• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you guys think of the Forspoken demo?

• I liked the demo

Votes: 181 26.8%
  • I did not like the demo

Votes: 360 53.3%
  • It reminds me of Babylon's Fall

Votes: 80 11.9%
  • I will buy on promotion, the game is not worth the full price

Votes: 139 20.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 67800

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Bad demo. I feel like they should have made a more structured demo or just not do one since I'm assuming that would have taken up a bunch of resources.

Maybe instead spend more time on showing the game off via videos?

It's a hard pass for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere NEAR as bad as Babylon's Fall, but it's a bad demo. It doesn't teach you how to play the game well at all, and the core mechanics just aren't satisfying enough to make digging in deeper worth the effort.

The weak peashooter spell being your default attack method was just a conceptual mistake and everything else seems to spiral out of that initial poor design choice.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed it. Reminded me of Infamous a little, took a few mins to get used to the combat but after I got the hang of it I was having a good time!

Mar 23, 2018
It looked pretty good but ran poorly on PS5. I turned on performance mode and the graphics turned into a PS4 launch game. No joke, it reminded me of AC Black Flag PS4 version. I guess at least it run pretty well. But the open world was incredibly boring and barren. Some of the powers are really cool, like creating the fire ring around you is a dope idea. It went from maybe interested in it someday, to probably never going to play it. The opposite effect you want from a demo.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The demo impressions have been pretty much overwhelmingly negative everywhere

I personally wouldn't even buy the game at a deep discount

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad demo due to it's lack of structure, and lack of remapping buttons (the lack of which I hope is a Demo only thing). But I am enjoying my time with it, I love running around and wrapping my head around the combat but being unable to remap buttons is stifling my progress (as I think I'd have a better time moving some controller inputs around) but again I'm really enjoying it and while it isn't for me I can see the vast empty space be a downer for other players so I'm a bit worried about that in a sense though not personally as I'm enjoying it.

I do wish she'd run faster when not dashing but it does make it more striking by comparison when you are. But I did see stick sensitivity options, think I need to adjust that too.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I liked the demo, though I thought there'd be more diversity in spells than there seem to be. Seems like she'll get access to the additional elements and spell types through the bosses, so it'll be JUST earth for a while, then Fire and so on. Skill trees wheren't as deep as I was hoping, BUT the customization of the gear looks decent. My only real complaint is the block/counter system is very awkward to utilize.

Tempered expectations, but still excited. It's why I like these demos because now I can properly set expectations.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The comparison to Babylon's Fall is completely off base. That said the demo was fine. Took awhile to actually get used to it's gameplay and they throw a lot at you. I would say that the combat is very unique and the exploration is... also there. I wouldn't say it feels like FFXV but it definitely feels like the next game by the team who made FFXV, you know? I think people willing to accept a more experimental and less polished take on action rpgs will probably have a really good time. But those looking for the next Elden Ring or FFVII Remake should probably wait for a sale.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The comparison to Babylon's Fall is completely off base. That said the demo was fine. Took awhile to actually get used to it's gameplay and they throw a lot at you. I would say that the combat is very unique and the exploration is... also there. I wouldn't say it feels like FFXV but it definitely feels like the next game by the team who made FFXV, you know? I think people willing to accept a more experimental and less polished take on action rpgs will probably have a really good time. But those looking for the next Elden Ring or FFVII Remake should probably wait for a sale.

I wasn't looking for the next elden ring I just wanted a good game and forspoken is definitely not that

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I wasn't looking for the next elden ring I just wanted a good game and forspoken is definitely not that
I had an okay time with the demo. I think if the game is JUST that all the time then it'll be a miss for me. But if it comes out and there's more to see, I think the foundations here can work. I just need to hear that it has a serviceable story and some more variety in what you do and I'll probably jump on at some point. But I'm not exactly rushing out to pre-order it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they did a demo because the gameplay was the only thing I was interested in with this game and after playing it I'm out entirely. It just didn't feel good to play.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy for the people who liked it.

I am also happy for my curiosity to be satiated and now I know it's not something I want at launch, or anytime soon after that.

So as a demo, it did its job.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I really liked it. The combat super works for me, and the world traversal rules.

I was already looking forward to it, but the demo kind of raised the price I'd be willing to pay a little higher (I virtually never buy games new) just so I can play the full thing sooner rather than later.

