• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A while ago, I made a thread asking people what ways they'd like to see fighting games improve now that rollback netcode and crossplay are becoming more common. As someone who plays fighting games pretty casually but likes reading and watching stuff about them, this is something I'm pretty curious about these days. And I wanted to know what kinds of features people saw in the SF6 Beta that they'd like to see become more common in the genre.

Some things that stood out personally are:

• Online Stage Selection: You can pick an individual stage to play on, you can randomize from the whole stage list or you can select specific stages for the game to randomly pick from (ex: you can select every stage except the training grid). The stage you end up on based on this selection isn't determined by what your opponent chooses and you can be fighting someone who's playing with a completely different background from you. This is really cool.
  • Matchmaking: The game has big public lobbies and you can fight other people in there but when you matchmake, it seems to put you in a pool with people who aren't in your lobby. This is nice too and I wish GG Strive's "Quick Match" worked like this. This feature helps SF6 feel like it has the best of both worlds in regards to matchmaking and social lobbies.
  • Per-character Ranking: When you pick a new character and play Ranked, you get a Ranking specific to that character. If you reach Gold with Ken and then you pick Juri, you're not in Gold with Juri. I like this cause it makes me more open to play Ranked with new characters and more likely to get close matches based on my skill with each character.
What about you?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
The social aspect of the Battle Hub is one of the best that's ever been done. It's so great to be able to play ranked or just fuck around with randoms in long sets if you want. And it lets you spectate pro players battle hubs live which is a really neat feature.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Character-specific ranking is already a thing in games like Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI (though matchmaking's broken in the latter), but it would be nice to see that become more widespread.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is from a spectator view only but:

STOP REMOVING CHARACTER MOVES. I'm so glad SF6 finally decided to give everyone their full ass kit and every character looks like a complete and diverse character. Have a stylish/autocombo mode for ppl that dont want to learn, but for gods sake stop trying to simplify characters. I'm so glad guile kept the multi booms, and juri got most of her moveset back, and ryu got his moveset EXPANDED for the first time since sf3.

Its my biggest gripe with strive, characters got their moveset cut at the knee for absolutely no valid reason.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Those 3 are pretty great improvements, especially impressed with allowing stage selection to differ for either players (or spectators). Same for Character based Ranking, though I would like an overall account ranking as well.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Matchmaking: The game has big public lobbies and you can fight other people in there but when you matchmake, it seems to put you in a pool with people who aren't in your lobby. This is nice too and I wish GG Strive's "Quick Match" worked like this. This feature helps SF6 feel like it has the best of both worlds in regards to matchmaking and social lobbies.

You're actually underselling SF6's matchmaking, because you can avoid the socially lobbies entirely and just queue up for ranked and casual matches directly.

All fighting games need this. Never force players into lobbies.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first matchmaking lobby having people running around that I actually like. With the huge customization, gestures and moves you're actually given goofy stuff to do that makes resemble PlayStation Home. With Arcsys lobbies all you can do is fight, so you just wonder why not let me just do that faster with a button.

And often with Arcsys games, you don't have a choice between this style and just using quick menus. Sf6 does.

In fact, just the overall additions to make the game feel fun for everyone instead of just FGC bros is refreshing. They didn't have to add all the extra taunts, multiple walk and guard animations (in burnout) and secret interactions (two Kimberlys with level 3 changes the lyrics of the song). It just makes it feel more like a game than a tournament box to relive the arcade days.

I remember dreaming of a modern fighting game where someone changed their stance cause they were powered up. Didn't get that exactly, but overall they went above and beyond the call of duty. Ball's in your court, Tekken and MK.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
You're actually underselling SF6's matchmaking, because you can avoid the socially lobbies entirely and just queue up for ranked and casual matches directly.

really? battle hub seems cool but do you mean I can just skip that and do a traditional menu to get to to casual and ranked matches?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Definately the ability to pick whatever stage you want to be on and to have certain ones never show up. I hate the grid and never want to be on it outside of the lab.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
There is a place for super punishing fighting games. Not everything has to be about setting up some ideal checkmate situation where you don't have to take any risk.

