• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there are very many of those types of characters this gen. I guess Tracer and Geralt? Possibly Knack if you want to be generous/humorous. Or the beast from The Last Guardian if only because of how long people were waiting for it.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne hunter

the-hunter.jpg

This is the first thing that I thought of "Bloodborne man!"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh,Geralt is from 2007. Does it really scream (define) this gen tho? I feel like characters from new IPs like HZD and Splatoon are a bit more iconic than him.

OP says what characters stuck with me though... W3 is one of the best games this generation too, dunno why that wouldn't count.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't have to for you :)
I'm not even the one who originally posted it, so not even sure why you're coming for me specifically lmao. I just agreed with them.
If I pressured you I didn't mean to, it was more or less because you said "iconic design" and to me, a cap with eyes on it is not that iconic on the design front. That said, feel free to feel the way you do without worry.

it's a character from a generation-defining game, hence it defined a generation. Odyssey's whole thing is built around Cappy, both with the throwing mechanic in terms of have a projectile or something to jump off of as well as the capture mechanic.

That's understandable.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
If I pressured you I didn't mean to, it was more or less because you said "iconic design" and to me, a cap with eyes on it is not that iconic on the design front. That said, feel free to feel the way you do without worry.
It's not necessarily 100% the design itself, but the fact that it has defined this generation's Mario games (which is a huge franchise on its own). The whole game and its mechanics were built around Cappy. I probably should have made myself clearer on that anyway.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know who some of the characters in the OP are lol.

Gen speak is complicated cos the Wii U is technically part of the same gen as the XBone and PS4 while the Switch is currently the only new gen machine.

Then again, the OP included Tom Nook for the GCN gen, while they actually from the N64 generation (Animal Forest first came out on that system) so who knows what is going on in this thread.

So ignoring gens and just thinking about the past handful of years, I'd say some iconic characters include:

Steve from Minecraft
The inklings (in Japan)
Miis
Mr Eyeballs and Teeth from Assassin's Creed

I want to say Sackboy, but he seems to have been lost in recent years. Sony does have a problem with dropping things like a hot potato.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Shovel Knight for me, seeing as I've played various SK campaigns on at least half a dozen of this generations platforms.

OP
OP
flkRaven

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know who some of the characters in the OP are lol.

Gen speak is complicated cos the Wii U is technically part of the same gen as the XBone and PS4 while the Switch is currently the only new gen machine.

Then again, the OP included Tom Nook for the GCN gen, while they actually from the N64 generation (Animal Forest first came out on that system) so who knows what is going on in this thread.

Which characters don't you know?

Also, this isn't some academic discussion. It's not like there are strict rules and guidelines for what characters can define a generation. I feel like Geralt and The Witcher 3 epitomize this gen far more than the previous games would. Likewise, I doubt many people think about the japanese only N64 release of the first Animal Crossing that came out some months before the gamecube release.

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That last gen roster is lacking a Big Daddy.

As for this gen, I'd say:

• Titans from Titanfall
  • Ghosts from Destiny
  • Tracer from Overwatch
  • Aloy from Horizon
And, so far, that's it.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think more in line with the big 3's marketing. When they go to market they show the iconic stuff. The ones OP mentions from last generations is the most marketed.

If you see Sony ads they often show Nathan Drake , BB Hunter , Aloy, Knack , etc.

Msoft shows off Chief , JD Fenix now , and Forza.

Nintendo currently goes big with Mario, Zelda , and Arms.

So I agree with first post to mention BB Hunter.

Iconic amongst gamers is a different ball park.

I see a lot of BB Hunter , AC Origins Baylek , 2B , Aloy, and PUBG guy. Minecraft is still iconic too.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Which characters don't you know?
Third, fifth and sixth characters posted.

I should note I've only played a handful of the games the characters you've posted come from (heck, none from your last gen picks) and yet I recognise them. Those three however are literally the first time I've seen any of them.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
5758012-botw.jpg

This Link has almost become more iconic than his Green Clad brethren. Whenever, you think of the Switch, or even Nintendo, this is the first thing I see and it really represents peoples first Nintendo character, or a call of returning Nintendo Fans. Any gamer could instantly tell you that this guy is from the new Zelda game, and that is pure gold in its design.

OP
OP
flkRaven

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Third, fifth and sixth characters posted.

I should note I've only played a handful of the games the characters you've posted come from (heck, none from your last gen picks) and yet I recognise them. Those three however are literally the first time I've seen any of them.

-> The third is Fizzie from Sunset Overdrive, the 5th is a Titan from Titanfall, and the 6th is the Ghost from Destiny.
-> Last gen characters are Ezio from Assassin's Creed, Marcus Fenix from Gears of War, Skyrim guy, Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Commander(s) Sheppard from Mass Effect, Minecraft/Portal/Splattoon

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
tracer_videothumb.jpg

I'm not sure how many of Overwatch's cast qualify but surely Tracer does. She's the figurehead of the franchise and also one of the most prominent lgbt character in the gaming industry.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne Dude seems like a weird choice to me. I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

I've never played Nier but I know 2B. I've never played Horizon but I know Aloy. I've never played Overwatch but I know half the cast by name and the other by "oh that bow and arrow dude, oh the cowboy." So a lot of these make sense to me, but Bloodborne Dude is like Aiden Pierce levels of "iconic."

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is one of the worst character designs I have ever seen in life.
Just the thought of that muppet clomping around the fields in his partial plate armour, massive boots and oddball half-vest underwear combo is enough to put me off Xenoblade 2, let alone the busy HUD or the ridiculous blade outfits.

Drop Dead Ken

Nov 16, 2017
Throwing my hat in for John Marston being added to last gen iconic characters. I'm guessing Spider-Man will be added sometime in the future for this gen if all works out.