• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on my play through and only kept playing because it's a marvel ip. Really disappointing compared to the older ones and it might have the worst camera in a game this gen.

I legitimately don't know how they shipped the game with the co-op camera in the state it's in during the Bullseye fight. Absolutely embarrassing.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Janky as hell with a really shit camera and a lot of other issues but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even close to being my favorite game of the year, but it was probably my biggest surprise. I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Super fun game.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Fun ass game. Feels satisfying to smash a bunch of fuckers with my favorite Marvel characters. Not a masterpiece but still fun.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Adored the older Raven-driven games and was so excited for this.

I think I played 2 hours and haven't gone back. Impressive cutscenes but the action, settings, customization, and combat feels limp and disjointed. Really wasn't a fan and it's one of my biggest disappointments of the year. :(

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My take -

Pros:
- Graphics: Decent, WAY better than its predecessors
- Roster: Easily the best roster we've had for MUA game
- Story: Far more cohesive than the previous games, but still kinda all over the place. Will keep this in the "Pros" section because of this.
- New game +: something to do I guess.
- Attack animations are fantastic.
- Hero Camera is a cool addition, but it gets in the way often.
- UI is fantastic.

Cons:
- Camera - horrible
- Lack of dialogue options: The previous games had dialogue options that would pop up when talking to characters, and different characters had different dialogues when talking to characters that they shared histories with. It gave the series a true RPG feel.
- ISO-8 system is just straight up dog shit. MUA/X-Men legends had a much better equipment system and character specific equipment made farming missions worth it.
- Costumes: They're purely aesthetic and there are too few of them. Previous games had multiple costumes and they were functional as they changed the character's stats.
- Infinity Trials: There are WAY too many and it feels like they could've easily put the resources from the trials into more content/bigger scope for the main story. Feels like a throwaway effort at shoving content into the game when other game systems needed more work.
- Characters are limited to 4 Powers + Ultimate. Previous games allowed you to customize what build of a hero you wanted, and your stats/equipment/costume actually contributed to your build. All of that is thrown out the window here.
- Traversal abilities do not matter and are criminally underutilized. Previous games had huge diablo-like open zones where you could explore and certain areas were only accessible by characters who could fly/teleport/swing and certain closed off areas were only accessible by characters who could teleport. Plus tying the traversal to the EP is such a letdown. The whole traversal concept in this game is a wasted opportunity.

Solid 5/10 for me. MUA1 still remains the best in the series, followed closely by X-Men Legends II.

This is a perfect summation and mirrors my experience with both the older games and this one.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love it as mindless marvel fun. Camera sucks and I hate solo challengers for characters I don't use. But fun.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I thought it was okay. The level of/lack of polish reminded me a lot of DC Online... which felt outdated even when it released in 2011.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good game but disappointing overall.

Level system was utter shit. The game basically locks you out of using characters you don't touch which ruins the whole purpose of switching characters when you like.

Infinity trials were so bad as well. Just tacked on crap for more content. End of the story came out of nowhere too which disappointed me.

Would have liked more dialogue during the game too between characters.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I bought a digital copy and I regret the purchase. IMO it's not as fun as the other two games. I've restarted it twice and I lose interest a few hours in.

Jun 23, 2019
One of my biggest regret purchases of 2019.

My take -

Pros:
- Graphics: Decent, WAY better than its predecessors
- Roster: Easily the best roster we've had for MUA game
- Story: Far more cohesive than the previous games, but still kinda all over the place. Will keep this in the "Pros" section because of this.
- New game +: something to do I guess.
- Attack animations are fantastic.
- Hero Camera is a cool addition, but it gets in the way often.
- UI is fantastic.

Cons:
- Camera - horrible
- Lack of dialogue options: The previous games had dialogue options that would pop up when talking to characters, and different characters had different dialogues when talking to characters that they shared histories with. It gave the series a true RPG feel.
- ISO-8 system is just straight up dog shit. MUA/X-Men legends had a much better equipment system and character specific equipment made farming missions worth it.
- Costumes: They're purely aesthetic and there are too few of them. Previous games had multiple costumes and they were functional as they changed the character's stats.
- Infinity Trials: There are WAY too many and it feels like they could've easily put the resources from the trials into more content/bigger scope for the main story. Feels like a throwaway effort at shoving content into the game when other game systems needed more work.
- Characters are limited to 4 Powers + Ultimate. Previous games allowed you to customize what build of a hero you wanted, and your stats/equipment/costume actually contributed to your build. All of that is thrown out the window here.
- Traversal abilities do not matter and are criminally underutilized. Previous games had huge diablo-like open zones where you could explore and certain areas were only accessible by characters who could fly/teleport/swing and certain closed off areas were only accessible by characters who could teleport. Plus tying the traversal to the EP is such a letdown. The whole traversal concept in this game is a wasted opportunity.

