• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the Leaving Neverland documentary gathering a lot of attention, it made me think back to the Moonwalker games of almost three decades ago. After watching that, it really cemented the fact that I definitely think Michael Jackson was guilty of those charges. It was disturbing to watch.

What do you think of playing these old games now? For me, I'm generally a "separate the art from the artist" type but I find it tougher with these as you play as Michael Jackson himself and he rescues kids in the games. I especially enjoyed the Genesis game back then it's impossible to view them the same as I did in 1990.

These games are mostly creations of developers like Emerald Software/U.S. Gold and Sega but they still use MJ's music and had a lot of input from him, at least the Sega titles did.
WZamJT.jpg

WZasSb.jpg

WZa3x7.jpg
WZaKRr.gif

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am also one of those people that can separate what an artist did musically etc., with who they actually are as a person. I can see how since you are directly playing as Michael it can be weird though.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there no definitive proof that Micheal Jackson was guilty of the alleged assaults? I thought in a number of cases the stories were fabricated by parents and children were pressured into saying confirming statements all for potential settlement money. Still, I don't think we should come to a conclusion about him before all facts have been gathered.

Still, it's hard to consider a reality where I no longer listen to Micheal Jackson. R.Kelly still made good music after his allegations way back in 2001 or 2002. Although I do think that fucker was guilty. Chris Brown also made some decent stuff too since his domestic abuse situation. It's hard to completely erase their "art" from your everyday life is what I'm saying regardless of your opinions on them.

I still like the Moonwalker game, I remember playing it when I was younger and enjoying it.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I dont think anyone plays those. Is this thread simply trying to start the DMCV thread conversation again?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not a problem for me as I always found that game unplayable due to creepiness factor, and not just the obvious children thing, it's just strange in general, and not what I consider the goofy or campy fun sort of strange but the creepy and offputting kind.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Due process and the presumption of innocence is something that we have gotten away from in the social media age.

I got no problem with the game or MJs music.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Well I'm not exactly booting up the ol' Megadrive to play Michael Jackson's Moonwalker every single day but one thing that is interesting is that MJ composed songs for Sonic 3, a game that I really like.

I think MJ's involvement in the OST for Sonic 3 is the main thing stopping SEGA from re-releasing the game again. If they do they'll probably have to create replacement tracks.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's also just a terribly unfun game.
Yeah there is also that. I was just trying to say even without the allegations or shadow hanging over the legacy, if he was universally loved with no doubts it's still weird in the unsettling way. And as you said not fun, I didn't find it fun back then either and it was when none of this was a thing (yes I am old).

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is also that. I was just trying to say even without the allegations or shadow hanging over the legacy, if he was universally loved with no doubts it's still weird in the unsettling way. And as you said not fun, I didn't find it fun back then either and it was when none of this was a thing (yes I am old).

To be clear I agreed with your original comments as well. This is something where I think there's so much stacked against this game that even before the Neverland documentary I feel like there's very little redeeming about the title that aside from satiating a curiosity or scratching some nostalgic itch, and as such there's no reason for anyone to consider playing this game in the Year of our Lord 2019. In an alternate reality where Michael Jackson's reputation remained pristine it's still a bizarre, unfun title.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Due process and the presumption of innocence is something that we have gotten away from in the social media age.

I got no problem with the game or MJs music.
due process died when people's court proved to be faster, meanier and always siding with with the victim.

as MJ is dead, he does not profit anymore of anything related to him so if I decided to keep playing the games it wont profit him so thats cool with me

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Never played this game and I am a big Sega fan. The game always looked terrible. Onviously the concept is creepy in hindsight but there is no way Sega could've known that in 1990.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the point in refusing to play the Moonwalker games? Michael Jackson is dead and those games are only available second hand. Neither Michael Jackson or his estate is getting any revenue from those games.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
BrasĂ­lia
The only thing I believe that MJ is guilty is to save millions of children's lives with his humanitarian works.

So, nothing chance for me. But... These games are bad and I don't want to play them never again.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am also one of those people that can separate what an artist did musically etc., with who they actually are as a person. I can see how since you are directly playing as Michael it can be weird though.
I was listening to a local sports station the day the documentary dropped and some hosts and callers were calling for a complete ban of his music from everything as well as basically erasing him from history. The ironic thing was these hosts and these callers are constantly trying to get team owners to get rapists, murderers, sex offenders, and domestic abusers on their teams because it's all about winning a championship.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I looked at this game as an odd relic as long ago as the early 90s. The stuff about child abuse was already floating around back then, and the idea that Sega would make a game about him saving children became dated and problematic incredibly fast.

It was actually the same as Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, which very quickly came to star a violent convicted rapist. But he's actually used the decades since to repair his image. I mean he has a modern cartoon....

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think MJ's involvement in the OST for Sonic 3 is the main thing stopping SEGA from re-releasing the game again. If they do they'll probably have to create replacement tracks.
It could be that or because of Ice Cap Zone being an unreleased track from a band that, well, is released now so Sega probably will have to pay royalties for it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people are saying "the game" but there are multiple. The computer Moonwalker game is way different than the Sega games. And among the Sega games, the arcade version is much different than the Genesis/Master System one (even that one has level design differences between 8 and 16-bit).

I looked at this game as an odd relic as long ago as the early 90s. The stuff about child abuse was already floating around back then, and the idea that Sega would make a game about him saving children became dated and problematic incredibly fast.

