• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I won't know until I hold it, but it looks like a decent refinement on what was already my preferred controller.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'd need to hold it in my hands of course to get a true idea as to how good it is, but the XB1 controller was already great and this is sporting a few improvements so things are looking good.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad that its not that cross pad crap like the Xbox One has. Happy that it's closer to the 360 d-pad.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Seems ok. Hard to say without actually feeling it in action. I don't think it necessarily immediately reads as something that would work well for side scrollers, but it's hard to know.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer the D-pad of the standard Xbox One controller. I hate D-pads on circles. I find they're terrible for Street Fighter.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is honestly the biggest disappointment for me. Clicking in the sticks on a controller is a really crappy control mechanism. Have moved that to paddles has been a literal game changer for me. Disappointed something like this isn't going to be addressed in the next gen.
yep. Elite v1 still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Happy with the textured triggers, I assume the back will have a proper texture like the Gears 5 controller.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Share button was needed, Dpad will hopefully be almost classic Sega-like which could be great, and everything else looks about the same as One, just slightly refined, which is to say great. Would love to see Gyro added but that doesn't seem likely, excited about being able to bring my Xbox One controllers forward with no dongles or issues. Overall, it seems like they nailed it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This D-Pad concerns me. The Xbox One's D-Pad was very solid, so hope they have learned their lesson from the 360's (which is one of the few D-Pads that I have encountered that was so imprecise that it teetered on the edge of being unusable). I can't go back to a D-Pad like the 360's. I can't.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Was already a near perfect controller. This in seeing labs will be perfection for me.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even know they had shown this anywhere yet.

Looks fine to me. I've come to prefer the weird silver disc on the elite controller, and this seems to have similar 'raised edges' on the side on the dpad which is great.

The way it looks like next gen will shake out, I won't be switching from my OG elite controller for some time.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DPAD looks fine, is it confirmed there are no paddles like the steam controller has though? That is the real change I want.

vbwh

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
It almost certainly won't have a gyro, unfortunately. It has been confirmed that current Elite pads will work with the new console, so devs won't be able to rely on it being available even if this pad does have it. As a general rule, devs aren't big on supporting optional hardware.

And since devs will want feature parity between XSX and PS5 versions, don't expect gyro aim to be common on the latter either. :(

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks fine. Good thing if people don't like the disc shape they can just use their old one.

I originally used to always put the old-style d-pad on my elite, but I played Bloodstained solely with the disc and now I prefer it after I got used to it.

I don't think they'll put paddles on it. That's something I feel they'll save for their "premium" controllers since that seems to be working so well for them.

I just hope the d-pad is still clicky. I love the clicky d-pad.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
looks good, interested to know what that extra button does and the grip on the triggers looks nice

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I like the texture, I like that it's smaller, will have to try to D-pad to get an opinion on that. I will forever think the "X" branding is tacky, though, it would be a beautiful piece of industrial design without that.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Looks similar to the Elite swappable d-pad... Which I've swapped out for the classic almost immediately. I don't like it.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine to me, and i dont use a pad for fighting games so that doesnt bother me in the slightest.

as long as it feels good when i get my hands on it; thats what matters to me.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
You have issues, my friend! Best dpad ever for arcade type games. Much love for Nintendo style + shaped dpads as far as more traditionally home oriented genres like platformers, metroidvanias/action platformers or puzzle games are concerned but as far as fighting games, shmups and run'n'gun are concerned, saturn dpad is absolutely where it's at! Pulling off 360, half circles and dp motions with traditional style dpads is a pain!

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Well they couldn't possibly make the One's any worse, it appears to be an improvement just imagining how it will work, but I would have to use it myself to say for sure.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I find the current Xbox One controller more comfortable to use after long periods than the DS4, so I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. And that share button is a godsend!

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After looking at the image and reading what Phil detailed, I think it's a massive upgrade over the XB1 controller.

He claims the new controller is a bit smaller, and from what I can see the triggers are textured for grip and doesn't curve as much as the XB1 triggers do. The bumpers seem a bit more pronounced, and I'm really digging that matte black textured look they've got going on.

Just going back and looking at renders/promo pics of the XB1 controller, this new Xbox Series controller looks much nicer overall.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm unconvinced at this stage.

Will see after some use.

Maybe it works who knows.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The triggers and bumpers looks slightly more comfortable in particular switching between the two. That's kind of the one thing I really dislike about the Elite is the shape of the controller makes it harder for the fingers. The bumpers slightly more slanted on the edges helps. Share buttons nice, don't really like the circular d-pad though this textures the surface which unlike the elites make it easier to hit a particular direction. Doesn't look like it has any paddles.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
How would any of us know?

Pretty much this.
It's impossible to tell the quality of a d-pad by just looking at it.

Bad d-pads
YNUeRPi.jpg
kekg4WX.jpg

Good d-pads

WcKk7vn.jpg
zTu0MDa.jpg

They don't look that functionally different... but the difference is, in fact, huge.