• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
THis is my best friend's favorite movie of all time...i originally didnt care about it beyond seeing the commercials years and years ago, but he forced me to watch it so many times unfortunately i know all the quotes and have to apply them to when i'm doing things like thinking "I'm coming" when someone is calling for me

Its making fun of old kungfu movies and bad dubs, nothing more
But is it this main character white guy putting on a fake stereotypical Asian accent for all the characters? I tried to look this up on IMDB but it doesn't really clarify the voicing situation (it's also 1:30am so I could just be missing something). If it is, then... how is that not racist?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But is it this main character white guy putting on a fake stereotypical Asian accent for all the characters? I tried to look this up on IMDB but it doesn't really clarify the voicing situation (it's also 1:30am so I could just be missing something). If it is, then... how is that not racist?

Because none of the voices are stereotypical Asian accents.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Because its not. Its just making fun of kung fu movies and bad dubs, as i said

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kung Pow Enter the Fist is a masterclass in film, can't wait for the Criterion Collection release

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
we had a 10 page thread a couple months ago of people just posting quotes from the movie

one of the all time greats

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
i hate how the main guy looks like Kevin Nealon but is not Kevin Nealon. It always bothers me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's so good that it's never going to get that sequel they promised since they know there's no way they can do it better

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Looking back on it now it's an entire movie of shitposting

WE'RE CHILDREN! WE'RE CHILDREN! WE'RE CHILDREN! WE'RE CHILDREN!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i love that we're getting almost one Kung Pow thread a month now

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful, Kung Fu Hustle is a much better martial arts parody.

they're kinda going for different things to parody in martial arts movie. I actually don't find Kung Fu Hustle nearly as funny, except for the escalating "we fucked up" scene where he's trying to throw the knife, but it is by far a better action film.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Betty: Go get some snacks. Perhaps a car-bo-nat-ed so-da
Wimp Lo: My nipples look like Milk Duds
Master Tang: I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn, and it's non-dairy.

literally the most quotable movie I've ever seen. And one of the funniest. I still laugh out loud just thinking of it. So yeah you should see it

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful, Kung Fu Hustle is a much better martial arts parody.

LegalJointAtlanticspadefish.gif

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I was already laughing so hard that my sides hurt, I was shaking, gasping for breath, and tears were pouring down my face from something else I could watch one scene from Kung Pow and do an amazing impersonation of a statue.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
they're kinda going for different things to parody in martial arts movie. I actually don't find Kung Fu Hustle nearly as funny, except for the escalating "we fucked up" scene where he's trying to throw the knife, but it is by far a better action film.

I found quite a few things to laugh at in Hustle, but this is a fair assessment.

Kung Pow is more a parody of the awful dubs/edits that used to be the only way to see martial arts films.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it when I was younger. Watching it today, I realize how stupid it really is. Still, I have a soft spot for it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I found quite a few things to laugh at in Hustle, but this is a fair assessment.

Kung Pow is more a parody of the awful dubs/edits that used to be the only way to see martial arts films.

I think Hustle is at its most absurd with the hilariously bad CG roadrunner scene. I fucking died

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Old man voice and nasally, high pitched voices are asian stereotypes?
if anything they are making fun of the shitty voice acting present in nearly every 1970's kung fu movie that made it to the west

all those movies had a dub actor for the main character, a dub actor for the love interest, and like two other dub actors who would just have to make up all the other voices for the side characters/villains

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was Youtube Poop before youtube.
Kung Pow and Fesh Pince occupy the same mental headspace where you bring it up and people will quote every single passing minute of it

Shaolin Soccer > Kung Fu Hustle tbh

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen this movie but for some reason feel inclined to support its weird resurgence

however if it's gotta be this or Kung Fu Hustle, I'm team Kung Fu Hustle. They do seem like much different movies though

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when blockbuster still existed and my friends and i were a little high off weed and we rented kung pow on the whim and we never laughed so hard watching a movie. That shit caught us off guard. Shit was funny as hell