• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people calling them "free men" a lot. So when you did the 99-life trick where bounce on the turtle shells in Mario, we'd say you got "99 free men", while a 1-up mushroom was a "free man", and so on.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always used 1up, but I remember my parents saying "extra man" or "free man"

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
An 'extra life'. But then I started out playing the Dizzy games rather than Mario so it was probably 'Eggstra lives' knowing them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always called them "extra lives" in everything except Mario, where they're obviously a 1-Up.

Anyone who calls it a "free man" is untrustworthy and should be banned from society.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
An extra life, occasionally a 1up.

That said I have friends that still say to this day "free guy". One of them also says "I've won that" when he means completing a game.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
Free Man

edit to say this was back in the day and I haven't called it that in a long time.

Monroe Kelly

Oct 28, 2017
Free man is singular, extra lives for plural.

So when my uncle would do the turtle shell trick, he got free lives. When I got a 1-up, I got a free man.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here in Spain, back in the day, they were those weird parasites at the arcades who always said: ¿Me dejas un muñeco? That'll roughly translate as : Can I have one...
Fuck this is pretty hard to translate muñeco is the masculine for doll but it doesn't make any sense. But what they wanted is to play 1up of your game.
Anyways apart of those people, I just called "a life"

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Usually extra life, but one of my friends influenced me to call them 'man' / 'extra man' in the day (NES).

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, maybe extra man is the English equivalent for "muñeco" after all

lol

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They were just lives for me. I played almost entirely on PC when I was a kid, I don't think the "1up" terminology was used there much.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
1up.
My cousins used "free man" a lot, though, they also called levels/stages "boards" which never caught on with me.