• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Federation Force is that they took it in a direction nobody wanted. They can go in crazy new directions, just don't go chibi, nobody wants chibi when there isn't something to balance it.

FPS with rolling as a major feature for getting around would be a start for an MP mode. SP can be similar, it just needs better way points, clearer objectives, and voice acting (LoZ got VA, so can metroid).

Metroid had VA since Prime 3.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
After FF i am sure fans just want a true Metroid game with no compromises in order to make it appeal to more people. Metroid does not need to be a series with huge appeal. I would rather let it do what it does best in its genre.

tencents

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They should look towards Prey for inspiration for Metroid Prime.

They should create a 3D Metroid that's more in spirit with the 2D games e.g. 3rd person, fast-paced action with nimble platforming. Super Cloudbuilt is exactly the game to look towards to pull off that kind of platforming.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
At this point they can just make a Prime follow up. Add lots of lore, and have a good presentation. The game should sell on name alone (hopefully).

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They should look towards Prey for inspiration for Metroid Prime.

They should create a 3D Metroid that's more in spirit with the 2D games e.g. 3rd person, fast-paced action with nimble platforming. Super Cloudbuilt is exactly the game to look towards to pull off that kind of platforming.
This is Other M.

i honestly hope they expand upon this style some day

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
- Meaningful story (with voice acting) that doesn't rely solely on you scanning a bunch of things to figure it out.
- Bounties to collect, space stations where you can buy/sell stuff/talk to people and get upgrades
- Training wheels/hint system for the casual-core gamers who want to play without getting lost
- Mix of action, exploration, and survival horror.
- New environments that we haven't seen in a Metroid game before (i.e. ruined Sci-Fi city)
- Don't be afraid to change the basic weapons used by Samus so that the multiplayer works.

cryptoadam

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Overwatch metroid edition.

You could make enough different characters with other bounty hunters space pirates metroid aliens federation people all the bosses and so on.

Make a neat 10 to 15 hour campaign and then have the online be an overwatch clone set in the metroid universe.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just make a great game. The mainstream didn't care about Iron Man until 2008 because the first movie was freaking amazing. I have no doubt that Nintendo will completely knock it out of the park.
Nintendo please listen to this person. Don't try for mass appeal by making a crap game.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Chest-high walls and a cover system, a color palette that consists almost exclusively of shades of brown and grey, an epic plot that takes up more than 90% of the play time, a multiplayer mode where you're a space pirate trapped on an island with 99 other space pirates and you have to fight to be the last one standing, and lootboxes. That cost several times as much as the base game in order to unlock all of the visor colors for Samus, who is Gamestop pre-order only for the first six months.

I am 100% serious.
I am not 100% serious.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They can raise long-term investment with a well-designed arena multiplayer. Switch could use a solid FPS multiplayer franchise similar to Halo, and Metroid Prime is ripe for ideas.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Just make a great game. The mainstream didn't care about Iron Man until 2008 because the first movie was freaking amazing. I have no doubt that Nintendo will completely knock it out of the park.

This makes little sense for this series considering nearly every single one is a good/great game. At least two are considered by quite a few gamers as the greatest game of all time.

Super and Prime are quite respected as such.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The Switch is a pretty popular console right now, put out an amazing prime game and I think you'll see the excitement and recognition of the series reach new heights.

Atrarock

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I guess you found out when I stopped playing
So you stopped at Super Metroid?

If I had to put it my 2 cents and if we want to talk about good starting points for people, Prime 3 is actually a good starting point because of how it's structured. If they like that then send them to Prime 1/2.

As for the topic itself, just make something structurally sound. I don't nitpick to hell and back like I usually see people saying how one thing ruins everything. Make something good/cohesive and I'm all good.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
By the time the Prime 4 releases, the Switch may be in 30+ million hands that are equally familiar and new to Nintendo franchises. They've had biggest female protagonist in gaming for forever and now would be the perfect time for Nintendo to make her stand out.
Eh idk. I think Lara Croft could be the most popular female character. I think if you ask the average person who Samus is they'd have no idea.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I don't think there needs to be any drastic changes. Just market the shit out of it like MS does with Halo.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Hire good writers/cinematographers.

Most players need good writing to stay invested . Not insulting the series biggest audience like Other M did would be a good start

2. Make it a T Rated shooter

There arent that many family friendly shooters out there despite Shooters being gaming's dominant genre. Also the current leading T rated shooters availiable (Overwatch, Denstiny, Halo) all do huge numbers

3. Play other 3D metroidvania games and see what they did well, and what they did poorly.
Batman Arkham Asylum, TR2013, Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, Dark Souls. These are all good starting points

4. Remove some of the sense of isolation

This will be controversial amoung core players, but player companions exist in most popular games for a reason. Wandering a mysterious scifi world alone like in MP1 sucks. Having companions IE Cortana, Ghost ect or a character that talks to themselves helps

5. Simplify the maze.

Average players dont want to constantly feel lost/isolated. They just want to progress through the game/story. Let most of the harder challenges be optional branches of the maze rather then requirements.

