• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
With Tanabe the producer, Nintendo would be lucky to produce another Metroid game with any appeal at all.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
All these answers are so varied. Some are saying that the whole thing should be revamped, the genre is dead/niche, make it easier, add more characters, make them good, etc. You'd think that the Prime games were never good based on some of these responses sheesh. I think that a game in HD with updated controls and modern design would be enough, but this thread makes it seems like the series is doomed.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Shouldn't marketing be enough? Final Fantasy was never that popular before FF7 in the US, but apparently they marketed the hell out of it and it broke records. Especially when for the US, it jumped from FF "3" to 7.

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Prime 4 was faster than the others and used the counter system introduced on Samus returns maybe mixing it a little with doom glory kills. I hope it doesn't have any online content.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the fear is that the Metroid games were good, phenomenally so, but that alone didn't tend towards great sales, particularly sustained great sales. You had a lot of sales loss after entries like Prime 1, which sold comparatively well.

Maybe today is a different world and with the proper marketing a healthier audience for Metroid will appear. Maybe Switch is the console. Maybe gamers are just ready to be into Metroid now.

I'm pessimistic about that but it would be awesome if it were the case.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to picture Metroid managing to grow its audience by simply "staying the course" when that course has never succeeded in expanding the audience for a sustained period. People that think Nintendo will sell five million copies of a new 2D Metroid or Metroid Prime by just staying the course and offering good marketing should understand this by now. Super Metroid is a great game, but Nintendo will not sell five million copies by just making Super Metroid again and again. Samus Returns, which is by all accounts an excellent remake of Metroid II, didn't come anywhere close to two, three, or four million sold despite being a game that for the most part stays the course. The audience has never been there.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
A great single player like Prime, and add a miltiplayer where you con customise your player with abilities found in Metroid games. Instead of perks like COD, its abilities you can customise. Want to be a grappling hook, wall jumper, morphball , double jumper, choose who you want to be. It something id love to see happening.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Implement an easy mode with navigation for those casuals. They wont stop playing directly.

However dont add character or to much story in the game. Issolation is metroids main strenght. The even dont need to change the formule.

So the only addon what i could see is that you can fly with your ship to different planets in realtime. So a botw like in space

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
If this new Metroid is made by Nintendo EPD, I have a lot of confidence in the youngest new generation of developers in the company. They understand pretty well the trends in the current video game market.

If before the release of 'Splatoon' someone had said that Nintendo was doing an online competitive shooter, people had laugh in his face. But still, Nintendo was able to create an iconic new IP that was a big success even in Japan, a country in which traditionally these type of games don't work as well as in western countries.

If before the release of 'Breath of the Wild' someone had said that Nintendo will be able to make a modern open world game with the ambition of an Ubi Soft or Bethesda game, by using some of the conventions of the genre stablished by western developers, people had laugh in his face. But still, Nintendo was able to produce a game relevant in the current video game market, with impressive critics and winning almost all of the best game of the year recognitions.

An I say that this new generation of developers in Nintendo can create a modern open world FPS by using some of the conventions stablished in games such as 'Deus Ex', 'Prey' or 'Dishonored', by doing the same thing that they made in 'Splatoon' and 'Breath of the Wild'. Which is to add to all of these modern conventions their own flavor and Nintendo way of doing the things in an unique way.

Last edited: