• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone knows Koji Kondo. Everyone loves Koji Kondo. But Nintendo is more than Koji Kondo.

Let's take the opportunity to mention names of composers and their works that we love just as much.

My star composer has to be Hajime Wakai. My fav work of his is no doubt Pokemon Stadium 2. His first solo project. His themes such as the Free Battle/Poke Cup Battles 1-3 theme is some of THE finest in the franchise, and also songs like Prof. Oak's Lab ad even the Options Menu theme are just something else.

And of course HAL's elite such as Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa, Shogo Sakai, and Tadashi Ikegami for their work on Super Smash Bros. 1, Melee, and Kirby Air Ride are the stuff of legends. Too many to list.

Fuck it, have a few!

Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Saffron City (Smash 64)
Beanstalk Park (Kirby Air Ride)

Go for it, what are YOUR fav Nintendo composers and songs? :)

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yōko Shimomura, she is well known for Kingdom Hearts, but I love her work on the Mario & Luigi series.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoever made all the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook songs for Splatoon is legendary. I listen to those daily. And normally i hate vocaloid/voice filter like songs but i just love these. And the general OST is amazing aswell.

My favorites from both idol groups:
Squid Sisters

Off the Hook

Yōko Shimomura, she is well known for Kingdom Hearts, but I love her work on the Mario & Luigi series.
Oh yes! i love her work in M&L and all games she makes OST for she is god tier amongst composers imo.

Koji Kondo also is pretty darn amazing.
And that Animal Crossing composer i don't even know her name:/ but her work on Breath of the Wild was stellar. She deserves some spotlight for sure.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The IS crew for their works in Paper Mario and Fire Emblem.

And Tsunku with Rhythm Heaven.

I Love You, My One and Only is JPOP goodness:

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite Mario game, and it's soundtrack is commonly the most heavily praised part about it, but everyone always credits Koji Kondo for it even though he didn't direct most of the orchestrated tracks.

That honor goes to Mahito Yokota, who has also worked on TLoZ: Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, 3D World, and Dynasty Warriors.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite Mario game, and it's soundtrack is commonly the most heavily praised part about it, but everyone always credits Koji Kondo for it even though he didn't direct most of the orchestrated tracks.

That honor goes to Mahito Yokota, who has also worked on TLoZ: Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, 3D World, and Dynasty Warriors.

Jungle Beat is my fav EPD Tokyo soundtrack if I'm honest, which I think Mahito also headed. That remix of Jungle Hijinx is truly special.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Yasuaki Iwata is pretty new to the company but he did a lot of arranging for Mario Kart 8 and 3D World, and then composed a lot of the BoTW soundtrack which I think is great, as well as Byte and Barq's theme from Arms

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hiroki Morishita and Takeru Kanazaki at Intelligent Systems. I think their work has really elevated FE music, and their willingness to collaborate with external composers has been a benefit for the franchise. Morishita's great tracks include Dusk Falls, and for Kanazaki, his arrangement of Twilight of the Godsfor Shadows of Valentia is easily one of the greatest pieces in Fire Emblem history.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Hajime Wakai (with credit to Koji) mainly for their work in Starfox 64. The soundtrack for that game ranges from 'the mystery of deep space' in sector X to intense space battles with Star Wolf theme.