6. Completely reinvent the genre.

Regression as progression is currently extremely popular IE PUBG. Starting Metroid as a Pseudo open world game and having players create the maze as they progress and lose abilities would be a completely new fresh take on the series.

It would also be hugely appealing for speed runners as creating the maze gives it practically endless possibilities for routeing.

This is more like, why bother making a Metroid game? These ideas change so much of what Metroid is while trying to chase the mainstream that it would likely not catch either. And you don't really need to cater or make appeals to speedrunners, and you'll even find that there are some in that community that don't want to be catered to in ways many suggest. And Metroid games get speed ran a lot already anyway, because they are good games and the people playing them love them.

Removing some of the sense of isolation is not something I would personally want either. Accurate to call it controversial, because no one wants some person or computer talking while in the dead silence of space and a dangerous planet. One of the things that makes Metroid is the isolation, the fearful feeling of being alone on an uninhabitable planet surrounded by deadly creatures. Metroid has always evoked a kind of deadly curiosity and horroresque feeling to its atmosphere. They instead could work on that more. Fusion was intense with fear for me and not knowing when SA-X would appear as you were now the hunted, rather than the hunter. Much of Metroid was inspired by Alien and they can still take more from that.

What Nintendo should really do is embrace Metroid's niche status and work to grow it from there. Even if it means scaling back in some areas, just so long as Metroid can stick around. I understand the need for growth and the need to change some things up, but change too much and too fast and it just winds up hurting all sides. I think a more consistent release schedule of Metroid could do wonders and that is something where Metroid has had its most issues. Metroid will skip generations and we'll get a new entry later, or a short burst of new entries, then hiatus for some time again. That should be the first big change they should work to fix.

However, I am not opposed to changes to Metroid, and they could try out those changes and ideas in spinoffs and side games. I just can only hope that the community will actually accept those spinoff games. Because if they can't and continually reject spinoffs and side games, then they will also be holding Metroid back from growing. Because spinoffs and side games can do a good deal in expanding a community and expanding mindshare about a series. Not to mention side games can also act as side stories and bring even more depth to Metroid's universe.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'm happy for Nintendo to try to widen the scope, but I'd be just as happy for Metroid to stick to its core strengths. Eat the cost, Nintendo. You have a number of gazillion-selling games. It's important to keep a wide repertoire of game styles in the library. Obviously we can't expect a game every year, but once every few years would be nice. Keep both Metroid 2D and 3D games going.

P.S. Samus should've been in MARIO Kart 8. Especially after Link got in. She was robbed.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
This is more like, why bother making a Metroid game? These ideas change so much of what Metroid is while trying to chase the mainstream that it would likely not catch either. And you don't really need to cater or make appeals to speedrunners, and you'll even find that there are some in that community that don't want to be catered to in ways many suggest. And Metroid games get speed ran a lot already anyway, because they are good games and the people playing them love them.

Removing some of the sense of isolation is not something I would personally want either. Accurate to call it controversial, because no one wants some person or computer talking while in the dead silence of space and a dangerous planet. One of the things that makes Metroid is the isolation, the fearful feeling of being alone on an uninhabitable planet surrounded by deadly creatures. Metroid has always evoked a kind of deadly curiosity and horroresque feeling to its atmosphere. They instead could work on that more. Fusion was intense with fear for me and not knowing when SA-X would appear as you were now the hunted, rather than the hunter. Much of Metroid was inspired by Alien and they can still take more from that.

What Nintendo should really do is embrace Metroid's niche status and work to grow it from there. Even if it means scaling back in some areas, just so long as Metroid can stick around. I understand the need for growth and the need to change some things up, but change too much and too fast and it just winds up hurting all sides. I think a more consistent release schedule of Metroid could do wonders and that is something where Metroid has had its most issues. Metroid will skip generations and we'll get a new entry later, or a short burst of new entries, then hiatus for some time again. That should be the first big change they should work to fix.

However, I am not opposed to changes to Metroid, and they could try out those changes and ideas in spinoffs and side games. I just can only hope that the community will actually accept those spinoff games. Because if they can't and continually reject spinoffs and side games, then they will also be holding Metroid back from growing. Because spinoffs and side games can do a good deal in expanding a community and expanding mindshare about a series. Not to mention side games can also act as side stories and bring even more depth to Metroid's universe.

Lets look at these steps 1 by 1.

1. Hire good writers.

This shouldn't be controversial. Metroid has had Voice Acting since Prime 2, and it goes full VA in Prime 3 and Other M. Point 1 basically says " Don't screw up the things that are already in the game"

2. Make it a T rated shooter

Metroid Prime is a T rated shooter. This is an established part of the series identity. This shouldn't be controversial

3. Learn from others

Learning is an important part of innovating. this shouldn't be controversial.

