphones.
+ Transmitter doubles as a charging stand so you don't have to think about charging. Just place it on the stand when not in use.
+ You can use a mobile app to see battery status and set it up.

Disadvantages:
- The price. Regular price is $250, may go down to $200 in some stores.
- NO PS4 SLIM SUPPORT! You need the optical audio port which is in the old PS4 model and PS4 Pro. You can use 3.5mm out on Dualshock 4 but you'll be limited to stereo.
- You need room on a table for the charging stand which doubles as a transmitter. No simple dongle here.
- Microphone is pretty much Sony Gold tier and it's hidden inside the cups just like Sony Golds. You expect more for that price, but you get what you get.
- The buttons are very easy to press by accident because they cover most of the side. You'll get used to it, but if you ever need to give it to someone else you have to tell them about the buttons.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I've been using the PlayStation Pulse Elite Headset for around about 7 years now, and it's going strong too. It's got 7.1 surround sound and bass. Of course, this is more on the budget end as far as headphones go, sitting at around £80-90. If you are looking for something on the higher end of the market, take some of the other suggestions in the thread.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
I use the Beyerdynamic DT 990 with the Astro Mixamp. My previous two headsets for the PS4 were the PS4 Gold and the Astro A40's so those two are my only point of comparisons and honestly compared to those two the DT 990 sound leagues better. The Astro A40 sound was decent but the headset felt uncomfortable playing long sessions so I decided to upgrade to the DT990 and after doing some comparison tests between the two I couldn't go back to the A40.
For the mic I've got the Modmic attached to the DT990 and it sounds better than any of the gaming headset mics.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I just use the new Golds. They're very comfortable and sound decent for the money.

My only complaint is the battery life (around 6-8 hours).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Funny timing, realised my old Sony Gold headset was starting to crack on the headband (hinges were fine though) so decided to order the Sony Platinum set which should be arriving today.

Thought the golds were great and since the Platinum are meant to be better im looking forward to testing them out.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Been rocking my SteelSeries Arctis 7 for like a year and a half. Still in perfect condition, just an fantastic headset all around.

Just don't buy Sony's gold/ platinum headset if you ever plan to use the mic. It's god damn awful for chatting.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Been rocking my SteelSeries Arctis 7 for like a year and a half. Still in perfect condition, just an fantastic headset all around.

Just don't buy Sony's gold/ platinum headset if you ever plan to use the mic. It's god damn awful for chatting.
Never had any issues with my Gold set for speaking. I mean they probably arent the best but much better then most of the mics i deal with on Fortnite.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
My trusty Hyper X Cloud.

The only issue it has is that the Party chat comes out of ear only if I select "Speech Only" but when I pick "All audio" I do get speech through both ears along with the game audio.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
so quick question about the platinum headsets, with games like god of war and red dead that have profiles do you set the in game setting to headphones or do you keep them as surround sound? its always puzzled me because im sure if you set it to headphones it'll hardlock it to stereo but the headphones clearly offer 7.1

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the thread and all contributions.

Are there any recommended headsets designed for console and mobile use?
I'd really like something I can game with on PS4, then also pair with Android via Bluetooth and travel to work etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of my white HyperX Cloud, I'm using it on my PC, PS4 and Xbox.
But I'm not sure if these are in production anymore.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to pick up a pair during Prime Day sales. Tough choice between:
  • PS Golds (to replace my stolen pair) which I liked a lot
  • Upgrading to PS Platinums
  • HyperX II
  • Arctic 7 wireless
  • or splurging on Arctis Pro Wireless
I'm leaning toward the top three. Most likely will go with Platinums as they are $110 at the moment.

Jul 15, 2019
Can someone link me the PS Gold on amazon? Thanks! Also I have the hyper x cloud Alphas and they're good and all, but I simply want wireless. So maybe the golds will be a good buy for me. What you think?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Amazon has the Sennheiser HD599 on sale today for 99 dollars. Buy that. Stop wasting money on Sony made junk. You can also get the Hyperx Alpha for 81 dollars right now. Blows the Cloud 2s away.

