• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondered whether any of you are harboring any predictions that you think are unlikely to come to fruition but that there's a gut feeling or chance they might? Can be as outlandish or minor as you like, be for a game, system, hardware or technology. Just anything gaming you have a hunch for.

Mine's quite specific but I have a feeling that Bungie will bring back some of the raids from the original Destiny into Destiny 2 so that PC folks will get to appreciate them (and those new to the franchise in general). More likely to just be Vault of Glass, but I still think it might happen despite being unlikely.

edit: Oh god I borked the title.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We will skip past VR and have games beamed directly into our brains. Graphics are only as good as how powerful your brain is. Many people will overwork their brains and die as the tech is mastered.

does it have to be serious?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think PS5 will be the last traditional PlayStation console. By the time 2028 or whenever comes around I'm guessing there will be major changes in gaming tech and PS6 either won't exist or will be a radically new type of platform.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming bold predictions?

Xbox One X will be a huge sucess. It will set the industry standard for years to come on mid gen upgrades, even Nintendo will eventualy join the party with the Switch+

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I have this feeling that the console market we know of today will die out after the next generation, replaced by mainly mobile devices, or whatever new tech we might have then.

I also feel like we'll see less AAA single-player games from third-party developers in the future.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games industry will crash once global warming really sets in and societies are more worried about surviving than playing games. I give this 15-20 years barring any major world conflict

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
D Dog is Decoy Octopus.

Kojima will reveal this in am interview, and that the reveal was cut from the game.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Many publishers' AAA games are going to service themselves into irrelevance and Nintendo will eat their lunch.

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
Gaming bold predictions?

Xbox One X will be a huge sucess. It will set the industry standard for years to come on mid gen upgrades, even Nintendo will eventualy join the party with the Switch+

Nintendo will drop an improved Switch but it won't be as big as an improvement as the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

I think that eventually YouTube will crack down on the people using Patreon such that people like Jim Sterling will be forced to either get on the advertisement gravy train or find a new video hosting service. Specifically I also think that it's only a matter of time before the copyright deadlock technique comes back to bite him on the arse, if he's not sued then I could see YouTube outright closing the channel as soon as the copyright owners start making a fuss.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
Google or Amazon will develop their own console or platform and start publishing games.

Also this is more of a "this will likely never happen but is an idea I've been kicking around in my head for a while": Microsoft sells their gaming division to Google or Amazon.

(Nothing against Microsoft, I owned the OG Xbox & 360, but I just have the feeling that Google/Amazon really would be willing to throw their hat in the ring and buying out a former competitor to have a basis to work with would be the best way to do that. IIRC, Sony's gaming division makes them big bucks and is keeping them afloat, and Nintendo is primarily gaming, while Microsoft is profitable enough without their gaming division, and would be the most likely to sell it should push come to shove)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Switch will outsell the SNES which is at 49.1m.

This is pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Gaming bold predictions?

Nintendo has been doing this for years with their handhelds (though not to as significant a degree).

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I guess "mid-sized gaming studios will continue to be closed, bought, or bought and then closed" is not very bold at this point.

AbsiG86

Oct 28, 2017
We will play FFVII remake before the end of the world ..........

On a serious note, Switch will eventually outsell Wii.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo will eventually when the sales slow down split the Switch into two, selling one handheld-only version without the dock and one regular console.

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Within a few generations there will be no more consoles per se but a shared platform ala DVD/Blu Ray and the only thing that will differentiate MS from Sony is the bundled controller and access to their respective back catalogues.

Nintendo of course will have none of this and will keep Nintendoing.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
The next mainline Zelda will be completely different than BoTW.

I see it as a WW style departure from tradition where the next Zelda will have more of that old Zelda feel.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Games media will become more diversified. There is a clear hostility to the status quo of there just being a few major publications.

BaShaBeSho

Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
Gaming bold predictions?

i think that chance will increase if more exclusive 10/10 games come to the system
for example
- PS4 (god of war - uncharted - the last of us - horizon zero dawn - etc)
- nintendo (mario - zelda - metriod -etc)
games sells systems, no games = no success

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
Despite what multiple people keep on claiming, console gaming will be here to stay in the next decade too. Nintendo will not be moving their games to a different competitor. Microsoft will keep on doing their thing, although I do believe they will get not as much sales as Sony. Even though many people thought PC gaming will outdate consoles, I have a feeling more people are willing to accept this fact than they were in the past.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

...Steam will have focus in mobile games.

Oct 26, 2017
The N64 mini will include GoldenEye.

The shelved remake of the game will at the same time finally be released for the Xbox One and the Switch with cross plattform play via Xbox live.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will join the lootbox craze and link special boxes to amiibos.
Microsoft will sell the Xbox division to Apple/Amazon/Samsung.
Sony will be bought by another company.
Half-Life 3 Will be announced but not be Valve developed.
Ubisoft won't be able to stop a hostile takeover.
EA will be forced to downsize considerably.
Capcom Will file for bankruptcy.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
Both Kingdom Hearts III and FFVII Remake will be delayed till 2019 or 2020.

God, I hope I am wrong.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Konami is going to make a quiet and unexpected comeback within the next few years and we'll see more AA revivals similar to Super Bomberman R.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft will release a Xbox TV or Stick later in the gen, that is a full Xbox One but without an optical drive and big HDD.

Thia ia aimed foe people who play just one game and want the console to be as cheap as possible, or mulit console households.
All your accessories still work and the market it; "as cheap as an Apple TV, but can play all the real games"

But because the Playstation TV failed and their initial TV pitch backfired they probably have worries to do this.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction #1: Nintendo will introduce to the market a "Nintendo Switch Pro" in early 2019. It'll have the same form factor as the current Switch with perhaps a slimmer form factor and support full HD in both docked and handheld mode with support for 4K upscaling when docked and HDR.

HDR will also be supported in handheld mode and it'll sport an OLED screen by LG. Will be priced at $399 and it's "killer app" will be Game Freak's Pokemon.

Ok this next prediction is dark.

Prediction #2: Developers will unionize to combat crunch and developer exploitation by publishers. A fatal incident will lead devs to galvanize and strike against publishers, upending the industry.