• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I rented it this week for my commute into London and...I'm kinda shocked how much I dislike it. Like, the reviews weren't great but outside of the cutscenes it feels so lazy and thrown together; repetitive button bash combat, silly corner-cutting like allowing your teammates to just run through all the stealth sections while you have to complete them.

I checked my progress and I'm only about 25% of the way through. Honestly not sure I'll stick with it even if it's incredibly easy to blast through. What did you lot think?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up before the end. The co-op is completely broken, the synergy system really doesn't work when you need it to, enemies take way too much damage and deal way too much damage in return (especially those damn snipers), most of the boss fights are terrible...

It's honestly my most disappointing game of this gen. I really had high hopes for it and it's just...god, it's disappointing. It hurts.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I has very clear issues (especially the camera), but it's an overall fun game. If you liked the first two games, you'll like this one.

With that said, Ms. Marvel is utterly broken.

cheska

Oct 27, 2017
I was having a great time up until one of the boss fights
Dr Strange
. I stopped there for now and may eventually go back to it because I was enjoying my time overall.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's about as janky as the previous ones but yeah, definitely missing some QoL shit. There's basically a 0% chance I'd dislike this game but I truly do enjoy it. Total blast, just wish it had more time to cook before they rushed it out because of Endgame hype.

Also like the other two this game is a lot more fun in multiplayer. The camera is rough, though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just like its predecessors, the game is fun but could have been much better. It's a shame because I think KT did a much better job on their other Nintendo collabs.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Found it super disappointing :( It was too 'Koei-Tecmo' with how many enemies they throw at you / how it feels to control / etc.

I usually like their games a ton, including a bunch of the musous, but it's just not the flavour I wanted for this.
I has very clear issues (especially the camera), but it's an overall fun game. If you liked the first two games, you'll like this one.

Iunno, I liked those two (and the X-Men Legends games), but not this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never played an Ultimate Alliance game before, so it was my first foray into the series.

It took me two weeks to get through because I didn't play it straight through.
I thought both camera options were awful.
While I'm not one to be too critical of linearity, I thought this game should've allowed more exploration. Unfortunately it is quite literally a straight path no matter where you are, probably because the game is aimed at kids.
The inability to lock onto anything really annoyed me (unless this is something I missed).
The dodge/block mechanic was abysmal. There was a latency to it that I really didn't like so instead of blocking, I used it to move a foot or two out of the way (I was also surprised it didn't move you very far at all).
There were a lot of locations, which was great, but they felt lifeless.
Graphics weren't very good.

Over all I thought it was a 7/10.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it. They shove a ton of Marvel goodness into this game and it has an incredible roster. Characters feel very unique, yet can also synergize in unexpected ways. The game is also rich with content since the story mode is rather lengthy and there are dozens of challenges.

I kind of find it hard to recommend if you're not into Marvel, but if you're into that I think you will have a lot of fun with this game.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
I enjoyed it for the short time I played but after completing the story it felt like there was no reason to continue? The infinity trials were really grind heavy to unlock
Thanos/Loki
and the alternate colors were all very, very lame. Even after the most recent DLC it felt like they didn't really add much, the new store is a step in the right direction but the gauntlet mode left a lot to be desired.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's shallow and can get repetitive, but I'm enjoying it off and on as a game to play when I don't have a ton of time.

I like playing as my favorite superheroes and the blatant Marvel vs. Capcom inspired moves are a treat (Thanks Combofiend!). It helps to think of it as a big budget X-Men arcade game.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like a mediocre action brawler from 2006. It's pretty faithful in that regard. Let's be honest, separated from the license, none of the MUA games would be remembered at all.

I'd hoped they took a chance to put more effort in to make something fresh and great, but it is what it is.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I quite like what I played, but I've decided to wait until all DLC is out to really get into it. It's exactly what I expected it to be, so I'm not disappointed by the low-budget feel, or the repetitive combat. The fan service carries it for me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I was playing it strictly co-op with a group of friends and we were laughing at how bad the camera was through out the game. Honestly one of the worst video game cameras of all time imo. We never beat the game but got pretty far. Just made it to Wakanda. Its still on my shelf but have no desire to get back to it. Game play felt to shallow. As a Marvel fan it was cool seeing some of the characters together but seriously I think the game is pretty bad. Its like a 5/10 in my book. Its a disappointment.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit, I was impressed at the level variety, and even the little touches to mix up how the game felt (like the kill bill-style silhouette moment, etc).

The combat could have been a bit more clear, and the team up attacks a bit more creative, but the game was always just going to be a button masher so whatever.

My main beef was the hilarious, needlessly deep progression system. There are few instances where the term "felt like it came from another game" feels so apt than the progression system in MUA3. It's sooooooo silly, and the rewards you get are so minimal, and rarely ever feel tangible when you're just mashing your buttons the same way as you were before.

