• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

malyse

Community Resetter
Also, tell me about games that represent unusual cultural backgrounds. Games made by people of said culture are preferred to people who just really like that culture but aren't of it.

So we have Raji: An Ancient Epic based on Ancient India, developed by Nodding Heads Games in Pune, India.

We have Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan with a clear African influence, developed by Kiro'o Games, a team in Cameroon.

You could also argue that Remember Me has a very French aesthetic.

As for who I'd like to see make a game?

I think a Brazilian game would be hella interesting. That or Singapore which is one of the most ridiculously cool looking places around.
singapore.jpg.jpg

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Anywhere that isn't the usual suspects could be interesting, now that you mention it.

I don't think the developer, Minority Media Inc., is based in Brazil, but your OP reminded me of a game I've had in my backlog for awhile now:

Papo & Yo
act2_02.1345071693.jpg

The game involves a young Brazilian boy Quico who, while hiding from his abusive, alcoholic father, finds himself taken to a dream-like favela, and meeting a normally docile creature, Monster. The player, as Quico, can interact with Monster and manipulate the buildings of the favela in unique ways, such as by stacking individual shacks on each other, to complete puzzles and progress in the game. Papo & Yo was designed by Vander Caballero, who created the story based on his own past in dealing with an abusive, alcoholic father.

It sounds really interesting, and I should get to it soon.

Kona

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Chile, but:

I'd like to see a game where south america is not a single city in the middle of a jungle.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any Eastern cultures should make more horror games, DreadOut comes to mind immediately as a stand out extremely creative title

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
Ill be a bit selfish and say gaucho - criollo culture from spanish colonies like Argentina and Peru.
Also, brazilian culture is outstanding and somehow is minified and misrepresented to capoeira.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
JHY should write a text adventure sageuk just for me :P Although completed tragedy doesn't usually fit games...people'd have to accept it.

It would also help towards having more interesting female characters in games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anywhere that isn't the usual suspects could be interesting, now that you mention it.

I don't think the developer, Minority Media Inc., is based in Brazil, but your OP reminded me of a game I've had in my backlog for awhile now:

Papo & Yo
act2_02.1345071693.jpg

It sounds really interesting, and I should get to it soon.

I really enjoyed Papa and Yo. Yes you should get to it soon. ;P

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that is underrepresented would be fine with me, especially Asian and African cultures.

On another note i'd love to see an Arctic open world survival game, with fishing, exploration and Happy Feeting.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
A AAA dark fantasy action/adventure RPG based on Juggalo mythology. Like Horizon and The Witcher 3 but with more faygo, neden, joker card entities and chicken hunting.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wanna see more horror or souls like games set or from places like the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe and SE Asia, there's gotta be some rich history to tap into and be inspired by

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna see more horror or souls like games set or from places like the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe and SE Asia, there's gotta be some rich history to tap into and be inspired by
Yeah, I would love this.

I would also like to see fantasy games set in these places using their legends, folktales, and myths.

Last edited:

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Never Alone (Kisima Inŋitchuŋa) is a game based on Inuit legends and culture. I think it's pretty wonderful:

I'd like to see a Japanese developer respectfully represent Ainu culture in a game. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Never thought about Singapore being in a game, but that would be pretty cool. Its a unique melting pot.

I'd like some games with Central Asian cultures, or South Asian. Really most of Asia. The only Asian games we really get are about Japan.

Jan 7, 2018
This image pretty much sums up why, as a Brazilian, I'm 100% okay with Brazil never showing up on games. It's always represented as favelas, favelas and favelas, when it's a super diverse country (I'd say only the US beats us in this aspect) with many realities, and favelas are just one of them. I'd love to see a game representing brazil's countryside (mainly Minas Gerais and Goias), which is probably my favorite place in the World, I'd love to see the modern and even sort of hipster side of São Paulo represented, I'd love to see other forms of the country's sad poverty such as the "Sertão Nordestino" represented, i'd love to see the unique culture of the South Represented, I'd love to see a contrast between the huge cities of Belem and Manaus and the Amazon rainforest just outside of them, but no, it's always favelas and Rio de Janeiro. The very few times they represent other parts of Brazil, they Rio de Janeirosify them (see Max Payne 3). This is just cliche to me. I'd love to see my country represented in other ways, but it's always the same dead horse.

PS. I mean no disrespect to the developers of this game, never played it, have no opinion on it other than the fact that they (going only from this image) seem to represent my country on a cliched way, and am 100% sure this has no interference on its quality whatsoever.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The team was Canadian so it hardly fits the intentions of this thread.
You said preferrably. However my point is not many other cities or cultures are ever going to get the triple AAA treatment, yet alone an open world. That's why I included China in MY post when there are other Asian countries and cultures that are far less represented that I would rather experience.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
This image pretty much sums up why, as a Brazilian, I'm 100% okay with Brazil never showing up on games. It's always represented as favelas, favelas and favelas, when it's a super diverse country (I'd say only the US beats us in this aspect) with many realities, and favelas are just one of them. I'd love to see a game representing brazil's countryside (mainly Minas Gerais and Goias), which is probably my favorite place in the World, I'd love to see the modern and even sort of hipster side of São Paulo represented, I'd love to see other forms of the country's sad poverty such as the "Sertão Nordestino" represented, i'd love to see the unique culture of the South Represented, I'd love to see a contrast between the huge cities of Belem and Manaus and the Amazon rainforest just outside of them, but no, it's always favelas and Rio de Janeiro. The very few times they represent other parts of Brazil, they Rio de Janeirosify them (see Max Payne 3). This is just clicle to me. I'd love to see my country represented in other ways, but it's always the same dead horse.

PS. I mean no disrespect to the developers of this game, never played it, have no opinion on it other than the fact that they (going only from this image) seem to represent my country on a cliched way, and am 100% sure this has no interference on its quality whatsoever.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I could see how that'd be frustrating. If I had to guess, I'd say the developers like the favelas due to how eye catching and intricate they are, architecturally. Nonetheless, it'd be nice to see other regions in future depictions of Brazil.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm from New Zealand, so I'd like to see a proper crack at doing a game based on Maori mythology.
I know there was some Maori influence in Mark of Kri, but that was kind of a mish mash. Gimme it raw

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
West Africa, Inca, Aztec, Maya, Ottoman (don't mention Revelation please..), Charrua, Mapuche, Guarani, Ethiopia, Bosnia... there is so much potential.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
I would love to see an indigenous Australian game. Only if it was developed by an indigenous team from the nation where it's set of course.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black folk in general. I'd love a game like Witcher or Horizon with an African backdrop.