• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I actually got into Phil Collins through film with both American Psycho and Disney's Tarzan. I've been a fan ever since. His stuff just has a timeless feel. I also love his use of synths.

My favorite single of his is rather predictable, In The Air Tonigth. The Tarzan soundtrack is also rather excellent.

What are your thoughts on Phil Collins?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I enjoy it a lot. Well the early stuff.

Two Hearts
Paradise
In The Air Tonight
Easy Lover
Against All Odds
Don't Lose My Number
Susudio
I Don't Care Anymore

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
No Jacket Required and Face Value fucking slap hard.

Though personally, I much prefer Peter Gabriel's and Steve Hackett's solo output.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He riffed off his time with Peter well and learned from him, making lesser but more commerical thrivable works that I stlll love.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
it¿s poppy as fuck but I don't care: ...But Seriously is literally one of the albums of my childhood and I love it for that. Immense amounts of nostalgia and a warmness that I know I can find there.

Also Hello, I Must Be Going! is underrated as fuck. Has some of the angriest songs Phil did in his solo work!

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm still a bit grumpy about Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis. Ask me about the other guys in another twenty years or so when I may have got over it.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Sussudio and Easy lover are great songs. The rest...

giphy.gif

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's okay, catchy stuff is catchy and not everything is a smash hit, but that's okay.

My coworker recently used Phil Collins in his argument for why Peter North should have a star on the walk of fame. "Many people cannot do what Phil Collins does, and he has a star. Do you think Phil Collins can do what Peter North does?" The mental image was enough to shut the discussion down.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Against All Odds is arguably the greatest "baby, please don't leave" song ever written. It feels extremely personal for many of those who've had someone dump them.

I had Sussudio playing at my wedding reception right after Hip To Be Square as an inside joke for my friends that saw American Psycho.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Groovy Kind of Love is offensive to me, and I don't really care for Another Day in Paradise either.

But I do like a lot of his other stuff

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Loved it, i like it more than his Genesis stuff. Also Tarzan is the best soundrack for any Disney Movie. My favorie song of his is "Two Hearts"

Oct 28, 2017
Easy Lover and the Tarzan soundtrack should have shut up the haters for all time but it hasn't and we are in a worse world because of it.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Remember when he did a song with Bone Thugs n Harmony and it resulted in one of the most unintentionally hilarious music videos ever?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think much of it, to be honest. I never listen to it.
Good for him though. He wanted to make commercially successful songs and he did. Must have made quite a few pennies.

Edit: hoooo, wait. "Against all Odds" was the song of me and my girlfriend back then. It was her choice though. Never liked it. But it does bring back memories.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Against all Odds was the only song i could ace in expert in Dance Dance Revolution back in the day. Not really relevant to the thread and that version was a remix not performed by Phil, but just wanted to mention it LOL.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Love Phil. First concert I ever went to was in the summer of 1985 on his No Jacket Required tour. Something about his voice gives me chills.

Favorite solo songs include:

I Don't Care Anymore
I Wish it Would Rain Down
Take Me Home
Against All Odds
Easy Lover
Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away