• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm a little concerned about Days Gone tbh. I think the game is going to be good to great, but it could also flop commercially. I'm not sure how Sony is going to market this game. Bend isn't a well-known studio. From afar it just looks like another zombie game. It's going to be a tough task to sell this to the mainstream audience imo. Hopefully I'm wrong because I don't want this game to bomb and cause Bend to be closed down.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The only concern i have from the gameplay we saw it was the combat/physics looks bad, like weightless. I trust Sony Bend fix that. I hope the gameplay would be similar to the last of us. If so, im fine.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy the Zombie genre so I'm still interested in Days Gone. As usual I need to see alot more before I fully engage the hype train.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I like the open-world biker approach, but the rest looks a bit uninspired, so the story and characters will make it or break for me, especially since it seems to be pretty narrative-driven according to the trailer I saw.
I really hope it's good on that front and gives me a reason to care. The main actor's choice was a good decision in that regard.

ChaseMcClerkin

I'm really looking forward to it. Ever since the first reveal. I absolutely love the concept of a mass zombie mob chasing you and using the environment to slow them down/stop them to get away. The sizes of the mobs seem really impressive and the protagonist seems like he will be a bit unique.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number of zombies and their speed in this game have me intrigued. I'm pretty hyped for it and hoping there are no performance issues on the standard PS4,

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm a little concerned about Days Gone tbh. I think the game is going to be good to great, but it could also flop commercially. I'm not sure how Sony is going to market this game. Bend isn't a well-known studio. From afar it just looks like another zombie game. It's going to be a tough task to sell this to the mainstream audience imo. Hopefully I'm wrong because I don't want this game to bomb and cause Bend to be closed down.

Days Gone looking like any other post-apocalyptic zombie game is EXACTLY why it'll sell to the mainstream audience. Seems like an extremely easy game to market to me. The biker gang thing even adds to the cool factor.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it has looked pretty dry all things considered. i havent been impressed with what theyve shown so far and i know theres a hardworking team behind it but i just cant get into it. as people have noted, it kind of looks like a game sony would ask a studio to make that resembles the last of us

Thrillson

Oct 25, 2017
Uninspired. It's like they just slapped together what was cool in pop culture 5 years ago when they pitched the idea for this game.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
Like the concept but what we've seen from the story so far didn't grab me. I don't see myself playing it any time soon unless it reviews very well. State of Decay 2 and MG Survive are just too close in release for me to care about another zombie game. Especially if TLOU pt.2 somehow end up having a 2018 release date.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't know for sure until its released but I have a feeling this is one of those games that plays far better than it demos. Its all about emergent gameplay and its pretty hard to show that off in a heavily scripted demo. The most interest videos are often when its just the developers doing something and watching all the random things that can happen and the unintended, or intended, consequences of your actions. If all the systems live up to what we've heard about it could be something really cool.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Days Gone looking like any other post-apocalyptic zombie game is EXACTLY why it'll sell to the mainstream audience. Seems like an extremely easy game to market to me. The biker gang thing even adds to the cool factor.

I hope you're right, but among my gaming circle very few of my friends are interested in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the studio, they did good work on portable sony consoles. That said, this game is coming out in a poor time where people are kinda done with zombies and the grizzled asthetic has been done before (though not with a biker edge). I'm optimistic about the game but not the reception.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sony Bend really spent 3+ years working on a single player zombie game.

I hope y'all are ready to see them go the way of Guerilla Cambridge.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
All the demos have been relatively dull so far and had some janky animations, sounds, hit registration etc. However the way the devs have talked about the dynamic nature of the zombie, enemy, and weather systems has me intrigued and I hope it turns out well. They just need to show off that stuff better.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony Bend really spent 3+ years working on a single player zombie game.

I hope y'all are ready to see them go the way of Guerilla Cambridge.

I think it will sell just fine with the mass market. The views on youtube clearly indicate lots of interest.

And I agree completely RoboPlato

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I think it will sell just fine with the mass market. The views on youtube clearly indicate lots of interest.
I sure hope that's the case. There's a recurring trend of single player only western titles flopping tremendously. Mafia 3, Agents of Mayhem, Prey, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, The Surge, The Technomancer, Styx 2 etc etc etc etc. I've been hearing conflicting things about Days Gone may or may not being open world, but how do market a game like that -- a new IP by a dormant Sony house from the Ps2 era, being single player and about zombies? Horizon ZD released at such a fresh time where games like The Witcher were innovating in the open world space and GTA being a juggernaut in that regard. ZD had a fresh and unapproached aesthetic, with an interesting premise and cast.

I don't mean to sound cynical about it but I really don't have high hopes for the game. It's been demoed poorly at E3 and Bend's just too unproven for me to show any excitement for the product.

I do hope for the best though. I love Syphon Filter and I'd really like to see that game revisited.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
In every single demo they do of this game from now on they need to show two approaches to an enemy encounter. I got far more interested in this game when I saw that you can bypass whole cutscenes and have completely different weather depending on how you choose to go about things.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope that's the case. There's a recurring trend of single player only western titles flopping tremendously. Mafia 3, Agents of Mayhem, Prey, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, The Surge, The Technomancer, Styx 2 etc etc etc etc. I've been hearing conflicting things about Days Gone may or may not being open world, but how do market a game like that -- a new IP by a dormant Sony house from the Ps2 era, being single player and about zombies? Horizon ZD released at such a fresh time where games like The Witcher were innovating in the open world space and GTA being a juggernaut in that regard. ZD had a fresh and unapproached aesthetic, with an interesting premise and cast.