Stupid progression system aside, I enjoyed my time with it. Tons of characters, tons of enemies, tons of fan service.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
My biggest issue was that other characters not in your current line up do not gain any exp and the exp boosts are so underpowered that it is near impossible to level anyone up with out hours and hours of mindless grinding.
If they can patch it so that more experience is give out, or atleast shared to non-party characters, that would be dope. I'm not saying that everyone needs to level up at the same time, but when you have 90% of your roster at a basic level, your only option is to play the trials or grind through the full game with them again and again. Not fun.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Picked it up mostly for co-op which I've had a blast with, but also surprised at how much I've enjoyed it solo.
Mindless fun I guess but I find it addictive to level up characters, take on trials, level up crystals, etc.

My biggest issue was that other characters not in your current line up do not gain any exp and the exp boosts are so underpowered that it is near impossible to level anyone up with out hours and hours of mindless grinding.
If they can patch it so that more experience is give out, or atleast shared to non-party characters, that would be dope. I'm not saying that everyone needs to level up at the same time, but when you have 90% of your roster at a basic level, your only option is to play the trials or grind through the full game with them again and again. Not fun.
Isn't that why the XP cubes exist? It's not perfect but after taking on a bunch of trials I'm sitting on tons and tons of those cubes. Also if you have 1 very overleved character you can pretty easily carry 2 or even 3 low level character and quickly level them up.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Like most impressions posted above, I think it's fun but flawed. The game is too reliant on the synergy system (where two characters attack together with two different specials that can be combined like two rushes or fire + reflector) but you initially have few skills that can be combined so the basic combat takes a while to be unlocked completely. Even after you have multiple options available, I don't think it was a good concept in the first place though, due to making the player rely on positioning/energy of AI characters in a game where the whole screen can get very busy and you can't even call the characters to move towards you or anything like that.

Then there are some other issues, lack initial lack of costumes and lack of alternate abilities (although this already happened with MUA2). At least the actual free DLC costumes are coming with pallet swaps of their own too.

The inability to lock onto anything really annoyed me (unless this is something I missed).
There is a lock on when you activate the action camera, but it's only available in the segments with free camera.

Found it super disappointing :( It was too 'Koei-Tecmo' with how many enemies they throw at you / how it feels to control / etc.

I usually like their games a ton, including a bunch of the musous, but it's just not the flavour I wanted for this.

The most Koei Tecmo thing about the game are the infinity-trials though. The level design, boss design and such were clearly attempting to go after a MUA flavor rather than what you'd usually get from them. Just compare the closed corridor levels here with the big open levels in Hyrule Warriors. It's one of the reasons the Infinity Trials don't work as well as HW's Adventure mode, since the stages are too linear and tied to set pieces so they can't customize them as much as the challenges in HWs do.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't look like what I was hoping the game would have been.

Also I shouldn't have hoped it would be like X-Men Legends.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it once on whatever the normal difficulty was and I enjoyed it, but it's the worst of the three and I didn't find myself returning to it at all, which I did tons with the previous games. I'll maybe revisit when all the DLC is out since there will be lots of new content, but I think I've seen people say that patches haven't brought much performance improvement, which is very disappointing. Unlike in Zelda, I found the technical issues disruptive to the experiences. The camera is also kinda assy in an "early 3d game" kind of way, but it's not too bad (at least in SP). There was only one area of the game where I found it annoying enough to kill me more than once (f'n snipers).

With all those negatives out of the way, I hope it gets a sequel. This has a bunch of problems, but I think they're all surmountable in even a very basic iterative sequel. They really just need to, you know, tighten up the graphics on level 3 a lot. More than they can do in a few patches, but easily achievable in a sequel.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to play it in coop with my daughter and the camera control is absolutely godawful. The game is fun but im surprised that we havent had a patch to fix the camera yet.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely excited for it and came away very disappointed. I honestly thing it is a terrible game where the sole purpose is building a team and beating up a ton of people and neither of those aspects are any good at all. First, it just feels bad controlling the characters and fighting. On top of that, their movesets are all copy/pastes of the same 5 or so types of moves that perform the same general tasks, so in the end it doesn't feel like any characters control or operate in a unique way. Second, any and all aspects of character building or RPG mechanics are just flat out terrible or boringly superficial.

I honestly bounced off this game so hard I didn't finish the last story mission or two and have no interest in going back, let alone getting any of the new dlcs

Edit: And to clarify, I rather enjoyed the first two games and loved building and customizing my own unique teams in each

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It played like a remaster of a beloved couch coop game that came out with 2006 where the only thing changed was the art style (sporting a fancy new cel shaded look)

in other words, it was janky as fuck and the camera was more difficult to work around than any of the ridiculous difficulty spikes in the game. Thanos isn't threatening in the slightest when you can't even see him since the camera's more interested in that rock in the corner of the arena.

A lack of an Exp. Share system was my biggest disappointment. Not being able to switch characters around to my hearts content without being penalized for being underleveled sucked. Especially later on in the game where my friend and I's team layout proved inaffective for some of the bosses.

