• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Cadence of Hyrule
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Kingdom Hearts 3
Apex Legends
Days Gone
Metro Exodus
Blood and Truth
My Friend Pedro
Judgement
Dreams
Observation
The Outer Wilds
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Super Mario Maker 2
Katana Zero

5) Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled

4) Mortal Kombat 11

3) Resident Evil 2 Remake

2) Devil May Cry 5

1) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

As we're seeing a lot of publications post their mid-year GOTYs, we see a lot of usual suspects. Nonetheless, it's good for a large youtube outlet to give credit to smaller titles like, Judgement, Bloodstained and games that I think were better than anticipated, like Days Gone.

How many of these games would be on your list?

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I always tend to be on the opposite side of Scottt Tailford from WC Gaming, because i thing he's veeeeeery complacient with just the vague ideas of a game and tends to forgive a whole game if just a minute or two clicked a little with him.

Days Gone is not even a good or memorable game, Bloodstained is alraight but it never gets into "really good" territory, and Katana Zero begins to be repetitive before the halfway point due to it's lack of depth.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It really has been a good year.

I'd put Samurai Shodown and World War Z above most of those games though.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get the hate for Days Gone at all. I picked it up for 50% off from Newegg a few weeks ago and have put in probably 15 ~ 20 hours. I'm absolutely loving it. It's rough around the edges, but is definitely in my top 3 gaming experiences so far this year alongside RE2 and Sekiro.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get any of the My Friend Pedro praise. It's... Okay for the type of game it is?

Poor Ace Combat 7 being snubbed :(

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't love the number 1 and 2 on this list. Honestly this year has been very meh for me, only the outer wilds really grabbed me.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really need to play days gone .

Gameranx put it as number 3 best game in first half of 2019

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Solid list. For me it is Sekiro> Metro Exodus> DMC5 > RE2. Only games I have played so far.
Will definitely check out A Plague Tail and Judgment when I get some time.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
Days Gone
Judgement
Dreams
A Plague Tale: Innocence
5) Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
3) Resident Evil 2 Remake
1) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

These mean the list is good. Ace Combat 7 deserves a mention though.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
As we're seeing a lot of publications post their mid-year GOTYs, we see a lot of usual suspects. Nonetheless, it's good for a large youtube outlet to give credit to smaller titles like, Judgement, Bloodstained and games that I think were better than anticipated, like Days Gone.
Reading it again and it feels like a very safe top 20, and their inclusions of 'smaller' games (though I wouldn't say that Judgement and Bloodstained fit that for me) don't feel very out there and not really deserving of that much credit. 20 is also quite a long list for just 6 months into the year, doesn't really show much decisiveness.

I'm not saying the games listed are bad, but I think it correlates quite strongly with games that have the most public awareness that weren't also received quite poorly on release - the only two that diverge at all from that are Observation and A Plague Tale: Innocence (both great games but seemingly pushed less)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, Plagues tale is 29$ on PSN on sale.is it worth it ?? If anyone has played it please let me know.thanks

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how these games fare in the overall GOTY results on this site and even elsewhere. There's some great and some not so great games there in that top 20 but I feel that if we did a GOTY voting now it'll look very, very different indeed compared to the one that will happen in January. Plus the whole passage of time thing that makes it harder for these early year releases to stay fresh in the mind and all.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always tend to be on the opposite side of Scottt Tailford from WC Gaming, because i thing he's veeeeeery complacient with just the vague ideas of a game and tends to forgive a whole game if just a minute or two clicked a little with him.

Days Gone is not even a good or memorable game, Bloodstained is alraight but it never gets into "really good" territory, and Katana Zero begins to be repetitive before the halfway point due to it's lack of depth.

Katana ZERO absolutely deserves to be on the list. It's an incredible experience and it never became repetitive to me whatsoever. It's far and away my most memorable gaming experience of the year.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
That's a really good list to be fair. Hard to fault it. Shame we won't be seeing Devotion get its due though, what with the controversy and the fact you can't even buy it anymore.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Not bad, but Outer Wilds might be one of my favorite games ever at this point. I'd take that over just about any games on this list

Edit: the most surprising thing about this list is remembering that kingdom hearts 3 didn't come out 5 years ago. Jeez time has been weird this year

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Their top 4 is my top 4, but with RE2 taking the #1 spot. I'm torn between Sekiro and DMC. Love MK too.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's barely anything on that list that interests me. It's the worst year in gaming this gen by many miles

The last few years by this point we had games like Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, and Arkham Knight for 2015, Uncharted 4 and Doom for 2016, Breath of the Wild and Horizon for 2017, and God of War for 2018.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get the hate for Days Gone at all. I picked it up for 50% off from Newegg a few weeks ago and have put in probably 15 ~ 20 hours. I'm absolutely loving it. It's rough around the edges, but is definitely in my top 3 gaming experiences so far this year alongside RE2 and Sekiro.

Same for me too. I got the platinum and thought it was like a really good open-world version of TLOU (in terms of gameplay). Story and characters were excellent.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same for me too. I got the platinum and thought it was like a really good open-world version of TLOU (in terms of gameplay). Story and characters were excellent.

That's exactly how I feel! An open-world TLOU. Feels very similar in a lot of roughs. Sure it can be rough in some areas, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Mortal Kombat 11 is looking to be one of my most favourite games this year as Super Mario Maker 2 falls far into the background. With respect to Mario Maker, building levels felt so intuitive on the WiiU that I'm not really willing to spend long sessions building stages on the Switch. MK11 is perhaps the finest entry in years and deserves a place alongside Trilogy, Armageddon and 2 as the standard bearers. It's just quality entertainment.

I really want to try out Judgement as I suspect this will shoot to the top of the list immediately much like Yakuza 0. Nothing else on the list is really exciting to me. I suppose Sekiro will get its deserved accolades even while no one will complete it except the true believers.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Days gone isn't an "era game" at all.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's hard to really figure out what that means. As far as that GOTY question thread went, Days Gone was rarely in the top 5.

It's probably going to be 1) RE2 2) Sekiro 3) DMC5 by the looks of it.

Which is also exactly the results to 2019's most anticipated thread we had here.
It's just not the type of game that a big amount of era regulars like. Like not platinum, soulsborne, etc.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Good list. But even so I feel like DMC 5 is being slept on in the overall audience but thats to be expected for the genre I guess.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd switch 1 and 3. RE2 was super polished,
Sekiro was 85% there but had a few issues. Love them both tho.