I don't mean to sound cynical about it but I really don't have high hopes for the game. It's been demoed poorly at E3 and Bend's just too unproven for me to show any excitement for the product.

I do hope for the best though. I love Syphon Filter and I'd really like to see that game revisited.

Where? I believe they have been clear about that from the beginning.

I hope can nail the emergent gameplay, however that has been promised before from many devs.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
It just looks a bit bland at this point. Zombies are so boring, and the "well this game is different because there's even more of them" angle is not really convincing me. If it were a biker gang game it would have been a lot more unique and I would have been all about it.
I loved GTA: Lost and Damned so that on a bigger scale would have made my mouth water.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Where? I believe they have been clear about that from the beginning.

I hope can nail the emergent gameplay, however that has been promised before from many devs.

So it is Open World?

I REALLY don't trust Bend to deliver on 'emergent' gameplay. I don't trust any developer on that front honestly, other than ARkane of course.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Honestly, I'm a little sick of zombies. To be fair, like anything, if they implement it in a meaningful way, then it could be interesting. In regards to Days Gone, I haven't been really following the game very much, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's off my radar. It's a really nice looking game. Maybe closer to the release, I'll get a little bit more hyped up.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
  1. no coop
  2. no story/or little story so far
  3. which means not having a character creator is wack
it's dead 2 me.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It looks like a really quality product, but I'm not sure if I really need another zombie apocalypse story in my life.

Wish Bend the best of luck, though.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like a bland frat guy version of Last of Us brought to us by people who also tragically enjoy The Walking Dead show

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I sure hope that's the case. There's a recurring trend of single player only western titles flopping tremendously. Mafia 3, Agents of Mayhem, Prey, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, The Surge, The Technomancer, Styx 2 etc etc etc etc. I've been hearing conflicting things about Days Gone may or may not being open world, but how do market a game like that -- a new IP by a dormant Sony house from the Ps2 era, being single player and about zombies?

How do you market a game from an extremely popular genre, whose main character has lots of similarities to the fan-favorite character from that frustratingly mediocre yet ridiculously popular AMC zombie show ?

This thing practically markets itself.

Also mass market doesn't give a damn what studio this is from.

OP
OP
Biggui4yew

Biggui4yew

Permanently banned for using a prohibited email.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a bland frat guy version of Last of Us brought to us by people who also tragically enjoy The Walking Dead show
Nothing wrong with a frat style Last of Us, or WD style game. However, these aren't really similar to Days Gone imo.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looked generic. Then again I'm just burnt out on zombies in general. Come to think of it, the only zombie game I've liked in a long time was Dying Light.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It needs a demo. Right now it's too much like Last of Us, in video impressions.

I heard the game is dynamic, so give us a small sandbox to test that out.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
How do you market a game from an extremely popular genre, whose main character has lots of similarities to the fan-favorite character from that frustratingly mediocre yet ridiculously popular AMC zombie show ?

This thing practically markets itself.

Also mass market doesn't give a damn what studio this is from.

Zombie games don't sell anymore. 5 Days to Die or whatever bombed, Dead Rising 4 bombed. The pre-release reception of Days Gone and State of Decay 2 have been lukewarm at best -- the latter having to do mostly with it's visuals. Your best bet is Resident Evil being the main zombie game powerhouse and even that kind of flopped this year.

The Walking Dead is a tanking show in viewership with more people taking their attention to shows following the GoT formula.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but I think that was just really early and it will turn out fine.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Cant say its on my radar right now, not a good showing at E3 for me. I'm sure it will sell a lot though

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Zombie games don't sell anymore. 5 Days to Die or whatever bombed, Dead Rising 4 bombed. The pre-release reception of Days Gone and State of Decay 2 have been lukewarm at best -- the latter having to do mostly with it's visuals. Your best bet is Resident Evil being the main zombie game powerhouse and even that kind of flopped this year.

The Walking Dead is a tanking show in viewership with more people taking their attention to shows following the GoT formula.

You're talking about low/medium budget games with little to no marketing. As for RE7, it sold decently but going back to the horror roots meant the pool of potential buyers would be lower.

I agree that being just a "zombie game" is not enough.

As a package though I think it has a lot going for it. There aren't that many open-world post-apocalyptic zombie/biker games with AAA production values. I think Horizon was much more of a gamble.

The Walking Dead may be losing viewers but it's still an extremely popular show worldwide, second only to GoT. It will get people's attention, it just needs a decent release date, and Sony has been pretty competent lately for this sort of decision.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
It has potential, but I'm wary that much of what we've seen thus far represents cherry-picked vertical slices.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna get it but I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise. I'm not particularly hyped for it though.

BaasRed

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UAE
It just looks to me like a very bland open world zombie game. Sony already has Last of Us so this game genre wise feels redundant imo. Maybe the open world will be nice?

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
While the burnout from open world/survival horror games is creeping forward, if the game manages to represent the human condition in an apocalypse like TLOU then I will be very intrigued! I hope that they do manage to create a feeling of despair while also touching on the culture of being a biker in a zombie infested wasteland. I just hope the game doesn't fall flat on it's face :/