Infinity Gates were very forgettable, but it was a cool way of me making progress in the game alone without messing up my co-op campaign with my friend.

The stat modifying crystals didn't seem to make any impact of my playthrough. I feel like the game would have been for the better if they focused the attention spent on those iso-8 modifiers on something else. Or just scrapped it entirely.

I had a helluva lot of fun playing through it with friends. I'd love to see Nintendo publish more couch coop games in the future.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Rented it expecting the game to be like the old ones.. was very disappointed. The ps2 games were better. Took it back after a few hours.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I really disliked it. Was super hyped but got bored of it in well under an hour. If I hadn't bought it digitally I would of returned it/sold it on.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing with my 8 yo son and having a blast. We just unlocked
Ghost Rider
and are about lvl 26 so not sure how far through we are. I can see how people would think it's repetitive, but we're loving it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I had a blast and I'm still enjoying the game. Perfect for comfort food grinding. Also trust me the unlockables in this one are easier than in the old games. Some were really obscure.
I was having a great time up until one of the boss fights
Dr Strange
. I stopped there for now and may eventually go back to it because I was enjoying my time overall.
Go to the Phi rift and unlock cyclops and Colossus then spam synergy with Colossus's third ability. It'll reflect most lasers in the game even boss ones

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
It's not very good.

It runs pretty poorly, it was really difficult to time specials in order to break shields and do big damage, the AI did a terrible job of keeping itself out of harms way during bosses, the gem system was confusing, the menus were often difficult to use.

And more over, it wasn't very fun.

I couldn't finish it. I'm playing co-op with my cousin right now and the screen scrolling is terrible. There's always a battle for screen real estate that shouldn't be a thing after the Lego games handled it so masterfully.

It's a hard avoid.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's really fun for what is is. It could have been better in some areas, but I find myself coming back to it often. It's just great for some kind of mindless explosive beat-em' up action.

Couch co-op camera though is inexcusable and it's insane if it hasn't been patched yet (I wouldn't know, haven't played couch co-op since launch, just play with a friend online.)

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
I had to switch the game to easy while playing with friends in co-op. The sequential sections of the
Dr. Strange Boss Fight and the Wakandan Snipers
made my friends and I waste 3 hours on the boss fight and put the game down after we encountered the latter. Game is in major need of QA and patching to balance the action and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THAT CAMERA during the Bullseye fight is dreadful.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I think its pretty fun, it does have some issues but not to the point of being unplayable.

- Frame drops
- The camera
- Not having EXP share (or at least boost the EXP items), its pretty taxing if you want to max out the roster without the proper ISOs.

I think most reviews gave it 7/10, its a fair score.

Spin2Win

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. I'm at 405 hours and it's my personal game of the year. Haven't played anything else on my switch since I've got this in July.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Game is great despite a couple of technical issues. I'll get back to it with the DLC coming out but Borderlands and Gears 5 have taken my time as of late.

Nightcrawler is the best.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only tried it briefly at a gaming con, but it felt very cheap, like an indie game, both in terms of gameplay and art style. Weak animations, repetitive and slightly unprecise gameplay, not quite enough variety. Was rather disappointed with it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I liked it, but there are so many bafflingly poor design decisions that it warrants serious caveats.

I do hope that they get a chance to make MUA4, because it's a good base, but they really need to:
  • Improve party leveling.
  • Ditch the ISOs, or at least make managing them not-painful.
  • Tone down the importance of Synergies.
  • Come up with some more generic tilesets for Comic Book/Infinity Rift/Whatever missions. Just endlessly re-playing chunks of the same campaign blows.
  • Have proper unlockable costumes (not recolours) from the start.
  • Bring back Trivia.
Personally, I'd rather they err towards the Marvel Heroes side of things next time.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It's a fun game. Not groundbreaking at all, but I had fun with it. Might come back when all DLC packs are out to play a bit more with the new characters.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I liked the story mode, but I'm finding the endgame a repetitive game of grinding. The DLC really soured me on it.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I played the game same-screen co-op at a buddies place. Oh the camera...

*OH THE CAMERA*

So many moments of "where the fuck am I?" or not being able to see anything because the camera decided to go at a weird angle or follow away from the action.

I'll echo what others have said. Some of the boss fights are frustratingly hard (looking at you Fisk and Dr. Strange). Sniper enemies, nuff said. We don't really like the synergy system at all, sure the big ultimate combo is cool, but when your doing your ZR combo with another character, it rarely gets used or wrong characters don't have any synergy to combo together.

No exp share is a downer. You unlock say, Spider-Man. If you don't touch him for half the game and then decide to play as him for he might be a good fit for a particular battle, you'll need to grind to level him up as he's now 20 levels behind. Basically you find your crew and you kinda stick to them. Going back to earlier characters requires so much grinding.

The game is fun, the pace of character unlocks is good, but there are things that hamper it. If I just played this solo without being in the same room as friends, likely would not have continued.