4. Removing some of the sense of Isolation

This is somewhat controversial, but it really shouldn't be. The Last Guardian manages to convey a sense of isolation despite having 2 characters working cooperatively. So does MGSV. In Metroid games the Isolation and unnerving nature literally makes people turn off the game. giving players a minimalist AI companion or listening to Samus' internal voice doesn't remove the Isolation/survival horror elements IE TR2013 or PoPWW. It does however differentiate Samus as a character separate from the player, and would give the game a better solution to issue hints for lost players.

5. Make it easier

having a layered maze with an accessible main branch and more difficult side branches that allow sequence skipping or other faster routes will only be controversial to elitist players who want a game made for them. However if there isn't enough of these players to justify a Metroid game getting made, then they are going to have to get over it in order to continue to see games in the series get made.

6. This was just me throwing some crazy idea's at the wall. That was the point. to suggest Nintendo examine what the core elements of the series actually are and to try something fresh. Obviously the Survival Horror elements are beloved and need to be kept.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They should create a 3D Metroid that's more in spirit with the 2D games e.g. 3rd person, fast-paced action with nimble platforming

That's not a metroid prime game though.

Metroid prime is the subseries they use when it's a behind the visor game, so I can tell you with 100% certainty that is not what prime 4 will be.

Gabe90

Oct 27, 2017
How about releasing a Metroid All Stars on Switch, including Metroid, Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Fusion, Metroid 2, and Samus Returns?

Should play well on Switch.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Call it Metroid Hunter World.

More seriously, an extensive online mode. Maybe something Salmon Run style.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Not a chance. Monster Hunter became big when it was played on multiplayer locally on Japan then word of mouth spread and it became big as it is now. Remove it now and you sell a ton less.

Creating a great game doesn't cuts it for Metroid to gain wide appeal. Some suggestions already made on this thread would indeed increase it's appeal like Multiplayer, less isolation, bigger focus on story and characters although die hard Metroid fans hate them.

Then again die hard Zelda fans were against open world then BOTW became the fastest selling game on the series...
Die hard Zelda fans have been calling for open world for years. The first game was open world. Zelda is an adventure game set in a fantasy land. Open world is perfect for zelda. Metroid got a multiplayer game. It's called federation force. It was a horrible flop. That's not what Metroid needs imo. Open world wouldn't feel good either.

Metroid is supposed to be dark and cramped and moody and solitary. Unlike zelda, or monster Hunter, these are to me what defines Metroid. It's not a buddy game. It's not a lighthearted adventure with a cast if characters. No, Samus is always alone with a single difficult mission. I would be ok with more story and more mysteries to unlock than previous MP's. Do more physics. Do a really strong AI Hunter enemy that's always after you. Do Zero G. Or perhaps do a bounty Hunter system and let Samus hunt random bounties. These things fit the isolated bounty Hunter theme. I think there are many things they could do to advance the series without trying to turn it into something it's not.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
- Make the single player mode completely linear and 3 hours long, tops
- More shooting
- Less scanning
- Loot boxes in online multiplayer
- Loadouts in multiplayer
- Ability to "prestige" in multiplayer
- Make the main character a bald male space marine with zero personality instead of a strong woman

/s

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Just make a really good hardcore game. I think the audience is there, especially on Switch, for hardcore games. I would make Prime 4 a back to basics type game. As Nintendo has already said they will, focus on isolation and mood and hopefully really tight controls.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How about before Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo releases two Metroid collections on the Switch.

The first could be a collection of the 2D Metroid games, then the second collection a Prime trilogy.

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Expand the spin-off story, maybe make an RTS based on federation force? Make a canon anime about childhood samus like FFXV prequel?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
They perfected it too early on, there's nowhere to go really. The only way forward is back.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Give me a reason to care. The series has been around for over thirty years; what does this new one do that's special (other than be a Nintendo game with "Metroid" in the title)?

Give me a world I've never seen, or a story I've never heard, or a mechanic I've never played. Make it fresh and exciting to people who aren't already fans.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Outside of leveraging the IP in other media there is not that much they can do without changing the series into something else. Metroid is a hard scifi series with challenging combat and intricate level layouts. As a game there is always going to be a limited audience.

They tried to simplify the game, sex-up Samus and focus on cutscenes with Other M and they created an abomination that sold like putrid dog shit and put the series into an immediate stasis. Some series are just not meant to be blockbusters.

RootPith

Dec 21, 2017
Make a great game. A GOTY contender. To be fair ever since the original Metroid Prime we're yet to see a masterpiece entry. Samus Returns was decent at best, imo it's not even that.

Social media and reaction from people sells the game for you. If they put out another BOTW/SMO level game they wouldn't need to worry about the sales. With a solid online multiplayer it can easily sell 5 million.