• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
Mine is SNOWY areas. I just hate seeing all the landscape covered in white (KH3/DQXI).

Vf8fD59.jpg

2aU6gzP.jpg

Generally I don't have any other problems with any other type but since I finished Metro exodus last month I begun to dislike desert/and sand levels as well lol. But def snow levels are just bad.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Bug infested areas, which usually happen to be caves.

Xenoblade X in particular made it hard to enjoy caves when you had spiders and insects screeching at you every two seconds.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a love-hate relationship with snow areas. They are great at first, and then the white color starts to hurt my eyes.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm not a fan of temples which are located in, or in the vicinity of a body of water.

Other temples are pretty cool though.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I love snow areas OP, I wish we had more Christmas themed games.

In terms of what I dislike the most, has to be Lava or just really brown toned areas like Industrial buildings or bland interiors.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indoor dungeons with a lot of hallways and winding paths. I get lost easily in them and it gets boring to just have torch-lit stone hallway after stone hallway.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Hell or other demon home planets/areas.

I know it's not supposed to be a fun place, but Hell areas in games are always a fucking boring chore and mess up the momentum.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
As someone living at sea-level altitude, having the chance to explore snowy areas in games is nice, even if I don't share that mentality of Christmas/Winter = Snow.

I guess if I were to choose, I don't care about big cities full of skyscrapers and all that. If I get to explore a town I'm more interested in the locals and the small shops, so that translates to games as well.

But I think rather than not liking a type of area, if I don't like some place I'd probably be related to the level of care put into it by the developers and artists.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, snow levels are the best, with desert / sand second place.

What I hate are jungles, terrible almost every single time.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The classic tropes that somehow keep popping up year after year:

• The sewer level. Slow movement, possibly poison, drab visuals.
  • The industrial base or warehouse with nothing but gray walls.
  • The caves of boredom.
  • Hell levels made of some squishy stuff. See DMC 5, they look boring as..well, hell!
Pretty much any environment that has literally nothing interesting going on and is just an area you have to drudge through. Bonus points for a water level in a game that does not have good control in water.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Deserts are the fucking worst.

I love water, snow, ice, and swamp areas in games.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Caves are just the fucking worse. Look at this rock texture seventeen times with the occasional plant.

Sewer levels, Weird Alien hive level, Levels that are just factories with no interesting intractable.

Miyazakis hard on for poisonous swamp levels just before the midway point is also absurd now.

No votes for Desert regions yet? Just nothing but sand everywhere. I don't like sand.

Is it because its coarse, rough, and it gets everywhere?

Deserts odd too me. In games like the witness and uncharted 3 its stunning and i even liked it in breath of the wild.

Hating snow levels i dont understand, Makes games look stunning. God of wars a great example.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Desert areas are generally my least liked in level-based games. For example, the Desert levels in Super Mario Bros games are usually my least favorite. I just don't like the colors and bland backgrounds.

I'm fine with ruins, temples, pyramids, etc., but just plain desert? Meh.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Medeval or Iron Age age towns I find boring and one reason I prefer JRPGs. I also find hangar and nuclear bases boring with the exception of Shadow Moses which had an strange elengance to it, being a snowy base in the middle of nowhere.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 1 main game is through a valley like rocky dessert wich is the most boring enviroment in gaming imo. It's why i prefer 2 and pre sequel even over it. The more diversity in enviroments in the later games was a good choice indeed.

I heard the dlcs in 1 kinda fixes that so ill probs play through those soon.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You haven't played on Phendrana Drifts
I don't like gray cities, you can make them look creative like on GTA V , but normally i don't play games to look at trash and random buildings
The overused first forest full of spiders area. This have to end.
There are only so many environments to choose on this life, i like the green grass 🌳

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I agree about snownpeveps OP. There was a short time period in which every AAA game was set in snow (Uncharted 2, AC3, Skyrim, MW2, DS3) that I got kind of sick of it. The blanket of smooth white Kaur sort of takes away from the detail and liveliness that the world could otherwise be filled with. Like fully detailed forest Vs blanket of snow.

I did though, enjoy it in Dead Space 3 as they had actual temperature mechanics around it so it felt like a proper hazard rather than just endless white that slowed your walking speed.

Any night club level tends to be shit. Especially when it's abundantly clear the people making them don't go to many night clubs.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Deserts
Factories/laboratories (probably why I lose interest in the last act of RE games)
Spaceships

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I dont really have a type of area, but if it counts then extremely dark areas.
Tp be more specific when a game has areas that are so dark its difficult to actually see anything, and it makes you question whether or not your tv/monitor is set correctly (even though its never an issue in 99% of other games).

This is made even worse by many first person indie horror style games that love to do this and give you a flashlight, but have no idea how light actually works so its light beam acts like a laser and only illuminates the tiny area directly in front of it.