• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth playing through the story once but the rest of the game is just going through tired rehashes of story levels again and again and again. You have to grind a bunch in order to level up the characters you didn't play the campaign with just so that you can continue to grind on the same levels and enemies. Combine that with baffling design decisions surrounding progression (scrolling unreadable text on ISO-8) and you have the recipe for a one day rental kind of game.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
It's borderline unplayable. I want to play this game and enjoy it, but the automatic camera is on par with some of the worst from N64 titles. It is atrociously bad, and constantly bugs out through walls, doesn't turn, or just stares in the wrong direction. Characters can be tiny and horrible to find on screen.

It's a shame, honestly. I loved the past Ultimate Alliance games despite how mediocre they were and was really looking forward to some mindless Marvel action, but Ultimate Alliance 3's camera functionality is just awful.

The score of 73 the game has on OpenCritic is very generous.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Boring, ugly and unentertaining. Me and my co-op partner had to stop playing after a few stages. It was really bad.

Shame too, as there has been a real gap in multi-player action games like X-Men Legends/Alliance. It always looked unappealing from the trailers, sadly. However, the presentation and gameplay in reality was somehow even worse than I imagined.

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I picked this up day one because my wife and I played and liked the PS4 one a couple years ago.

We were both disappointed in it. It didn't feel as good to play, the camera angles were just awful in certain situations. She ended up bailing on it about half way through and I decided to beta it as fast as possible and sell it.

Playing it by myself did make things a little easier and smoother. More control of the camera and characters made it a little more fun. Beat it, sold it and won't be day 1 for the next one.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
One of my biggest disappointments in recent gaming memory. I'm a huge fan of X-Men Legends and the original MUA. I was over the moon when 3 was announced, but oh boy did the game not really work for me.

Awful balance when it comes to enemy HP and damage. Horribad camera. Having to break through a stun bar for a lot of enemies to even be able to damage them. I just found myself more frustrated than having fun while playing.

It's a shame too, because the character roster is the best the series has ever had. I went from being in on the DLC day one, to not even really caring at all.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Been having a lot of fun playing with 3 other friends and trying different characters.
We have to retry some boss fights kind of frequently so that's cool (probably because we try using some underleveled characters)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Waste of money, that camera was horrible
I deleted it two hours in. Such a great concept and looked like it was going to be a fun story and loved seeing all the Interactions but that camera really was bad.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish there was more options for how to build individual characters. Only having 4 powers to upgrade is pretty lame.

Still having a great time with the game. It's grindy in a way that's fun to me and the infinity trials are great.

Doubt I'll get the DLC but if anyone's on the fence like I was, I'd say jump in.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I never played an Ultimate Alliance game before, so it was my first foray into the series.

It took me two weeks to get through because I didn't play it straight through.
I thought both camera options were awful.
While I'm not one to be too critical of linearity, I thought this game should've allowed more exploration. Unfortunately it is quite literally a straight path no matter where you are, probably because the game is aimed at kids.
The inability to lock onto anything really annoyed me (unless this is something I missed).
The dodge/block mechanic was abysmal. There was a latency to it that I really didn't like so instead of blocking, I used it to move a foot or two out of the way (I was also surprised it didn't move you very far at all).
There were a lot of locations, which was great, but they felt lifeless.
Graphics weren't very good.

Over all I thought it was a 7/10.
I love this totally negative review with a 7/10 attached to it.

You're a true games journalist!

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's better than 2 because 2 is generally unpleasant, but as a fan of MUA1 and Legends, it's disappointing. Not a lot of character interaction; character building is very linear; ISO upgrades are boring on top of visually unhelpful when sifting through menus; the stamina bars for elites and bosses feels like bloat in most cases.

On the other hand, the general controls are the best they've ever been but the camera eats into that aspect a bit. The art direction is awesome too.

I enjoyed it for the most part, but it seems like a misfire.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It'll definitely be in a different standing when dlc finishes. I mean it already has the best roster/gameplay in the series but the additional characters have been great and when the dlc finishes it will have more unique characters than the first two games with dlc combined.

also there have been tweaks and fixes, the camera has been improved in the bullseye mission at least

Jun 1, 2018
I gave up before the end. The co-op is completely broken, the synergy system really doesn't work when you need it to, enemies take way too much damage and deal way too much damage in return (especially those damn snipers), most of the boss fights are terrible...

