• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Until THIS actually happens, what are we working with? I'm not sure, honestly. What's the agreed upon event that shaped the industry today?

Is it the release of the NES?
Sony and Nintendo's partnership not lasting.
Pong?
Tetris?

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
A few I can think of:

NES. Not the first console, but the one that brought simplicity and order to it all. Saved the industry and parents still call everything a Nintendo (or Xbox).

Xbox OG requiring broadband.

GTA 3.

Oct 25, 2017
NC
The Nintendo Entertainment System. It saved gaming.....in America. Everywhere else would have been fine but console gaming in America was practically revitalized by the NES.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Release of the NES, making home consoles a thing that now had legs.

Without it's success, who knows what would hVe eventually turned things around. Video games were a fad market before that, and the release of the game E.T. basically killed The idea.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Tie between Super Mario Bros on the NES, the Gameboy and the release of the Playstation.

Super Mario's impact cannot be overstated and the NES kind of showed the way for home consoles were going to work going forward. The gameboy helped to create the handheld market.

And Sony also deserves equal credit for expanding the market to what it is today. The pre-PS market is pretty tiny in comparison.

I guess the iPhone is probably just as important but none of us (including myself) are going to want to acknowledge it.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Sony coming out on stage with that price announcement for the PS1 and walking off. That set events in motion that we're still feeling today, given how successful PS4 has been.

If they were even $50 higher who knows how much that would have changed things.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Release of DOOM... basically that game set the directions of the whole genre for almost 10 years.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Had my fun with the Game Boy Advance, DS, and Wii. PS2 is my all-time favorite console, but GBA is directly behind it. The only Nintendo IP I'm deeply passionate about is Metroid.

Don't get the point of condescending posts like this, though. Many have got a console family that they've stayed with and embraced since they were kids, simply because the IPs they care most about are to be found within it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't own one back in the day but looking back I'd say everything about the PS1 was very significant. Can you imagine if PS1 was another overpriced, difficult to develop for turd in the console market? From Nintendo saying no to Sony, to the PS1 $299 mic drop at E3, everything changed.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
What CoD 4 did to Online MP would have to be up there.

Super Mario 64 for 3D games/camera control and the use of the analog stick.

HL2 for facial animation and general physics.

Dark/Demon Souls for... well, you know.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
I think the feud between Sega of Japan and Sega of America ultimately doomed the company more than anything else.

Probably Sony coming out on stage with that price announcement for the PS1 and walking off. That set events in motion that we're still feeling today, given how successful PS4 has been.

If they were even $50 higher who knows how much that would have changed things.
For added context, Sega had just surprise dropped the Saturn just a few hours before this at $399 opposed to Sony's $299.

Oct 30, 2017
I gotta go with the shift from 2D to 3D graphics. An absurd amount of evolution in gaming and designs happened in such a short amount of time.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't own one back in the day but looking back I'd say everything about the PS1 was very significant. Can you imagine if PS1 was another overpriced, difficult to develop for turd in the console market? From Nintendo saying no to Sony, to the PS1 $299 mic drop at E3, everything changed.
Still $100 more than the main competition.

BootlegSnackz

Oct 26, 2017
Nfl2k and nba2k on the Dreamcast with online play

I know it wasn't broadband but what an amazing time.

Also just about every Nintendo console release save Wii U.

PlayStation 2 release I can remember was of super large fanfare. A lot of hype.

Xbox brought significance not in one event but in the start of a dashboard/online experience, pretty much perfected on 360.

Hmmm one event?

I don't think we can distill it down to that without saying NES release, but I think most of us want a more personal answer, so we think about the times we have witnessed significance in our own gaming journey.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Video game crash of 83. Nintendo saved the market in America but also made sense of how the console industry and its games should function. It was practically the Wild West before Nintendo.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No one said R.O.B.? Didn't he basically save gaming via the dual service as a peripheral/toy?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
There is nothing sad about it. It would be close to impossible to play every good PS game released. It's perfectly fine to stick with one company if they're delivering the goods.
I've got titles dating back to the PS1 that I still plan to play someday! It's not like I'm knocking out one game a week and about to run dry. PS2 alone has a hell of a library.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that Bethesda's decision to bring Morrowind to the Xbox really helped to cultivate WRPGs, at least on console. I suppose you could throw Bioware and KOTOR in that as well.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Goku ever gets into Smash, that still wouldn't rate in the top 100 most significant events in video games.

Pong is up there.
The crash of the console market in America.
Donkey Kong (including the lawsuit between Universal and Nintendo)
The launch of the NES
Gameboy
Genesis vs. SNES
The establishment of the ESRB
Playstation
Super Mario 64
Microsoft enters the console market
Wii
The rise of mobile games
PS3/Xbox 360

The list goes on and on.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I have little personal mile stones I think of and Half-Life is my significant event. The entire package flipped a switch in my brain. From the first chapter of the game, to online play, to mods, and map creators. Opened up a world of possibility for years and year to come.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I would say the Favison 4800 in 1987. It rekindled and pushed a lot of home console sales with a few flag ship games like Sailing Pirates 2 and The Curse of Thomas Mason.

Like, the sales of the console exceeded 3.8 million within the first year to revistalize the market. Became a staple in almost everyone's living room. It also helped save Canadian gaming as it revitalized a lot of Montreal's game dev scene which led to a lot of jobs. You wouldn't have Ubisoft without Favison.

Maybe I am thinking too small and it is NES but Favison is my pick.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I've got titles dating back to the PS1 that I still plan to play someday! It's not like I'm knocking out one game a week and about to run dry. PS2 alone has a hell of a library.
I wonder if anyone with a diverse taste in games has gone through the PS2 lineup. It's so intimidating when you look at a list of games rated over 8.0. PS1 was like that too.

No one can play every game, so I think it makes sense for people to stick with the ones they like most.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
NES launch by far, is THE machine that paved the videogame industry in all directions.

The Nintendo/Sony feud was also big too.

For me OG Xbox online service is just an anecdote for americans, the console doesn't have any repercussion outside the US, and the Dreamcast online options were even more popular in my country first.