Solid 5/10 for me. MUA1 still remains the best in the series, followed closely by X-Men Legends II.

Sums up my complaints perfectly.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's a stepback from the previous games, not a big one but enough to be annoying

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I liked it more than the previous entries in the series. I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would, but it can be super frustrating at times. Especially in multiplayer. I don't like the ISO-8 system and derive zero enjoyment from it, but it's necessary if you want your team to be max. It's absolutely madness with 4p and anytime we play we have a good time despite the chaos.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
I think MUA3's combat is technically better than the previous games (aside from some balance quirks and the over-emphasis on synergy attacks), but it feels a lot less like an RPG compared to earlier titles.

There was plenty of jank before, sure, but being able to go more in depth with builds and skills/abilities for each character is seriously missing from this one. The incredible roster in this game barely has a chance to do anything with the four-ability limit and questionable assignment of passive abilities. No more messing around with fun, one-off skills that have unique mechanics (playing as Dr. Strange and Nightcrawler in MUA1 is a far cry from what we have now, for example); no more need to carefully consider how to level heroes; no real flexibility to create novelty, challenge, or broken builds; etc.

When I play X-Men Legends and MUA1 (and I suppose MUA2 to a lesser extent), I'm reminded more of a light Diablo or Gauntlet Legends. I don't get the same feeling when I play this one despite every game appearing quite similar at face value. MUA3's excessive loading and heavy emphasis on multiple modes may have something to do with that missing intimacy, but I think it mostly comes down to the way character building has been simplified.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Super flawed game that I've sunk dozens of hours into. It's the perfect game when you just want to sit down and play something for 20 minutes. I love it personally.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
It adds needless complexity to what was supposed to be a pretty straight forward beat em up. The synergy system is just straight up garbage

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It's ok, but I would like it so much more with experience share. 'Want to mess around with tons of different characters and team combos?' 'Well too bad, unless you pick one team and stick with it the whole game you will be woefully underlevelled!'

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
The amount of X-men characters made the game very fun for me. I had a great time. The level design was pretty stale though and the extra modes have way too much copy pasted content.

JackRandom

Oct 26, 2017
it was "fine." zero reason to continue playing past completion. The loot and powers are not interesting enough to make higher difficulties worth going for, and the idea that, at release, every unlockable costume was a simple color swap really killed my interest.

never

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I couldn't even finish it. The camera is completely broken in co-op and makes that experience terrible.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I cant get into it, combat has almost no imapct. It's a musou like game but with unsatisfying combat. Just a shame really, roster is amazing, but if the combat is unsatisfying there's no point really.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Its just an okay game.

Feels like the game needed a few more months of polish. I think they should have either forced people to use certain teams (cause nothing is lamer than entering a cut scene with 4 people who are not part of your team).

The other issue was levelling up your other party members was such a god damn chore. Once I chose my starting 4, there was no reason to switch. And then starting a new game plus to get the ultimate unlock able character? Super lame cause you are just running through the game again with the same team.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I feels like it was made in 2010. It was fun, but it just didn't do anything spectacular. In saying that I dropped it after the Moon base missions.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Any thoughts on the season pass? A good value now or buy later?

So far, I'd say to wait before buying the season pass. The first pack had 4 characters with some unique attacks, but the new stages and survival mode in the Gauntlet were just more Trials-style challenges, but needing to be finished in sequence and with some unique dialogue from Strange. The Gauntlet also really suffers from long loading times too, since you've got multiple battles in sequence, but each battle has the same loading you'd get before a new stage. There are new bosses based on the playable characters (Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, the first four DLC characters too) but they didn't give them any unique attacks compared to their playable versions so the battles against them don't really stand out.

We don't know the characters that will be added in later packs and there are supposed to be other new modes too, so we might still get something better but the first pack feels fairly budget.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
So far, I'd say to wait before buying the season pass. The first pack had 4 characters with some unique attacks, but the new stages and survival mode in the Gauntlet were just more Trials-style challenges, but needing to be finished in sequence and with some unique dialogue from Strange. The Gauntlet also really suffers from long loading times too, since you've got multiple battles in sequence, but each battle has the same loading you'd get before a new stage. There are new bosses based on the playable characters (Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, the first four DLC characters too) but they didn't give them any unique attacks compared to their playable versions so the battles against them don't really stand out.

We don't know the characters that will be added in later packs and there are supposed to be other new modes too, so we might still get something better but the first pack feels fairly budget.

Appreciate the detailed response! I will take your advice.