I also appreciate that unlike a lot of other demos I played this year, it doesn't start with like 30 minutes of narrative, followed by halting the game each time they want to tell you what a button does. It just lets you PLAY it, and that rules. More demos need to do this.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Demo wasn't all that great but the game has potential. Also, not sure if the HDR implementation is broken but it looks like shit on my C1, either too dark or way too bright.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Loved my time with it, after everything clicks it super fun to run around and I loved the combat. Day-one here.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I think the game will be alright but this was a poor demo because it dumped a ton of mechanics on the player with poor tutorialization which lead to a lot of people disliking it. I'm disappointed at how slow the parkour is though. Part of it is that I played Frontiers recently so that has warped my perception of speed in an open world but it does feel like the world is too big for Frey's speed. With that said, I suspect it's something that might be upgradeable.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to the game and will be picking it up day 1.

When you start the demo, they definitely don't do enough to explain everything. Reading the tutorials, looking at the controls and just running around, getting a feel for things helps for a much better experience.

I haven't done everything in the demo but I'm looking forward to jumping back in sometime tomorrow.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It was great once everything clicked. You're doing yourself a disservice if you quit it after 5 minutes instead of giving it a chance and learning the systems

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
It was just… uneven. Has some really good combat hidden underneath a cumbersome menu and controls. The world looks vast, but hardly feels alive. I loved the particle effects, but everything becomes so muddy quite often. Enemies are neat, but they are absolute sponges.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the worst thing ever in all honesty, but it's got Big Launch Game Energy. This needed to be out with the PS5, not three years later.

I could see the combat evolving into something pretty cool since even the stuff you have in the demo is alright, but it's functionally a TPS with some finnicky melee. The parkour stuff is fine, I guess? You hold one button and move, sometimes you jump and hit it. It's not exactly AC Unity or Prince of Persia or anything.

The dialogue is as awful as any low tier MCU entry or CW show and the fact you can literally turn down the frequency of it is a tacit admission on their part that they know it's at least a little annoying, despite the gymnastics that have gone into defending the trailers.

There's nothing to write home about aesthetically. Graphics quality doesn't mean anything to me when the art is so drab. There's less color to this than FFXV, somehow. There are particle effects. You'll forget the music the minute you stop playing.

Oct 25, 2017
Took about 10 minutes to get a hang of it but I've enjoyed it after that. Definitely a bad tutorial that leaves you with a bad first impression.

Menu and UI are also not great but there are some settings that make everything a lot more streamlined. Running and parkouring is fun in and out of combat. Cool spell effects as well.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While I'm sure some did finish the demo, it seems like a lot of people dropped off the demo almost immediately.

The demo has probably done the game a great disservice because it takes a few minutes to get fully acquainted with the feel of the game and once it actually clicks, it feels really good and is fun to play. The accessibility options work well for reducing the chatter and making movement feel better, too, but a lot of people didn't even get far enough to even attempt to fiddle with the settings. The demo also defaults to easy, which is another issue. I think they really should have just spent more time making the demo a proper tutorial and introducing mechanics one at a time, then opening up to the bigger demo map rather than just immediately dropping you in with a minimalist explanation.

Overall, it looks like it's going to be a great game but the demo definitely has set it back a bit.

The discourse around this game is going to suck, and a lot (not all, but still a lot) of it is going to be vitriol from those who immediately discarded it within minutes.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Went from a day one purchase to a day one purchase. Having to stop myself from playing the demo more because I don't want to burn myself out on it, but I think I had like 4 or 5 hours with it.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
It's a bad demo in the sense that it doesn't explain much and drops players in with a bunch of spells and no combat tutorial, many of the default options are bad etc. But I had a good time with it once I spend time figuring stuff out and tweaking options. Nonetheless, bad demo as many probably didn't/won't give it the time to figure it out and thus it's not a good demo to sell the game. Really needed a better tutorial, some story bits/cutscenes to get people invested etc.

Anyway, still not a $70 day one game for me though though as it will likely be better after patches (performance mode is a bit rough graphically, hope that gets improved over time like Horizon FW's did). I also just preordered a PSVR2 as well, so that will be my big purchase and main gaming focus Q1. This will probably be a nice pick up in summer when wanting something different to play when it's hopefully been patched up and is cheaper.