Oct 25, 2017

banter

Jan 12, 2018
My PS Golds bit the dust a few months back and I picked up a pair of platinums. They're pretty great, though they do feel slightly heavier on your head than the golds, but they also have much better sound dampening for noise outside of the game than the golds did.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely hate my Platinums. I've tried everything with the wifi, to bluetooth devices and they still cut in and out. I'm actually thinking of getting those wired Hyperx Alphas.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I've been using the Steelseries Arctis Pro for the past few months and absolutely love them! They're hands down the most comfortable headset I've ever owned and are totally worth their price. Only downside for me is that they're not wireless, but I just couldn't justify to pay over 100€ for the wireless version which isn't different at all aside from well, being wireless.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
A friend recommended me the HyperX Cloud 2's and they are amazing. Wired though. Wired is always better than wireless tbh.

Also affordable. Mic is detachable. Loving them. Surpassed Turtlebeach for me.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly nothing beats the gold's price / features/ sound/ battery life/ combination. I've tried The Alphas, The Stealth 250's/600's and ultimately decided to keep my Golds. Grab them from amazon for 75 and you're good to go.

HesienbergSHO

Banned
Dec 29, 2018
HyperX Alphas love them.

Side note find a pair of the Sony Silvers cheap and use the virtual surround sound usb plug on any 3.5 mm headset you like.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
I just bought the SteelSeries Arctic 7 about 6 weeks ago. Most comfortable headset I own.

Battery life is excellent; I used them for almost 8 hours straight one weekend playing Division 2 with my brother. I sound clear, everything sounds great, the only downside is the because it's not a Sony headset, you can't do the chat mix from the headset. I was used to it with my GTAV Pulse Elites, but I got over it.

I have a set of these too and they're great. I love the build quality and the 2nd battery that is located in the breakout box. I'm never without a charged up battery unlike the Golds I had before.

Jul 15, 2019
I now own both Hyper X Cloud Alphas, Cloud IIs (never rly use the IIs as they started to wear out), and I also now own the Sony golds. I plan on using my Sony golds whenever I can for single-player games because i am sick of wires. Just picked them up from Target for the same price as amazon. Hopefully, they are good. Alpha's are good (but u need to ask hyper x for replacement ear cups for free cus the ones that come with it are bad as the drivers rub ur ears). i'll be using both.

Update: As an owner of these I will let u know what i think about them all.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Every time we talk about gaming headsets, a lot of people say that "a pair of good headphones + a mic is way better". I actually don't really care about the mic part at all, I just want affordable wireless headphones that work on both PC and PS4 by just connecting a USB dongle and provide decent sound quality.

That's why I always got the Sony ones. Not the mic, party chat settings or whatever. It just happens that "gaming headsets" provide what I want, even if a bunch of useless shit comes along with it.

However, I am kind of tired of them breaking every time, and I take so much care of them, it's frustrating. It's just a shame that no newer model supports the PS3 anymore, but at this point I don't have THAT many more games on the PS3 left to play, probably less than 10.

So I'm looking into other options, and after reading a lot about it, I'm trying to decide between the HyperX Stinger Wireless and the Corsair HS70. The Stinger Wireless is basically the Flight but without a detachable mic (which is truly a shame), less battery time (though 17 hours is still WAY more than my current broken Sony Golds) and the option to use wired (irrelevant to me). The HS70 has more customization options like removing the mic, and I vastly prefer its design, but it can apparently be a little less comfortable for people who wear glasses. I've also seen one reviewer saying the Stinger Wireless sounds a little better, but the rest didn't seem to find any difference worth mentioning in sound quality even when comparing the two.

At the moment I'm a little more inclined to get the Stinger, after reading so many great things about HyperX products, but we'll see.

Flight is WAAAAAAAY more expensive than the Stinger in my region, unfortunately. I'd be willing to pay more for the extra features, but not twice as much.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Hyper X Cloud Stinger. 50 bucks. Best quality/price ratio. I love the the way the mic works. With just a flip you can turn off/on your mic and the quality is surprisingly well. Also they are comfy af and very durable. The only downside i can think of is that its not wireless.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Hyper X Cloud Stinger. 50 bucks. Best quality/price ratio. I love the the way the mic works. With just a flip you can turn off/on your mic and the quality is surprisingly well. Also they are comfy af and very durable. The only downside i can think of is that its not wireless.
They're 30 bucks during the sale. And I agree, for the price they're amazing.

