• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've recently found out about this guy due to some YT recommendation, which are usually borderline terrible. He seems very willing to debate alt-right types on many issues. They're rather entertaining to watch. I would love him to tackle a bigger alt right figure like a Stefan Molyneux. I think debate is a interesting format for this topics because in a debate you can see how certain alt right talking points don't make sense. Many alt-right types are anti immigration, yet they contradict their whole population growth focus since most Western world population increases are driven by immigration. And growing populations are essential for healthy economies.

This is what I expected more from a Dave Rubin and Sam Harris, but they seem to more focused finding people they agree with than spirited debate.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Been watching him avidly for 7 or so years. The only person that has withstand time (entertainment wise) for me.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
He is a horrible, bigoted person who feigns decency for views. He admits he says awful shit in private because he wouldn't have a career if he says what he wants to.

Like, the dude got perma-banned here for his awful shit.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
He's a great guy and his debates are amazing every time. My favorites so far are his debates with DickMasterson, NoBullshit and the ones where he goes 5v1 with some alt-right assholes and demolishes them.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like him but I was pretty disappointed at his behavior in that thread... lol. One of the very few streamer personalities I could stand.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
He's actually a terrible person. He's just playing an act, he doesn't actually believe a lot of the shit he says:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShyBlueCakeBatChest

I don't know if that clip works in the way you want it to, though. He seems to have a hardline stance against homophobia and does not want to empower it in any fashion, but he is an edgelord in his personal life that uses shitty words privately. That's not him playing an act. In the end it seems like he's against bigotry, just doesn't care about private use of language.

In a majority of his debates it's pretty clear that he is very against racism/sexism/homophobia. Mind you, he can still be a shitty person who uses bad words carelessly, and I don't want to be defending that. But he also does real damage to the alt right people he debates.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Terrible taste in video games, music, movies. One of the best youtubers and online political commentators.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I mean he's just a guy who likes to win arguments.
At least he is usually on the right side of arguments because he acknowledges that science and evidence is mostly in line with progressive viewpoints.

I think he is a bit psychopathic, personally. He admits he cares more about his arguments than any moral stance, and wouldn't care about killing people if it wasn't for a social contract that prevented other people from killing him.

I think he argued at length for an hour about how he would feel fine killing a dog or other animal because it can't sign a contract with him to not kill him.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't know if that clip works in the way you want it to, though. He seems to have a hardline stance against homophobia and does not want to empower it in any fashion, but he is an edgelord in his personal life that uses shitty words privately. That's not him playing an act. In the end it seems like he's against bigotry, just doesn't care about private use of language.

In a majority of his debates it's pretty clear that he is very against racism/sexism/homophobia. Mind you, he can still be a shitty person who uses bad words carelessly, and I don't want to be defending that. But he also does real damage to the alt right people he debates.
This.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
A dude that debates blatantly stupid people to make himself look smart.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
He was a clown from before the debate days where he was just a starcraft streamer that was a raging asshole. A lot of people buy his bullshit these days because he debates alt-right jackasses, and he is cashing in on all of them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

You. Cannot. Be. Against. Bigotry. And. Then. Be. A. Bigot. Privately.

That's not how any of this works.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's just a guy who likes to win arguments.
At least he is usually on the right side of arguments because he acknowledges that science and evidence is mostly in line with progressive viewpoints.

I think he is a bit psychopathic, personally. He admits he cares more about his arguments than any moral stance, and wouldn't care about killing people if it wasn't for a social contract that prevented other people from killing him.

I think he argued at length for an hour about how he would feel fine killing a dog or other animal because it can't sign a contract with him to not kill him.

Yeah, I'd say this is a more accurate characterization of him. He frequently makes it clear that he's not interested in moral arguments because he doesn't believe in morals, but he is a firm defender of what he thinks is scientific truths, which usually ends with him defending progressive viewpoints against alt right shitheads who argue for eugenics and whatnot.

I'm not trying to reconcile his beliefs, but it's clear that he doesn't believe in the power of words beyond their ability to do damage in public, and he values being able to make edgy jokes as long as, in his opinion, they aren't actually hurting anyone outside his private circles.

I'm not defending that stance here, but I'd say him destroying alt righters and publicly ridiculing them and not publicly using slurs is a net positive.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He was a clown from before the debate days where he was just a starcraft streamer that was a raging asshole. A lot of people buy his bullshit these days because he debates alt-right jackasses, and he is cashing in on all of them.

Kiwifarms is literally trying to frame him as a pedophile and get his son shot. Like they have threads discussing how to destroy his life in the most despicable ways imaginable.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Done and done.

It's entertaining how people who "debate" him will show just how they dumb their views actually are, but that's on them being complete idiots, not on Destiny being some noble person looking out for the downtrodden or whatever.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trying to reconcile his beliefs, but it's clear that he doesn't believe in the power of words beyond their ability to do damage in public, and he values being able to make edgy jokes as long as, in his opinion, they aren't actually hurting anyone outside his private circles.