Last edited:

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Went from a day one purchase to a day one purchase. Having to stop myself from playing the demo more because I don't want to burn myself out on it, but I think I had like 4 or 5 hours with it.
Yeah, I was surprised by how much optional stuff was in there. I finished the main objectives at 3 hours, but definitely feel like I'm gonna end up doing a lot of the map icon things in this game.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It was... okay. It seems like a lot of my problems with it come down to the demo not telling you how to do, well... anything, really. I might go back and finish up everything in the demo at some point this week, just to see what else is in there.

Performance mode was a bit rough. It wasn't hitting 60fps constantly, but that's the sort of thing that can be fixed. The overall graphics, on the other hand... there's a noticeable drop in quality when switching to Performance. It'll make me lean towards playing it on PC if I ever play it at all. I don't know if I'll ever have time for a game like this in the next couple of years, between my current backlog and all the games releasing in the next six months or so.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I'm not part of the (very, extremely sus) hate mob this game has on this website, but the demo is an absolute mess from a technical standpoint and it's shocking this is what they released to convince people. From the ugly performance mode to the completely busted brightness/HDR, I'm floored.

Game itself seems like a lot of fun despite the tech and writing issues, but if this is what the final game is gonna release like?……Oof.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play it but from impressions it sounds like they did themselves a disservice by not framing the demo properly with tutorials or perhaps just choosing a less advanced part of the game?

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Needed to play more but I actually didn't mind it once you get a hang of the controls and modify them I do feel the ui is a little small? but Is on my radar not sure day one but didn't mind it at all! Some of the combat was the highlight.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not a day one for me. Somewhere down the road maybe, I might pick it up, like Stranger of Paradise, but there are just so many other better games that I could be playing that I am not sure how this would fit in.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The game seems interesting but the demo itself (as in, providing a coherent preview experience of the game) is abysmal. The constant chatter/banter of the main characters was atrocious. I'd maybe pick it up on deep sale or as a PS+ game, provided they provide a way to turn down the constant quipping.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The game seems interesting but the demo itself (as in, providing a coherent preview experience of the game) is abysmal. The constant chatter/banter of the main characters was atrocious. I'd maybe pick it up on deep sale or as a PS+ game, provided they provide a way to turn down the constant quipping.
There's a setting to reduce the chatter / quips already in the demo / game.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the traversal and presentation. The world looks gorgeous too.
This being said... I also felt something was off, even if I found the combat to be... serviceable.
I actually don't think this kind of demo (a short slice in the middle of things) works for that kind of game.

We're just missing too much context/ story, there's visibly a million options between powers, combat, crafting and equipment and by trying to give us a taste of everything it ends up doing nothing really well.
Still has my interest, but wil probably wait for reviews.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mixed on it, but came out a bit positive in the end.

I'll grab it in the back half of next year when it's cheaper.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Felt more like a launch title or tech demo than an actual demo of a game 2 years into the generation.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better than I expected, but I'll wait until it hits $40 or something.

I did like the fast traversal, and the combat is serviceable despite the controls. It needs like a quick change from sword combat to range instead of holding down buttons as it ruins the pace a bit.

The camera and enemy locking needs some work as well. My character can be facing one direction while the camera faces the opposite direction. When I attack, she attacks at the direction the camera is pointing, so I have to make sure both things are pointing to where I want to attack.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
its more bad than good, but ill probably still buy it day 1, since i quite like the concept / main character BUT i think this game is gonna be a pretty big flop. Especially on PC. absolutely blown away by the fact that square is asking 80 euros for it on steam. Not even CoD, not even any EA game, not even any T2 game is priced that high. It's absolutely wild.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Bad demo. I feel like they should have made a more structured demo or just not do one since I'm assuming that would have taken up a bunch of resources.

Maybe instead spend more time on showing the game off via videos?

It's a hard pass for me.
Lately they've been releasing trailers and I think they were getting a quite nice reception, but this demo seems to have killed that momentum.

bigbusiness

Lead Editor @ The Punished Backlog
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
United States
Wasn't terrible, but wasn't terrific either.

If FFXVI, RE4, Tears of the Kingdom, Fire Emblem, and a cavalcade of other games weren't releasing in H1 2023, I could see myself picking it up at $20 or so.

Given the packed year we're in for, though? A pass, most likely.