• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
- A more vibrant art style that is closer to Guilty Gear Xrd/2020 but less anime. This may actually be what we're getting as one of the pictures on the SNK website shows an artist working on an image of Raiden that does not correspond to any known game or spin-off with a cel-shaded artstyle.
- A more flexible combo system similar to the one in XIII. Oh, and give King her air Venom Strike back.
- Full multiplatform release with crossplay.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I want the graphics to be impressive enough that the casual buyer will want to pick the title up.

KOFXIV
the-king-of-fighters-xiv-screenshot-025-600x337.jpg

VS

Tekken 7
maxresdefault.jpg

Obviously i'm not expecting it to look like Tekken 7, especially if the word on it being for XB1, PS4, and Switch (Like SamSho) is true. But I think having something in the middle that looks better than SamSho would be a good move for more sales and reception after all of the games they have been having guests in to improve word of mouth.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys, all you screaming that SNK killed your eyes with the artstyle do realize that you all would be complaining that the roster only had like 18 people, right? They took a gamble and it was enough that they went on to make more. For goodness sake I really don't get why people think the KOFXV will somehow have the same art style if they continue 3D when we've seen their other 3D work. It's like it's some sort of reflex at this point to shit on this game.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I want the graphics to be impressive enough that the casual buyer will want to pick the title up.

KOFXIV
the-king-of-fighters-xiv-screenshot-025-600x337.jpg

VS

Tekken 7
maxresdefault.jpg

Obviously i'm not expecting it to look like Tekken 7, especially if the word on it being for XB1, PS4, and Switch (Like SamSho) is true. But I think having something in the middle that looks better than SamSho would be a good move for more sales and reception after all of the games they have been having guests in to improve word of mouth.

Do you want the Tekken 7 loading times too?

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
There's also a return on investment issue with 2D vs 3D. If SNK's planning to sell this as a full price $60 title, sprites aren't gonna fly at that price point, particularly among casual consumers who think 2D is the realm of the bargain bin or older consoles. And those casual buyers vastly outnumber the forum dwellers who sing the praises of SNK's pixel art.
Anybody who follows what's happening would understand that the talent in SNK wants to experiment further with 3D.
KOFXIV excelled from what they presented initially and had a great graphical update. They took their experience and created a unique look for Samurai Shodown. I believe for KoF XV they want to find the unique art style in 3D divorced from KoF XIV. So it's gonna be interesting to see.

Eventhough I love their 2D pixel art, it's not realistic to expect it for mainline games.
If they're gonna do a pixel project I assume it must be a glory project that surpasses KoF XII-XIII's sprites and much smaller ones like Garou, World Heroes, Last Blade 1-2 remake or other sleeping IPs. That's a very slim chance.I hope it happens but I see it is very slim.

PS. I hope they stop with creepy camera angles, unnecessary sexualization stuff. They definitely don't need it.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping/wishing for better graphics & art sytle/direction.

Not fond with Samurai Shodown or Street Fighter V art style, in my opinion...

While XIV it self was average to OK-is in graphics side, after patch that is.

Still really hoping Arc System Works would give them knowledge for their Guilty Gear art, XXXrd point forward.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Cel Shading and non interpolated anime style animations. Basically Xrd.

And Nona as main artist.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
- A more vibrant art style that is closer to Guilty Gear Xrd/2020 but less anime. This may actually be what we're getting as one of the pictures on the SNK website shows an artist working on an image of Raiden that does not correspond to any known game or spin-off with a cel-shaded artstyle.
- A more flexible combo system similar to the one in XIII. Oh, and give King her air Venom Strike back.
- Full multiplatform release with crossplay.
:O

That would be great! Kinda looks like a living breathing version of Ogura's artwork with maybe a bit of that animated Shinkiro style they used for KoF 94 Rebout's intro

^With better animation than this hopefully.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
That Raiden Screeny above does look pretty nice.

Eh, it's hard to know exactly what to want at the moment. I WANT them to make something that people won't belittle with stupid squabbling from day one. I unrealistically want every new character from XIV back, and some more new ones, and some old returning cast. I want Player characters cheering in the background, for a XI style tag system to be a OPTION for play, and some type of modes that SNK can claim as their own in Fighters going forward, much as ASW claims their SP stories as something to expect in their games.

My unrealistic desires for XIV would be for SNK to bank on the entirety of their catalogue and talents, and use that to prop the game up as their greatest series. If we're not getting pure KOF sprites anymore, include some spritework mini-games to explain the teams motivations and stuff. Get the Metal Slug Attack / Defense team to make a 2 or 3 Stage Ikari Slug game, Have in-between stages minigames like the bottle chopping and special move practice from Art of Fighting Arcade, bring back the arm wrestling from Fatal Fury, or do something with the skeleton of Samurai Shodown RPG. Do some spritework 2D stuff to keep the NeoGeo aspect constantly alive.

I think they'll have to be some compromises to give the masses what they want, though. Will we get much less characters out-the-gate, if we get those better graphics so many beg for? If we get special intros to return, will the characters have less EX moves? Will we get less stages, but each stage has 3 or 4 phases to it? *shrug* I'd actually love to see character intro animations, new outros, and growing rivalries pushed out with Patches. If Iori wins Evo, by defeating a Chin Getsai, give them a special intro to earmark the event! If fans start shipping a couple for some reason, play with the idea in game. Help the game react to the community, and give people a bit of something new to look forward to.

Definitely want them to get the netcode stuff sorted too, or course. Code Mystics seems to know how to wrap Rollback around their gameplay, get their consultation from Day 1 of Network production. Take cues from KI's way of having a double-FPS simplified version of the game running in the background, to let the rollback-code have a wider selection of frames to choose from, which meant that the rollbacks weren't as visually jarring as those in things like SFxT and SFV. Continue with the party lobby system, and bring back the features that XII tried to have like Clan-Battle lobbies.

Hopefully we have a tease around year's end. A model standing in a stage like May's quick preview in Guilty Gear would start setting expectations nicely.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With XIV's ending implying that a bunch of characters who were dead are now alive again, I want characters we haven't seen in years. Give me Yashiro, Chris, Shermie, Krizalid, Igniz etc. XIV's roster was good but there weren't any real crazy picks outside of like Rock.

Also, Team Kim Family featuring Kim, Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan. Do it SNK you cowards.

Yo wtf is this