Drive Impacts ever present presence looming over the fight is the exact kinda punishing stress that I want to see more of.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
The actual gameplay seems a lot more mechanically dense and interesting than launch SFV and the netcode seems solid. Those two things (along with launching with actual single player content) are what really matters for the game's success.

In terms of features/mechanics/UI, I don't think the game is doing anything too crazy, with the exception of the training mode stuff; the frame data display system is dope. Also things like the anti-air training mode are nice and could help newer players practice and grasp the basics.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Ranked, placement (which have been done in a few games) is also a big quality of life improvement for everyone.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The battle hub is the best version of an online lobby I have ever seen that needs to be copied by every fighting game that insists on online lobbies

Character specific ranking

The ability to call a match no contest if the connection is bad or whatevers

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
The stage shown to the player is their stage choice and so you're not forced between one or another player's choice. It's a really good idea that will prevent the complaint of things always being played on the grid.

Jun 25, 2022
There's a ton of things that could be great in Tekken like the accessibility options, live spectating with frame data, fleshed out training mode, better netcode and I would love to see a battle hub thing in Tekken although just a lobby system that includes ranked/unranked would be great as well. There's a ton of other stuff I'm missing that I would've included if I had gotten a chance to play the beta.

I don't see how the stage selection would work in Tekken where each stage has it's own dimensions and walls are a major gameplay mechanic. Conversely I would love to see side selection in SF6 work the same as in Tekken where both players can play on the same side which is just another accessibility option.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smash Bros. could learn from Street Fighter 6 how to make good online multiplayer.

OP
OP
Stowaway Silfer

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Damn. Even better than I thought.
With the huge customization, gestures and moves you're actually given goofy stuff to do that makes resemble PlayStation Home.
"Spinning Bird Kick! Spinning Bird Kick!"
Yeah I loved all the emotes in there. Being in the Battle Hub itself was more fun than I expected.
with the exception of the training mode stuff; the frame data display system is dope. Also things like the anti-air training mode are nice and could help newer players practice and grasp the basics.
I didn't mess with the training mode much but it does seem to be doing some pretty cool stuff. I liked being able to pick situations to practice from the menu. I did use that for Drive Impact.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Match load/rematch times. The time to start a match is like nothing, and rematch is almost too quick.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The Battle Hub is amazing and may actually get me to renew my PSN sub. Everything feels less intimidating when you just go back to goofing around after a match. It takes the sting out of losing. Same with the funny faces before matches -- it nicely reduces the tension and reminds you to just have fun.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Fast Loading. From getting into the game to getting into the fights to rematching. Make that shit quick.
Optional Lobbies. I know that isn't in the beta but we know it's coming. Please just let me play the game as fast as possible.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
This is from a spectator view only but:

STOP REMOVING CHARACTER MOVES. I'm so glad SF6 finally decided to give everyone their full ass kit and every character looks like a complete and diverse character. Have a stylish/autocombo mode for ppl that dont want to learn, but for gods sake stop trying to simplify characters. I'm so glad guile kept the multi booms, and juri got most of her moveset back, and ryu got his moveset EXPANDED for the first time since sf3.

Its my biggest gripe with strive, characters got their moveset cut at the knee for absolutely no valid reason.
Strive is fine. I wouldn't be surprised to see strive and traditional guilty gear split off in the future since they're totally different philosophies and audiences. But I do agree that going forward the simplification trend should end. Just give players the tools to learn.
Letting me play older games in the new one is incredibly cool
It'd be much cooler if these also had online play, but it's a welcome addition!

Every fighting game should steal from the battle hub. They figured out the perfect blend between social functions and matchmaking. Arcsys was nearly there, but Capcom perfected the formula.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
How does this "No contest" thing work? I didn't get in the beta and work kept me from watching. If you use it too often just because you're up against Wireless Warriors I imagine its going to give YOU the penalty no?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I was impressed with how fast loading into match was coming from SFV for example.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
How does this "No contest" thing work? I didn't get in the beta and work kept me from watching. If you use it too often just because you're up against Wireless Warriors I imagine its going to give YOU the penalty no?

I think both players have to agree to it, then it's wash?

I saw the prompt, never used it.