It's honestly my most disappointing game of this gen. I really had high hopes for it and it's just...god, it's disappointing. It hurts.
I absolutely agree. I bought this game for coop but its just not fun and an unbalanced unfinished mess that feels like an early access title.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Without a doubt the most disappointing game of the year for me. A lot of the gripes I had with it are already stated by other posters; it was just a huge letdown and I even prefer MUA2 to it.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Didn't even bother finishing it. It's not really good and I say that as someone who loved the first two games in the franchise.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
My take -

Pros:
- Graphics: Decent, WAY better than its predecessors
- Roster: Easily the best roster we've had for MUA game
- Story: Far more cohesive than the previous games, but still kinda all over the place. Will keep this in the "Pros" section because of this.
- New game +: something to do I guess.
- Attack animations are fantastic.
- Hero Camera is a cool addition, but it gets in the way often.
- UI is fantastic.

Cons:
- Camera - horrible
- Lack of dialogue options: The previous games had dialogue options that would pop up when talking to characters, and different characters had different dialogues when talking to characters that they shared histories with. It gave the series a true RPG feel.
- ISO-8 system is just straight up dog shit. MUA/X-Men legends had a much better equipment system and character specific equipment made farming missions worth it.
- Costumes: They're purely aesthetic and there are too few of them. Previous games had multiple costumes and they were functional as they changed the character's stats.
- Infinity Trials: There are WAY too many and it feels like they could've easily put the resources from the trials into more content/bigger scope for the main story. Feels like a throwaway effort at shoving content into the game when other game systems needed more work.
- Characters are limited to 4 Powers + Ultimate. Previous games allowed you to customize what build of a hero you wanted, and your stats/equipment/costume actually contributed to your build. All of that is thrown out the window here.
- Traversal abilities do not matter and are criminally underutilized. Previous games had huge diablo-like open zones where you could explore and certain areas were only accessible by characters who could fly/teleport/swing and certain closed off areas were only accessible by characters who could teleport. Plus tying the traversal to the EP is such a letdown. The whole traversal concept in this game is a wasted opportunity.

Solid 5/10 for me. MUA1 still remains the best in the series, followed closely by X-Men Legends II.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It starts off relatively well, but I feel like it devolves really quickly. Found it incredibly shallow and tedious by the end. Worst of the three KT/Nintendo joints IMO.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the game that made me appreciate Ms. Marvel.

1bsdkp.gif

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opinions and everything....but according to the actual 1-10 scale, 7 is considered good and your review seemed wholly negative. It's stuff like that which skews perception of what an actual 7/10 really is.
Good thing we all have a different idea of what the number means to us. 7 seemed about average for me.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My take -

Pros:
- Story: Far more cohesive than the previous games, but still kinda all over the place. Will keep this in the "Pros" section because of this.
- UI is fantastic.

Cons:
- Camera - horrible
- Lack of dialogue options: The previous games had dialogue options that would pop up when talking to characters, and different characters had different dialogues when talking to characters that they shared histories with. It gave the series a true RPG feel.
- ISO-8 system is just straight up dog shit. MUA/X-Men legends had a much better equipment system and character specific equipment made farming missions worth it.
- Costumes: They're purely aesthetic and there are too few of them. Previous games had multiple costumes and they were functional as they changed the character's stats.
- Infinity Trials: There are WAY too many and it feels like they could've easily put the resources from the trials into more content/bigger scope for the main story. Feels like a throwaway effort at shoving content into the game when other game systems needed more work.
- Characters are limited to 4 Powers + Ultimate. Previous games allowed you to customize what build of a hero you wanted, and your stats/equipment/costume actually contributed to your build. All of that is thrown out the window here.
- Traversal abilities do not matter and are criminally underutilized. Previous games had huge diablo-like open zones where you could explore and certain areas were only accessible by characters who could fly/teleport/swing and certain closed off areas were only accessible by characters who could teleport. Plus tying the traversal to the EP is such a letdown. The whole traversal concept in this game is a wasted opportunity.

Solid 5/10 for me. MUA1 still remains the best in the series, followed closely by X-Men Legends II.

You absolutely nailed it. 5/10 is the exact score I would give this game!

I was going in expecting at least a 7-7.5/10 but it was just super average. I also planned to buy the DLC but I'm skipping it for sure - I already beat the game so I don't see a point in it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My take -

Pros:
- UI is fantastic.