I'm not defending that stance here, but I'd say him destroying alt righters and publicly ridiculing them and not publicly using slurs is a net positive.
It doesn't matter what he believes. He spreads hate privately, and actually publically (because he likes to rail on the fact he has to keep it a secret which pumps up his minions). It doesn't fucking matter if it's his private circle, and they're certainly not edgy jokes. Holy shit.

FYI, saying they're edgy jokes is defending it. You're downplaying the actual harm there.

Oct 25, 2017
I love him, but he's also incredibly edgy and quite frankly stupid in how he approaches morality and philosophy.
Even if you're inherent beliefs are that you only are an ally to others because objectively progressive ideals benefit the world and therefore yourself, you don't present it as "I'm not your friendly progressive and I don't care about you".
He also refuses to simply admit fault for his use of slurs and that he uses them out of anger.
Granted be, he's fairly intelligent and incredibly entertaining and has been improving content wise over the past year.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It doesn't matter what he believes. He spreads hate privately, and actually publically (because he likes to rail on the fact he has to keep it a secret which pumps up his minions). It doesn't fucking matter if it's his private circle, and they're certainly not edgy jokes. Holy shit.

FYI, saying they're edgy jokes is defending it. You're downplaying the actual harm there.

This sums up his views on it

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
He's actually a terrible person. He's just playing an act, he doesn't actually believe a lot of the shit he says:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShyBlueCakeBatChest
Let's keep it real here, you know he is not a bigot, you know he is not a racist, you know he is not a sexist, and he has done far more in combating alt-right assholes on the internet(like exposing JonTron) then almost anyone, but your issue with him is that he uses naughty words in private? Or that he used to do it, as is mentioned in that video you linked?

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That makes him no different from the countless racists who publicly say discrimination is wrong while privately making racist jokes, and those people are very much putting on an act.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Let's not forget that Destiny was banned from Twitch for 30 days. He then went on to defend his usage of the word "faggot" publicly. This wasn't private.

Let's keep it real here, you know he is not a bigot, you know he is not a racist, you know he is not a sexist, and he has done far more in combating alt-right assholes on the internet(like exposing JonTron) then almost anyone, but your issue with him is that he uses naughty words in private? Or that he used to do it, as is mentioned in that video you linked?

He was banned from Twitch for 30 days for a combination of using the word "faggot" in a HEATED GAMING MOMENT and a joke about Cubans. He has so far mostly just defended his usage of the word. He's not what you think he is. Like, c'mon.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I never watched his stuff or paid too much attention to him, but from what I've seen from his starcraft days, he comes across as kind of a jerk who likes the sound of his own voice way too much.

Oh wait, I'm remembering more now. He had some flak with a former girlfriend or something, and his takeaway was to just treat women like children to avoid offending him. Now I remember why I don't like him.

Last edited:

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Let's not forget that Destiny was banned from Twitch for 30 days. He then went on to defend his usage of the word "faggot" publicly. This wasn't private.

He was banned from Twitch for 30 days for a combination of using the word "faggot" in a HEATED GAMING MOMENT and a joke about Cubans. He has so far mostly just defended his usage of the word. He's not what you think he is. Like, c'mon.
Hmmmm the Cuban joke that he was banned for, would you mind telling us the context?

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the same Destiny who sometimes plays LoL with Disguised Toast and friends? If so, he's a huge douche.

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017

The Cuban thing wasn't a joke it was him arguing with his mother, who is cuban and voted for trump, and she was saying that the US government should be deporting illegals and generally agreeing with trumps positions on the matter. Destiny used an extreme example of asking his mother if Cuban immigrants being shot at as a deterrence to them attempting to gain entry to the country was OK since she was seemingly OK with immigrants of other nationalities being treated harshly. The point was to draw out her hypocrisy on the position, which the example did since she wasn't OK with it happening to Cubans specifically. He was apparently told that this was the main reason he was banned.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I literally said I am not in favor of his stance and was just characterizing his stance without myself making any sort of endorsement of it, but if you want to jump down my throat, sure.

Oct 27, 2017
A person who is at the crosshairs of both Left or Right.

People with deep progressive beliefs hate him for language, engaging with the right, troll-persona, self-centered arguments.
Alt-right and conservatives hate him for dismantling their arguments, personalities and generally being left-leaning in terms of political and ideological beliefs.

I have no doubt that he has turned a lot of the viewers around when it comes to exposing the far-right bullshit. He already had to scale back on the political stuff, I hope that he doesn't go full-gaming but keeps a healthy balance between gaming and political debates/monologues.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
When you call it edgy jokes then you're not calling it what it really is.

In case your reading comprehension is broken, let me repeat as clearly as possible. I don't think they are edgy jokes. He thinks they're edgy jokes. Not me. I can't characterize what he says in private because I have no idea what he says. But I can assume they're shitty things to say, which I explicitly mentioned in my above post.

I'm glad that this is the fight you're interested in fighting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.