For people looking to go wireless, the Hyperx Cloud Flight are on sale and they're light years better than the Stinger Wireless.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I own the Hyper X Cloud Alphas and they work well enough. Bought them to replace the Cloud 2s because one of the ear pieces stopped working all of a sudden. Kind of surprised me since I only had them for about 2 years but maybe I just got unlucky. They both work well enough and I'd recommend either of them if you don't mind using a wired set. Cloud 2 comes with a VSS adapter but the Alphas don't though so if you want that feature you might want to grab the Cloud 2. You could also just buy the VSS adapter separately and use them with the Alphas though. Not an audiophile so I can't really tell the difference in sound quality between the alphas and cloud 2. Their mics are both massively better than the PS Gold's mic though.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Got my Astro A10s for ~$50 almost a year ago and I don't know if I'll ever go back to another brand.

Oct 25, 2017
They're 30 bucks during the sale. And I agree, for the price they're amazing.

For people looking to go wireless, the Hyperx Cloud Flight are on sale and they're light years better than the Stinger Wireless.
Wait, they are? Tell me more. Reviews tend to paint the Stinger Wireless as basically the Flight but with less features. If the Stinger Wireless is too much of a step down, I might just wait until I can afford the Flights.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Wait, they are? Tell me more. Reviews tend to paint the Stinger Wireless as basically the Flight but with less features. If the Stinger Wireless is too much of a step down, I might just wait until I can afford the Flights.
Their sound signatures are very different. The Stinger is incredibly muddy. Not to mention the mic is garbage tier. Check out the HardwareCanucks review on youtube. He compares both headsets directly.

Oct 25, 2017
Their sound signatures are very different. The Stinger is incredibly muddy. Not to mention the mic is garbage tier. Check out the HardwareCanucks review on youtube. He compares both headsets directly.
I did a bit more reading on it after the video, and I'm kind of inclined to just get the Alphas instead. Just worried about going back to wired after so many years playing wireless.

But reading that the Alpha apparently even beats the Flight slightly in audio quality just makes it so much harder to spend more than twice as much on the Flight.

Thoughts on that?

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I still use my Wireless Pulse Elite from the PS3 Era. I think I have it for 7 or 8 years and it's still rocking. I use it on PS4 and PC nowadays.

Jul 15, 2019
Update: After using the Sony Gold Wireless for a few hours, I can safely say that they are not worth it. I mean the sound is great, but the mic quality isn't good. But most importantly, they're not comfortable to wear and they feel cheap. Therefore I will be returning them back to target tomorrow to hopefully get my refund.

For all of you, as someone who has used the Hyper X Cloud Core, Hyper X Cloud II, and the Hyper X Cloud Alphas (i still use them), i recommend going with any of them. I'd say if u have patience go with the alphas. The reason being is because the 3.5 cable is removable. that is important cus the cable in both the cloud core and cloud II shit the bed. The only bad thing with the alphas are the ear cups that come with the headset. You're going to want to ask hyper x for a free replacement and it will come and make it much more comfortable, but yeah, that's my thoughts.

I've wanted to switch to wireless, but obviously that won't work unless I invest money. Something i am not going to do. i will just eat the cable on the alphas and deal with it cus it's worth it.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I did a bit more reading on it after the video, and I'm kind of inclined to just get the Alphas instead. Just worried about going back to wired after so many years playing wireless.

But reading that the Alpha apparently even beats the Flight slightly in audio quality just makes it so much harder to spend more than twice as much on the Flight.

Thoughts on that?
The Alpha costs the same as the Flight today. I think maybe you meant the Stinger, and that definitely does not sound like the Flight. Flight sounds like the Alpha in wireless mode. In wired mode you can shape the sound with an EQ, but if you don't, again it's basically the Alpha.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Update: After using the Sony Gold Wireless for a few hours, I can safely say that they are not worth it. I mean the sound is great, but the mic quality isn't good. But most importantly, they're not comfortable to wear and they feel cheap. Therefore I will be returning them back to target tomorrow to hopefully get my refund.

For all of you, as someone who has used the Hyper X Cloud Core, Hyper X Cloud II, and the Hyper X Cloud Alphas (i still use them), i recommend going with any of them. I'd say if u have patience go with the alphas. The reason being is because the 3.5 cable is removable. that is important cus the cable in both the cloud core and cloud II shit the bed. The only bad thing with the alphas are the ear cups that come with the headset. You're going to want to ask hyper x for a free replacement and it will come and make it much more comfortable, but yeah, that's my thoughts.

I've wanted to switch to wireless, but obviously that won't work unless I invest money. Something i am not going to do. i will just eat the cable on the alphas and deal with it cus it's worth it.
Why not get the Stinger wireless or Cloud Flight. Both are Prime specials today.