Cons:
- Camera - horrible

Should be pointing out that customized dialog was swapped with full voice acting. Also the original game had 25 characters to customize the dialog for, this one has 36 for base alone. There were going to be concessions

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Played it and beat the story. Sold it as the DLC and side stuff wasn't appealing enough to go back. It wasn't shallow but at times felt a little barren and like I was going through the motions.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Should be pointing out that customized dialog was swapped with full voice acting. Also the original game had 25 characters to customize the dialog for, this one has 36 for base alone. There were going to be concessions

I'd rather have the custom dialogue over the voice acting any day tbh. It gives some superficial depth to the game. Plus the fact that this game didn't have secret characters to unlock through the story was disappointing. All the extra characters are locked in the trials, which is some horseshit.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Good old fashioned fun.

Didn't play co-op, but the camera can be weird; still like the game for what it is. A fun romp.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game. My biggest problem with it though, and the reason I don't bring it out at parties, is the crazy wide disparity between my character levels. I ended up latching on to Spider-man + whichever new characters joined the roster. I assumed at the beginning that EXP Cubes were going to mitigate that, but the game was surprisingly stingy with those. I get the impression that some of the new content tries to mitigate that. I've not purchased the DLC yet, but I'm pretty sure I will when it's all out.

I actually got this game "for free" with some unexpected Amazon gift credit and an E3 price drop, so that might have coloured my opinion on the game some.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I love this game. My biggest problem with it though, and the reason I don't bring it out at parties, is the crazy wide disparity between my character levels. I ended up latching on to Spider-man + whichever new characters joined the roster. I assumed at the beginning that EXP Cubes were going to mitigate that, but the game was surprisingly stingy with those. I get the impression that some of the new content tries to mitigate that. I've not purchased the DLC yet, but I'm pretty sure I will when it's all out.

I actually got this game "for free" with some unexpected Amazon gift credit and an E3 price drop, so that might have coloured my opinion on the game some.
In omega rift you get tons, combine that with some experience booster ISO's it's not so bad

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty damn fun. I wish it opened up more on the first go, but additional playthroughs are totally worth it.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Put about 150 hours into it so far, and still having a blast now that I'm playing the DLC. Its repetitive but very fun if you know what you're getting into. I'm in the middle of doing the gauntlet mode and an Ultimate difficulty run right now and leveling up different characters.

I still haven't unlocked venom spidey costume because those rift missions feel impossible solo even with me using all level 100+ characters.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I dunno, man. They just added the whole SHIELD store thing with like twenty voice lines per character that nobody will really even use, presumably all recorded during the initial sessions.

I'd gladly give all that guff up for them to have done a few character-specific lines each, instead.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I had fun with it, but it's definitely the weakest in the series. Sold it as soon as I finished it. I had no motivation to go back.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with it. I stopped playing shortly after finishing the story. It's a game I might come back to occasionally, probably when I watch a Marvel movie. It was what I expected, nothing more, nothing less.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't finished it yet, but it's the worst of the series and kicking myself for picking this game over Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got exactly what I expected out of it. It was fun running though it and getting all the characters and doing the challenges and I'll probably go back and do the DLC at some point.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up before the end. The co-op is completely broken, the synergy system really doesn't work when you need it to, enemies take way too much damage and deal way too much damage in return (especially those damn snipers), most of the boss fights are terrible...

It's honestly my most disappointing game of this gen. I really had high hopes for it and it's just...god, it's disappointing. It hurts.

Same here. I quit the game two times because of AI issues and the difficulty. I imagine the game is fun with more than one person, but that wasn't my case at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Story was cooler than i expected. that mostly carried me through it.

Multiplayer is mindless fun and where it's at

Someone comparing it to a Musou game is on point. It's like basically a linear Marvel musou game

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I had a lot of fun with it, but in fairness, I played through the full game in co-op mode. I've never been inspired to dip back in by myself. Looking forward to the DLC, if for no other reason than getting Moon Knight.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun with it. Got it about a month ago and finished it last week. I enjoyed the simple act of progressing through the story and unlocking new characters and playing with them for awhile before moving on to unlock someone else.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on my play through and only kept playing because it's a marvel ip. Really disappointing compared to the older ones and it might have the worst camera in a game this gen.