It was actually the same as Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, which very quickly came to star a violent convicted rapist. But he's actually used the decades since to repair his image. I mean he has a modern cartoon....
Sega was quick to drop him but I did manage to briefly come across Scramble Training around 1993.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Moonwalker was a bad game when it came out and it sure as hell didn't age well both for gameplay and...other reasons, so I can't say I'd have any interest.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be clear I agreed with your original comments as well. This is something where I think there's so much stacked against this game that even before the Neverland documentary I feel like there's very little redeeming about the title that aside from satiating a curiosity or scratching some nostalgic itch, and as such there's no reason for anyone to consider playing this game in the Year of our Lord 2019. In an alternate reality where Michael Jackson's reputation remained pristine it's still a bizarre, unfun title.
Same page then, thought so but good to know for sure.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Who's even thinking about playing this game in 2019 besides twitch streamers? I don't feel like this is a moral quandary for 99% of the human population.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo had the most fortuitous timing imaginable. They signed Tyson for Punch-Out just before he got super-popular and decided not to renew their deal (when he would have been far more expensive) just before Tyson became a PR nightmare.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I personally can separate the person from the artist. Regardless of Michael outside of his music. What he did for the music industry is impeccable. While i haven't watched the recent documentary, I can still play the games. Had great memories of them growing up.

Edit: Now would I play them now? No. Gameplay is pretty dated. Would probably touch for like 5 mins for nostalgia purposes, but that's about it.

Last edited:

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I used to love renting the master system version, and then when I got a mega drive and played it there I thought it was so cool.

There was talk of when Michael Jackson died of Sega somehow releasing them again which they never did which is a bummer for me as it was one of my favourite games that I can't play officially today just like I can't play spy vs spy which I loved on the master system as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I got pretty far in it a year ago at a work party (barcade event). Probably would play it again. I didn't think it was as dated as people are making it out to be? (Or I guess the punisher and cadillacs vs dinosaurs would be considered super outdated too if thats the case)

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Inflammatory dismissal of sexual abuse allegations; previous severe infractions
I have no way of playing the game but I AM sticking with my avatar. I really wish people that take things at face value did some actual research because the mainstream media is ignoring cold hard damning facts AND proof that these two men are anything but trustworthy. Actually they are admitted liars and perjurers and much more. Again, please fact check them!!!!!!!!

Wade Robson

Their stories have also changed several times and they are full of contradictions and inconsistencies. When Wade the filed his lawsuit against the estate he had to present the judge with a diary of his own and in it it says he's doing this to save his failing career and to be relevant and relatable again.

Before he had even sued the estate he had been singing MJ's praises. Begged to be at the memorial and cried his eyes out. Has a chapter in the opus book called My Mentor and calls MJ one of the most amazing human beings, something along those lines, it was with even more praise. Did tons of tribute shows but only when he was denied a role for the Cirque show by the estate he did a complete turnaround and realized he was abuse. What does he do? He tries to have a tell all book published, nobody interested. Then sues estate for undisclosed amount of money. Case thrown out for above reasons about diary and lying under oath.

James Safechuck

He is being sued himself and in his own word he saw Wade in TV and suddenly realized he was abused too. Joined Wade. I can go on and on but it's best to watch this here video. He's to my knowledge not a fan but he brings facts and in the link that I will post you will even see proof.

There's also a document on Twitter where it can be seen that Wade and his mother were scheming the different versions of their story. The link I will place under the video. It's a investigative journalist doing the mainstream media's job but again, they all ignore it.

Https://youtu.be/zYx0vLfpRYY

https://m.facebook.com/577086997/posts/10156642832831998?sfns=mo

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people on enthusiast video game boards play 30 year old games even if the average person doesn't. These games are niche but not ultra obscure.

Even on Era I think the majority view the game as an oddity of a particular time in gaming history and don't feel compelled to revisit it that often/ever. Your thread is literally the second one even talking about Moonwalker on Era.
tenor.gif

Discontent

May 25, 2018
This. As long as there is no proof that he was guilty I have no problem with the games or his music. Innocent until proven guilty.

Agreed. I hope none of the people that side with the victims without proof ever get elected for jury duty holy shit.

The game was fun as a kid but like most games I liked back then it's probably shit now.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Well I'm not exactly booting up the ol' Megadrive to play Michael Jackson's Moonwalker every single day but one thing that is interesting is that MJ composed songs for Sonic 3, a game that I really like.

They actually did make replacement tracks for the PC version they released in 1996.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit game back then and shittier now so have no interest to play it.

His music is legendary though. No scandal will ever stop me thinking that.

Oct 26, 2017
I can separate the two. I have absolutely no desire to play any of those games though, all of those Michael Jackson games seem like shit to me.

Saw/read both of those over the weekend, they were very interesting and definitely raise some questions.

It's basically like the 2005 trial but with a "documentary" built around it, that not only shows how one sided it is, is also fails to present any evidence. But there is actually plenty of facts and even proof that these men are liars.

But when the general public only gets to see that "doc" and the media doesn't cover anything that this freelance journalist and the other, a Youtuber DO show, it's no wonder that there will always be people siding with the two men.

The document I was talking about. Wade and his mom.

https://twitter.com/DangerousIncHS/status/1104904331034284032?s=09

The media did cover the whole Jussie Smollett situation well at the end of the day, but when it cokes to MJ... all the slander is fair game. People really need to wake up. I hope this can go to court. But I doubt it works like that.